HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 3:56 PM

Here is an article of intrest about the shift in sports spending at delta and about some of the decisions in general. Makes sense. http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2009...to-yanks-mets/

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 6:41 PM

I still maintain that the shelved initial design and ensuing legal action from the architects was directly related to the fact that DL was on an incredibly slippery slope at the time and it was a big unknown as to what ATL's international fate would be with the bankruptcy filing. Would it have been wise to proceed full speed ahead with a more than $1B International Terminal when the tenant leasing more than 65% of your overall gates and providing more than 75% of your international traffic is in bankruptcy and isn't being crystal clear on its intent to grow internationally @ ATL post-restructuring? So interesting that now DL is the one supposedly hot under the collar crying foul since the terminal's costs have risen so dramatically over the last 3-years (DUH!). I actually wonder whether certain portions of the project couldn't be rebid, as they'll probably result in lots of competition and, therefore, more aggressive bidding. I suspect some of the major components have already been procured, such as the structural steel, which has become incredibly expensive since the first rendering was unveiled.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 6:55 PM

ATLonthebrain, you sure are making some very sensible posts. Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 7:29 PM

Yes AtlOntheBrain I so agree with Cybele. Very levelheaded and dead on. All this Harstfield doom saying is ridiculous and totally baseless. Delta will stay put and grow, the terminal will be built, the rental car facility will be opened shortly, the concourse remodel will be done shortly and more retail will be opened by summer as well as dining options. Definitely not the sign of a place in disarray or third world.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 12:08 AM
Reliable Source

Atlanta will certainly stay put as a hub, but Delta is one step away from relocation of their HQ to NY. It's not BS. The Bloomberg administration is trying to get them in the city rather than the burbs. My source is knowledgeable, in the know on real estate moves.

Last edited by Fiorenza; Apr 2, 2009 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 12:25 AM
Trendy.

Where are they going to lease space? The former Pan Am Building?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 12:33 AM

So they will leave the campus they own lock stock and barrel and the much lower employment costs for New York where there employment costs will quadruple? That doesn't make alot of sense. If it was a financial company I could grant you that. If anything Minneapolis would be about the only city that I could see them moving to. Not to mention they are moving tons of NWA corporate and back office positions and people to Atlanta.

Last edited by Atlwest281; Apr 2, 2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: something else

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 1:06 AM
Reliable Source

Oh, most of the back office remains in ATL. The execs, MARCOM and maybe legal are what's going. They want the move. My info is from a person whose accuracy I rely on. Three areas are considered possible, and one may be Jersey City - which has plenty of unemployed smart Asian office workers and a number of relatively new office buildings, but ZERO cachet. It does offer suburban living accessibility in further out places like Red Bank NJ, or city lifestyle for those who prefer that. I guess it's not too far from the three NYC airfields.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 1:07 AM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Atlanta will certainly stay put as a hub, but Delta is one step away from relocation of their HQ to NY. It's not BS. The Bloomberg administration is trying to get them in the city rather than the burbs. My source is knowledgeable, in the know on real estate moves.
Yeah I'm gonna go with no. It would make no sence to go through the level of renovation that they are just to move to NYC. I'm sorry but if someone is whispering about it then they are doing it so softly that I can't hear them.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 1:12 AM
Reliable Source

It's just my source, and who knows. But it's being worked and pitched.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 1:41 AM

Well i wouldn't put validity in it nor can you tie issue with Hartsfield with an HQ moving. If anything it would be the states fault if that happened not Hartsfield. And once again until Delta addresses it space issues at JFK and builds the new terminal there there wont be to much more build up there. Even then NYC airspace is becoming extremely limited and thus the ATL hub wont and cant be replicated there.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 1:53 AM
Reliable Source

"There is every indication, but no guarantee, that The World as We Knew It will continue with some modification as The World We Will Come to Know."

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 2:25 AM

yes very true however sometimes facts and feasibility set in and the aforementioned never comes to pass.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 2:27 AM
Reliable Source

My guess is, this was in the works pre-merger.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 2:44 AM

I can see Delta people who live way out in the northern suburbs hating the commute all the way down to the airport. And I have to admit it's not the coolest looking place in the world down there. But why not just move to Buckhead or the Perimeter Mall area? Seems like NYC would cost a fortune.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 2:53 AM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
I can see Delta people who live way out in the northern suburbs hating the commute all the way down to the airport. And I have to admit it's not the coolest looking place in the world down there. But why not just move to Buckhead or the Perimeter Mall area? Seems like NYC would cost a fortune.
Any move would cost a fortune. There is a lot more to our offices than just people and computers.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 3:38 AM
Reliable Source

Again, there would be no major relocation costs because the bulk of the salary schlubs stay in Hapeville.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 10:31 PM

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 10:54 PM

Simply stunning and breath taking!!! A 747-400 truely the queen of the skies regardless of the A380!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
oh that's beautiful. thank you for that

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta