HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Amanda Burden is just trying to cover up her poor decision to chop 200 feet off this tower because her boss was in a re-election campaign.
I'm no Burden fan, but that's just ridiculous. You really think Tower Verre was a mayoral campaign issue? LOL

Burden is undoubtedly swayed by the influential NIMBY wackos, but I don't think it has anything to do with mayoral elections. Folks in Bay Ridge or wherever care about garbage being picked up and students being educated, not the height of some random building in Midtown.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'm no Burden fan, but that's just ridiculous. You really think Tower Verre was a mayoral campaign issue? LOL

Burden is undoubtedly swayed by the influential NIMBY wackos, but I don't think it has anything to do with mayoral elections. Folks in Bay Ridge or wherever care about garbage being picked up and students being educated, not the height of some random building in Midtown.
I believe that she chopped off those 200 ft to gain support from the Nimbys.

P.S Bay Ridge for the win

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 12:25 PM
Ω

Amanda Burden is very good at what she does. This was one bad decision. I think you should research what she has done for the city before you guys call her a "stupid broad".

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 12:38 PM
BANNED

I'm very happy with the redesign. I hold no grudge against Burden. In fact, she's a smokin' MILF.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
I think you should research what she has done for the city before you guys call her a "stupid broad".
What has she done for the city?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 5:22 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What has she done for the city?
You have some reading to do. Aside from this case, I too think she has done a lot of good for the city. I can’t help but think she was strong-armed into making the decision she did for this tower; however as long as she’s advocating it now, that’s fine by me.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Then you haven't been following the story. Go re-read around page 47 in this thread and you'll know that this tower (among others) were all on the chopping block for Burden right during the last hours of Bloomberg's 2009 re-election campaign (which he won by the skin of his teeth). Here's a little help for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...-amanda-burden

The Week of Amanda Burden

The giant wave of end–of–second–Bloomberg-term land-use approvals is making its way to the halls of 22 Reade Street, as the Department of City Planning, led by the powerful Amanda Burden, is tackling a mass of major planned developments this week.

Here’s a quick rundown of what's on tap:

Jean Nouvel/MoMA/Hines 53rd Street Tower — The planned 1,250-foot tower, designed by Pritzker Prize winner Jean Nouvel, is up for a vote before the City Planning Commission on Wednesday. Here in the process Ms. Burden can—and has been known to—change the shape and/or height of projects. (Recently, she changed the design, and lobbed a story off, of David and Jed Walentas’ Dock Street building in Dumbo.) Will she feel the need to adjust the famous Frenchman’s design?

By Eliot Brown
September 7, 2009

Tomorrow is the big day for City Planning approval...
Quote:
Must be a joke...
http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...99s-moma-tower

Amanda Burden to Chop 200 Feet Off Nouvel’s MoMA Tower

By Eliot Brown
September 8, 2009

“The commission notes that the proposed design of the building is exemplary and that the building … would be a strong addition to the city and its architecture.

However the commission believes that the applicant has not made a convincing argument that the design of the tower’s top, with the uppermost 200 feet of the building, merits being in the zone of the Empire State Building’s iconic spire, making the building the second tallest building in New York City.

“It appears that less attention has been paid to this portion of the building, … in particular the commission is not satisfied with attempts at incorporation mechanical equipment into the tower top, which results in a tower top with a highly visible mechanical equipment.”

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I'm very happy with the redesign. I hold no grudge against Burden. In fact, she's a smokin' MILF.
There's lots of beautiful women in this city, no need to give one power who makes arbitrary and questionable decisions just because she's a "milf".

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 8:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
How dare she have the audacity to praise it after chopping off a sixth of the building? It's still the same design, except for less height.
It's as ridiculous for her to praise the building now as it was for her to praise the building and then chop 200 ft off the height because of "problems" with the design. Whatever problems were resolved with the design at 1,050 ft could have been done at 1,250 ft. It's virtually the same building, and the earlier design was praised by the CPC so much that it was pretty much locked into place. In other words, no other tower could be built. So why then would she come out to praise the tower? Only to gloss over what was a dumb decision by the CPC. There's no way to get around that, because while the complaint was that this tower wasn't "worthy" of being in the Empire State's airspace, there are towers just as tall - and closer to the ESB - that are less than impressive, as far as the top goes. It comes down to somebody wanted that height cut. Bloomberg? Maybe. I doubt Amanda herself had issues with the height. The true story may never come out, but the question remains. If the building had to go back to the drawing board to gain approval anyway, why not just get the top redesigned for approval if that was the only issue?

Meanwhile, get ready for the west side clunkers that could change Midtown's skyline the way the original WTC changed Downtown's.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 9:55 PM

I hate the assumption that the Empire State Building should dominate Midtown. Midtown in the 1920's and 1930's was full of proposed skyscrapers reaching heights near the ESB's. In fact the Metropolitan Life North Building was supposed to be even taller then the ESB. The fact was in the past Midtown was full of skyscrapers. What makes it so different that skyscrapers taller then the ESB is going up in Midtown? Midtown is supposed to have tall skyscrapers. Imagine if someone said to the builders of the ESB that they can't build the ESB in 1929, because it was too tall, and it would ruin the Chrysler Building. What the hell mentality is that? Face it, today's generation is way too stupid.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Meanwhile, get ready for the west side clunkers that could change Midtown's skyline the way the original WTC changed Downtown's.
I'm pumped about 5-6 supertalls going up over there, but we still need a signature tower. I want Trump to build the world's tallest over there.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loqy Lion View Post
I'm pumped about 5-6 supertalls going up over there, but we still need a signature tower. I want Trump to build the world's tallest over there.
in all honesty i dont think that would be that great..a 3000 foot tower in NYC? that would just throw off the skyline imo. Tower like this one and up to 2000 ft max are perfect for NYC.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...9/burj-nyc.jpg

http://harryallen.info/wp-content/up...6/screen22.jpg

http://www.sa30di.com/vb/imgcache/2020.imgcache

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
You have some reading to do.
Actually I am well aware of what she has done. I just want to hear it either from you or Zerton on what she has done.

I am not asking for a 10 page dissertation, I just need a brief synopsis of her major accomplishments for this city that you claim.

Quote:
Aside from this case, I too think she has done a lot of good for the city.
You keep on saying that but name a few of the good thing that she has done. Thank you.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:49 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I hate the assumption that the Empire State Building should dominate Midtown. Midtown in the 1920's and 1930's was full of proposed skyscrapers reaching heights near the ESB's. In fact the Metropolitan Life North Building was supposed to be even taller then the ESB. The fact was in the past Midtown was full of skyscrapers. What makes it so different that skyscrapers taller then the ESB is going up in Midtown? Midtown is supposed to have tall skyscrapers. Imagine if someone said to the builders of the ESB that they can't build the ESB in 1929, because it was too tall, and it would ruin the Chrysler Building. What the hell mentality is that? Face it, today's generation is way too stupid.
I agree. I like the Empire State Building,and it should still dominate in Midtown,but we need to continue making ground breaking height in New York. Downtown barely has space other than the WTC and Battery Park City,so Midtown is the only other place to make supertalls.

And everyone,watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9MXt...t=HL1313544496" target="_blank">Video Link

New York isn't like Washington D.C. ESB is not a monument in the same sense.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:55 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
in all honesty i dont think that would be that great..a 3000 foot tower in NYC? that would just throw off the skyline imo. Tower like this one and up to 2000 ft max are perfect for NYC.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...9/burj-nyc.jpg

http://harryallen.info/wp-content/up...6/screen22.jpg

http://www.sa30di.com/vb/imgcache/2020.imgcache
Yeah,I don't think the world's tallest building is worth it anymore.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 2:58 AM

Why does New York need the world's tallest building? The tallest building in the world are almost all empty. They were built to only make themselves look good.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 2:01 PM
NYC to LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Imagine if someone said to the builders of the ESB that they can't build the ESB in 1929, because it was too tall, and it would ruin the Chrysler Building. What the hell mentality is that? Face it, today's generation is way too stupid.
You my friend deserve a for that..The best thing someone said around here for a while..

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 5:33 PM

And once again.........

All this bickering has what possible bearing on something like...maybe...

the pending topic thread???

I don't care about throwing stones at a person for what will ultimately get built. The point is that TV will get built at over 1000', creating a new plateau, one of at least three more to come *not* on the West Side.

That's what's worth talking about.

There...I've said it.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 6:06 PM
World Machine

Quote:
I just need a brief synopsis of her major accomplishments for this city that you claim.
I’m mostly fond of her contributions to the development and planning of Battery Park City and its waterfront; one of my favorite locations in the city. She’s also served a key role in the revitalization of Lower Manhattan (outside of BPC) as well as several waterfront locations throughout the city.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 9:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Actually I am well aware of what she has done. I just want to hear it either from you or Zerton on what she has done.
Amanda Burden and the CPC has done a lot during her reign, and depending on who you talk to, she's either destroyed it or helped the city become a better place.
But that's all irrelevant. The bottom line is that what she's done here makes no sense, and can't really be justified.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive