HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:03 AM

Adler sounds like he doesn't want to "win" Amazon and lose the next election. He seems to know that there are a lot of people in Austin either opposed to HQ2 or deeply ambivalent about the prospect of Amazon setting up shop here.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Adler sounds like he doesn't want to "win" Amazon and lose the next election. He seems to know that there are a lot of people in Austin either opposed to HQ2 or deeply ambivalent about the prospect of Amazon setting up shop here.
I agree completely. He's more of a career politician than a visionary like Will Wynn was. He'll do what he thinks will get him the most votes. I almost clicked on Toronto because Adler was awful.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBeerKe...75944152338432

Does this mean anything? Is IBM anywhere near one of the HQ2 sites?
I just drove by this building on the way home ... and it’s funny but that sign’s at an awkward angle, and also somewhat hidden from Burnet Rd. So it actually does seem like it’s specifically built to face Broadmoor.

Made me kind of go “huh, how about that.”

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 3:04 PM
クラブトクヨ

This article caught my eye today, just because Home Depot is based in Atlanta and that is a competitor city for Hq2.

“Home Depot to hire up to 500 tech workers in Austin as part of $11B strategic initiative“

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ource=facebook

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
This article caught my eye today, just because Home Depot is based in Atlanta and that is a competitor city for Hq2.

“Home Depot to hire up to 500 tech workers in Austin as part of $11B strategic initiative“

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ource=facebook
No surprise here. It's not just tech companies that are hiring for tech jobs here. Austin has definitely become a leader in "tech hub" creation. Home Depot has been actively hiring tech workers here for years.

Home Depot, Walmart, GM, and more continue to open hubs and/or add to what they already have in Austin. The trend has only been accelerating.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
No surprise here. It's not just tech companies that are hiring for tech jobs here. Austin has definitely become a leader in "tech hub" creation. Home Depot has been actively hiring tech workers here for years.

Home Depot, Walmart, GM, and more continue to open hubs and/or add to what they already have in Austin. The trend has only been accelerating.
We're also a finalist (with 14 other peer cities/usual suspects) for the US Army's Futures Command HQ . . .with an estimated 500 associated jobs.

http://www.kvue.com/article/news/loc.../269-543218304

There's really no doubt that we're one of the premier US cities for tech.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:30 PM

Also: Austin just won PIMCO's 3rd office in the US, after Newport Beach and NYC. +200 jobs by 2019. Location TBD.

Quote:
Pacific Investment Management Company LLC has settled on Austin for its new technology office.

The investment-management giant, with $1.77 trillion in assets under management, announced Tuesday that it chose the Texas capital for its third U.S. location in order to tap into the area's deep tech talent pool and to reach new clients. The office will focus on integrating digital tools into its operations but will also host business groups such as U.S. global wealth management, institutional client management and marketing. PIMCO won't have portfolio managers or traders in Austin, Bloomberg reports.

A spokeswoman for PIMCO declined to give the office's location and said she couldn't disclose whether a lease has been signed. However, per the announcement, the office is expected to open this summer with Patrick Feigley, executive vice president and head of U.S. global wealth management sales, as leader of the Austin office.

PIMCO plans to grow its Austin headcount to 200 by the end of 2019, the majority of them new hires.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-nearly-2.html

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 8:36 PM

For what it's worth....

Amazon has visited all 20 finalists for its new headquarters, report says:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/16/amaz...very-city.html

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 8:13 PM

"On Tuesday, Arlington officials announced Amazon passed on the city, stating it is "no longer moving forward in the selection process" for HQ2. Arlington was informed of the tech giant's decision in recent weeks."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/16/tech...xas/index.html

Strange considering they had narrowed it down to 20 finalists months ago...

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chundercracker View Post
"On Tuesday, Arlington officials announced Amazon passed on the city, stating it is "no longer moving forward in the selection process" for HQ2. Arlington was informed of the tech giant's decision in recent weeks."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/16/tech...xas/index.html

Strange considering they had narrowed it down to 20 finalists months ago...
Arlington was still technically "in" up to that point, as being part of the overall Dallas metro.

I guess. Makes it a bit odd then that the narrowed down list contains 3 in the DC metro. Maybe they treated that one different because of the multi-state issue?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 8:11 PM

I'm amazed at how far HQ2 chatter has fallen off. So dead that this whole thread had fallen back to the middle of page 2, near Waller Park Place. Sad, really.

Not even rumors being floated as far as I can tell. Though lots of awful coverage of Amazon's fight against Seattle's per head employee tax to help deal with homelessness. And also Bezos' insane net worth. But that's about it.

Oh and urbanists like Richard Florida are trying to get HQ2 candidate cities to pledge to not give out incentives.

Par for the course I guess.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I'm amazed at how far HQ2 chatter has fallen off. So dead that this whole thread had fallen back to the middle of page 2, near Waller Park Place. Sad, really.

Not even rumors being floated as far as I can tell. Though lots of awful coverage of Amazon's fight against Seattle's per head employee tax to help deal with homelessness. And also Bezos' insane net worth. But that's about it.

Oh and urbanists like Richard Florida are trying to get HQ2 candidate cities to pledge to not give out incentives.

Par for the course I guess.
Yea pretty much the way of the news these days... one minute everybody's furious, the next nobody gives a shit. Meanwhile nothing's changed. Carry on.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 12:07 AM

It would be cool if Amazon kept everyone posted on the cities they have ruled out which I'm sure they have by now, until they get down to the final 3 or 4. Since I don't think we need Amazon moving here in that large of a capacity, I'm one of those who can wait until they announce "The Winner". I think maybe getting a soccer team here and all the drama with it has taken a front seat over Amazon which seems like much more of a long shot over MLS coming to Austin. Maybe Amazon is waiting to see if we finally get a pro sports team in Austin before they decide on us.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:23 AM

mmm I think the current crisis may have an influence on this decision. at least depending on how things play out but if I were amazon I wouldn't want to be associated with the state.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboy92 View Post
mmm I think the current crisis may have an influence on this decision. at least depending on how things play out but if I were amazon I wouldn't want to be associated with the state.
Amazon is associated with far worse around the world

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
It would be cool if Amazon kept everyone posted on the cities they have ruled out which I'm sure they have by now, until they get down to the final 3 or 4. Since I don't think we need Amazon moving here in that large of a capacity, I'm one of those who can wait until they announce "The Winner". I think maybe getting a soccer team here and all the drama with it has taken a front seat over Amazon which seems like much more of a long shot over MLS coming to Austin. Maybe Amazon is waiting to see if we finally get a pro sports team in Austin before they decide on us.
Yeah, I'd like to see a public second round cut, too. It would be in everyone's benefit, honestly. Release the majority of their first tier to concentrate on other deals, and focus in on the last handful. And as you note, they've surely whittled it down already to fewer real contenders internally -- they just need to make it public.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboy92 View Post
Texas isn't any worse at the moment than it has been since the HQ2 process started (you might remember it was in the twilight of the latest bathroom bill); And I'd argue that, at least with this current border crisis, the blame falls squarely on Washington rather than the border states.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 2:56 PM

Amazon will follow the money more than politics. This is a 50 year bet.

Also, pretty sure their decision has been made for awhile.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 4:20 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

There's some army tech command that Austin is in the running for which has pretty much been flying under the radar. I have mixed feelings about it, mostly negative. Having said that, it is a significant economic driver if Austin is ultimately chosen.

I'm the same way about Amazon HQ2, I don't care if they come and would rather they not. Most people I know around here are not thrilled with the idea and let's face it, they already employ thousands of people here and will no doubt be hiring more.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
There's some army tech command that Austin is in the running for which has pretty much been flying under the radar. I have mixed feelings about it, mostly negative. Having said that, it is a significant economic driver if Austin is ultimately chosen.

I'm the same way about Amazon HQ2, I don't care if they come and would rather they not. Most people I know around here are not thrilled with the idea and let's face it, they already employ thousands of people here and will no doubt be hiring more.
Curious why you think the army command HQ would be a negative thing for AUstin?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin