HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 1:51 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Slabtown (formerly Conway) Developments

Pre-application conference for the enormous Conway plots:

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...47126&a=358638

They appear to be master planning the site, I guess. 15.62 acres.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 2:47 AM
momentum

Good news indeed!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 5:04 AM

more about conway here. somewhere, can't find it now of course, i ran across a pdf showing a few different scenarios for development of the conway properties. i'm pretty sure it was on the nwda web site, for anyone who wants to go digging. in any case, what i remember from it was a plan to create a sort of park block area for three blocks to the south of conway's 5-story building (20th-21st between savier and thurman). this would be surrounded by housing, etc. sorry, it's vague, i know.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 4:56 AM

http://djcoregon.com/news/2011/08/26...is-pared-down/

New Northwest Portland neighborhood more feasible after master plan is pared down

POSTED: Friday, August 26, 2011 at 02:04 PM PT
BY: Nick Bjork

When the 16-acre Con-way site in Northwest Portland is finally developed, there may not be any canals and gondolas, as envisioned previously. But the property owner and city employees are nevertheless excited about the potential for what could be Portland’s next new neighborhood.

A project team working on redevelopment of the site – a swath of land that mostly consists of surface parking – met with city officials on Thursday to seek guidance as it develops a new master plan. The team believes the pared-down version is feasible, and that development could move ahead by the beginning of next year.

more

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 2:28 AM

Considering the Con-way plots are some of the most valuable, underdeveloped, central city lots, I wish they'd wait until these lots can be developed to their full potential. This is a project that needs to be scaled to accommodate the growth that will come over decades. Just like the west Pearl and much of South Waterfront, we need these wastelands developed to the highest livable densities so we don't have to demolish historic inner-city neighborhoods to accommodate growth.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 4:17 AM

OTOH, the more of these "easy" lots they build on now, the more pressure there will be on empty parking lots to be redeveloped.

The article mentions an unnamed grocery store. That's fantastic news for those of us who live Thurmanward in NW.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
OTOH, the more of these "easy" lots they build on now, the more pressure there will be on empty parking lots to be redeveloped.

The article mentions an unnamed grocery store. That's fantastic news for those of us who live Thurmanward in NW.
The only thing that scares me about 'unnamed grocery stores' is that the chain that is really pushing to get into town is Wal-mart. Luckily it is their smaller 'neighborhood' food stores, but I still am not a fan. I know they have gotten better over the years. I guess I just hold grudges!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 7:05 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I think there's zero chance it could become a Walmart. Too many of us would fight it too vigorously.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 9:24 PM

BVPCVM- Do you live on Thurman?

As for the Walmart suggestion, the master plan said the potential grocer would rehab an existing defunct warehouse building...has Walmart EVER taken over an old warehouse building? Maybe Target is having second thoughts on the Galleria location... We know it obviously will not be a Safeway, Fredy Meyer, Zupans, Trader Joes. I would like to think New Seasons could be eyeing the location based on their unprecedented growth in the metro.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
BVPCVM- Do you live on Thurman?

As for the Walmart suggestion, the master plan said the potential grocer would rehab an existing defunct warehouse building...has Walmart EVER taken over an old warehouse building? Maybe Target is having second thoughts on the Galleria location... We know it obviously will not be a Safeway, Fredy Meyer, Zupans, Trader Joes. I would like to think New Seasons could be eyeing the location based on their unprecedented growth in the metro.
I live within a block or two of Thurman.

Actually, not to defend WalMart, but they are supposedly rehabbing an old grocery store in Lake Oswego (and i think one other in the metro area).

But yeah, I suspect New Seasons.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 1:44 AM

The Galleria is going through design review Okstate, I'm optimistic about that project.

I'd put my money on New Seasons, I wouldn't rule out Zupans. (RIP Mr. Zupan)

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 6:27 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

RIP Mr. Zupan, indeed. What a sad story that is.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 6:52 PM

BVPCVM- I live on Thurman is the reason I asked. Also, the rehabbed LO grocery store is going to be a Zupans I thought?

Mark-There is a Zupans less than a mile from 21st and Quimby..I highly doubt they would throw up another market so close.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 10:51 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
As for the Walmart suggestion, the master plan said the potential grocer would rehab an existing defunct warehouse building...has Walmart EVER taken over an old warehouse building?
YES:

http://www.beavertonvalleytimes.com/...83467507125100

Also, they are planning on opening 17 new stores in Portland (metro), possibly including one on SE Belmont:

http://www.gotsumma.com/2011/05/04/w...ortland-metro/

http://urbanworks.typepad.com/urbanw...rban+Retail%29

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:36 AM

N Williams...holy shit. What a disaster that would be. I hope they're not looking at the same sit at Fremont that New Seasons and Trader Joe's were rumored to be looking at.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 10:41 AM

Is there a Conway thread somewhere? Definitely an interesting plan; curious to see how much of it gets built.

Con-way developers face some concerns, some opportunities with higher density

POSTED: Friday, December 2, 2011 at 03:36 PM PT
BY: Angela Webber, DJC

The Con-way trucking company is rolling along toward development of 16 acres in Northwest Portland.

At a design commission meeting last week, representatives from GBD Architects and Spencer Consultants presented their updated plans. Consultants say that the multiuse development will include housing, office and neighborhood-service retail spaces.

The team is looking into the possibility of an ambitious district heating and cooling system, and is planning for projects with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design ratings. One big concern, however, about the high-density development is whether it will leave enough parking in the district, where a large parking lot is slated to be replaced by tall buildings.

Con-way is creating its own development framework through a new Northwest Master Plan process that includes a design review process and density requirements. Con-way is not planning to develop buildings itself, but rather forge agreements with individual developers for different projects on the site.

“We’re happy to report that currently there is a lot of interest in the property,” GBD Architects President Phil Beyl told the design commission on Thursday.

The company is choosing to use much of the city’s existing code, with some exceptions to allow taller buildings – up to 150 feet – in some locations.

The Con-way team brought preliminary guidelines to last week’s meeting, and shared its estimates for the district’s makeup. Developers will determine the final composition, but the team estimated that the district will include: 1,100-1,500 residential units; 368,000 square feet of office space; and 144,000 square feet of retail space. That represents about 1.9 million square feet of new development on the site using the proposed 3:1 floor area ratio.

The Con-way team said that the project will be self-contained, with just enough retail to serve the people who live and work nearby. They plan to cap the amount of retail allowed at approximately 150,000 square feet and allow only neighborhood-service retail, said John Spencer of Spencer Consultants. Some people had expressed concerns that the new neighborhood could include “destination retail” companies able to sap business from other areas of the city.

The first project, and the only one officially announced, will be renovation of an existing warehouse building to suit a 40,000-square-foot grocery store. The project will need a special consideration in the master plan, because it will be a low-density, one-story project in an area projected to be denser.

Beyl said the grocery store building would eventually be torn down and replaced with a higher-density project, but would be a “catalytic” step for the development.

But Northwest District Association member John Bradley said, “I doubt that the grocery store will ever be torn down.”

Beyl in fact admitted that the grocery store would likely remain in the area for 20 years, after design commissioner David Wark asked what would motivate a grocer to leave a successful area.

Bradley added that the Northwest District Association is concerned that the grocery store could be OK’d without a requirement for new underground parking. Presently, the 16-acre area includes a large lot with more than 1,000 parking stalls for employees who work at Con-way’s offices. Construction of underground parking would cost approximately $45 million – an amount that Con-way doesn’t expect to be able to afford on its own. It’s hoping to work with developers to build underground parking as part of new projects.

The issue is complicated somewhat by the fact that the site is no longer slated to be in an urban renewal area – a fact, along with economic factors, that caused the entire master plan to be scaled down.

The team told design commissioners that it was considering whether to implement its own tax-increment system to pay for parking, pedestrian plazas and parks. Other projects that would have received urban renewal money, such as affordable housing, face greater uncertainty.

However, Beyl touted the sustainable opportunities in the district. The Con-way team is looking for projects able to meet LEED for New Development rating standards, and is hoping to re-route the streetcar through the neighborhood and add bike lanes to promote multi-modal travel. Also, an eco-district plan is on the table.

“Discussions suggest that we have large enough density that it may pan out,” Beyl said. “(A central heating and cooling plant) will ultimately be an integral part of the project.”

At Thursday’s meeting, commissioners and residents asked how the new development will impact the area’s crowded Chapman elementary school and Multnomah County Library location, and whether a new community center could be included. Beyl said that Con-way is working with the Northwest District Association on those issues, but noted that desires will need to be balanced with Con-way’s business needs.

“Con-way is a publicly-traded company, so the project needs to show a benefit for shareholders,” Beyl said.

The Con-way master plan, including the company’s guidelines and goals, will be reviewed by a city hearings officer. The Con-way team expects to submit its application next month; the review process may require a couple of months.

The first phase of work is planned to result in the grocery store and residential development, Beyl said. The team expects office development on the northernmost blocks of the property to occur last.

“The market is there right now, but we don’t want the opportunity to pass by,” Beyl said.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 10:50 AM

I really hope that ConWay can build something better than those empty parking lots on that site. It's such a great location with so much nothing.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:05 PM
PearlHelp.com

NW Portland Con-Way Development

Con-Way moving ahead with redevelopment of 15 acres in Northwest Portland

Con-way Inc. is proceeding with at redevelopment plan four years in the making that would turn its quiet, 15-acre Northwest Portland property into a bustling destination likened to the Pearl District.

The plan aims to bring housing, retail, offices, a grocery store and a streetcar extension to the Northwest District lot.

Ground has been broken for a 170-unit apartment complex, and neighborhood leaders estimate the project could get into full swing sometime this year. And Con-way officials said they are making progress on having the plan approved by the city.

“It’ll really add a lot of vibrancy to the north end of 23rd (Avenue),” said Craig Boretz, vice president of corporate development for Con-way.

Work on the plan began in 2008, when Con-way introduced the redevelopment idea. Not long after, the sour economy forced the trucking company to table it. Then, in late 2010, it picked it up again, and the current plan has retained many of the original ideas.

The area to be redeveloped is roughly bounded by Northwest Thurman Avenue to the north, 22nd Avenue to the west, Pettygrove to the south and zig-zags from 20th Avenue to 19th Avenue on the eastern side.

The development would primarily include apartment buildings with retail ground floors and space for offices and commercial business. Boretz said Con-way, which has been in the neighborhood for 80 years, is creating the plan so it can be involved in what is built on and around its property.

“We have an interest in making sure what gets built around us is kind of compatible,” he said. “We want to have some say.”

Getting the details
The Urban Land Institute, a nonprofit that provides land use support, is holding a public meeting to share details about Con-way's redevelopment plan. Representatives from the Northwest District Association, Con-way, GBD Architects and Mill Creek Residential Trust will hold a presentation and be on hand to answer questions.
When: 4:30 to 6 p.m. on Feb. 1
Where: Lucky Lab Beer Hall, 1945 N.W. Quimby St. in the Northwest District
Cost: $5 for Urban Land Institute members; $10 for non-members
To register, go to the Urban Land Institute website.
The plan would dictate to developers what they can and cannot do, including height restrictions and what construction materials are allowed. Officials want the buildings to be LEED-certified, as well.

In addition, Con-way hopes to entice the Portland Streetcar into extending service to the new district, as well. The plan calls for underground parking for buildings that go up in the area, which would help alleviate parking congestion in a neighborhood already fraught with space issues.

“For the existing neighborhood it’s hard to find off-street parking, but over there, it’s basically a blank slate,” said Ron Walters, president of the Northwest District Association, a neighborhood coalition.

Walters said the association has been involved in the process from the beginning, and five representatives from the NWDA met almost weekly with Con-way throughout 2011 to discuss the plan.

“While we don’t agree on everything, there’s a high degree of collaboration early on,” Walters said. “I think there will be less contentious issues when it comes to building a building.”

Even though the Con-way’s plan isn’t finalized, one developer has purchased two parking lots and broken ground on Northwest Savier Street for the 170-unit apartment complex with retail space planned for the bottom floor. Another developer has committed to another property with the intention of opening a grocery store in a vacant warehouse.

Meanwhile, the redevelopment plan is undergoing a series of design advice requests, which allows Portland’s Design Committee to give feedback to Con-way and GBD Architects, the architectural firm working on the project.

“Ultimately, we hope to have something that would be approved by the hearings officer and City Council,” Boretz said. “Once we have the master plan in place, we can explain to developers what we have.” 

via: OregonLive.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:07 PM
PearlHelp.com

I figured this needs its own thread. I believe previously everyone has been posting under Northwest Portland News, and with construction ramping up I'm sure lots of photos will be posted.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilo Rune 96 View Post
I figured this needs its own thread. I believe previously everyone has been posting under Northwest Portland News, and with construction ramping up I'm sure lots of photos will be posted.

You made the right call.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland