HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Spiral in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 12:41 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Please direct me to where I made a personal attack or criticized anyone in particular;
It was a reference to this:

Quote:
MJM + A is hardly a firm
Is it likely to be the company designing such a tower? Of course not.

But that is not the only incidence, I've seen these personal attacks in other threads. Now, you rarely post here, and when you do it seems to be these personal attacks. It's unseemly, particularly for someone running a blog on these developments.

http://www.mjmacaluso.com/Home.php

Anyway, any confusion between you parties appears to be cleaned up, and we are well past the point of any news here. I'll take my cue from the Chicago Spire thread, and let this rest until there is some.

(edited to include this piece on MJM, architects behind the concept...

http://nyrej.com/70514

Executive of the Month: Macaluso, founder of MJM + A Architects:
Blending the practical with the fantastic to address clients' needs;
Creating beautiful drawings complemented by a "boots on the ground" philosophy

Quote:
New York, NY In 1976, when Michael Macaluso first opened his small architectural firm in a storefront in Queens, he meticulously crafted his business to blend the practical with the fantastic to address the individual needs of his clients. Since its inception, Macaluso has continued to grow his firm in terms of staff, services provided, technology, and client base. Its current iteration, MJM + A Architects, PLLC, includes long-time and trusted colleagues John Scheschareg, Keith Lucas, Ryan Scipione and Frank Szatkowski as partners, with Macaluso performing the duties of managing director. The firm provides design and consulting services in architecture, planning, and interior design, as well as construction administration and project management.

..."Architects are really the psychologists of space, where the interpretation of the third dimension is even more important than a good floor plan," said Macaluso. "I can't design the right space for our clients if I don't truly know them. So at the start of each project, I interview the owner to find out their passions and dreams, as well as their lifestyle and needs. Even something as simple as the time they retire to bed can influence our design. The design team considers all manner of light as a major design tool with sustainability and energy efficiency a primary point of focus Each environment is crafted with the attention of a bespoke suit of clothes. No detail or need is left undone."

Macaluso then translates this information into a design-based solution that incorporates both artistic craftwork and cost value. "Every decision made within the design studio should provide added value to the project. No idea is too inconsequential, no ambition too great. This insight into the techniques, priorities and perspectives of the various personnel in a design project has been one of the most influential factors for success."

...If there was ever a project that combines the practical and the fantastic, it's the proposed Hudson Spire, a 110 story, 1,800 ft. high tower in the new Hudson Yard neighborhood. If built, it would become the tallest building in North America. Macaluso was retained by the property owners to create the conceptual designs that incorporate a combination of upscale restaurants and retailers, office space, three separate high-end hotels, and 25 floors of luxury residences.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," said Macaluso. "As an architect, my job is to interpret the dreams of others. The creative geniuses in our design studio came up with a stunning vision of a vibrant glass structure that literally jumps from its bases and soars to the stars. The composition, color and reflective properties of the glass are varied, with lots of intersecting angles that play off one another so that sunsets and city views look different on one face of the building than others. Hudson Spire would become a focal point, or better yet an exclamation mark, on the Manhattan skyline for years to come."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 26, 2014 at 1:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:11 PM
New Yorker for life

An update from Eveningsong...

http://nypost.com/2014/03/31/white-c...-1221-6th-ave/

By Steve Cuozzo
March 31, 2014

Quote:
Tishman Speyer is the front-runner for a $200 million-plus purchase of a Hudson Yards-area development site, sources said.

The parcel is owned by the Rosenthal family and runs from West 34th to 35th streets, between 10th Avenue and the planned new Hudson Boulevard in the middle of the block.

The sale offering via Massey Knakal was first reported by Crain’s, which also said an adjacent site owned by Sherwood Equities might be sold as well if the Rosenthals found a buyer.

Now, we’re told, the company run by Jerry Speyer and Rob Speyer has both sites in its sights. The Rosenthal piece alone can support a 1.2 million square-foot project as of right.

The area’s extraordinary run-up in values is driven by the thundering success of Related Cos.’ 26-acre project Hudson Yards rail yards project two blocks south.

A Tishman Speyer rep said the company declined to comment.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:43 PM
New Yorker for life

It's still too early to say who will get control of the site.

Some of you may recall Tishman Speyer as the original winner of the Hudson Yards railyard development, a deal that eventually collapsed and led to Related developing the sight...

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...dson-yards-bid
Tishman Speyer wins Hudson Yards bid
Tishman tops rivals with higher offer, says it will develop entire site without partners

Theresa Agovino
March 26, 2008

Quote:
Tishman Speyer raised its bid by over $100 million as negotiations over who would win the bid to develop the Hudson Rail Yards intensified over the last week, finally offering $1.004 billion to edge out three rivals to transform the 26-acre site into an extension of Manhattan’s business district.

“We are obviously thrilled with the outcome,” says Rob Speyer, president of Tishman Speyer, whose voice was horse from days of intense negotiations. “We are life long New Yorkers ….the city is a piece of our soul.

It would be interesting to see what they plan to bring to the table, if they do buy the site. The scheme for their railyard proposal went something like this...

http://www.madgi.com/portfolio/hudson_yards

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:28 PM

I had a dream that something resembling Shanghai Tower was being built at this site. I doubt we'd see tall and curvy in NYC, would probably be 'too expensive' to build.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:30 PM

Hopefully Tishman brings something good to the table! Their previous designs for Hudson Yards don't look too bad, but they're going to have to amp it up!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 7:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Hopefully Tishman brings something good to the table! Their previous designs for Hudson Yards don't look too bad, but they're going to have to amp it up!

I would like to have another player like Tishman ultimately involved in the Hudson Yards. Nothing wrong with what Related is doing (Brookfield neither for that matter). But it takes a variety of players to make the Hudson Yards reflect the essence of New York. We will see what happens, but as I said earlier, this prime piece of property won't stay on the market for a long time.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 8:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
I had a dream that something resembling Shanghai Tower was being built at this site. I doubt we'd see tall and curvy in NYC, would probably be 'too expensive' to build.
Ha!

Seriously though. I would prefer something sharp like Tower Verre in here. Something curvy could also work.

It was also interesting to read on a Curbed blurb that #7 subway line wasn't enough for the area. I should probably post that article...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 8:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Ha!

Seriously though. I would prefer something sharp like Tower Verre in here. Something curvy could also work.

It was also interesting to read on a Curbed blurb that #7 subway line wasn't enough for the area. I should probably post that article...
I personally wish something along the lines of the Jin Mao design wise. I always think of it as China's Empire State Building. With a kick ass crown, and thick base. A design like this or similar would complement the current ESB and Chrysler. I'm hoping a design with a amazing crown.

http://media-3.web.britannica.com/eb...4-1B806A3D.jpg

That crown..... jeez

http://25.media.tumblr.com/rGfRRZlKs...Yx69o1_400.jpg

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 2:40 AM

Omg, i said the same thing "china's ESB"! I would like something with a nod to classic NYC.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 3:16 PM
New Yorker for life

This is in contract, so I'll presume Tishman Speyer will get the sight...

http://www.masseyknakal.com/listings...aspx?lst=22598

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 8:09 PM

interesting well whats the history on them and do we know if their going to build to full potential?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 9:22 PM
DENNAB

C'mon Tishman, build us NY's new tallest

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 10:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

Tishman Spire?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertallchaser View Post
interesting well whats the history on them and do we know if their going to build to full potential?
Their history of proposal in the Hudson Yards area is on the previous page.

As far as who they are, only one of the largest real estate companies. You know about them whether you know it or not.

http://www.tishmanspeyer.com/

What they will build, nobody knows.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:16 AM

One of the biggest real estate companies should build the biggest building in the western hemisphere.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:01 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ld-go-for-100m

By Daniel Geiger
April 14, 2014

Quote:
.....Mr. Knakal, a sales broker who specializes in the Hudson Yards area, is also in the process of selling one of the largest development sites there, a parcel between West 34th and West 35th Street and 10th Avenue and the soon-to-be-completed Hudson Boulevard. Tishman Speyer is buying that site for more than $200 million, according to reports, and possibly a neighboring parcel that would allow for one of the city's largest commercial office towers in the city.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:34 AM

^ I thought is supposed to be residential tower with hotel on lower floors? If it's office then it probably won't be taller that 1200 -1300 ft.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Tishman Spire?
No. The Spishman Tire...you know...to counter that ferris wheel deal on Staten Island.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 12:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
^ I thought is supposed to be residential tower with hotel on lower floors? If it's office then it probably won't be taller that 1200 -1300 ft.
Nobody knows what it's going to be, Tishman hasn't made any statements.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 3:46 AM

Tishman Speyer Buys Manhattan Site for $438 Million

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...453493756.html
Quote:
Tishman Speyer has paid $438 million for a development site on Manhattan's far West Side in the latest sign of a land rush that has pushed the value of New York properties into the stratosphere.

The firm, controlled by the father-and-son team of Jerry and Rob Speyer, plans to build a 2.8-million-square-foot office tower on the site, which occupies a full block near several other huge projects that are under way.

"We think we're entering the sweet spot of office development in New York," said Rob Speyer.

The site—on 10th Ave. between West 34th St. and West 35th St.—consists of two separate parcels and currently is populated by parking lots and older, low-rise buildings. One parcel was owned by Sherwood Equities, the other by New York's Rosenthal family.

The deal, which closed Tuesday, is the most significant New York transaction by Tishman Speyer since the economic downturn. During the recovery the firm has been investing in California and Chicago in the U.S., and in Europe, Brazil and China.

Tishman Speyer is joining a group of developers who believe the New York office market is turning a corner after experiencing relatively slow growth in rents and occupancies during the recovery. About 3.6 million square feet of new office space was added 2013 compared with zero in 2012, according to the brokerage Cushman & Wakefield.

Over the next five years, builders are expected to add 17.2 million square feet. "New York needs more office space," Rob Speyer said. "There's a scarcity of large blocks of space that's going to be more pronounced in years ahead."

But debt financing for new development is still difficult to obtain from conventional sources, especially for so-called "speculative" buildings that aren't preleased. Rob Speyer said that Tishman Speyer plans to find a major tenant before it starts building.

This push to build new office space has helped drive up land values. Sherwood bought its parcel for $8 million in 1986, and has invested only a few hundred thousand dollars in the properties since then, according to Jeffrey Katz, Sherwood's president.

Tishman Speyer is paying $200 million for that property. "This is one of the hottest markets for land I can remember. I've never seen an acceleration of price so fast," Mr. Katz said.

Manhattan's far West Side is especially hot right now because of the massive Hudson Yards development and the city's extension of the No. 7 subway line, which is scheduled to open in the neighborhood this year.

Related Cos.' $15 billion Hudson Yards project is beginning to take shape just south of the Tishman Speyer site. Construction of the first tower, which is being anchored by Coach Inc., COH -9.34% is under way and scheduled to be completed in 2015. Earlier this year, Time Warner Inc. TWX -0.52% announced plans to move its headquarters to Hudson Yards.

Also nearby, Brookfield Properties BPO.T -0.23% has plans for $4.5 billion worth of development, including two office buildings, an apartment building and parks.

In addition, former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer's real-estate company late last year paid $88 million for a vacant property in the Hudson Yards area. And in September, Sherwood and a partner sold a development site at 10th Ave. and West 30th St. for $167 million, to developer Frank McCourt, who is planning a mixed-use tower. The price was three times what they paid for the site in 2011.

Tishman Speyer has considered building in the area before. In 2008, the firm struck a deal with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to buy the 26-acre Hudson Yards site. But the deal fell apart as the economy weakened. Related was selected as the project's developer later that year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive