HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 1:38 AM

This building for me is the highlight of NYC construction projects. None other comes close, not Hudson yards and certainly not those skinny super-talls for the rich. Glad to see they're not wasting any time and looks like it will rise quickly.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 4:20 AM
BANNED

^Without “the rich”, we wouldn’t have any super-talls. Though I am with you in that this one is the creme de la creme.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 3:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr101 View Post
This building for me is the highlight of NYC construction projects. None other comes close, not Hudson yards and certainly not those skinny super-talls for the rich.
Supertalls for the rich, bad. Supertalls for wealthy corporations, good. Got it.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/23/prospec...ne-vanderbilt/

Prospective tenants already flocking to One Vanderbilt

By Steve Cuozzo
October 23, 2017

Quote:
One Vanderbilt is drawing a strong early leasing interest for a building that’s barely out of the ground and won’t be finished for at least three years.

Giant global investment firm Carlyle Group is the latest prospective tenant in talks with developer SL Green for four floors in the $3.1 billion, 1.7-million-square-foot skyscraper, sources told The Post.

SL Green had “no comment for now” on a possible Carlyle Group lease.

Coincidentally or not, SL Green announced in December that it had named a Carlyle Group partner and managing director, Lauren Dillard, as an independent director to SLG’s board of directors.

As we first reported last month, Germany’s DZ Bank and DVB Bank have signed on for the 26th floor with 35,500 square feet — following the first signed office tenant, TD Bank, which will have 200,000 square feet.

My colleague Lois Weiss recently reported that McKinsey & Co. was also seriously looking at a One Vanderbilt deal for 250,000 square feet.

SL Green’s strategy has generally been to lure financial tenants in the 250,000-square-foot range, rather than one tenant to take a giant chunk of the entire skyscraper.

Restaurateur Daniel Boulud signed on in April for an 11,000-square-foot eatery complex on the new tower’s second floor.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 4:07 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Supertalls for the rich, bad. Supertalls for wealthy corporations, good. Got it.

By Steve Cuozzo
October 23, 2017
I agree. without one we cannot have the other.

This tower sure will make a big impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 10:03 PM

Do you think the faster sales go up, that there may be the possiblity to restore the original intended height. Or is it too late to do any of that business?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:

By Steve Cuozzo
October 23, 2017
Correction, supertalls for super-rich cooperations that employ thousands of NY'ers. Oh and don't just sit empty!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 11:48 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

the leviathan ariseth.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwayze1994 View Post
Do you think the faster sales go up, that there may be the possiblity to restore the original intended height. Or is it too late to do any of that business?
I believe (though I may be incorrect) that the entire tower was reduced in size. It's not as if the top floors were simply chopped off...if you notice, the crown is roughly proportional in size to the rest of the building in both the original and reduced height towers.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:16 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
God I hope so

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:36 AM
Casagranda

This is a beautiful tower. I'm sure it will be very attractive

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The buiding I believe is pretty much the same size it was intended to be (though I remember it as being slightly smaller). I think it's the layout of the tower, the distribution of that bulk that altered the height.

Quote:
Correction, supertalls for super-rich cooperations that employ thousands of NY'ers. Oh and don't just sit empty!
And the residential towers also employ New Yorkers (they don't just hire robots), and don't sit empty, contrary to some of the opinion on these boards. These residential towers don't get the breaks that these corporations do, and the "rich" that buy these apartments would be buying real estate in the city anyway, be it high in the sky or not. Or would you prefer that the rich simply take their money elsewhere? Maybe the City shoudn't get that investment? Maybe you think the rich shouldn't be in the city at all? I don't know that you would want to see that New York. The bottom line - New York is a place (like it or not) for the wealthy, be it corporations or people - and they will have homes. New York builds, and it builds into the sky. Get used to it.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:16 AM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 2:46 AM

Quote:
The buiding I believe is pretty much the same size it was intended to be (though I remember it as being slightly smaller). I think it's the layout of the tower, the distribution of that bulk that altered the height.

And the residential towers also employ New Yorkers (they don't just hire robots), and don't sit empty, contrary to some of the opinion on these boards. These residential towers don't get the breaks that these corporations do, and the "rich" that buy these apartments would be buying real estate in the city anyway, be it high in the sky or not. Or would you prefer that the rich simply take their money elsewhere? Maybe the City shoudn't get that investment? Maybe you think the rich shouldn't be in the city at all? I don't know that you would want to see that New York. The bottom line - New York is a place (like it or not) for the wealthy, be it corporations or people - and they will have homes. New York builds, and it builds into the sky. Get used to it.
Yes New York builds and I have no problem with that. I have no problem with the rich either. Nice assumption though. They're not going anywhere, no they're not going to take their money elsewhere. This is New York, here is where the money is. I do have a problem with the proliferation of these skinny super-talls that's constructed and purchased by shady foreign LLC's that do nothing to contribute to the general infrastructure of the city. They also make the skyline look like a pin cushion from a far. Leave that for Dubai. I prefer NY builds more buildings like One Vanderbilt, WTC towers and Hudson Yards. These developments are actually for the benefit of NYC. Developments that provide public plazas and addition improved access to the subway. We need more of this and less of Steinway, CPT and 432 Park.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 4:01 AM

Quote:
I do have a problem with the proliferation of these skinny super-talls that's constructed and purchased by shady foreign LLC's that do nothing to contribute to the general infrastructure of the city.
Except there's no such thing.

Places like Miami and London are dominated by foreign money. NYC is dominated by local money. Even the most foreigner-friendly buildings in NYC are like 30% foreign, which is nothing for a global city.

NYC has a greater concentration of wealth than anywhere on the planet. It doesn't need foreign money, and there isn't really a reason for foreign money to invest in NYC real estate, unless they actually plan on living here. If you want to hide shady ill-gotten gains, there are much more friendly jurisdictions to hide your wealth.

And anyone buying a condo in NYC is obviously contributing to the general infrastructure of the city, given that the city has some of the highest property transfer taxes on the planet, alongside a sizable mansion tax. A typical unit on Billionaires Row delivers $1 million+ in transfer/mansion taxes alone (and that's before property taxes). Frankly, if anything, it would be to NYC's benefit to be more friendly to foreign money.

Also, office buildings aren't really less targeted to "the rich". One Vanderbilt has $200+ sf rents. Even fancier 425 Park Avenue has the highest asking rents in the U.S., and will have one of the most expensive restaurants anywhere at the base (same chefs/owners as Eleven Madison Park, probably highest rated restaurant on the planet). Tenants will be nothing but banks, hedge funds, and other extreme high salary employers. The same people living in nice new condos are likely to be working in nice new office buildings.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 12:58 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

it's just amazing the time they are not wasting.

up and up it goes relentlessly.

i would have guessed they would still be stuck in the foundation with all the complicated connections to mta down there and with other delays.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 2:56 PM

If Anyone is interested i posted a video update on YouTube of the this tower's construction. Sorry if my voice isn't that clear, also excuse my accent. I'm from the UK. But i'm gonna do video updates of this building as it rises. Check me out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrVNstur__Y&t=44s

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 3:27 PM
Development Shill

68 floors but 1,400 feet? What a goofy building. Is half of it non-occupied architectural design?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 5:53 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
68 floors but 1,400 feet? What a goofy building. Is half of it non-occupied architectural design?
Probably skipped floors and presence of multiple mechanical and/or multi-floor atriums/public spaces? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 8:45 PM

It's actually 58 real floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive