HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 12:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Hahah, touche. The fact that we have both a CFL and NHL team puts us in the rank of Calgary and Edmonton as far as I'm concerned
Ha ha ha...Edmonton grew by 12.1% and Saskatoon by 11.4%...poor broken down, delapidated Winnipeg by 5.1%. Soon, Saskatoon will overtake Winnipeg; how embarrassing.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 1:40 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart View Post
Ha ha ha...Edmonton grew by 12.1% and Saskatoon by 11.4%...poor broken down, delapidated Winnipeg by 5.1%. Soon, Saskatoon will overtake Winnipeg; how embarrassing.
They better not get LRT before us

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 2:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Quebec City's CMA boundary grew by about 75 sq. km's between 2006 and 2011. I wonder how much population was added by default by the boundary adjustment...
Not that much. 3800 people according to another thread on a similar topic.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 2:58 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
First, there is obviously an underreporting problem with Winnipeg's numbers, and second, this is far better than the past. There are so many positives going on in Winnipeg, and you can't seem to see any of them.

And no, Saskatoon won't pass us for a very long time.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, soon....

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 4:10 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Good lord,

I understand that recent banning's were due to personal attacks, but how behaviour like this is tolerated is beyond me.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 4:11 PM

Quote:
I guess my smiley didn't make the tongue in cheek nature of my comment apparent enough. But you're right, Saskatoon will likely pass Winnipeg in a few short years!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 4:17 PM

The Stats Can numbers are just plain wrong. It's census shows Manitoba grew by 60,000 from 1.148 million to 1.208 million yet Manitoba received 64,000 immigrants alone from 2006-2011.(link Winnipeg Free Press:Over the same five years, Manitoba's population climbed to 1,208,268 from 1,148,401. The 5.2 per cent growth rate was double that of the previous five-year period, thanks largely to an influx of more than 64,000 immigrants). that's not including 1 birth in the province for 5 years. If you include birth's which accounts for 1/3 of growth that is another 21,000 people which means Manitoba really grew by roughly 85,000 people not 60,000.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
The Stats Can numbers are just plain wrong. It's census shows Manitoba grew by 60,000 from 1.148 million to 1.208 million yet Manitoba received 64,000 immigrants alone from 2006-2011.(link Winnipeg Free Press:Over the same five years, Manitoba's population climbed to 1,208,268 from 1,148,401. The 5.2 per cent growth rate was double that of the previous five-year period, thanks largely to an influx of more than 64,000 immigrants). that's not including 1 birth in the province for 5 years. If you include birth's which accounts for 1/3 of growth that is another 21,000 people which means Manitoba really grew by roughly 85,000 people not 60,000.
The results are still inconclusive. More accurate results will come out later on this year or in the next couple of years.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 5:22 PM
jammon member

This happened in 2006 as well. They released the numbers and everyone was upset about how little we had grown. Then, they released the undercount numbers a couple of years later and the numbers ballooned. A census is a point in time statistic. It is barely reflective of the complexities associated with municipal and provinical growth and in-migration and out-migration. I guarantee those numbers will be inflated hugely after they account for the undercoverage. I know of many people in Winnipeg who didn't even complete a census, so it really is reflective of the little interest involved with the process.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 5:58 PM

Quote:
I think your math skills are the only thing that's embarassing. Assuming the growth rate between this census and the next ones stay the same, Saskatoon will surpass Winnipeg in population by the 2101 census. Real soon indeed.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
The estimates are , in fact , closer to the truth in all probability .
There are a number of factors involved but you can get a better idea of the population by looking at job creation , average household size , trends , etc. than a simple count . The problem with a simple head count is that some people move , some people don't realize their participation is mandatory , kids are born , and a million other factors .
Census counts give you a better idea of how population centers stack up against each other , what kinds of trends areas are experiencing , and so on . They're just a snapshot . What will happen (in Winnipeg's case at least) is that the numbers will be adjusted upwards significantly although by how much is anybody's guess . Don't forget too that other centers will see their numbers pushed higher so don't hold your breath in expectation of change in the city's national ranking .

Stats-Can openly acknowledges that census figures aren't accurate due to so many fluid factors and more precise numbers don't become available until the adjustments are made .
This is a good point, and a good post

Quote:
Quebec City's CMA boundary grew by about 75 sq. km's between 2006 and 2011. I wonder how much population was added by default by the boundary adjustment...
True but regardless if its added in the census then Stats Can believes at least half of whatever regions were included in the CMA boundary ultimately service Quebec City in work force

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
See the most interesting thing is the opting out in general. I lived with my parents during the census so I didn't have to fill it out, but I distinctly remember months of radio broadcasting we had to fill the census out by law. If it is a legal matter than should there be no discrepancies? Besides homeless and transient population of course.
It is legal, yes. But as Spocket pointed out, discrepancies occur.

Quote:

Right. Lets ignore how from 2006-2011, Winnipeg growth almost double from 2001-2006. Within which there was a full decade of negative growth from 1991-2001. For a "have-not" city. That has a rough reputation across the country. That people choose not to live in (including those who are only citizens by heart ). The growth rates were expected (a little on the low side though), and its nothing but a positive sign if you ask me.

And you're entirely correct about the Saskatoon comparison. It will only take about 60 years of continuous 11.4% growth rates every 5 years for Saskatoon to get 713k people. If Winnipeg stops growing right now.

Friggin hell man, I can understand certain criticisms you might bring and some good points you might make for discussions sake, but this consistent dumping on Winnipeg is getting old. Winnipeg isn't oil country or potash country. Deal with it.

And I'm happy for Edmonton & Saskatoon....they deserve their fortunes as far as I'm concerned, especially Saskatoon which has taken a lot of crap and had its share of rough economic times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Good lord,

I understand that recent banning's were due to personal attacks, but how behaviour like this is tolerated is beyond me.
he's allowed to have his opinion, even if it is ridiculously negative. we'll just send him to the mosquito pit next time he's in Winnipeg.

Quote:
I guess my smiley didn't make the tongue in cheek nature of my comment apparent enough. But you're right, Saskatoon will likely pass Winnipeg in a few short years!
No man, I heard its happening this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
This happened in 2006 as well. They released the numbers and everyone was upset about how little we had grown. Then, they released the undercount numbers a couple of years later and the numbers ballooned. A census is a point in time statistic. It is barely reflective of the complexities associated with municipal and provinical growth and in-migration and out-migration. I guarantee those numbers will be inflated hugely after they account for the undercoverage. I know of many people in Winnipeg who didn't even complete a census, so it really is reflective of the little interest involved with the process.
This post, brings sense and logic.

The undercount will bring it up closer to estimations. Its completely irrelevant to me that we're not in 7th, but there's a fair discrepancy with these numbers, and not just for Winnipeg. This seems to point to the adjustments, or lack-thereof.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:34 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There's always a tendency to extrapolate the most recent census growth rates, but things change.

Ten years ago Windsor was one of the fastest-growing CMAs in Canada, for example, and people on this forum made all sorts of predictions about how it would overtake other cities in the future. The 1996-2001 census figures reported that Saskatoon grew by 3.1% and Saskatchewan's population growth was -1.1%. Back then people announced that Saskatchewan was obviously finished.

Part of the real explanation here is that some cities have a boom-bust economy while others grow more steadily over time.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:45 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I think your math skills are the only thing that's embarassing. Assuming the growth rate between this census and the next ones stay the same, Saskatoon will surpass Winnipeg in population by the 2101 census. Real soon indeed.
I agree with cheswick. One of the reasons I don't post here as often any more is because of comments that have no basis in reality. Opinions should not be censored, but they should be based on facts. To add to cheswick's math, if we consider the last two census periods the comparable growth rate of these two cities is 7.45 to 3.9. One can argue this is more indicative of longer term growth. In this case Saskatoon would not over take Winnipeg in population until 2166. A more rigorous analysis of historical data would show that over the last 155 years these two cities (as well as all other Canadian cities) have had quite variable growth and it is likely this will continue into the future.

PS I congratulate Saskatoon (and Regina) on their recent improvements in growth.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
My guess would be that some of the discrepancy is due to the continued out-migration that Manitoba continues to experience. Even in quarterly reports, immigration has often equaled or been greater than total population growth because many current residents leave the province.

Beyond that, I would assume that there is probably a 2% or so error factor. Regina's own estimates had its CMA population at 215,000 while the census figures pegged it at 210,000. In Manitoba's case, that would be around 24,000 more people which would probably be closer to reality.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 10:23 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
I agree with cheswick. One of the reasons I don't post here as often any more is because of comments that have no basis in reality. Opinions should not be censored, but they should be based on facts. To add to cheswick's math, if we consider the last two census periods the comparable growth rate of these two cities is 7.45 to 3.9. One can argue this is more indicative of longer term growth. In this case Saskatoon would not over take Winnipeg in population until 2166. A more rigorous analysis of historical data would show that over the last 155 years these two cities (as well as all other Canadian cities) have had quite variable growth and it is likely this will continue into the future.

PS I congratulate Saskatoon (and Regina) on their recent improvements in growth.
Even then, we'll still have 3.6km of Rapid Transit while Saskatoon develops LRT, Hovercars and Rocketships.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 11:33 PM

Ok I am always hearing people talk about how people are leaving the city. How people arrive in Winnipeg, and then leave. Where are the stats to back this up. Or is it just self depreciation. Because I find it hard to believe that for every Minority or Immigrant that comes into Winnipeg, 1 person leaves.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 12:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
For all you so-called mathematicians, it did not take that long for Calgary and Edmonton to overtake us, so Saskatoon will too. It took Calgary only about 30 years to go from half of our population in the mid 1960s to equalling ours in the mid to late 80s. Edmonton's population had been closer to ours during the 60s, but it did not take very long to overtake us.

The complacency displayed by so many of you, and your nonchalant attitudes are why Winnipeg is in the proverbial toilet. As the last 80 years past, and Winnipeg suffered blow after blow, nobody cared enough to do anything about it. It is embarrassing when we are left in the dust.

Last edited by Winnipegger@Heart; Feb 10, 2012 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 12:32 AM
BANNED

Last one out turn the lights off, thanks.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...opulation.html

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 2:04 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
For all you so-called mathematicians, it did not take that long for Calgary and Edmonton to overtake us, so Saskatoon will too. It took Calgary only about 30 years to go from half of our population in the mid 1960s to equalling ours in the mid to late 80s. Edmonton's population had been closer to ours during the 60s, but it did not take very long to overtake us.

The complacency displayed by so many of you, and your nonchalant attitudes are why Winnipeg is in the proverbial toilet. As the last 80 years past, and Winnipeg suffered blow after blow, nobody cared enough to do anything about it. It is embarrassing when we are left in the dust.
Especially the 1990s. That decade was hell

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan