HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 6:08 PM

It's not a controversy just saying geo-politically it is in the mid-west. Most people don't associate it with the Northeast.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking of coming soon. I'll have 5 days in New York - first time on the east coast. And I would love to get in Detroit too. Without transport, and arriving at the bus station - alone - downtown is fine in terms of safety? I am looking at staying in some accommodation in Corktown.
This is kinda how it started an Aussie was looking to head over to the N.E. corner of the U.S. which I mean we are in the eastern time zone so close enough I guess. haha

Detroit I'd say definitely looks east more than it does west, the Great Lakes region of the Midwest is much more culturally similar to the Northeast then to Iowa or Missouri no offence meant to either great state. A current example is that it seems almost a sure thing that Michigan will become the first state outside of the Northeast or West to legalize marijuana becoming the tenth state to do so, stem cell research was legalized in 2008 ...

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhueaglesphan View Post
Since when is Detroit in the Northeast?
Yeah, I kind of thought about this when I wrote it originally. It was intended in a vague sense of the north-east quadrant.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 3:58 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'm most concerned about visiting alone - at this stage - and without a car. Can you see the best buildings on foot - skyscrapers, some historical grit and maybe Greektown? I know nothing about Detroit, just that I am drawn to it, more than other cities. And is it fairly convenient to get an Uber from the Greyhound Bus Station?

Basically, will I be safe walking around downtown alone with a DSLR camera? And are there other people on the streets - say, on a Sunday, generally speaking?

Last edited by jens; Jun 18, 2018 at 11:03 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 3:04 PM

The Greyhound station is practically downtown - you can walk there pretty easily. Other than Corktown and some of the cool stuff along Grand Boulevard (including Indian Village and Belle Isle), you can walk to pretty much any of the interesting parts of the city, or take the PeopleMover or Qline. Detroit has some fantastic suburbs as well, but you'd definitely want a car if you were to venture up to Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham or Pontiac.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:00 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Basically, will I be safe walking around downtown alone with a DSLR camera? And are there other people on the streets - say, on a Sunday, generally speaking?
Yes, you should be alright in the greater downtown taking pictures; if you look on, say, Flickr, you will see that there are quite a few regular photographers who walk this area going back years. Of course, be street-smart; don't let someone try to distract you with calls for help or anything. But it's not like there has ever been a spat of muggers robbing photographers downtown.

I know some fellow homers may disagree, but like in most cities, an inter-city bus station is not generally a place where you'll want to spend any more time than you have to, and Detroit is no exception, and especially if you're a tourist whose accent might give you away as an easy mark if you naively start up random discussions/asking questions. I will admit hearing you say you were coming into the Greyhound station has me a little nervous.

As for activity on a Sunday? It kind of depends if something is going on like a sporting event or concert(s), but I've generally noticed that even on Sunday the downtown is fairly active, now. The parks/squares will for sure have at least some activity on a lazy Sunday. I'd recommend people watching in Hart Plaza and the GM Plaza and Promenade as well as Rivard Plaza and Miliken State Park. All of these are connected by the RiverWalk, so you don't have to try and navigate busy streets or anything.

As for transit, it's still just not there at the level it needs to be to get around very easily outside of the downtown area, and especially on a Sunday. The QLine streetcar line on Woodward will get you to most of the cultural amenties in Midtown. It'd be nice if I could recommend you use public transit to get to Belle Isle, which is a stunning island park on the east side, but I don't believe there is any direct route to the island from downtown. BTW, you could actually get to the suburbs of Ferndale and Birmingham directly pretty easily on SMART's new FAST routes. Sunday service is slower than weekdays, of course, but if 30 minutes between buses isn't two much for you on a lazy Sunday, you can have a nice, clean rider on this service up and down Wooward. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Ridership has increased since the service was introduced in January, and you get free wifi on the buses, too. lol

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:16 PM

You people really know how to derail a photo thread.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 8:22 AM

I've booked. Sorry for derailing the thread. I have to say the seed was planted for me to see Detroit on a thread like this right here probably about ten years ago. I know Chicago has more, and I have always wanted to see Philadelphia, but there's just something about Detroit. So my trip looks like it will be NYC, Montreal, Toronto, Detroit and back to NYC (just snagged Late Show tickets!). Awesome.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:01 PM

Detroit definitely makes sense considering your itinerary, Toronto is close. You could tack on Chicago at the end but skipping Detroit would be dumb and a huge missed opportunity, it's a different city with a rich history and the core is much larger walkable than people realize, you'll have plenty to see and do.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 4:17 AM

Quote:
I've booked. Sorry for derailing the thread. I have to say the seed was planted for me to see Detroit on a thread like this right here probably about ten years ago. I know Chicago has more, and I have always wanted to see Philadelphia, but there's just something about Detroit. So my trip looks like it will be NYC, Montreal, Toronto, Detroit and back to NYC (just snagged Late Show tickets!). Awesome.
Hello jens. If you'd like a guide to show you around during your stay or if you'd like any realistic information on where to go, what to see, etc, I would love to assist you. I've lived in and around Detroit my entire life and have never had issues with "wild dogs". Once I had two stray pitbulls staring at me from the parking lot of an abandoned school I was urban exploring. Other than that, I see them occasionally crossing streets and such but I very rarely see them anywhere near downtown, Midtown, Corktown, etc. Its not like you're going to step out of your airbnb and gets mauled by gigantic stray pit. You also asked earlier if downtown is dead on Sundays. Usually Sunday is the least active day of the week, and yes, it will be very quiet. Fridays and Saturdays are more active with a lot of people barhopping and such.

Getting back on track, these photos are great! You've done a good job representing downtown, although the streets seem a little quieter than normal in these photos.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 7:59 PM

Very much looking forward to seeing how the Hudsons and Monroe Blocks projects play off of, and work with, all these wonderful buildings and what develops near the train depot. There will also be another bridge spanning the Detroit River into Canada starting soon.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:30 AM

Amazing photos of Detroit and the architecture is phenomenal.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos