HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

River Point in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 2:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

thanks for all of the info ardecila.

unfortunately it sounds like the railroad tracks are gonna keep this development from being good at ground level.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoryg View Post
It is truely stunning! but a spacefiller really. It wont make much impact on the skyline but it is slightly acceptable for that sensitive river intersection. I would love something the same but add 20 more stories.
It actually will have a huge skyline impact from the west, and the most exciting part is that it will finally fill in a large part of the river canyon gap. What I am referring to is the area around wolf point that is lacking in skyscrapers, once Wolf Point and this are built, it will finally start to look like one endless skyscraper canyon.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:44 PM

I am really disappointed about the ventilation portholes dumping diesel fumes along the river walk. I have been watching the progress of the UP-North construction and the diesel exhaust is so heavy that it just lingers in the air for so long. With the number of slow moving trains spewing exhaust in this locale, I am nervous that the fumes will just sit along the river walk making it an unpleasant experience. Hopefully the ventilation system will be strong enough to mitigate this design.

The park/plaza is paid for mostly through TIF so why do the current plans not have a north entrance and why are they so gung ho over not having this be a cut through for people (the awkward way in which people access the plaza). Wouldn't that drive traffic passed their retail tenants or is there something else.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 6:40 PM
TL;DR

There's only one retail space on the plaza level and I think Hines is envisioning a sundry shop or something for office workers, since it's right by the elevator bank and it only has internal access.

River Point's PD is already approved, so Alderman Reilly has lost most of his leverage over the developers. The only thing left is the TIF grant, which Reilly has some control over. That's why you should all email him about the northern stair and not Hines.

I think part of the reason Hines is reluctant to provide a second riverwalk access point is because of ADA... so far they have two outdoor elevators built into the design, each of which will be very expensive to install and maintain. A ramp would offer a cheaper way down to river level, but there may not be room.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 9:28 PM

That is a very good point. The Northern end is maybe 50 meters wide from Fulton to the river. Not much room for a ramp, especially considering the height required by Amtrak.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 9:52 PM

Quote:
I am really disappointed about the ventilation portholes dumping diesel fumes along the river walk.
They might have to change that or at least put filters on it now that the WHO came out with a report that diesel fumes can cause cancer.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 12:56 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
They might have to change that or at least put filters on it now that the WHO came out with a report that diesel fumes can cause cancer.
Yeah there is a growing body of evidence linking diesel exhaust and higher cancer rates, especially with the particles you can't see, with the black soot being handled by the body a little better, but I still wouldn't want any of it.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:08 AM

If anyone is up for a River Point or Wolf Point photoshop exercise, here's a photo I took tonight looking that way.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 12:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
If anyone is up for a River Point or Wolf Point photoshop exercise, here's a photo I took tonight looking that way.

Beautiful picture! Top of the church? 5th floor of the hotel?

I don't know how to manipulate Photo Shop. From that angle, the view of the green and blue lights will be completely obstructed by the proposed 2nd "office" tower at Wolf Point.

The Site Plan indicates the River Point tower will extend to Fulton Street Wacker Drive is actually on the same east-west line as Fulton Street - although across the confluence. The view of the smoke stack at the railroad powerhouse will be completely obstructed by the River Point tower. It's north of Lake Street; south of Fulton Street (or Wacker extended).

At the community meeting to introduce River Point, Van Schaack from Hines said the elevated plaza platform will continue on to within 20' of Riverbend's propety. Nobody fainted from shock! No wailing or gnashing of teeth! River Point is pretty, inevitable and fairly well-received - even though it will require a lot of night work to get it built.

Last edited by jarta; Jun 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Add Wacker e/w line comments

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarta View Post
At the community meeting to introduce River Point, Van Schaack from Hines said the elevated plaza platform will continue on to within 20' of Riverbend's propety. Nobody fainted from shock! No wailing or gnashing of teeth! River Point is pretty, inevitable and fairly well-received - even though it will require a lot of night work to get it built.
This has nothing to do with the relative merits of either proposal. One threatens their views and the other doesn't. Simple as that.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 5:05 PM
Windy City Dan

Did a quick shop job. Not sure if I got the heights right, some of the lighting and perspective is a little funky, but there is only so much you can do, ya know. BTW Hayward, awesome shot, it's my new desktop. Threw in 111 WW for good measure.

Last edited by intrepidDesign; Jun 14, 2012 at 7:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Did a quick shop job. Not sure if I got the heights right, some of the lighting and perspective is a little funky, but there is only so much you can do, ya know. BTW Hayward, awesome shot, it's my new desktop. Threw in 111 WW for good measure.

Okay, that would be fucking sick!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:40 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
It would be even better if they finished the riverwalk already.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Correction, that WILL be fucking sick!

Also, the height for River point looks a bit short. People are forgetting that is only 20 feet shorter then the Donnelly building

Another thing, the endless river canyon that we dreamed of is finally here! The skyscraper drop off at wolf point will finally be filled, and it will be one endless skyscraper canyon from the Sears to Aqua. A canyon with 2 400m+ buildings, atleast 10 650 ft + buildings, pretty incredible.

Last edited by BraveNewWorld; Jun 14, 2012 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 12:35 AM
BANNED

"and it will be one endless skyscraper canyon from the Sears to Aqua."

And we will have achieved Skyscraperpage Nirvana by creating not just a view corridor, but a dogleg view corridor! Bubbly Creek or Bust by 2101! lol!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 7:41 AM
TL;DR

I guess it'll have to wait for the next meeting, but I'm curious about what night-lighting Hines is planning. It would be cool to wash the sloped pieces in light, and/or the slits running up the sides.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarta View Post
"and it will be one endless skyscraper canyon from the Sears to Aqua."

And we will have achieved Skyscraperpage Nirvana by creating not just a view corridor, but a dogleg view corridor! Bubbly Creek or Bust by 2101! lol!
Come on, you know you have been dreaming of this day...

Anyways though, back on topic. @ Ardecila, at the next meeting you should ask about the night lighting. They have an opportunity to make this look amazing. Instead of just normal lighting, they should light it up around the top curve and on the sides.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I guess it'll have to wait for the next meeting, but I'm curious about what night-lighting Hines is planning. It would be cool to wash the sloped pieces in light, and/or the slits running up the sides.
I agree, this building MUST shine from afar. I want that LaSalle canyon effect with a bright building at the end of the tunnel. As someone pointed out, I love the notion of looking down the river and it seems as if the skyscrapers go on forever. It's almost kind of futuristic, like something you'd see in a sci-fi movie or video game.

At least for office floors, they could do perimeter security lighting that washes the glass. Very similar to what you see at Barney's NY in Gold Coast.....which I happen to have a photo of as well!

There's also LED light strips embedded into mullions. I've never seen this applied on a massive curtainwall system in a highrise...more just storefronts in small buildings

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 6:45 PM

I know that the Devon Tower is also designed by Pickard Chilton, and the curved area at the top of that building is lit up. I think this building should have a combination of white and blue lighting, maybe a very shimmering white look to it. Mainly along the curve and up, or a very bright gold type lighting to it.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 1:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
Correction, that WILL be fucking sick!
You sure? I'll hold my enthusiasm for now. I remember 2007.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive