HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 12:09 PM
Puyo!

Vancouver | Arnada Commons | x | 5 floors | Approved

I've heard that it should be already underconstruction last summer, but I am not sure if it is underconstruction right now.

(I copied from other member's post from other thread to make the building to have its own thread, hope you don't mind! )

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 12:11 PM
Puyo!

Vancouver | Prestige Plaza | x | 6 floors | Proposed

http://www.prestigedev.com/PrestigeP...stigePlaza.htm

Council to consider sale of old police building

Friday, April 20, 2007
BY JEFFREY MIZE Columbian staff writer

Developer wants to buy it, replace it with office, residential plaza

A six-story building could rise where the Vancouver Police Department once had its headquarters and city jail.

Elie Kassab, president and chief executive officer of Prestige Development, wants to buy the property at 300 E. 13th St., demolish the old police station and build Prestige Plaza. The project would have five floors of office space, each with 20,000 square feet, five condominiums on the top floor and 149 underground parking spaces.

The city council will be asked to approve an agreement Monday night to sell the property for $200,000.

In November, PGP Valuation Inc. appraised the property at $170,000. If the city cleared the site and removed hazardous materials, such as asbestos tiles and lead-based paint, the property would be worth $600,000, the appraiser concluded.

However, a city report says demolition would cost $520,000 to $830,000 and possibly more, depending on what was found during site clearing.

“It is a terrible building,” said Steve Burdick, the city’s economic development manager. “It has no windows. It’s all chopped up, and it has an old jail in the basement.”

The half-block Kassab wants to buy from the city is located on the same block as the iconic Burgerville on the south side of Mill Plain Boulevard, near the entrance into downtown.

Kassab said he still might purchase the Burgerville site, but he intends to build Prestige Plaza even if Burgerville remains.

“I love their burgers, but they don’t have any (indoor) seating and they don’t have a drive-through, so that facility is a little dated,” he said.

Last fall, Kassab paid $150,000 for one-eighth of the block, the southeast corner of Mill Plain and C Street, where Burgerville currently offers outdoor seating.

Kassab said he intends to move his company’s offices to Prestige Plaza. He said he is talking to three banks, which he declined to name, that could occupy the building’s bottom floor.
One of the banks, he said, is interested in two floors.

“I believe there is a demand,” he said. “We have fairly strong interest in over 50 percent of the project.”

Kassab also doesn’t expect to have trouble finding buyers for the condos.

“I am going to be living in one of them,” he said. “I can actually sell them all myself because they are going to have very good-sized decks, and they are going to have very nice amenities. … They are going to be priced reasonably, and they are going to be tailored to the lifestyle of urban living where people are going to be able to entertain.”

Kassab would like to begin construction in April 2008, which coincides with the deadline for the city to vacate the old police station, provided the council approves the sale Monday night.

Several years ago, the police department moved its administrative headquarters to the former Washington State Patrol building at the west end of Officers Row and dispersed other operations to its central and east precincts.

In recent years, the police department has used the 13th Street building for evidence storage. The city last month submitted plans to build a 14,600-square-foot evidence center, with 16,000 square feet of secured outdoor storage, at 2325 W. Mill Plain Blvd.

Burdick said the city is under no legal responsibility to put the former police headquarters on the market.

The city sought formal proposals for a portion of the old Lucky Lager Brewery site, along the north side of Esther Short Park, before selling the cleared property to the Al Angelo Co., which built the Heritage Place condominiums.

For the portion of the brewery property along the east side of Esther Short Park, the city negotiated a sale with Otak Inc., which built Vancouvercenter on the property.

Vancouver is using a broker to sell the Citizens Service Center, which the city is vacating because of seismic weaknesses that would require expensive upgrades.

“We can sell property however we think the net benefit to the city is the greatest,” Burdick said.

Jeffrey Mize covers Vancouver city government. He can be reached at 360-759-8006 or by e-mail at jeff.mize@columbian.com.

http://www.columbian.com/news/localN...news129645.cfm

(I copied from other member's post from other thread to make the building to have its own thread, hope you don't mind! )

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 12:19 PM
Puyo!

Vancouver | 703 Broadway Condos | 140? feet | 11 floors | Proposed

11-story condominium building proposed for downtown Vancouver
Posted by The Oregonian April 25, 2007 17:58PM
Categories: Clark County

VANCOUVER -- An 11-story condominium would be built over an existing four-story parking structure downtown under plans submitted to the city.

The 123- to 126-unit structure would be built at 703 Broadway St.

703 Broadway Condos, as the project is named, would include studio spaces, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units.

A three-story office building already sits atop the fourth level of the parking garage. The new condominiums would be added on the eastern half of the upper parking deck, according to the plans.

The ground level would include a lobby that would serve the residential building and the parking garage. The fourth level of the proposed new structure would include new meeting rooms, a lounge area, an exercise room, a swimming pool, private patios and storage.

Neither the owner, 703 Broadway Vancouver LLC, with mailing addresses in Vancouver and Hermosa Beach, Calif., nor project architect, Myhre Group Architects of Portland, could be reached Wednesday evening.

A conference with city officials to discuss the project has been scheduled for May 17.

Allan Brettman: allanbrettman@news.oregonian.com

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 1:11 PM

wow nice job

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 4:16 PM

Office-condos to adorn riverfront

Saturday, October 06, 2007
BY CAMI JONER, Columbian staff writer

Vancouver's C.E. John Co. has announced plans to build a $5 million office-condominium project on a prime waterfront property upriver from Beaches Restaurant & Bar.

It looks like construction on the two-story project will start later this month, despite earlier proposals that have fallen through.

C.E. John, a private real estate investment and development company, had originally pegged the Columbia River site for a five-story project with underground parking, a design that drew some negative feedback from neighbors.

"The smaller building has a much more complementary feel for nearby businesses, residents and restaurant guests," said David Arredondo, vice president of development.

Called Two-Thousand-One for its address between Beaches and the Meriwether Condominiums, the 22,540-square-foot building will include four 5,000-square-foot office-condo spaces priced at approximately $2.75 million each. Arredondo said one condo space has been sold.

"They all have views of the river," Arredondo said, an amenity he expects will attract "businesses that have a certain threshold for image."

Priced at more than $550 per square foot, the office condos are more than double the price of similar space in suburban areas of Vancouver, said Byron Roselli, a vice president with Eric Fuller & Associates real estate firm in Vancouver.

"It (the waterfront site) will obviously be a very strong image location," Roselli said.

The C.E. John Co.'s affiliated construction company, James E. John Construction Co., will be general contractor for the project, designed by Gary Rommel of Rommel Architectural Partnership in Portland. C.E. John plans to use green-building LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design standards) construction practices on the project.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 4:57 PM

Along which street(s) is the proposed MAX line going to travel? I'm wondering whether developments might take off along there, and pick-up as time progresses. Also, what is the general height limit in downtown Vancouver? I've read some things but am uncertain as to where it stands (or lays or sits or hovers or whatever). Lastly, is there any possibility of downtown Vancouver expanding further north? I'm curious! Demanding minds demand to know!

Last edited by Snowden352; Oct 8, 2007 at 4:57 PM. Reason: there's a space missing or call it bad grammar.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuyoPiyo View Post
Please correct me or even this map if you find any mistakes. Also if you know any more of the project proposed, let me know so that I can add to this map.
Great map. Using your map, I put in a couple of other projects that I could think of...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowden352 View Post
Along which street(s) is the proposed MAX line going to travel? I'm wondering whether developments might take off along there, and pick-up as time progresses. Also, what is the general height limit in downtown Vancouver? I've read some things but am uncertain as to where it stands (or lays or sits or hovers or whatever). Lastly, is there any possibility of downtown Vancouver expanding further north? I'm curious! Demanding minds demand to know!
I believe the last we heard for MAX is that it would travel up Main and then return South along Washington.

The general height limit is 250' towards the top of the hill (around 12th st). As you go South the height limit is limited by the FAA in conjunction with Pearson Air Park.

As far as your last question, I think upper main area would be a great place for mid-rise condos above retail. There has only been one such project so far, up near Fourth Plain and Main.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 12:27 AM
Puyo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall5505 View Post
wow nice job
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouvScott View Post
Great map. Using your map, I put in a couple of other projects that I could think of...
Ohh wonderful! Thank you I am sure this map can help us to remember which building is planned on.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Here's the latest from the Columbian as of 10/9/07:

The project's mass transit component won't be built on a Washington Street/Main Street couplet or on a Washington Street/Columbia Street couplet. A Washington Street/Broadway couplet south of McLoughlin Boulevard will be considered for downtown Vancouver, although another route along the east side of Interstate 5 is still under consideration.

http://columbian.com/news/localNews/...ridge-axed.cfm

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 12:31 AM

can anyone confirm construction?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 12:33 AM

any new pics couvscott? its completed right?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 1:47 PM

Quote:
any new pics couvscott? its completed right?
It is complete. I will have to take some pics next time I drive by it. Here is one from their website...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 2:34 PM
Puyo!

Vancouver | The Luxe | x | 6 floors | Approved

The Luxe

More pictures in the link.

http://www.prestigedev.com/TheLuxe.html

Quote:
The Luxe Building located at 412 East 13th Street
Vancouver, Washington is scheduled for construction in Fall of 2007.
As far as it haven't start the construction yet so I just leave it as "approved".

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 2:56 PM

Sort of a faux Victorian... hotel?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 4:22 PM

Nice find PuyoPiyo.

A faux victorian hotel look... except it is an office/retail/residential building.

It definitely looks better than that suburban office park building he is going to build one block to the West.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 7:10 PM
Puyo!

Quote:
Sort of a faux Victorian... hotel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouvScott View Post
Nice find PuyoPiyo.

A faux victorian hotel look... except it is an office/retail/residential building.

It definitely looks better than that suburban office park building he is going to build one block to the West.
lol I didn't know what the "Faux Victorian Hotel" look like..

And thanks, Couvscott Yeah I agree with you, this look alot better than the other one across the block.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 5:21 AM
Puyo!

Here's the latest news from the CVTV about the Riverwest Project (Click on the first one, at the dated 10-15-07)

http://www.cityofvancouver.us/cvtv/c...ioset=archives

I can't understand the video due to my deafness though, but I notice there's a word "Approval", isn't it approved? What does the latest video about Riverwest Project in CVTV actually was talking about?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:53 AM
Puyo!

Quote:
can anyone confirm construction?
I found a nice PDF for the Arnada Commons, here the link is.

http://www.portlandcre.com/pdf/ArnadaCommons.pdf

According to my link, it was already obtained the approval by the City.

Quote:
Completed site approval was obtained from the City in June and the project is ready to proceed with construction documents.
That quote was from the first paragraph from the PDF link.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 5:29 PM
Puyo!

Downtown condo owners cry foul

Downtown condo owners cry foul

Wednesday, October 24, 2007
BY JONATHAN NELSON, Columbian staff writer

The first residents of Heritage Place condominiums were pioneers to downtown Vancouver's urban reawakening.

The city lifestyle, with its proximity to Esther Short Park and Vancouver Farmers Market, has lost its charm for some Heritage Place residents, however. They now say the two brick buildings were erected with shoddy construction.

The Heritage Place Condominium Association is suing developer Heritage Place LLC and Craig E. Angelo, a managing partner of the company. The amended suit, filed Oct. 9 in Clark County, also alleges Angelo withheld information regarding the defects, improperly retained control of the homeowners association board and blocked an effort by residents to investigate the quality of the construction.

Angelo was traveling Tuesday and couldn't be reached for comment, but the company released this statement:

"We just received the lawsuit. We are reviewing the allegations, and we have some concerns about their accuracy. We still own 17 percent of the residential units, plus all of the commercial space, and it would be contrary to our family's interest to let the building run down. We take claims like these very seriously and will work toward a resolution."

Anthony Rafel of the Seattle law firm Rafel Law Group represents the association and said the group has received reports from a waterproofing expert and mechanical engineer. He said that issue was given to Angelo in an attempt to reach a resolution, but Angelo flatly rejected that attempt.

Rafel said there is no estimate on repair costs.

Heritage Place bloomed in 2000, one of many downtown projects that signaled a new era in downtown. It also carried a familiar name - Al Angelo, former Vancouver mayor and notable developer.

A litany of problems

The Al Angelo Co. built the $25 million, 137-unit Heritage Place. The two buildings, with a brick facade, combined condominiums on the top floors and retail on the ground level.

Now, seven years later, the lawsuit lists a litany of problems that include:

- Defective vinyl windows that were improperly installed.

- A leaky roof.

- Dryer ventilation and kitchen exhaust fans that don't meet state standards.

- Plumbing problems that include backup of sewage in units and in kitchen garbage disposals.

- Leaks from overhead walkways.

- Doors on the second floor that don't remain closed and are driven open by the wind.

- Brick cutouts in window sills that lack the minimum slope.

In November 2004, a recommendation was made to the association board to investigate the quality of Heritage Place's construction, the suit said. Angelo, in an April 2005 letter to the board, said the design and construction was "second to none" and "there simply was no stone left unturned in assuring a well-constructed project."

Jonathan Nelson can be reached at 360-759-8013 or via e-mail at jonathan.nelson@columbian.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon