HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 8:37 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
I wonder if they have now decided to move the store to the Six Flags redevelopment. There was an article about an sports/outdoor retailer being interested. Maybe we will find out tonight as there is a meeting planned about the Six Flags development.
There are really only two sports anchors possible. Bass Pro and Cabelas. Im betting its Bass Pro and to be honest I think the site makes more sense for them.

Permit Pulled for St Roch Market Revitalization:
Record 12COM-00304 :
Commercial Renovation (Non-Structural)
Work Location 2381 ST CLAUDE AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70117
Contractor:
LEE H LEDBETTER
LEE LEDBETTER ARCHITECTS
1055 ST CHARLES AV
Project Description:
Repairs and renovations to St Roch Market as per plans.
Owner:
CITY OF N O
1300 PERDIDO ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70112
Job Value($):
$2,700,000.00Number of Buildings:
1Public Owned:
Yes

Renovations/Repairs Lyons Center:
Record 12COM-00302 :
Commercial Renovation (Non-Structural)
Work Location 624 LOUISIANA AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70115
Project Description:
Renovations and repairs to Lyons Center as per plans.
Owner:
CITY OF NEW ORLEANS
1300 PERDIDO ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70112
More Details
Additional Information
Job Value($):
$3,606,000.00Housing Units:
1Number of Buildings:

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:01 AM

Is 425 Notre Dame Street new construction?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:05 AM
TL;DR

Lee Ledbetter's doing St Roch Market? That's awesome, he's pretty talented. I'm sure he'll do a great job.

The Notre Dame building is pretty yucky architecturally, but it is more density. I wonder how realistic it is to lease so much commercial space in an entirely mid-block location with no corner frontage?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:04 AM

Deanie's on Annunciation close to the Cotton Mill closed on Wednesday. Not sure what is taking its place, but a lot of work has already been going on. I am guessing another restaurant is taking its place.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:27 AM

Google Maps Updated

For the first time in 2 years, Google has updated their satellite maps of New Orleans!! You can see tons of new progress in it. From the construction site of the new hospital, and the cars parked on top of the new Rouses in the CBD, it looks like the image is only a few weeks old.

Look how shiny and new Earhart is where it meets Carrollton. Same with parts of Tulane Avenue. The tree growth in the city is noticeably increased since the last satellite picture. City Park, the Fairgrounds, and the lakefront look great too!

Edit: Notice the Occupy Protestors in Duncan Plaza, so it must be early December - because it's after Rouses opened, but before the protestors got kicked out.

Last edited by Blitzen; Mar 6, 2012 at 4:45 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 5:01 AM
TL;DR

You can also see some progress at the Crescent Park site. At the Mandeville Wharf, you can see the outline of the ellipse that will become a grassy mound, and the cut they made in the roof to accommodate the skybridge that will come down over the Public Belt and into the wharf.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:30 PM

Six Flags Site Redevelopment

New Orleans residents pepper Six Flags outlet mall developer with questions

New Orleans residents packed a meeting room at Household of Faith Church on Monday night hoping to learn more about a proposal to turn the abandoned Six Flags amusement park in eastern New Orleans into an upscale outlet mall. In a meeting that lasted more than two hours, residents raised questions about the project's financing and the developer's commitment to local and minority business participation...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._pepper_s.html

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:35 PM
-

I dont have a clue what to think of Six Flags.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I dont have a clue what to think of Six Flags.
You and me both. It's decisions like this where I fall back on basic free-market economic rules.

1. If a private firm is willing to spend their own capital to build something, and this something doesn't harm others, let them.
2. If the city/state is being asked to lower sales tax/set up a TIF, even if it gives this project and unfair competetive advantage, let them. It stinks for the competition, but it is still better for the consumer.
3. If the city/state is being asked to directly subsidize it, stop it.

So even though I personally think the "upscale" outlet mall will become a "less-than-upscale" outlet mall rather quickly, there is a market for that. Cheaper goods and more jobs raise the poor to middle class and redistribute wealth faster and more efficiently than any government program ever has. In the end it will be more money in the hands of average New Orleanians, who can then spend their limited money on more productive and grander things.

So I'm pinching my nose and going along with this project.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Lee Ledbetter's doing St Roch Market? That's awesome, he's pretty talented. I'm sure he'll do a great job.

The Notre Dame building is pretty yucky architecturally, but it is more density. I wonder how realistic it is to lease so much commercial space in an entirely mid-block location with no corner frontage?
Yeah, the architecture is not exactly my thing, but it definitely looks like there's been an attempt to be more fitting to the character of the warehouse district than some of the worst offenders down there (the Embassy Suites and the Springhill). I'm not exactly a luxury condo buyer, so I'll defer to this developer if he thinks that's what luxury condo buyers want. I'm just really satisfied that (1) there's new development and added density; (2) there's going to be ground floor commercial in a time when developers are opting against mixed-use development because it's harder to get financing, commercial is hard in a economic downturn to lease, and empty commercial spaces turns off residential leasers/buyers (the developer's going to have to cut that space us up at least twice if not three times, right? Who needs that much space in that neighborhood? Maybe he'll let it go cheap to art galleries to add to the neighborhood and avoid empty spots) and (3) he looks to be preserving the original facades (hopefully not just on the Girod side but also on the Notre Dame side as well).

I'll look past that the second and third floors on the Notre Dame side are going to be parking garage, because it's a lot easier for me to talk about how important preserving the character of the neighborhood is when I have no money in the game.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:02 PM

Ste. Helene

This is absurd. Meg (w/ VCPORA) needs to come back to reality on this one. This won't result in a proliferation of hotels that converts the quarter from residential to a vacant tourist trap...this is just freaking reopening a SMALL hotel that has been a hotel for decades and some unfortunate bureaucratic mix up is giving the owners hell.

Quote:
French Quarter hotel will stay open amid dispute over its right to exist

A hotel in the heart of the French Quarter that City Hall officials say opened recently in violation of a 40-year-old moratorium will continue to operate while attorneys for the business and the Landrieu administration try to settle the dispute. On Feb. 14, the city's Department of Safety and Permits notified the owner of the Hotel Ste. Helene, 508 Chartres St., by memo that because the property apparently had been dormant since 2006, it had lost its legal nonconforming status and thus its right to operate.

A moratorium on new or expanded hotels in the French Quarter has been in effect since 1969....
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...will_oper.html

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
This is absurd. Meg (w/ VCPORA) needs to come back to reality on this one. This won't result in a proliferation of hotels that converts the quarter from residential to a vacant tourist trap...this is just freaking reopening a SMALL hotel that has been a hotel for decades and some unfortunate bureaucratic mix up is giving the owners hell.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...will_oper.html
OMG the MEGSTER strikes again lol.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
) there's going to be ground floor commercial in a time when developers are opting against mixed-use development because it's harder to get financing, commercial is hard in a economic downturn to lease, and empty commercial spaces turns off residential leasers/buyers (the developer's going to have to cut that space us up at least twice if not three times, right? Who needs that much space in that neighborhood? Maybe he'll let it go cheap to art galleries to add to the neighborhood and avoid empty spots) and .
From what I know the developer is related to Emeril Legasse by marriage and there are plans for a possible new Emerils restaurant venture at the bottom.

Also the rebuilding of Tchoupitoulas Street from Calliope to Canal looks to have kicked into high gear.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:46 PM
TL;DR

They're repaving Tchoup?? Praise the lord! That'll definitely make things slightly easier for cyclists after Magazine becomes two-way.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:47 PM

Megster

Quote:
OMG the MEGSTER strikes again lol.
Yep...yep...she did. I'll exchange other info with you in person or via facebook..

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Edit: Notice the Occupy Protestors in Duncan Plaza, so it must be early December - because it's after Rouses opened, but before the protestors got kicked out.
December sounds about right. The shots don't show the structure for the latest expansion to the WWII Museum yet.

Does anyone have any info on the extension of Howard Ave to the sports district? Any chances the potential removal of the USPS Processing Center can modify the plans?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 9:42 PM
-

Some new permits today:

Work Location 2018 ORETHA CASTLE HALEY BLVD
NEW ORLEANS LA 70113
Project Description:
TENANT BUILD-OUT OF EXISTING VACANT COMMERCIAL SPACE INTO AN OFFICE AS PER PLANS.

Work Location 1224 ST CHARLES AVE
FLOOR 1
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130
Project Description:
GENERAL COSMETIC REPAIRS/RENOVATIONS TO VACANT COMMERCIAL SPACE ON FIRST FLOOR ONLY - FLOOR FINISHES, INTERIOR WALLS, GYPSUM BOARD, INTERIOR DOORS, CEILING, LIGHTING AND PAINTING. NO USE AND OCCUPANCY UNDER THIS PERMIT. PLANS TO FOLLOW FOR CHANGE OF USE. (2ND & 3RD FLOORS ARE BEING USED AS RESIDENTIAL UNITS.)

Work Location 1324 TULANE AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70112
Project Description:
PARTIAL RENOVATION AND REGLAZING OF FLOORS 2-6 PER PLANS BBSA DKT 10-17.
Job Value($):
$8,135,744.00

Work Location 301 BARONNE ST
This is for Ruby Reds
NEW ORLEANS L
Project Description:
INSTALL COMPANY LOGO AND APPLY VINYL GRAPHICS TO GLASS WINDOWS ON EACH CORNER SIDE OF RESTAURANT AS PER SKETCH.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 9:49 PM
TL;DR

St. Roch Market Plans

http://www.purchasing.cityofno.com/b...Url=activeBids

Looks like Lee Ledbetter did indeed do a good job. I'll reserve full judgment until they build it, but it looks like they're planning to use top-quality finishes and all modifications are pretty sympathetic to the original.

The site plan shows a big future streetscaping for St. Claude that includes substantial curb bumpouts. It also shows that they built the rear patio of the market to accommodate a stage, so that the St. Roch neutral ground can be used for a festival.

Work is expected to last for 6 months.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 9:55 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Work Location 1324 TULANE AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70112
Project Description:
PARTIAL RENOVATION AND REGLAZING OF FLOORS 2-6 PER PLANS BBSA DKT 10-17.
Job Value($):
$8,135,744.00
This is for the J Bennett Johnston Building (probably the nicest building on the Tulane downtown campus).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 10:47 PM
-

Noticed they are almost ready to build the new coroner complex too. Will be a nice new state of the art facilty.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations