HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 8:52 PM
Closed account

the entire first floor glass is on the facade of this building. Looks wicked. I wish it was 5 floors higher to actually do something to the skyline though.

Also, there is a sign at Ferguson/Barton advertising a 70,000 sq.ft. retail development along with 2 restaurants.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 5:49 AM
Closed account

^what's that sign referring to? i didn't think any plans had been finalized for ferguson and barton.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 6:39 PM
Closed account

I didn't either....who knows??

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 12:32 PM

There was a report that went to planning and economic development committee about a year ago. It was for three stand alone buildings and lots of surface parking at Barton and Ferguson. It looked like a crap development that was supposed to be mixed use. At the time it was subject to a lot of discussion on here.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 7:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Finally got my UBS cord fixed for my camera so here's some pictures that I had saved on my camera for awhile....

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 5:16 AM

Taken 28 July 2008

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 12:10 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

It would have made more sense to turn that large glass face towards the south from an energy conservation standpoint. But what do I know?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 1:02 PM
Closed account

I think I have to disagree with you there, HR. In our warming climate, any heating cost savings in the winter would likely be more than offset by cooling costs in the warmer months.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
I think I have to disagree with you there, HR. In our warming climate, any heating cost savings in the winter would likely be more than offset by cooling costs in the warmer months.
That's what shades are for. Some sort of opaque shading system that rolls down from 10am - 5pm in summer, and rolls up in the winter.

No doubt estetic considerations trumped any concerns about energy efficiency... that happens sometimes.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 3:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

I really like the clean smooth shiny glass curve along the building. Big thanks to David Braley.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 4:07 PM
Hammer'd

The building looks magnificent when you see it poking out from Barton/Wellington. It transforms the area's look completely on it's own.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 4:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

A few years ago that parking lot was a notorious abandon Stelco factory. Kids would go and start a fire almost once a month. It was horrible. The City and HHS worked together to knock it down and clean up the site.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 9:22 PM
Closed account

^^ Not to mention the Plastimet site across the tracks which is now a park, and the old abandoned 'house' that HHS is turning into a type of Ronald McDonald House just outside of that shot above.

It's amazing what a new bridge, a little streetscaping and a new (architecturally pleasing) building can do for an area. Don't forget just across the Barton is meth-head alley (between Barton & Cannon), and across the bridge is the H-W Reg'l Detention Ctr (aka Barton Jail). I almost forgot while I was down there last night.

Did anyone notice the part under the new bridge? It seems rather than smoothing the cement like they do for most overpasses, they made it all spikey and ridgey. I'm assuming this is to detour those up the street from camping underneath?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 1:21 AM

What are people's thoughts on gentrification occuring in areas where residents are living below the poverty line? I don't think we could come up with a more contrasting example if we tried..

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 3:04 AM
Closed account

great topic here...I've been amazed at what is happening down in this area.
Check out the homes being reno'd to the 9's on Burlington Street...that's right - Burlington St!
At the corner of Burlington and Hughson and now another couple at Burlington and John.
It's incredible.
Even the homes on Wellington at Burlington are redone beautifully....crappy intersection to live at though.
This area is roaring back to life. If you own in the neighbourhood, don't sell now!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 3:49 PM
Closed account

that's some pretty exciting stuff. i'm still holding out hope that the jail will be relocated...probably asking too much. also on my wishlist is some infill at the corner of barton and ferguson and at wellington, too. i think we'll see that happen soon enough.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 4:07 PM
It's Hammer Time

I personally don't mind the jail, never really been a problem unlike the Halfway House on York. But hey I certainly wouldn't oppose to it being relocated.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 4:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I personally don't mind the jail, never really been a problem unlike the Halfway House on York. But hey I certainly wouldn't oppose to it being relocated.
I know a little underused area of the city in Glanbrook with soon-to-be direct Highway access via the RHVP, and just far away from any residential areas. Seems to be just sitting there waiting for places to occupy it! What a perfect fit!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 5:13 PM
Hammer'd

Some things DO belong in sprawl land...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 9:44 PM

Took a few pics today from the bridge and also up close. I'll post them tomorrow. There was a kid searching for beer bottles in the grass right next to the construction near the train tracks, probably from the Keith neighbourhood. What a clash..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton