HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 12:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Thanks, guys!

Pallo:

No, we're basically the opposite of Australia as far as fauna is concerned. The island has no snakes, nor anything especially dangerous. The biggest risk to people are moose. They're massive animals balanced atop tall, thin legs - so when you hit them with your car, you just sweep their legs out from under them and the whole body comes down on top of you. There are fatalities every year.

There are a lot of delays and cancellations at our airport. They're currently working on an expansion that will include installing equipment that makes foggy landings easier. It's not that much of an inconvenience right now as we're the end of the line for most flights that arrive here. There is basically no one flying here from X to connect to Y. We're their starting or final destination. It can be annoying. I've been flying home from mainland Canada and had to turn around for a 1.5-hour diversion to Halifax (the nearest major Canadian city), and then 1.5 hours back again when the fog cleared.

Worst case scenario, they put you down elsewhere on the island - usually Gander or Deer Lake. Then you have a 7-10 hour bus ride back to the city.

Also, good timing. Went for a walk this morning and it was foggy as fuck. A few quick and dirty mobile pics:

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 3:02 AM
RIP Knut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Thanks, guys!

Pallo:

No, we're basically the opposite of Australia as far as fauna is concerned. The island has no snakes, nor anything especially dangerous. The biggest risk to people are moose. They're massive animals balanced atop tall, thin legs - so when you hit them with your car, you just sweep their legs out from under them and the whole body comes down on top of you. There are fatalities every year.

There are a lot of delays and cancellations at our airport. They're currently working on an expansion that will include installing equipment that makes foggy landings easier. It's not that much of an inconvenience right now as we're the end of the line for most flights that arrive here. There is basically no one flying here from X to connect to Y. We're their starting or final destination. It can be annoying. I've been flying home from mainland Canada and had to turn around for a 1.5-hour diversion to Halifax (the nearest major Canadian city), and then 1.5 hours back again when the fog cleared.

Worst case scenario, they put you down elsewhere on the island - usually Gander or Deer Lake. Then you have a 7-10 hour bus ride back to the city.
Thanks

So if I ever plan to visit St John's in winter I guess I will need to go to Montreal first leave my stuff with relatives and then attempt to catch a flight to St John's just with a carry on just for a few days and hope that I can make it back to Montreal

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 3:12 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That works, yeah. Not many flights here from Montreal, though. I believe only one per day and it lands in the middle of the night.

Toronto is our main connection city.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 3:03 AM

Nice set - looks like this is a city begging for me to photograph it. I should visit but I find that for a lot cheaper than the airfare to St. John's (from Toronto) I could get to NYC, Havana, New Orleans and even Mexico City. So one of these days.

Interesting they had a Pro-Palestine demo without incident. Here in T.O. any such demos are met with taunting counter demonstrators. I loved the one sign from one of the persons "They dug tunnels in the Warsaw Ghettos"

I did live in Torbay the first 3 years of my life though.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos