HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
The construction on Portugal Cove Road....ugh. They patched everything back up but they may as well not have touched anything, it's ridiculous. That'll be getting tore up again now in April late July and started from scratch....again. And it'll probably end up the same as it is now. Circle of life.
I drove that part of Portugal Cove Rd yesterday, it's terrible!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I drove that part of Portugal Cove Rd yesterday, it's terrible!
Beware if you have a weak stomach...feels like you are bobbing on the ocean while driving it. LOL

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delesseps View Post
The Telegram has a story about the proposed Oceanex facility off of the CBS Bypass.

The City of St. John's should not spend a single penny on new road construction until it's amalgamated with Paradise and Mount Pearl.
They should contribute money in exchange for the oceanex parking lot on Water Street.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
They should contribute money in exchange for the oceanex parking lot on Water Street.
Sounds like a fair trade...think of the potential for that space, I think a few good ideas have been floated here in the past.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 1:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Not worth it to whom? Are construction workers paid for days they don't work, wouldn't they be interested in making up lost wages on a Saturday? What's the cost to everyone for long construction delays, damage to cars, extra gas waiting in long lines of traffic?
Overtime is a useless device.
It's horribly inefficient, people get far less productive once they go over 40 hours, so that 1.5 wage, usually turns into double. Not to mention it incentivies your workers to slow down during the week, (in spite because they have to work weekends, and because by stalling for overtime they get more money)

Why should the roads be torn up for 4 months when it could have been done in 1 month and then moved onto another project, rather than all projects being done at the same time and none finished for 6 months?
Because that's the way that makes mathetical sense.

What happens if one month has really bad weather? Does that job get skipped or is time invented?

Isn't length to complete the job factored into deciding on tender award? Or is it that there's so few workers available that the construction companies call the shot? Is that why it takes 18 months to complete a simple overpass here?
Construction costs are not a new thing it's pretty basic restraits that necessates the usage of contruction companies.

1) unpredictable job requirements

2) high costs of machinery and expertise

3) and need to retain workers year round.

These mean the real costs your looking at are alot heavier than most people think.

IF you cut costs you will have a drawn out work peroid/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 5:41 PM

With yesterday's news that the provincial government has to tighten its belt next year, what is the possibility that we won't see any new spending on the Team Gushue Highway? Fixing deteriorating roads and bridges will probably come first before putting money into a road that was never there in the first place. 2018...2019..what's your guess for when we might be finished at least to Topsail Rd?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 10:07 PM

Gander Airport

From the Telegram:

Quote:
The consultations and reviews have been completed, and now it’s down to finding the dollars and cents to replace the terminal building at Gander International Airport.

“We’re not able to fund the a new terminal building from current and projected operating income solely on its own, so starting this week we will commence the process to engage federal and provincial partners to invest in the project,” Reg Wright, CEO and president of Gander International Airport Authority (GIAA), told The Beacon this week.
I'd happily donate to a fund to preserve and renovate parts of the historic terminal, but I hope the provincial and federal governments won't provide any funding to build a new one. In an article a little while ago, the airport authority admitted that renovations and partial demolition of the existing terminal wouldn't cost any more than a new building, but that a new terminal was deemed necessary to allow for modern "conveniences" like an automated bag drop. That isn't a compelling argument to abandon an architectural gem, and I fear that the provincial government will end up saddled with the historic terminal if a new one is built. The last thing the provincial government needs is another expensive demolition to put off.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
In other jurisdictions, they would open as a section was completed. For that matter, some paving could have been done already, but I suspect they hold off to discourage dragsters on completed sections. Apparently that was a problem on the ORR when it was being built.

It is a shame tho' that easy access cannot be had for Cowan Heights and South areas, because of bureaucratic bungling.
Well, it seems you could be right. According to the CBC traffic guy, the Trans Dept says they'll have TG open to Capt Whelan in 2015 and the rest 2017. There's too much work for all of it by 2017, but the prospect that they'll open pieces is exciting. They'd have a lot of work to do to get the highway open just to Capt Whelan in 2015, including a planned round-about at Blackmarsh / Empire / Redmonds's Road and a re-alignment of Capt Whelan/Blackmarsh so I'd doubt even 2015 is possible for that piece.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Well, it seems you could be right. According to the CBC traffic guy, the Trans Dept says they'll have TG open to Capt Whelan in 2015 and the rest 2017. There's too much work for all of it by 2017, but the prospect that they'll open pieces is exciting. They'd have a lot of work to do to get the highway open just to Capt Whelan in 2015, including a planned round-about at Blackmarsh / Empire / Redmonds's Road and a re-alignment of Capt Whelan/Blackmarsh so I'd doubt even 2015 is possible for that piece.
That's really good news, IF it happens.
Thank you

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 4:35 PM

Quote:
I would like to know what the plan for the Pennywell Road connector is. I doubt that is slated for 2015 opening judging by the amount of work done. I look forward to this being done as it will be a quick way to get to the center of town from the highway.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 7:06 PM

I didn’t catch the interview but it does sound encouraging and might even be possible providing the funds are made available in the budget. (May have already been allocated so it might not be an issue).

The three interchanges between Kenmount Rd and Captain Whalen Dr. are substantially complete so it should not be a stretch to complete the ramps and pave next construction season if they can get to work on it early. They should be issuing tenders NOW so that they can be awarded by March instead of July.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Just wondering where you saw found the info on a "roundabout" for Blackmarsh? I cannot find anything with a search.

TIA

Jav

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Just wondering where you saw found the info on a "roundabout" for Blackmarsh? I cannot find anything with a search.

TIA

Jav
In Nov 2013 the City issue a proposal call for re-alignment of Blackmarsh/Empire/Redmond's Rd. They never published any details for what was decided from the proposals.

At the Sept 29th Council meeting Sandy Hickman mentioned that a roundabout was going there approved by the province and 99% planning done so I assume that's what's been decided. I've written my councillor for details, but I doubt I'll get an answer since he and the Mayor never answer email.

In the meantime, when the new development started at the top of Capt Whelan/Blackmarsh the main road through the development from Blackmarsh to Capt Whelan intersecting at Hamlyn Rd was labelled as "Blackmarsh Rd" on plans I saw. Google Maps show this street as an extension of Hamlyn Rd. I just noticed today that new street signs have been installed at the intersection of Blackmarsh and this new road and it's marked "Blackmarsh Rd". Likewise there's a new road sign at the top of Capt Whelan that says 'Blackmarsh Rd".

So, it seems (from west to east) that Blackmarsh Rd now takes in the top part of Capt Whelan turns at Hamlyn and goes on to Blackmarsh. I don't know what the orphaned section of Blackmarsh Rd will be called, surely you can't have a road split off into two directions?

Here's a short clip from that meeting. Note the Mayor's attitude against TGH.
http://vid1327.photobucket.com/album...psjqjrxouu.mp4

Last edited by rthomasd; Dec 4, 2014 at 4:45 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
In Nov 2013 the City issue a proposal call for re-alignment of Blackmarsh/Empire/Redmond's Rd. They never published any details for what was decided from the proposals.

At the Sept 29th Council meeting Sandy Hickman mentioned that a roundabout was going there approved by the province and 99% planning done so I assume that's what's been decided. I've written my councillor for details, but I doubt I'll get an answer since he and the Mayor never answer email.

In the meantime, when the new development started at the top of Capt Whelan/Blackmarsh the main road through the development from Blackmarsh to Capt Whelan intersecting at Hamlyn Rd was labelled as "Blackmarsh Rd" on plans I saw. Google Maps show this street as an extension of Hamlyn Rd. I just noticed today that new street signs have been installed at the intersection of Blackmarsh and this new road and it's marked "Blackmarsh Rd". Likewise there's a new road sign at the top of Capt Whelan that says 'Blackmarsh Rd".

So, it seems (from west to east) that Blackmarsh Rd now takes in the top part of Capt Whelan turns at Hamlyn and goes on to Blackmarsh. I don't know what the orphaned section of Blackmarsh Rd will be called, surely you can't have a road split off into two directions?

Here's a short clip from that meeting. Note the Mayor's attitude against TGH.
http://vid1327.photobucket.com/album...psjqjrxouu.mp4
Very interesting.

Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 3:15 PM

Earlier in the meeting, the Mayor was on a rant about the lack of a new fiscal arrangement and reduction in the Municipal grant. He's also pissed off that the Battery Hotel is now a MUN building and he's losing the tax revenue from it.

It seems clear that the mayor is now opposed to paying for the maintenance of theTGH when he was whole-heartedly for it when he needed to get it constructed. I don't believe in his estimate of $1M yearly maintenance cost (mostly snow-clearing I believe) for this 7.1 Km road, that seem rather high considering the city spends about $11 M yearly on snowclearing and this one road couldn't consume 10% of the total cost.

They are now paving the Blackmarsh Rd bypass which should allow for a tender for the overpass there, although I don't believe a tender has been released yet - it was supposed to be called last spring.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 2:42 PM

I watched that clip from the council meeting and I must say that I am disgusted with the attitude of our Mayor in the way he dismissed Councilor Hickman’s efforts to get the TGH open to Cowan Heights.

It is fine for the Mayor to want a better arrangement however he is quick to forget that he was all there a few years ago to throw his hat in without first trying to get Mount Pearl on board. And the way he was sitting back in his “throne” and tapping his hands was certainly unbecoming of someone in his position.

WHEN this highway finally opens he had better not be there with is scissors to cut any ribbons and bask in the glory.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 3:43 PM

I believe the Mayor is one of the reasons for the delay in construction of the TGH. Veiled in the last statement from the Minister about the delay was a mention of municipalities' cooperation, which can only mean St. John's. The city has a lot of say about the ramps, etc and I believe they are playing hard-ball and dragging their feet until get the new fiscal arrangement with Gov't, as shown by the Mayor's attitude in the video.

Meanwhile the Blackmarsh Rd bypass is paved and they are almost finished with the guard-rails, so they can start removing Blackmarsh Rd anytime now, although I still haven't seen a tender for the over/underpass.

Yesterday I noticed that Google Maps were showing the TGH as if it were completed all the way into the Goulds with yellow lines, etc. Back to normal today though.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 9:27 PM

Here's a year-end update for the TGH construction for 2014.

Old Pennywell Road underpass - deck complete, siderails, end-points, etc not done.

Collector Road - deck complete, siderails, end points, etc not done.

Redmonds Road, underpass complete.

Blackmarsh Road bypass - paved, in use. Blackmarsh Road now being excavated.

In case you missed it, these new underpasses have a railed walkway under the bridge deck on both sides, allowing access to the bridge connections.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the update, rthomasd!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 1:05 PM

Thanks for sharing the pics. They are certainly moving in baby steps. Can't wait to see some asphalt and paint, hopefully in 2015!

I wasn't aware the Blackmarsh Road diversion was started, haven't been down that way in a while.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's