HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Ah yes, our ye olde TV programmes come on earlier out here, tis true!
Hm? I assume you're only talking about nationally televised sporting events?

Everything has always been on "tape-delay" on the west coast, at least when it comes to most awards shows, except for the Oscars, which are always live nationwide. National sporting events are also live, and I guess maybe those are geared towards east coast viewers, start time-wise. And of course the Olympics usually being held in another part of the world, are usually on tape-delay in the US, at least on broadcast TV.

Otherwise, "prime-time" broadcast TV shows always start at 8pm local time on the east and west coasts, and it was always 7pm local time for Central and Mountain time zones, I believe---meaning of course for example, back in the 80s, "Moonlighting" was on at 9pm on the east coast, and then when it hit 9pm on the west coast, "Moonlighting" would start; it never aired at 9pm on the east coast and then at the same time viewers on the west coast would be watching it at 6pm Pacific time, which is what you seem to be implying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Because professionals in SF still live on East Coast time. As someone who is very much not a morning person, it’s one reason I would struggle to live there.
Which professionals would those be? Like people who work at call centers? Back in the 90s, I knew a guy who worked as a bill collector, and his start time at work was 5am, because he would be calling people on the east coast.

Stock exchange-related jobs might be east-coast time zone-centric (?), but otherwise, most jobs here aren't dictated by business hours on the east coast.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Hm? I assume you're only talking about nationally televised sporting events?
Check the posts after...I was just making a 'cheeky' reply to the english spelling of program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Which professionals would those be? Like people who work at call centers? Back in the 90s, I knew a guy who worked as a bill collector, and his start time at work was 5am, because he would be calling people on the east coast.

Stock exchange-related jobs might be east-coast time zone-centric (?), but otherwise, most jobs here aren't dictated by business hours on the east coast.
My uncle works in finance in SF, and he gets to work before the opening bell on Wall Street, and leaves the office at around 3. I think this is pretty common for west coast finance workers. Other than that, I agree that most things are adjusted for Pacific time. I guess a lot of the sports media people that work from LA have to adjust to EST hours, too, but I can't think of many more industries like this.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:10 PM
homesick alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
What the f*&k do Detroit metro area grocery stores have to do with anything about anything?
If you haven't noticed, it's basically a forum requirement for every thread to degrade into either a pissing contest or some other shitshow.

But basically Detroit is literally the city that never sleeps thanks to Meijer.

Therefore, based on the content of this thread:

Jacksonville > LA > Detroit > SF

Old Posted Today, 12:05 AM
The Good Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Just poking fun at the spelling, that's all. Yes, watching the NFL on the West Coast is a totally different experience than elsewhere in the country. Breakfast football...weird, but it at least frees up the afternoon.
It's better in the West. You can watch every game before bed. Unlike the East Coast, where the Sunday night game is late. Or how about the World Series ending at 1:00am Eastern time? Brutal.

Old Posted Today, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Uh, that's, like...exactly what it is. It's the original super center. They pioneered the concept. They also sell booze until 2:00 AM, except on Sundays. It was my first job!
I worked at Meijer when I was in high school.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions