HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 6:35 PM

Novus (Richmond)

a representative from Novus called me yesterday and they said they will come to my unit and install the services (TV, Internet, and Phone) next week. I wonder your comments and please discuss what you think of Novus....

wait for so long time (4 months)... because I understand that they need the approvals from City of Richmond.

Novus

Last edited by argon007; Dec 18, 2011 at 7:28 AM. Reason: grammar problem fixed

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 8:25 PM

I use them (for internet only) in Vancouver - by far the best internet provider I've ever had. Way better prices and speeds than Telus or Rogers, and the only time I had to call them I didn't have to wait on the line.

Also, they increased my downstream speed and data cap by a significant amount a few months ago at no cost. Strongly recommended.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
I use them (for internet only) in Vancouver - by far the best internet provider I've ever had. Way better prices and speeds than Telus or Rogers, and the only time I had to call them I didn't have to wait on the line.

Also, they increased my downstream speed and data cap by a significant amount a few months ago at no cost. Strongly recommended.
yeah and when i look up their twitter account, they are promoting their novus products when the customers are complaining about shaw and telus. i also write an email to their account manager about this to wonder how to promote their products without choices of their customers? he emailed me back:

Quote:
We do know our weakness, but due to early experience, we need to expand gradually to make sure everything is in the plan.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 2:51 AM

I had Novus in downtown Vancouver. Fantastic internet speeds and great overall prices.

Unfortunately they are on old generation TV technology, so they can't compare to Telus Optik or Shaw's Gateway multiroom solutions. It all depends on what is important to you.

VOIP phone offering has a few cool features.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 4:06 AM

Perhaps it's worth noting here that Novus actually has some cellphone spectrum rights... but I haven't heard of them doing anything of late to capitalize on that. Of course the somewhat congested market and the fact that Shaw has opted out is probably why they're holding back too...?

It's also worth noting that their optic services only exist in the dense residential areas at the moment due to the high cost of building them I assume.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 4:15 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

NOVUS IS THE BEST ..... PERIOD.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 4:19 AM

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 7:42 AM

Quote:
There are some limitations for the phone service. 1. It doesn't work with fax and monitored alarm; 2. For long distance call service, you can only use Novus's service or phone card; 3. In case of any power outage or internet failure, the phone won’t work; 4. It cannot make 1900 calls and we do not do collect calls; 5. It takes 4-6 weeks to port the phone number over to Novus. 6. It’s not compatible with ADT security system.
Here is a response of Novus representative. I don't understand what "monitored alarm" and "ADT security system" means? anyone can explain? by the way, I will use skype for long distance call.

also, I don't understand what 4. means? does that mean if it makes 1900 calls in one month, they won't collect calls?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 7:45 AM

Monitored alarm / ADT Security System would be for your house. You could not have a home security system through your phone line as normal.

By 1900 they mean 1-900 numbers. Those are usually phone sex lines anyways Guess you have to miss out on that. Calling collect is having the person you're calling paying your long distance charges for you.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Monitored alarm / ADT Security System would be for your house. You could not have a home security system through your phone line as normal.

By 1900 they mean 1-900 numbers. Those are usually phone sex lines anyways Guess you have to miss out on that. Calling collect is having the person you're calling paying your long distance charges for you.
thanks for response. we don't call those numbers. Monitored alarm / ADT security alarm... in my apartment, they use them independently (not by phone).

and also if I don't have call-forwarding in telus, what happens would it be?

Quote:
Please make sure you have "call forwarding" feature on your Telus phone.

Last edited by argon007; Dec 18, 2011 at 9:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 10:50 PM

The call forwarding involves being able to fwd your current number to a temporary Novus number, as it takes them 7-10 days to get your old number assigned to them from Telus. Otherwise your calls will go "nowhere" for that time period (or less).

I hope that explanation makes sense. If not just give Novus a call and they will explain it better. This happens with all providers when you change and want to keep your phone number, although I think it's harder for Novus being a VOIP provider.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by argon007 View Post
and also if I don't have call-forwarding in telus, what happens would it be?
your use of the English language is awesome I want to say. Maybe you would understand what NOVUS told you if you had a better grasp of the English language. then again .... maybe not

"what happens would it be?" ........ LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I need to add that as my sig ..... stand by

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
your use of the English language is awesome I want to say. Maybe you would understand what NOVUS told you if you had a better grasp of the English language. then again .... maybe not

"what happens would it be?" ........ LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I need to add that as my sig ..... stand by
It's estimated over 50% of people in Richmond do not speak english as first language and over 25 % do not speak english at all.

Ron.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 6:30 AM

Come on hollywoodnorth, that's a little harsh. English isn't exactly an easy language to learn from scratch.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The call forwarding involves being able to fwd your current number to a temporary Novus number, as it takes them 7-10 days to get your old number assigned to them from Telus. Otherwise your calls will go "nowhere" for that time period (or less).

I hope that explanation makes sense. If not just give Novus a call and they will explain it better. This happens with all providers when you change and want to keep your phone number, although I think it's harder for Novus being a VOIP provider.
Thanks for response. I think I understand now.

and also, when will Novus have fax compatible? it said it does not work with fax. I understand that is because of VoIP. but if it has fax compatible, it will be more convenience.

Last edited by argon007; Dec 19, 2011 at 7:46 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion