HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:23 PM

The more I look at that bridge the more I realize just how stupid all of it is. The wavy path, the sterile uninspired concrete, the chicken wire.....I could go on.....

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
The more I look at that bridge the more I realize just how stupid all of it is. The wavy path, the sterile uninspired concrete, the chicken wire.....I could go on.....
FWIW, that same wire mesh will be on the Hilton bridge, too. Definitely not ideal, but seems to be the Austin solution to the building code.

I was on the Fairmont bridge on a day last week that happened to be raining . . . and the polished concrete was murder. Lots of slipping and sliding around in dress shoes. That's going to have to be solved in pretty short order.

The Hilton bridge will have it's own problems to solve. For instance: there's no roof. It's just kind of this interesting pipe sculpture with a ramp. Fun to look at but almost certainly unpleasant to use during weather that isn't perfect.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 6:18 PM
Meh

Actually, I saw a photo recently by a local photographer who took a photo of the bridge - at night, and it changed my mind on its merits. They had some nice lighting under the bridge shining up the legs that bathed them, the walls and the creekbed in light. I'm sure some of that was his photographic trickery, but the lights were there. It was quite beautiful. I'd post the photo, but he only shares his photos with his friends on Facebook.

One strike against these bridges is they seem to be going for the minimalist side of modern architecture. Minimalism only works on a practical scale, but it tends to neglect form. It's why I sometimes think modern architecture misses the mark. Yes, these won't be so pleasant in bad weather, or in the extremes of winter and summer. I'm not sure having them be covered in glass would have been a whole lot better. Without having window washing units or a crew blocking the street to clean them, I would think they'd become pretty gross to look through. I don't mind their open air character, but the Hilton one should at least have a roof. I haven't been on it yet, so I didn't realize it didn't. With the Farimont bridge, I wish there was a way they could wrap that concrete with some metal skin - something that is a bit reflective. With the curves the bridge takes, that would have been attractive.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 3, 2018 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Actually, I saw a photo recently by a local photographer who took a photo of the bridge - at night, and it changed my mind on its merits. They had some nice lighting under the bridge shining up the legs that bathed them, the walls and the creekbed in light. I'm sure some of that was his photographic trickery, but the lights were there. It was quite beautiful. I'd post the photo, but he only shares his photos with his friends on Facebook.

One strike against these bridges is they seem to be going for the minimalist side of modern architecture. Minimalism only works on a practical scale, but it tends to neglect form. It's why I sometimes think modern architecture misses the mark. Yes, these won't be so pleasant in bad weather, or in the extremes of winter and summer. I'm not sure having them be covered in glass would have been a whole lot better. Without having window washing units or a crew blocking the street to clean them, I would think they'd become pretty gross to look through. I don't mind their open air character, but the Hilton one should at least have a roof. I haven't been on it yet, so I didn't realize it didn't. With the Farimont bridge, I wish there was a way they could wrap that concrete with some metal skin - something that is a bit reflective. With the curves the bridge takes, that would have been attractive.
I think I found what you’re talking about. https://www.facebook.com/DowntownAus...type=3&theater

Last edited by masonh2479; Apr 6, 2018 at 1:07 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:45 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
I think I found what you talking about. https://www.facebook.com/DowntownAus...type=3&theater
It's a shame the lighting display is only temporary.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It's a shame the lighting display is only temporary.
Indeed as it makes the bare concrete and chicken wire walkway look nice! Hopefully more light shows to come!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:57 AM
Meh

Yep. That was it.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 11:22 PM

Apparently a pipe on the 7th Floor burst today according to social media reports. This is from Reddit via Twitter. I didn't bother looking for the source on Reddit.

https://twitter.com/DanKeshet

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 11:35 PM

It’s a real thing we heard about it, too . . . Though happened on Friday rather than today.

Cursed.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
It’s a real thing we heard about it, too . . . Though happened on Friday rather than today.

Cursed.
They’ve also been getting flooded with bad reviews, even after delaying opening for over a year, the Fairmont really needed more time to be ready.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 2:17 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
They’ve also been getting flooded with bad reviews, even after delaying opening for over a year, the Fairmont really needed more time to be ready.
I need to look. I normally don't gain joy in reading bad reviews but in this case, might be fun... I agree that they were not ready for the opening, it was rushed. The time my friend and I stopped by we waited at the outside bar for 20 min before the bartender got to us. She was nice and we didn't get upset cause it was just her but it showed that they were not fully staffed during SXSW no less.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I need to look. I normally don't gain joy in reading bad reviews but in this case, might be fun... I agree that they were not ready for the opening, it was rushed. The time my friend and I stopped by we waited at the outside bar for 20 min before the bartender got to us. She was nice and we didn't get upset cause it was just her but it showed that they were not fully staffed during SXSW no less.
I was reading reviews for Aloft and the Fairmont a few days ago and both generally got 4+ star ratings with the Aloft doing slightly better. There were negative reviews for both, the most scathing from a guy berating a guy working behind the desk at the Fairmont as being totally incompetent. Noise issues dominated the bad reviews for the Aloft. I did not see a flood of bad reviews for the Fairmont, perhaps you meant that as a pun masonh.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I was reading reviews for Aloft and the Fairmont a few days ago and both generally got 4+ star ratings with the Aloft doing slightly better. There were negative reviews for both, the most scathing from a guy berating a guy working behind the desk at the Fairmont as being totally incompetent. Noise issues dominated the bad reviews for the Aloft. I did not see a flood of bad reviews for the Fairmont, perhaps you meant that as a pun masonh.
I don’t know what review source you are using but I have been using a mix of TripAdvisor, Yelp, and my friends reviews who have stayed there.

The most recent TripAdvisor review as of writing this talks about floors being closed off with fans everywhere. The reviewer also discusses the apparent cleanliness issues with the hotel and attaches some pictures. The majority of the recent reviews are negative with many other reviews praising everything but the service. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...tin_Texas.html

Yelp is basically the same, point in your service and other issues with the Fairmont and proceeding to bash the hotel for the most part.

I don’t really know if I should trust TripAdvisor or Yelp but I do trust my friends when they basically confirm that service is lax and the rooms are very weird. One of my friends told me that his A/C was so loud that he had trouble sleeping. I have heard that the pool area and the gold lounge are very nice though.

I will be in Austin Monday with family and will check out the Fairmont to see what the fuss is all about.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 5:09 AM

Quote:
I don’t know what review source you are using but I have been using a mix of TripAdvisor, Yelp, and my friends reviews who have stayed there.

I will be in Austin Monday with family and will check out the Fairmont to see what the fuss is all about.

I stand corrected masonh2479. I was checking out TripAdvisor about a week ago, and you are right, there are a flood of negative reviews posted in the last few days including one of the longest negative reviews I've seen from the poor lady who just lost her son. I think TA is credible. I have to admit I am a bit disappointed in the Fairmont from what I read. Maybe you should avoid the Fairmont and go with the W or JW. I hope you have a good time in Austin.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I stand corrected masonh2479. I was checking out TripAdvisor about a week ago, and you are right, there are a flood of negative reviews posted in the last few days including one of the longest negative reviews I've seen from the poor lady who just lost her son. I think TA is credible. I have to admit I am a bit disappointed in the Fairmont from what I read. Maybe you should avoid the Fairmont and go with the W or JW. I hope you have a good time in Austin.
Yeah the Fairmont really needs to fix their staff and fix all their problems. I wouldn’t think the Fairmont execs are too happy that a hotel that is part of their brand is sucking so bad.

I won’t be staying at the Fairmont or any hotel in Austin on Monday, I will just be visiting for the day to check out some of my old stomping grounds. Right now I am in San Antonio for Mother’s Day.

I don’t know if you remember but the last time I visited Austin I was going to be staying at the Fairmont but they were not ready to be open and I stayed at the JW. After seeing all the bad press the Fairmont is getting I am so glad that I stayed at the JW rather than spending a lot of money on a poor experience.

Right now the JW beats the pants off the Fairmont, I found it to be a very nice and quiet hotel with a more than friendly staff. In my opinion it is the more attractive hotel from the inside and out.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 2:10 AM

Shit keeps happening...

There was a SWAT standoff today when a guest who was reportedly armed barricaded himself in a hotel room. It did end quickly and peacefully after SWAT arrived.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:11 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Shit keeps happening...

There was a SWAT standoff today when a guest who was reportedly armed barricaded himself in a hotel room. It did end quickly and peacefully after SWAT arrived.
He was probably upset about the interior decorations.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:54 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Ugh... So now the crown is just plain white, a warm white but white nonetheless. Honestly it doesn't look much different than the light coming from the Windows. I'd rather have it stay blue honestly. Still waiting to see their supposed "special lighting effects" that were boasted about.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:16 PM

Speaking of lighting....the entire Dallas skyline is lit up rainbow for pride month. I wish Austin would do this too! The Fairmont would be perfect for this.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 11:04 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Speaking of lighting....the entire Dallas skyline is lit up rainbow for pride month. I wish Austin would do this too! The Fairmont would be perfect for this.
Nice job Dallas! Jelly!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin