HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 12:04 AM

Everyone here keeps saying that location needs a lift, but food wise that building is a gem:

- Ada's and Gina's both great diners for breakfast
- Grab some green tea at the Asian tea store and some records from sounds unlikely
- Clocktower brew pub is just a few blocks away
- Vietnamese kitchen has awesome Pad Thai and $2.50 beers!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Wow, condoms and cash. What else could be more convenient for a single apartment dweller late at night?
liquor store.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawade View Post
Everyone here keeps saying that location needs a lift, but food wise that building is a gem:

- Grab some green tea at the Asian tea store and some records from sounds unlikely
Don't forget The Works. Nothing says classy condo living like gourmet hamburgers! (one of my personal favourites)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 9:10 PM

Just wondering if anyone has a copy of a price list they can post, or at least any information about the price range for 1bedroom+den's.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 1:55 PM
National Capital Region

two citizen articles on central

Picture this condo at Gladstone & Bank - Hundreds lined up to buy, money in hand, proving Central is one very hot property

Taking a risk - Developers still have to secure council approval for $70-million modern condo

I really don't get Clive Doucet
Across the council table, Capital Ward Councillor Clive Doucet is firmly opposed to the design of the condominium, although he says it's good news that more people will be living downtown.

"It's an ugly building. It looks like a military barracks with balconies," says Doucet, who was the only councillor at planning committee to oppose the condominium. "It is way over-built. We needed development in that area, but in a six-storey building with lots of green space and large apartments for families, not just old and young people.

"This is uglification of downtown, not densification," adds the councillor, who often rides his bike to city hall from his Glebe home. "This gives densification a bad name."

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 3:27 PM

If this condo was being built on Sparks Street or Sussex I would understand some of Clive Doucet's coments, but it is being built along one of the most run-down areas of Bank Street and promises to bring people, stores, and a bit of life to that area. Not to mention that this will be in place of a really horrid-looking church and a surface parking lot. I don't find the building to look all that bad. I wouldn't want to see a DT that consisted of only this style but a mixture of styles, including this one, looks quite nice (it reminds me of some of the new projects in the Distillery District in Toronto). I will be surprized if this project does not go through.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 3:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post

Picture this condo at Gladstone & Bank - Hundreds lined up to buy, money in hand, proving Central is one very hot property

Taking a risk - Developers still have to secure council approval for $70-million modern condo

Across the council table, Capital Ward Councillor Clive Doucet is firmly opposed to the design of the condominium, although he says it's good news that more people will be living downtown.

"It's an ugly building. It looks like a military barracks with balconies," says Doucet, who was the only councillor at planning committee to oppose the condominium. "It is way over-built. We needed development in that area, but in a six-storey building with lots of green space and large apartments for families, not just old and young people.

"This is uglification of downtown, not densification," adds the councillor, who often rides his bike to city hall from his Glebe home. "This gives densification a bad name."
Doucet and Holmes are the grumpy old sneering folks on council who talk a good talk about densification etc, in the City but when it happens to be in their Ward they get very dismissive. Do either of these two have any background in architecture, urban planning, urban design or similar backgrounds.

Calling a building 'ugly' is a very broad viewpoint for somebody who is supposed to be representing an entire area of the City. However, it seems as though his opinions don't hold much weight as 130 people put down deposits.

In terms of timing, the development has probably been through so many hoops at City Hall that they took a calculated risk to start pre-selling now. AFAIK, they haven't done anything wrong.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 11:14 PM

Ok I'm going to de-lurk myself here and post some photos from this afternoon at the Central sales center. This sales board showing which units have been sold (red dots)

and the price list from Sunday April 6. They've upped the price of the London unit from 234,000 to 259,000 in just one week!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 12:45 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Thanks, interesting info for sure!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 12:50 AM
Awesome!

Quote:

Looking at the picture on the Citizen article, I've have to agree it doesn't look too inspiring in that angle, not to mention it is another low/mid-rise downtown

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmOttawa View Post
Ok I'm going to de-lurk myself here and post some photos from this afternoon at the Central sales center. This sales board showing which units have been sold (red dots)

and the price list from Sunday April 6. They've upped the price of the London unit from 234,000 to 259,000 in just one week!

I visited the sales center on Saturday afternoon, which seemed to be as busy as ever. My girlfriend and I are new to the the 'buying a condo' world, but we were quite surprised and confused about what we saw. I was hoping someone here may have some advice/knowledge about condo shopping.

We originally looked at Mondrian, which we were excited about, but we weren't prepared to act now in buying. However, the unit that we like that is available (1bedroom + den on 19th floor), has risen from about 230K to now 266K in only a couple of weeks (of which I am sure that 230K is much higher than the original prices) - frustrating!.

Now, in regards to Central, we liked the building, not a huge fan of the location (for these prices), however quite liked the unites and the finishes. What we can't understand, is after only a week and a half on the market, is this degree of price fluctuation typical? The Citizen article talks about some of the prices rising 25K following the opening night, and some going from 134K to 195K in one day. Even from Saturday to Sundays (posted above) pricelist the London has risen 5K (it is posted as $254,900 on my price list from Saturday). What we don't understand is why is there such a change in prices in such a short period of time? I assume that price changes are due to supply/demand, but having never witnessed another building release in Ottawa, is this frenzy typical or are people just very excited about project? I personally was more excited about the Mondrian location, however was hoping as the Central will not be open for another 3 years that we would be able to take our time before buying a unit. We liked the Stockholm unit, but at almost 280K +parking+storage (at today's prices, don't know how long will stay for) to wait three years to live a significant distance down Bank Street where it becomes a hassle to get to the Market or even a bit of a walk to the Transitway, I personally don't see the value.

I hope this hasn't become a rant, but this weekend was frustruating as these projects have lost us as potential buyer's. I guess this was an experience for us, and now when we have cash in hand and ready to sign, I will know that I need to act on opening day to get a good price and be prepared to wait for the building to be built.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 3:37 AM

Opening night had deals for previous buyers from the Mondrian and East Market. People were aware of the cost difference before going there. So basically you would have paid the "new" price anyways.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 7:20 PM

I have a feeling many of those sales are bogus and have been purchased by realtors and speculators, not prospective tenants.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 10:20 PM
National Capital Region

APPLICATION TO DEMOLISH A PORTION OF 453 BANK STREET AND APPLICATION TO ALTER 453 BANK STREET LOCATED IN THE CENTRETOWN HERITAGE CONSERVATION DISTRICT AND APPLICATION TO DEMOLISH 343 MCLEOD STREET

Committee recommendations as amended

That Council:

1. Approve the application to demolish part of 453 Bank Street and to construct an addition to it consisting of a new residential building with retail at grade according to plans submitted by Fotenn Urban Planners and designers subject to these plans being modified to provide for the east façade having a transition in building form and scale to the lower profile development located east of the site and the retention of 453 Bank Street in situ during construction.

2. Approve delegation authority for the modifications required to be made to the east façade as set out in Recommendation 1 to the Director of Planning, in consultation with the Ward Councillor.

3. Approve the application to demolish 343 McLeod Street.
CARRIED

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
2. Approve delegation authority for the modifications required to be made to the east façade as set out in Recommendation 1 to the Director of Planning, in consultation with the Ward Councillor.
hmmm.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 3:24 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Council approves nine-story condominium project at Bank and Gladstone
More than half of 223 units at The Central are already sold
Jake RupertOttawa Citizen
Wednesday, April 09, 2008

OTTAWA-A gamble by a development company to start selling condos in a downtown building before council approved the structure paid off Wednesday when the project was overwhelmingly approved.

The $70-million building on Bank and Gladstone streets, called The Central, is to contain 223 units. Urban Capital put them on sale almost two weeks ago, banking on people's desire to live downtown would outweigh the uncertainty.

The company was right. In four days, 130 of the units had been sold, and it is expected to be full before so much as a shovel is put in the ground and three years before the building is scheduled to be completed.

The apartment building will surround the front of the Metropolitan Bible Church, which will be retained. It will be nine-storeys high at its tallest point with fewer storeys fronting on Bank Street.

The condos, which will range in size from 468 square feet and an introductory price of $134,900 to 1,117 square feet and $419,900, are wide and shallow, and face an inner courtyard or the street. There are also penthouses and loft houses planned for the eco-friendly building, which will meet LEED's (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver standards.

Members of the city's architecture advisory board had urged council to reject the building on several grounds, including that the "massive block" style didn't take advantage of the "exciting architectural opportunities" offered by the site. They also said the building was way out of proportion with the guideline of three- to four-storey buildings along traditional main streets like Bank Street.

Furthermore, the advisory board warned that if the city keeps allowing larger buildings than called for in the city's heritage plans, the documents soon would be only worth the paper they are written on.

Capital Councillor Clive Doucet alone voted against the project Wednesday.

The rest of the councillors, including Somerset Councillor Diane Holmes, who is responsible for the area, voted to allow the proposal.

© Ottawa Citizen 2008
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...8c864b&k=80566

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 12:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
hmmm.
Yeah, that one scares me as well...delegated authority is supposed to be w/o local Councillor input (aka interference) and I believe this is in Holmes ward...so you can be sure at the last minute the density will be cut in 1/2 etc.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawade View Post

Vietnamese Kitchen with their cheap beer will have mucho more clientele now that the homeless drop in centre is moving across the street.

At least if you are single and live at Central you wont have to go too far for beer, drugs and whores....single life at its best!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz View Post
Vietnamese Kitchen with their cheap beer will have mucho more clientele now that the homeless drop in centre is moving across the street.

At least if you are single and live at Central you wont have to go too far for beer, drugs and whores....single life at its best!!!!!!
What is the point of homeless centers in the city anyways? They haven't learned their lessons from the Byward Market? You never try to help people in their enviromnent. This centre should have been built in the exurbs. These centre don't serve any purpose they continue keeping the people in misery, by giving them food and a shelter, while they can continue to panhandle and do drugs.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 3:22 AM

The sales board is interesting. I suspect the north facing units on the second and third floor are going to be a tough sell (bad light and Gladstone traffic is taking urban lifestyle a tad too far for most). I am surprised, however that the north facing units on the top floors also seem to be moving slowly, including the top floor north-east corner. I thought the downtown view would be a big selling point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa