HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:56 PM

[Saint John] Moosehead Micro Brewery | ?m | TBD Floors | Proposed

This an article about a small micro brewery that Moosehead is looking to set up.

https://sjcommercialre.com/2016/06/0...street-91king/

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 10:54 PM

Moosehead has little choice but to do this. The craft beer industry is hurting them and they have limited success with their craft style offerings. At one point in this province Moosehead had 70% of the beer market. Now it is less than 20%.
It appears as though the Olands have put off selling for a few years....

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 7:08 PM

Yes, either location would be great! I am looking forward to a new version of the "Country Store" opening up. My cupboard has a few different Moosehead/Apline beer mugs, the closet has a tee shirt or two, mostly painting attire now, a sweatshirt that is my campfire classic and I know there are a couple old decks of cards in the trailer…..definitely time for some new Moosehead stuff.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 9:42 PM
ハルウララ

I was under the impression Moosehead were looking to renovate an existing space rather than building an entirely new structure.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 1:32 PM

Talking to people at a few things recently, there are those working to try and convince Moosehead to be a part of the recently announced Murphy's restaurant development on Water St. next to the Coast Guard slipp. Not sure how likely that is, but I do really like the idea of a harbourside location.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Talking to people at a few things recently, there are those working to try and convince Moosehead to be a part of the recently announced Murphy's restaurant development on Water St. next to the Coast Guard slipp. Not sure how likely that is, but I do really like the idea of a harbourside location.
I was recently reading something about how they wanted to be as close to the Cruise Ship terminals as possible. So what you said definitely does has merit.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 11:35 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
I was recently reading something about how they wanted to be as close to the Cruise Ship terminals as possible. So what you said definitely does has merit.
Maybe a part of Fundy Quay if that finally gets going soon. Would be a new build tho.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
MP wayne Long just announced via FB that the Micro Brewery will be built on the waterfront with a picture of that spot, no confirmation from Moosehead yet.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
MP wayne Long just announced via FB that the Micro Brewery will be built on the waterfront with a picture of that spot, no confirmation from Moosehead yet.
The mayor also announced the same thing and posted a photo with Andrew and Patrick Oland standing on the site. It will be built at the foot of princess street south towards the cruise terminal.

Last edited by UptownJeff; Sep 17, 2016 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 8:04 PM

Is this development still going ahead? If so, the combination of both is really going to help transform Water Street!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...john-1.3659375

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 9:19 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Big Announcement!

Announcement!
Huddle
News
Moosehead Unveils Small-Batch Brewery Location

Sep 19, 2016by Cherise Letson

SAINT JOHN – Moosehead Breweries has unveiled the location of its new small-batch brewery in Saint John.

The company says the new brewery will be built on Water Street in the city’s uptown on land currently owned by Port Saint John.

Moosehead president Andrew Oland told Huddle the waterfront location is prime for what they want the new brewery to achieve.

“The waterfront location is very compelling because it’s at the centre of both where cruise ship passengers and tourists come to Saint John as well as two major entertainment districts in Saint John, which are the Trinity Royal and Market Square areas,” Oland said. “And of course it’s on the water, which is a fabulous opportunity for us to showcase Moosehead.

Announced in June, the small-batch brewery will be a 10,000 square foot space and include two small-scale brewing systems. The brewery’s open-concept design will accommodate tours and training, a tap room and a retail area for merchandise and beer sales. Moosehead’s brewers will use the small-scale brewing systems to create a new series of small batch brews that will be available for sale at the new brewery, at licensees and at retail outlets.

“We have a lovely brewery on the west side, but it’s a bigger brewery and it’s just not suited for brewing and packaging small batches or beer when we want to test things, when we want to work with innovation,” Oland said. “It’s just our batch size is too big here. That will be the first thing. We have all sorts of incredible ideas and talented brewers over here.”

Oland says the new location will also help spread the company’s story through tours, something the company hasn’t offered since the 1990’s.

“It’s a way to tell our story. We have a lovely story and an authentic story as Canada’s oldest independent brewery and consumers will be able to experience this through a rich tourist experience while also being exposed to and learning about beer.”

The company will enter a long-term lease with Port Saint John for the land.

“We have a long-term lease with the Port of Saint John and then it’s our responsibility and our cost to build a brewery on that site,” Oland said. “We’ve signed a letter of intent with the Port of Saint John and both sides are going through the appropriate due diligence which includes some environmental work and then we move towards signing a lease over the next month or so.”

Moosehead has hired Mackay-Lyons Sweetapple of Halifax as the architect for the project and FCC Construction in Saint John as the construction manager. The build is expected to get underway in Spring 2017 and the brewery will open later that year

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw78 View Post
Is this development still going ahead? If so, the combination of both is really going to help transform Water Street!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...john-1.3659375
I'll believe Fundy Quay hype when I see equipment on-site and construction fences erected, and not a moment sooner. We've been burned one too many times chasing that carrot.

One thing that I do hope the Moosehead microbrewery will help to precipitate, though, is for some businesses to set up shop in the many empty storefronts along Water Street. Contrary to the city's rhetoric in the article, it's kind of a ghost town and not what I'd call an appealing first sight for cruise ship visitors. There's Steamers, and a barbershop... and lots of empty windows.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
One thing that I do hope the Moosehead microbrewery will help to precipitate, though, is for some businesses to set up shop in the many empty storefronts along Water Street. Contrary to the city's rhetoric in the article, it's kind of a ghost town and not what I'd call an appealing first sight for cruise ship visitors. There's Steamers, and a barbershop... and lots of empty windows.
Loyalist City Brewing announced a few weeks ago that they too were setting up shop on Water street. It's really too bad that Harbourfront Res. didn't build retail space on the Water street level..but you can only do what the market at the time can handle.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 12:48 AM

Was at the Union Club today to hear the talk from Karen Cousins about the new brewery. Great talk and very exciting. It's going to be 12,000 sf with a tap room and retail outlet.....I'm not a big beer guy but it sounds like this will be an amazing place and a real game changer for Water Street. It will be built at the base of Princess Street on the north side. This is port land. It would have been nice if the city land....old coast guard site could have been used as this would make it just that much closer to market square. Maybe one of these days that announcement that's been "coming soon" for the development of that site will actually happen.....I've been waiting 8 years!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces