HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I drove by last night and a pile of rubble seems to have been built on the east side of the BMO building. I suspect this will be coming down this weekend.
I think that's just the remains of the other buildings.

But it does look pretty grim. All the window panes are knocked out.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I think that's just the remains of the other buildings.

But it does look pretty grim. All the window panes are knocked out.
I agree, it's the remnants of the previous buildings, but generally the debris is piled to create a platform for the excavator to work on.

I got this photo yesterday. The insides are pretty well gutted (looked like a stampede ran though, it didn't look consistent). You can also see a mini-excavator on the roof.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I agree, it's the remnants of the previous buildings, but generally the debris is piled to create a platform for the excavator to work on.

I got this photo yesterday. The insides are pretty well gutted (looked like a stampede ran though, it didn't look consistent). You can also see a mini-excavator on the roof.

That building should at least be saved as a facade.

No one makes buildings like that anymore. Too expensive. It really is a terrible shame to lose it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
That building should at least be saved as a facade.

No one makes buildings like that anymore. Too expensive. It really is a terrible shame to lose it.
1000%

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 11:06 PM

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Seems like a bad sign...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 2:46 AM

Christ, what a total failure. Lots of blame to go around on this one.

Hopefully the new buildings works well, but I'll be amazed if it can compensate for the loss.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Christ, what a total failure. Lots of blame to go around on this one.

Hopefully the new buildings works well, but I'll be amazed if it can compensate for the loss.
Need more photos before we can draw a conclusion.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 10:33 AM

I went by last night and the pile of interior debris is larger to the back. I didn't approach form Spring Garden, so I didn't see the angle shown above. But from Doyle/Brunswick the structure looked to be intact.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 7:51 PM

From what i understand they are only taking off the mechanical room on the roof and a few other peripheral structures. If this building comes down it won't be with the mini Cat on the roof, they will level it in a hearbeat with the larger excavators on-site.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 8:43 PM

Not that I'm empathetic to Westwood in this at all, but if they were to wage some PR campaign in the press (i.e., "the mean ol' city won't let us save the view/old building 'cause of viewplanes") I bet they could leverage public pressure to build higher, which could outweigh the status quo forces of the viewplane brigade. It would be manipulative and cynical, but I'm so irritated about the demolition I'd accept it as the lesser evil.

That presumes it's actually something they care about, which may not be the case, but the building is still there.

Hint hint, Danny.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Not that I'm empathetic to Westwood in this at all, but if they were to wage some PR campaign in the press (i.e., "the mean ol' city won't let us save the view/old building 'cause of viewplanes") I bet they could leverage public pressure to build higher, which could outweigh the status quo forces of the viewplane brigade. It would be manipulative and cynical, but I'm so irritated about the demolition I'd accept it as the lesser evil.

That presumes it's actually something they care about, which may not be the case, but the building is still there.

Hint hint, Danny.
I think they would need the support of the councillor for that -- Waye. And I'm guessing they may have talked to him, and I get the sense he has no interest in supporting such a move.

I understand his perspective -- if you make an exception here, it becomes a political problem for Waye as he then has to take sides on every new development. If HRMxD is set, and not really negotiable, then it's easier to just say "can't do anything". Also, too many exceptions does lead to less development certainty, which was a big problem.

That all said, I would support said effort too. I really like this building and wish it could somehow be saved. To me, it's such a solid and venerable building, it would outlast whatever flimsy 21st century building material they replace it with.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 2:24 AM

Quote:
I think they would need the support of the councillor for that -- Waye. And I'm guessing they may have talked to him, and I get the sense he has no interest in supporting such a move.

I understand his perspective -- if you make an exception here, it becomes a political problem for Waye as he then has to take sides on every new development. If HRMxD is set, and not really negotiable, then it's easier to just say "can't do anything". Also, too many exceptions does lead to less development certainty, which was a big problem.

That all said, I would support said effort too. I really like this building and wish it could somehow be saved. To me, it's such a solid and venerable building, it would outlast whatever flimsy 21st century building material they replace it with.
Yeah, I mean making a fuss without Waye's support. It would be a chance to grandstand on viewplanes, if they were so inclined.

I understand Waye's position, and I think it's entirely defensible, but I nonetheless have a difference of opinion on the matter.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 1:48 PM

Graham Steele just posted something on his Facebook page - not on this specific issue but on the whole "I am on your side but can't do anything to help" attitude of some politicians, presumably as Mason is saying in this case. Essentially he is stripping bare that statement and saying that no, Mr. Politician, you are not on their side when you say such things.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00004884978345

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 2:48 PM

I'm having this exact discussion with planner Jacob Ritchie on Twitter this morning regarding the Colonial Honda situation. It's insanely frustrating because we completely agree with each other that it's a terrible thing, but I'm getting the same "the zoning was brought down on a tablet from the mountaintop" response. Do Halifax planners and politicians know that their counterparts in other cities are sometimes willing to bend/change the rules in exceptional circumstances?

Last edited by Drybrain; Apr 23, 2016 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 3:17 PM

I think this location would be prime for a second Apple Store.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I'm having this exact discussion with planner Jacob Ritchie on Twitter this morning regarding the Colonial Honda situation. It's insanely frustrating because we completely agree with each other that it's a terrible thing, but I'm getting the same "the zoning was brought down on a tablet from the mountaintop" response. Do Halifax planners and politicians know that their counterparts in other cities are sometimes willing to bend/change the rules in exceptional circumstances?
As I've always said, HRM planning hate change. Not just because bureaucrats hate change... but taking steps here would also mean more work. Easier to let it happen. "Nothing we can do!"

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Graham Steele just posted something on his Facebook page - not on this specific issue but on the whole "I am on your side but can't do anything to help" attitude of some politicians, presumably as Mason is saying in this case. Essentially he is stripping bare that statement and saying that no, Mr. Politician, you are not on their side when you say such things.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00004884978345
I've seen this technique used.

The other disgraceful technique that McNeil has been using about #NSFilmjobs is whenever he's questioned about it, he always plays these divisive politics -- he always plays the NS film tax credit against some other "tough" policy choice he's had to make.

Last year, when challenged on his stupidity on #NSFilmjobs, he would immediately said something like this: "I'm not worried about some film tax credit. What is more difficult for me, is the public servants I just laid off. That is what keeps me awake at night".

More recently, he's gotten even more disgraceful, now pitting #NSfilmjobs against autistic children. I kid you not! LaRouche from CBC was questioning McNeil's BS on the film tax credit, and McNeil's craven response was "Look, governing is about hard choices. And let me tell you, I had to cut funding for autistic children. That is hard. Not film tax credits".

https://twitter.com/HogansBeard/stat...94338187587585

Also:

Quote:
Psychologist Dorothy Chitty was responding to Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil, who told CBC News on Wednesday that his government had eliminated the wait list for children with autism in this province.

McNeil made the comment to CBC News reporter Jean LaRoche, saying the reduction of the film tax credit helps fund other programs.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...eibi-1.3536472

What a disgraceful politician this guy is.

Shockingly, McNeil never seems to pit such "tough" policy decisions against the literally hundreds of millions that his moronic NS Government has thrown at pointless and dying rural ferries or polluting and trade-agreement-violating Pulp Mills.

And now, surprise-surprise (!), the VG is going to be blown up and its services moved out of Halifax. Just like the NDP, Liberals are betting on an anti-Halifax election platform.

Once again, despite Halifax being the only real economic engine for the province and our best bet to save this sorry ass province from demographic hell, we have yet another disgraceful and incompetent NS Provincial Government that hates Halifax and constantly employs policies to pander to rural voters.

And we wonder why Halifax items like Imagine Bloomfield or the Birk site sit wallowing, unchanged for years. The Liberals just don't give a crap about Halifax voters.

Like the NDP, I hope McNeil loses *every* single Halifax MLA next election.

Problem, is the other NS parties are all just as rural pandering and moronic.

Last edited by counterfactual; Apr 23, 2016 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 10:44 PM

McNeil will be re-elected with a majority
Balanced budget, the VG, NDP in disarray, Tories a little better than the NDP, and no real scandals other than ignoring the poor and the marginalised.
The film people were mostly Dippers.
As for the Doyle block, I remain confident that the facade will be saved; the pressure is on HRM and I believe they will find the means to come to an arrangement with Westwood.

Last edited by Colin May; Apr 24, 2016 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
And now, surprise-surprise (!), the VG is going to be blown up and its services moved out of Halifax. Just like the NDP, Liberals are betting on an anti-Halifax election platform.

Once again, despite Halifax being the only real economic engine for the province and our best bet to save this sorry ass province from demographic hell, we have yet another disgraceful and incompetent NS Provincial Government that hates Halifax and constantly employs policies to pander to rural voters.

And we wonder why Halifax items like Imagine Bloomfield or the Birk site sit wallowing, unchanged for years. The Liberals just don't give a crap about Halifax voters.

Like the NDP, I hope McNeil loses *every* single Halifax MLA next election.

Problem, is the other NS parties are all just as rural pandering and moronic.

Your last sentence sums it up.

if there was any party that should have been pro-Halifax, it was the NDP. And they committed the biggest anti-Halifax sin imaginable, arbitrarily moving govt offices out of Halifax to parts unknown and decimating those depts ability to actually perform in the process as most staff refused to move. Places like Tourism, and Agriculture and Fisheries, were absolutely decimated.

So if the NDP won't be pro-Halifax, and the Libs won't be pro-Halifax, would the PCs be any better? With L'il Jamie Baillie at the helm, no chance.

It absolutely amazes me that none of them get the basic principle that when you have a strength, you should play to that.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 1:41 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I always found NS politics strange. Sure, there is the urban vs. rural angle, but about half of the rural and small town population is so close to the city that they benefit more from centralization than they do from decentralization along the lines of what the NDP promoted. The Windsors and the Truros would be much better off being an hour away from a growing city with top-notch services (and lots of visitors and on and on) than they would be jockeying with Digby or Glace Bay for a rump tourism office or something similar.

The Province House and Dennis Building situation is related to this too. The provincial government probably just sees that as gold plating for the city when in reality it could be part of a plan to increase the city's popularity with visitors. Giving people a reason to come makes more sense than just subsidizing their way to NS, and of course many of those visitors who do wind up in Halifax are going to travel all around the province. But few of them would come in the first place without at least one major city with good transportation connections and attractions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth