HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:08 AM
E pluribus unum

For whatever it's worth, walking out of the main entrance of America West Arena* last night and seeing high rise condos and a grocery store instead of surface parking was amazing. I know I'm an idiot but Downtown Phoenix has come a long way since I moved to Arizona in 1996.

*Buildings' names change so much I just call them by whatever name they had when I moved here. In other news, I remember that arena being a hell of a lot more purple pre-renovation!?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 4:21 PM

https://www.wsj.com/economy/jobs/new...nomy_lead_pos2

Quote:
Opportunity in the U.S. has a new address.

Four years ago, the West led other regions in terms of jobs growth, and salaries in major cities commanded a hefty premium over their smaller counterparts.

That has changed. Cities across the Sunbelt are now adding jobs at a chart-topping rate, while the traditional superstar cities such as San Francisco have had many companies pick up and move, with workers and their employers seeking better living and affordability elsewhere. At the same time, the pay bump that once accompanied a big-city posting has in many cases come down to earth, while salaries in other regions have risen.

“The influence of geography is diminishing,” says Lauren Mason, a senior principal at consulting firm Mercer. Three years ago, for example, jobs in New York City commanded a 19% pay premium over the national median, an advantage that shrank to 14% last year, according to Mercer’s data. Similarly, while in 2021, workers in Lincoln, Neb., were paid salaries 6% lower than the U.S. norm, by last year, that gap had shrunk to just 3%.

Part of the phenomenon can be traced to the rise of remote work, with more highly paid workers picking up and moving their salaries elsewhere. At the same time, hiring has also risen more swiftly in many traditionally low-cost markets, driving up competition—and pay—for workers around the country, Mason and others say.

Priced out of the Bay Area
When mobile-gaming company Skillz SKLZ 2.79%increase; green up pointing triangle moved its headquarters from the Bay Area to Las Vegas, Nev., in January, it didn’t reduce salaries for staffers who moved to lower-cost Las Vegas. The company values its employees and had already saved money on the move, says CEO Andrew Paradise.

The company, which previously had a small customer-support presence in Las Vegas, liked the city’s affordability, both for the company and for its workers, Paradise says. Many of the workers had found themselves priced out of the Bay Area’s housing market, and had to find roommates to share costs, even while making six figures.

Quality of life was also a consideration: At one point, a worker in the company’s San Francisco headquarters was struck in the face while walking outside during lunch break; another was groped outside the office entrance. “How are you going to get [workers] to focus when they are literally getting assaulted?” says Paradise, who praises Las Vegas’s safety and proximity to hiking and entertainment options. The company now has 100 workers in Las Vegas, up from 20.

A recent CBRE study of 500 U.S. companies that relocated headquarters in the past six years found one-third of them involved leaving the San Francisco, Los Angeles or New York City area, mostly for lower taxes and out of the desire to seek a different business climate. Technology companies led the way, followed by manufacturing and financial services.

At the same time, data show opportunities shifting to the south. Before the pandemic, employment in the West was growing by 2.3% a year, the highest rate among the nation’s regions, according to an analysis by the Washington, D.C.-based Economic Innovation Group. Last spring, though, following a spate of tech layoffs, the West was at the bottom of the pack, growing by just 1.4% between May of 2022 and May of 2023. By contrast, the Sunbelt topped the list, growing by 2.4% over that period, adding more than four times the number of jobs added in the West.

‘Living in the future’
Recent college graduate Maximus Powers originally expected to move to San Francisco after graduating, but picked Phoenix in January after hearing a friend describe how full of energy the city felt. Since then, Powers, who’s developing his own AI software, says he has been struck by how easy it has been to network there and how many like-minded entrepreneurs and potential backers he has met.

“It feels like living in the future,” he says, noting that he has ridden self-driving taxis there and can see food-delivery robots going about their business in the area.

ince 2020, job postings for Phoenix have jumped by more than 60%; conversely, the Bay Area’s postings fell by 25% during that time, data from jobs site Indeed show. Tech layoffs and a pullback in white-collar hiring has dented employment in many traditional metro hubs, says Nick Bunker, Indeed’s economic-research director for North America, while employment in other regions—notably Sunbelt metro areas such as Huntsville, Ala., Albuquerque, N.M., and Jackson, Miss.—had increases in job postings.

Geopolitics are among the forces helping push more jobs south, says Mark Muro, a Brookings Institution senior fellow. Amid instability in Asia and Europe, more private capital that would have once gone to such regions is being directed into the U.S., often into Sunbelt areas, he says, while the Biden administration’s push to develop more domestic manufacturing, including semiconductor and battery production, has also added momentum in areas of the U.S. that have fewer building restrictions, more space and cheaper labor.

Where the Jobs Are
Top 5 and bottom 5 metro areas for jobs growth from 2018-23
CHANGE
REGION
TOP 5
Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington, Texas 436,290 Sunbelt
Houston/The Woodlands/Sugar Land, Texas 239,960 Sunbelt
Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale, Ariz. 237,428 Sunbelt
Austin/Round Rock, Texas 226,689 Sunbelt
Atlanta/Sandy Springs/Roswell, Ga. 213,112 Sunbelt
BOTTOM 5
Pittsburgh, Pa. -50,649 Legacy*
Baltimore/Columbia/Towson, Md. -29,320 N.E. corridor
Cleveland/Elyria, Ohio -21,955 Legacy
Chicago/Naperville/Elgin, Ill., Ind., Wis. area -20,041 Legacy
Milwaukee/Waukesha/West Allis, Wis. -19,894 Legacy
*Legacy metro areas include all Midwest, mid-South, Great Lakes and northern New England

Source: Economic Innovation Group, using Bureau of Labor Statistics data

For years, U.S. growth has been overly concentrated in just a few metro areas, Muro says, particularly when it comes to the high-tech sector. Between 2005 and 2017, he notes, 90% of all jobs added in innovation sectors were clustered in five cities: San Francisco, San Jose, Boston, Seattle and San Diego.

By contrast, tech workers can find opportunities in many more locations, and salaries for such workers across the Sunbelt are booming. The salary for the average data scientist and AI worker in North Carolina is $136,000, neck-and-neck with the $137,000 average salary in California, according to data from Burtch Works, a staffing company specializing in AI and analytics. Such salaries in North Carolina have grown by double digits in each of the past three years, Burtch Works data shows, while salaries in California have fallen for the past two.

Fair-weather employees

Before the pandemic, some in the Orlando business community felt anxious about the spread-out nature of the city’s development and the lack of dense office space downtown, says Tim Giuliani, president of the Orlando Economic Partnership. “We were concerned there should be more towers going up,” he says.

Now, though, the more-suburban nature of the city’s economic development seems better-suited to the current economic moment, he says. More companies are opening new locations in Orlando in areas ranging from aerospace to clean tech, with 35% of their inquiries coming from overseas and California, he says, an increase from years past.

The region has 500,000 college students in a 100-mile radius, says Giuliani, making it an attractive draw for employers looking to expand. The area, too, lacks some of the physical restrictions of blue-chip cities on the coasts.

“There’s no ocean or mountain range to stop the growth,” he says.

Te-Ping Chen is a Wall Street Journal staff reporter who writes about work and work culture. Email her at te-ping.chen@wsj.com.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 4:26 PM

Quick observation for what is worth: I took my son to the card show at the convention center downtown yesterday. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much buzz and how many people were all over from Roosevelt down to the arena (and there wasn't even a suns game or anything going on). We had a great lunch at Bad Jimmy's (delicious but pricey), and walked around before and after.

There were a couple lots that REALLY need to develop for the cherry on top. The most important one is the lot west of the arena (Barrister?). The area around cityscape seems very busy, a bookend tower enclosing that area would really be great, rather than the parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 10:37 PM

Gov. Hobbs vetoed the YIMBY 'AZ Starter Homes Act':

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ar...a-step-too-far

I haven't read the bill so can't speak to Hobbs' stated concerns.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 1:48 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Gov. Hobbs vetoed the YIMBY 'AZ Starter Homes Act':

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ar...a-step-too-far

I haven't read the bill so can't speak to Hobbs' stated concerns.
I'm normally for local control, but the cities and towns are dragging their feet on this. If they don't want the state to tell them what to do, they need to come up with their own plan and get it done. If legislators of both parties can find common ground on this issue (a rarity these days), we shouldn't lose that momentum.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:10 PM
E pluribus unum

One thing that wasn't clear in that bill was if the homeowners actually owned the land on which their house was built? We've got a couple of housing developments (modular and tiny houses) in Flagstaff that, while a step in the right direction, are subject to rezoning and redevelopment by the city and Coconino County if either decide they want the land for something else.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I'm normally for local control, but the cities and towns are dragging their feet on this. If they don't want the state to tell them what to do, they need to come up with their own plan and get it done. If legislators of both parties can find common ground on this issue (a rarity these days), we shouldn't lose that momentum.
Yeah, it does feel like there should be room for a holy alliance between left/right on this issue. To that end, an opinion piece go Goldwater/Pew, lauding bipartisan solutions in other states to housing affordability:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...tter_azcentral

Quote:
Want to buy a home in Arizona? Good luck with those rising prices and resulting sky-high monthly payments.

[...]

There is a solution with a history of success in other parts of the country: Make it easier to build more homes.

[...]

Unfortunately, Arizona has its own zoning restrictions — in particular, ordinances that make it hard to build all but single-family homes on large lots, the most expensive type of housing. These restrictions, along with population growth, have created scarcity in the housing market, which drives up prices for families and increases homelessness.

The good news? Other states facing similar problems have found solutions that could work for Arizona.

Like Arizona, Montana has experienced a population surge, drastic increases in housing costs and rising homelessness.

Montana lawmakers faced the problem head-on last year, passing a suite of reforms to allow more homes, including duplexes; apartments near businesses; and what are known as “accessory dwelling units,” which property owners can add in their backyard, garage or basement and then rent out.

An additional reform requires jurisdictions to use a simple, quick process to approve or deny building permits.

Washington state passed several of the same reforms.

In both states, the efforts were bipartisan because lawmakers recognized that communities needed state-level help to address housing costs and homelessness — serious challenges rooted in a shortage of homes.

And there’s strong evidence that these reforms work.

These measures make homes more affordable
Accessory dwelling units have been legal for many years in cities ranging from Gainesville, Fla., to Anchorage, Alaska; they typically rent for less than studio apartments and are often affordable to lower-income residents.

When Minneapolis simplified the permitting process for building apartments near commerce and reduced parking mandates, apartment construction surged: Rents in the city then rose just 1% from 2017 to 2022, compared with 14% in Minnesota overall and 29% nationwide.

Similar free-market reforms have sharply improved affordability in places as diverse as New Rochelle, N.Y.; Portland, Ore.; and Tysons, Va.

Houston has taken a slightly different approach, substantially reducing its legally mandated minimum lot size. This move allowed builders to construct homes on smaller lots so families weren’t required to pay for large yards they might not want or couldn’t afford.

The result: 80,000 new town houses, which could be purchased for nearly 40% less than detached homes on larger lots.

Furthermore, town houses in Houston are affordable to families earning just above the area’s median family income of about $79,000. (By comparison, Phoenix-area households earning the area median can’t afford the region’s median home price of $452,000.)

Houston and Minneapolis are affordable because they reduced regulatory barriers and allowed more homes to be built. In the most recent five-year period, Minneapolis added 11.9% to its housing stock and Houston added 8.9%.

Phoenix and Tucson, on the other hand, added just 6.3% and 4.5%, respectively, not nearly enough to keep up with growth.

As a result, costs in Arizona’s two largest cities soared. And homelessness rose 54% in the Phoenix area and 38% in the Tucson area in the past five years, while dropping 17% in the Houston area and 13% in the Minneapolis area.

Not all problems require complicated solutions. There’s a clear path to bringing homeownership within reach for Arizona families, improving rental affordability and cutting homelessness.

Builders are ready to build.

Let them.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 9:33 PM

/\ There is a tiny number of people that could afford to build an ADU on their single-family property, and would want to.

What is going on all over the place in town, though, are rezonings to allow higher density residential products (like attached for-rent single family homes, low-rise apartment buildings, even owner-occupied townhome-type houses). I think most cities around the Phoenix metro are pretty easily approving rezonings to let developers build this stuff. Although the entire rezoning process can be pretty arduous and should be streamlined.

There will always be the single-family home master planned communities way out in the fringes, but even these are starting to have smaller and smaller planned lot sizes and are incorporating pieces of the overall site for the medium and higher density unit stuff. I'd say 90% of the projects I've seen are new medium and higher density residential uses; or landowners and developers are trying to amend their PADs from the 2000s to significantly increase density. This type of stuff will add way more homes than a few ADUs. Although, again, the process can be much more arduous overall to get to that point and could be streamlined, more so than more than just easily allowing ADUs. Getting the infrastructure on a macro scale to support it all is another story.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 10:09 PM

There is a big housing affordability problem which is weird since its not like Arizona or Phoenix is known as being full of red tape.

I think there really is a crisis of the "missing middle" not due to regulations but there just isn't the money for smaller multi family projects.

You basically get single family homes or "luxury" apartments and nothing in between.

We need small, towns, duplexes, Quadplexes, and little 5-20 unit apartment buildings that used to be built in droves in the 1950's-1970's but have virtually vanished out of new construction.

Seems like such projects cant get the type of financing needed to move forward like a luxury community can.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 3:43 PM

A few recent photos, flying in and hiking out by Mesa.

Last edited by locolife; Apr 6, 2024 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 10:36 PM
E pluribus unum

^Nice. I got a decent one flying in to Phoenix in February that I can't for the life of me figure out how to post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
There is a big housing affordability problem which is weird since its not like Arizona or Phoenix is known as being full of red tape.
Its truly astounding. My gf and I live in Flagstaff (no slouch in the unaffordability department) and ran the numbers a while back: Even if we wanted to move to Phoenix, we couldn't afford it unless we lived somewhere way out on the edge of the suburbs.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
^Nice. I got a decent one flying in to Phoenix in February that I can't for the life of me figure out how to post here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/phoenix/com...skyline_shots/

Thanks, someone with a real camera took some shots recently and posted on Reddit. Skyline is coming along nicely.

Giving full credit, this is posted on Reddit by user Billinois

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 2:44 PM

Dupe

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 3:09 PM

TSMC awarded nearly $12 billion in CHIPS Act funding for Phoenix factories

Amazing...TSMC announced they will be investing an ADDITIONAL $25B!

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...t-funding.html

Quote:
The U.S. is awarding Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. nearly $12 billion in CHIPS Act subsidies to support the company’s two semiconductor factories, or fabs, under construction in north Phoenix, along with a third fab planned at the site that will produce the world’s most advanced chips.

The U.S. Department of Commerce said April 8 it entered a non-binding preliminary agreement with TSMC (NYSE: TSM) for a CHIPS Act award package that consists of $6.6 billion in grants and up to $5 billion in loans. TSMC also plans to claim the Department of the Treasury’s Investment Tax Credit of up to 25% of $65 billion in capital expenditures, bringing the total federal commitment to more than $27 billion, according to a White House announcement.

“The proposed funding from the CHIPS and Science Act would provide TSMC the opportunity to make this unprecedented investment and to offer our foundry service of the most advanced manufacturing technologies in the United States,” Mark Liu, chairman of TSMC, said in a statement. “Our U.S. operations allow us to better support our U.S. customers, which include several of the world’s leading technology companies. Our U.S. operations will also expand our capability to trailblaze future advancements in semiconductor technology.”

TSMC is increasing its investment in its Arizona fabs from $40 billion to $65 billion as it plans to build a third facility by the end of the decade that will produce 2 nanometer chips to power smartphones, data centers and artificial intelligence applications.

TSMC’s first Arizona fab will produce 4 nanometer FinFET process technologies, while its second fab will produce 2 and 3 nanometer process technologies for customers that include AMD, Apple, Nvidia and Qualcomm.

TSMC is expected to start high-volume production at its first fab — which currently is under construction in north Phoenix — in the first half of 2025, followed by operations to begin in its second fab in 2028.

The company's Arizona fabs are expected to employ more than 6,000 workers, up from the 4,500 it initially anticipated. Entering April, the company has hired 2,200 workers, a TSMC spokeswoman told the Business Journal.

“To date, TSMC’s investment has attracted 14 semiconductor suppliers to Arizona to expand their nearby operations,” Lael Brainard, national economic adviser for the White House and co-chair of the CHIPS Implementation Steering Council, said on a teleconference call with reporters on Sunday.

"Arizona is becoming a global center for semiconductor leadership, contributing to the great improvement in employment, strong job growth [and] record new business applications taking place in Arizona,” Brainard added. "TSMC’s more than $65 billion investment is the largest foreign direct investment in Arizona's history.”

To date, TSMC’s funding package is the second-largest announced among semiconductor companies.

Last month, the Department of Commerce awarded Intel $8.5 billion in grants, $11 billion in loans and a tax credit of up to 25% on its $100 billion in qualified investments, marking a total federal commitment of more than $40 billion.

TSMC to invest $50M in workforce training, development
TSMC’s federal award packages includes $50 million earmarked for workforce development.

In January, TSMC unveiled its plans to boost the semiconductor workforce by investing $5 million for a new semiconductor technician apprenticeship program in the Valley.

TSMC intends to train 80 facility technician apprentices over five years with support from the city of Phoenix and its new program, which will consist of on-the-job training and classroom instruction over 18 months.

In addition, the chipmaking giant has forged partnerships with Arizona State University, University of Arizona and Maricopa Community Colleges to recruit and train semiconductor technicians for its fabs.

“As a leader in semiconductor manufacturing, TSMC is creating opportunities for our students to learn new technologies and develop the skills necessary to shape the future of work,” Steven Gonzales, chancellor of the Maricopa County Community College District, said in a statement. “Today’s announcement solidifies Arizona’s role as a leader in chip manufacturing. I look forward to the collaboration ahead as we strengthen our existing semiconductor Quick Start programming and work with TSMC to develop an apprenticeship pathway to support the next wave of growth and TSMC’s expanding footprint.”

TSMC Arizona recently signed an agreement with the Arizona Building and Construction Trades Council and plans to utilize registered apprenticeship programs to meet a 15% apprenticeship utilization rate on the Phoenix construction site, according to the company.

In addition, TSMC is expanding childcare subsidies for its local workforce, including discounts, reimbursements and priority enrollment in local early education and childcare centers.

TSMC’s CHIPS Act award is subject to due diligence and negotiation of a long-form term sheet. In addition, the award is conditional upon achievement of certain milestones that will be refined in the future, according to a Department of Commerce official.

Sen. Mark Kelly: 'Exciting day for Arizona'
TSMC’s funding announcement marks “an exciting day” for Arizona as it brings the most advanced microchip manufacturing back to the U.S. while creating thousands of new jobs, said Arizona Sen. Mark Kelly, a chief negotiator of the CHIPS Act.

“It will also strengthen our national security by bringing critical technology supply chains back from overseas and reinforcing ties between the United States and Taiwan,” Kelly said in a statement. “This award is the product of the hard work we did to pass the CHIPS Act and the hard work that Mayor (Kate) Gallego and our state and local economic development leaders did to bring TSMC to Phoenix.”

Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego on April 8 lauded TSMC's continued Arizona investments.

“The ripple effects from both TSMC’s expansion and the federal government’s investment will go far beyond our city limits — they will shape the trajectory of our entire region, create thousands of high-wage jobs to support families, and fuel strong economic growth for generations to come," Gallego said in a statement.

Advanced semiconductor companies — including Intel and TSMC — have requested more than $70 billion in CHIPS Act subsidies, more than double the amount available for U.S.-based projects, Raimondo said Feb. 26.

The CHIPS Act includes $39 billion in grants, as well as loans and loan guarantees worth $75 billion to spur semiconductor manufacturing in the U.S., according to the Department of Commerce.

In addition to Intel, the Department of Commerce has announced three CHIPS Act investments for BAE Systems Inc., Arizona-based Microchip Technology and GlobalFoundries, which is set to receive nearly $1.5 billion in federal subsidies for a new fab and modernization of its existing facilities in New York and Vermont.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 3:55 PM

Big Manufacturing news today!

https://azbigmedia.com/business/lg-e...x-is-underway/

Quote:
LG Energy Solution $5.5B Queen Creek manufacturing complex is underway
The construction of a major battery manufacturing complex in Queen Creek, Arizona, announced by LG Energy Solution last year, is on track to be completed in two years with the first round of hiring expected to begin at the end of this year. The company provided progress updates on its $5.5 billion stand-alone facility during a stakeholder meeting today at Combs High School in San Tan Valley near the complex location.

MORE NEWS: Construction begins on Camelback 303 Logistics Center

The attendees included Governor Katie Hobbs; Richard Ra, President of LG Energy Solution Arizona; Brian Oh, Head of Mobility & IT Battery Division at LG Energy Solution; Hyung Kim, Head of ESS Battery Division at LG Energy Solution; Sandra Watson, President and CEO of the Arizona Commerce Authority; Queen Creek Mayor Julia Wheatley; Mike Goodman, Supervisor, District 2 and Chairman of the Pinal County Board of Supervisors, and project partners.

“This transformative investment will have a lasting impact not only in Arizona, but across the country and moves us one step closer toward our clean energy goals,” said Governor Katie Hobbs. “These are the jobs of the future – and the State of Arizona is committed to being an active partner in ensuring Arizonans have the skills to fill these jobs.”

During the event, Governor Hobbs announced the creation of a new battery-focused Future48 Workforce Accelerator to be located in Apache Junction in partnership with Pinal County, Central Arizona College, LG Energy Solution, the Arizona Commerce Authority and McCarthy Construction.

The complex consists of two manufacturing facilities which are the company’s first stand-alone cylindrical and ESS battery plants in North America. The cylindrical battery plant, called LG Energy Solution Arizona, will produce 46-Series batteries for electric vehicles (EV). A crucial part of the company’s innovative product portfolio, 46-Series cylindrical batteries demonstrate LG Energy Solution’s advanced technological leadership throughout various applications for EVs. As the company plans the first mass production of 46-Series batteries at its Ochang plant in Korea in the second half of this year, which is the earliest among major global battery manufacturers, LG Energy Solution Arizona is expected to continue the momentum and reinforce the manufacturing capability.

The ESS battery manufacturing facility, called LG Energy Solution Arizona ESS, will produce lithium iron phosphate (LFP) pouch-type batteries for energy storage systems (ESS). It is one of the first ESS-exclusive battery production facilities in the world. By situating its stand-alone ESS battery facility in North America, the world’s biggest ESS market, LG Energy Solution aims for a timely response to the fast-growing needs for locally manufactured batteries on the back of the U.S. clean energy policies, providing ESS batteries with enhanced competitiveness in cost, battery life, and safety.

When fully operational, the complex’s average annual production capacity is expected to reach 53GWh (cylindrical batteries 36GWh, LFP ESS batteries 17GWh).

During the construction progress updates and site tour, Richard Ra, President of LG Energy Solution Arizona, said the project has been well underway since the groundbreaking last November, with initial land preparations completed and steel beams now being placed at the site. With the construction going as planned, the manufacturing facility for cylindrical EV batteries is expected to be completed in late 2025, and the facility for LFP pouch-type ESS batteries in the following year.

Once the construction is complete, both facilities are expected to start production in 2026. To secure a high-quality workforce that will operate the state-of-the-art manufacturing complex, the company will also commit to hiring and fostering the next-generation battery professionals in the area, creating several thousand new quality jobs. “We expect the recruitment of our (launch team) members to begin late this year, and a full-scale recruitment to follow from the second half of 2025,” said Ra.

“By further expanding our product portfolio and offering diverse options to our customers, we will continue to strengthen our market competitiveness”, said David Kim, CEO of LG Energy Solution. “We also expect to keep growing in the global market by maximizing customer value through unmatched technology leadership.”

“Of many other sites, this Arizona facility has a special meaning to us. This is the second stand-alone facility to be built in the U.S. and it is also the first manufacturing facility to produce cylindrical batteries in the U.S. Right here, is where we can build quality cylindrical batteries, which will be used to power millions of EVs,” said Brian Oh, Head of Mobility & IT Battery Division at LG Energy Solution. “It gives me great pleasure, knowing that this landmark project, here in Queen Creek will create thousands of new, quality-jobs that will contribute to building a green economy.”

“ESS plays a vital role in green energy infrastructure as it utilizes power supply in a flexible manner,” said Hyung Kim, Head of ESS Battery Division. “There is no better place to build the source of our sustainable energy here in Arizona, where the abundant solar energy surrounds the region. Quality batteries made right here in the Copper State will reach every corner of America to provide power.”

“LG Energy Solution’s new facility, which represents one of the most significant green energy projects anywhere in the country, will anchor Arizona’s growing battery manufacturing industry while creating thousands of new jobs,” said Sandra Watson, President and CEO of the Arizona Commerce Authority. “We are grateful to LGES Arizona President Richard Ra and the entire team at LG Energy Solution for their continued commitment to Arizona and look forward to continue supporting this exciting project, including through the establishment of a new Future48 Workforce Accelerator.”

“It is so exciting to see this monumental project continue to move forward,” said Queen Creek Mayor Julia Wheatley. “The substantial investment will create a positive ripple effect for the region and the state, bringing local jobs, infrastructure, and capital investment. LGES is paving the way for our advanced manufacturing corridor – we are so excited to welcome them to the community. We value their partnership and appreciate the coordination from the county and state.”

“As a county, we see around 80% of our residents drive into other counties every day for work,” said Mike Goodman, Supervisor-District 2 and Chairman of the Pinal County Board of Supervisors. “So it has always been a priority for myself and my fellow Supervisors to address this by bringing high-quality jobs to Pinal County, and we’re delighted LGES’ investment is a significant step towards this goal.”

LG Energy Solution has another stand-alone facility in Michigan, which was built a decade ago and is currently undergoing expansion that would quintuple its average annual production capacity. The company also has five other joint venture facilities in the U.S. with major automakers, including General Motors, Honda, and Hyundai Motors Group, representing its full-fledged efforts to provide IRA-compliant batteries that will expedite the clean energy transition in the country.

With the Arizona complex, the company has now secured the most diverse and competitive product portfolio, which encompasses pouch-type and cylindrical batteries for EVs and LFP batteries for ESS, in North America.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 9:03 PM

Metro Phoenix Google Earth Update

Looks like the rest of the Phoenix area has updated on Google Earth. Downtown Phoenix is starting to look dense now.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpud0 View Post
Looks like the rest of the Phoenix area has updated on Google Earth. Downtown Phoenix is starting to look dense now.
Any way to pair some screen shots?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Any way to pair some screen shots?
Here you go

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:22 AM

Really cool tranche of 2000 early Phoenix/Arizona photos recently posted to the Arizona Memory Project:

https://petapixel.com/2024/04/18/tho...cly-available/

https://azmemory.azlibrary.gov/nodes/view/311837

Downtown

Capitol

Adams Hotel

Glendale Sugar Factory

Kenilworth School

Tempe

ASU Old Main, former Normal School

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:36 AM
Skyriser

So cool. I always had the sense there isn't much to see that hasn't been posted before, but new additions to the Memory Project definitely aren't that. Keep any you see coming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest