HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
unless they find a bird nest with eggs in it in one of those trees, that would easily add 4 more months to the delay...

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 10:16 PM

^lmao

Old Posted Sep 1, 2012, 6:09 AM

Quick walk-through video on City of Austin website if y'all haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbKzh...yer_embedded#!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2012, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillehorn View Post
Quick walk-through video on City of Austin website if y'all haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbKzh...yer_embedded#!
WOW! That is amazing. I wish we could get a better look at those renderings.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 2:20 AM

The Seaholm website has a place where you can request rental information. Things are getting pretty serious for the Seaholm project. I'd love to see work get started on it soon.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 5:19 PM

And in all the renderings they still make it look like there will be a lot of pedestrian activity around the power plant. Oops, guess that is wrong. This is the last good chance for a nice large open plaza type area in downtown and its going to be choked off right at the heart.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
And in all the renderings they still make it look like there will be a lot of pedestrian activity around the power plant. Oops, guess that is wrong. This is the last good chance for a nice large open plaza type area in downtown and its going to be choked off right at the heart.
Huh? Why is it wrong? An open plaza for what? You want to level the Seaholm Power Plant? That area is NOT a good place for a "large open plaza". It would be completely empty and unused, a ghost plaza, like a lot of these kinds of places are in various cities. The state capitol building is the center/heart of our city, not the Seaholm district. There will be pedestrians in the Seaholm district because there will be destinations and residents there and because it's at the end of a long commercial strip called the "2nd Street District". There's no way you can look at these renderings and honestly tell me that there won't be pedestrians in that area.

Really baffling comment, there, nixcity.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 7:27 PM
Meh

I'm also excited to see the new central library built in that area. The Faulk Library on 8th is a pain in the ass to get to either as a pedestrian or on a bicycle. Traffic on Guadalupe is horrible, and that hill on 8th Street is a monster. I'm really looking forward to the new library and seeing what that area will be like in a few years.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm also excited to see the new central library built in that area. The Faulk Library on 8th is a pain in the ass to get to either as a pedestrian or on a bicycle. Traffic on Guadalupe is horrible, and that hill on 8th Street is a monster. I'm really looking forward to the new library and seeing what that area will be like in a few years.
Also, add to the mix, the art wall that will surround the substation. As I've seen the new Central Library and Seaholm evolve, there doesn't appear to have been any coordination between the projects.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2012, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Huh? Why is it wrong? An open plaza for what? You want to level the Seaholm Power Plant? That area is NOT a good place for a "large open plaza". It would be completely empty and unused, a ghost plaza, like a lot of these kinds of places are in various cities. The state capitol building is the center/heart of our city, not the Seaholm district. There will be pedestrians in the Seaholm district because there will be destinations and residents there and because it's at the end of a long commercial strip called the "2nd Street District". There's no way you can look at these renderings and honestly tell me that there won't be pedestrians in that area.

Really baffling comment, there, nixcity.
I was referring to the plant being used for commercial use rather than open to the public. And of course Seaholm is not the heart of ATX I meant that the plant is the heart of Seaholm and by cutting pedestrian traffic around there it will really limit the activity that could be there. And with Green coming on line over the next 10 years an area like that could be huge. You know public art, fountains and the like.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 4:44 AM
Meh

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 12:32 AM

Looks like they are having a meeting Monday to apply for the tower crane permit.

Quote:
The scope of this AULCC submittal is a temporary tower crane license agreement for the Seaholm Redevelopment project. The Seaholm redevelopment will include the addition of a high rise mutlifamily/retail building and low-rise office/retail building, as well as the remodeling/reuse of the existing power plant building. The site is located at 800 W Cesar Chavez , and is bounded by W Cesar Chavez, Seaholm Dr, W 3rd St, and West Ave. The tower crane will be located within the footprint of the garage/building improvements as shown in the exhibit and will have a swing radius of 177', which will enroach upon the W 3rd Street and West Avenue ROWs.
Here is a link to the Tower Crane Exhibit from the City's website.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 7:50 AM
Meh

http://impactnews.com/articles/new-c...rcent-complete
Quote:
Officials: New Central Library, Seaholm District plans about 60 percent complete
by Peter McCrady
October 2, 2012

Austin city officials and representatives from Lake|Flato Architects and Shepley Bulfinch architects took public comment on the new Central Library design plans as well as the Seaholm District public spaces Oct. 1 at a special called meeting of the Library Commission.

The design plans for both projects are about 60 percent complete.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 4:35 PM

Do they mean everything including the green site etc..? I thought Seaholm was going to start construction this year.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 8:46 AM

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 3:33 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by bks68 View Post
Those (I think) are new, but with the same design that it most recently had.

I'm going to like this building, by the way, because if the color palette stays the same it will be halfway between the W and Frost.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 3:52 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Those (I think) are new, but with the same design that it most recently had.

I'm going to like this building, by the way, because if the color palette stays the same it will be halfway between the W and Frost.
I'm new to this, and it's a little hard to wrap my head around all the projects on the horizon.

Is that area of town about to get 8 towers? This Seaholm tower, 311 Bowie, Gables II, the 2 Energy Control towers, and the 3 Green Water towers?

Anyone have a link to a map/visual aid for the city's current or planned projects?

Last edited by lzppjb; Dec 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I'm new to this, and it's a little hard to wrap my head around all the projects on the horizon.

Is that area of town about to get 8 towers? This Seaholm tower, 311 Bowie, Gables II, the 2 Energy Control towers, and the 3 Green Water towers?

Anyone have a link to a map/visual aid for the city's current or planned projects?
Actually 9 if you count the 20 story office tower that will be starting next year in the lot just to the east of Whole Foods. It may take several years for everything to get going however...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 1:57 AM
Meh

Those are the same renderings I have saved, so we've already seen that design. The height that I have for it is 314 feet to the main roof. The mechanical penthouse will probably add 10 to 12 feet to that number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Actually 9 if you count the 20 story office tower that will be starting next year in the lot just to the east of Whole Foods. It may take several years for everything to get going however...
10 actually. There are 4 towers at Green, not 3. Two will be residential, one office and one hotel.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Dec 21, 2012 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 8:55 AM

What are the 2 energy control towers? I'm confused. I thought that was going to be part of the Greenwater Plan? Have any renderings been released for those 2 energy control towers?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin