HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 4:58 PM

Dancing Gabe gets a nice profile in The Hockey News...
l
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/th...s-dancin-gabe/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 1:21 PM

Damn, Heritage Classic postponed for another year. Thanks BB or should I say "Wade"..

It all made sense, having the GC and then transitioning into the Classic in Dec.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Damn, Heritage Classic postponed for another year. Thanks BB or should I say "Wade"..

It all made sense, having the GC and then transitioning into the Classic in Dec.
This is all on the NHL. Who would want to have the Heritage Classic in December? Nevermind the "Late December" that I'm seeing in some articles?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post

This seems like such a non-issue... none of the eastern Canadian teams have hosted one yet, and it's supposed to be a crisis because a team that has only existed for 4 seasons might have to wait one more year to host one?

I can't blame the Bombers for protecting their interests. After all, they have to worry about paying off the stadium debts and the Grey Cup is a big piece of that. I don't see why the NHL's desire to protect the All Star Game (and their reported refusal to consider a Heritage Classic in late January/February) should take precedence over that.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This seems like such a non-issue... none of the eastern Canadian teams have hosted one yet, and it's supposed to be a crisis because a team that has only existed for 4 seasons might have to wait one more year to host one?

I can't blame the Bombers for protecting their interests. After all, they have to worry about paying off the stadium debts and the Grey Cup is a big piece of that. I don't see why the NHL's desire to protect the All Star Game (and their reported refusal to consider a Heritage Classic in late January/February) should take precedence over that.

It really isn't actually. I don't really give a ....... if it' s this year or next. I just liked the fact we would have had 2 major events staged at IGF and some continuation of the stadiums use. If the BB want to wait for a better date, thus not having to keep the stadium functional during the winter months so be it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
This is all on the NHL. Who would want to have the Heritage Classic in December? Nevermind the "Late December" that I'm seeing in some articles?
It may be, although Dec. in Winnipeg is not that terrible, Jan/Feb..is another story. If it was to be played in Nov. it could be just as cold/snowy.? Who can forecast the weather here with any great accuracy? Pre - Christmas here this year was quite pleasant for a spell.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 3:09 PM

It's all is a bit weird now. I'm not a professional marketing guru, but I think both would've sold out with no issues.

Anyhow, there were 3 major events lined up. Grey Cup, Heritage Classic and FIFA Women's World cup in the spring. The extra seats were supposed to be in place all the way through the soccer tournament, with costs being shared by all three events.

Now the NHL dropped out of that, so it'll cost more for the other two events. Is the Heritage Classic now only going to be at 33,000 capacity, or will the extra stands remain in place for over a year until the HC goes ahead? Who will pay for that. Likely not the NHL. Or maybe the will just erect a new set of temporary stands specifically for the Heritage Classic.

So instead of guaranteeing to have a 41,000 seat facility, the NHL will now potentially have 8,000 less tickets to make a profit on. Which I'm sure they're not too pleased with.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 3:11 PM

Why wouldn't the Heritage Classic have extra seating? The tickets are apparently sold at a price point similar to the Grey Cup, so you'd think that if it's profitable to bring in temporary seating for one event, it'll be profitable for the other. I believe that's what they did in Calgary, in any event.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's all is a bit weird now. I'm not a professional marketing guru, but I think both would've sold out with no issues.

Anyhow, there were 3 major events lined up. Grey Cup, Heritage Classic and FIFA Women's World cup in the spring. The extra seats were supposed to be in place all the way through the soccer tournament, with costs being shared by all three events.

Now the NHL dropped out of that, so it'll cost more for the other two events. Is the Heritage Classic now only going to be at 33,000 capacity, or will the extra stands remain in place for over a year until the HC goes ahead? Who will pay for that. Likely not the NHL. Or maybe the will just erect a new set of temporary stands specifically for the Heritage Classic.

So instead of guaranteeing to have a 41,000 seat facility, the NHL will now potentially have 8,000 less tickets to make a profit on. Which I'm sure they're not too pleased with.
The women's world cup is this summer not following the grey cup. And I'm pretty sure Miller talked of adding the additional seats in time for the Banjo Bowl and keeping them up til the grey cup and heritage classic (now postponed). Not sure where you heard the extra seating would be in place for the Womens world cup, but I find it dubious there would be that much demand considering Canada isn't involved in any games in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 3:49 PM

Yeah, I think WWC would be lucky to sell out period for the games not involving the USA for which many Americans will be visiting. The price point for those tickets is also not high enough to justify the vast expense of installing extra seats.... no one is going to pay $125 to sit way up in the endzones to watch teenagers from Sweden and Nigeria play soccer.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 4:03 PM

Oh ya, for some reason I thought it was the following summer. All I was getting at is it was convenient for all parties involved to use the same temp seating for both events. So they're going to have to put and tear down temp seating two times within basically a year of each other. Which seems a bit wasteful. But like Esquire said, it's likely feasible to put up the temp seating in either case.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, I think WWC would be lucky to sell out period for the games not involving the USA for which many Americans will be visiting. The price point for those tickets is also not high enough to justify the vast expense of installing extra seats.... no one is going to pay $125 to sit way up in the endzones to watch teenagers from Sweden and Nigeria play soccer.
This is the best summation of this event I've seen.

The projections for this event are being heavily oversold.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 4:49 PM

2015 MTS Centre Building Enhancements

http://jets.nhl.com/v2/ext/files/mts...hancements.pdf

- HIGH DEFINITION CENTRE HUNG SCOREBOARD
- PREMIUM LOGE SEATING
- 360 DEGREE POWER RING
- INSTALLATION OF A NEW STATE-OF-THE ART CONTROL ROOM
- NEW SEAMLESS GLASS IN THE UPPER LEVEL

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 5:14 PM
Mooderator

I see the Jets squeaking into the playoffs, and upsetting the #1 seed (Anaheim?)

Yes.. no.. ?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
http://jets.nhl.com/v2/ext/files/mts...hancements.pdf

- HIGH DEFINITION CENTRE HUNG SCOREBOARD
- PREMIUM LOGE SEATING
- 360 DEGREE POWER RING
- INSTALLATION OF A NEW STATE-OF-THE ART CONTROL ROOM
- NEW SEAMLESS GLASS IN THE UPPER LEVEL
Appears the slope of the stairs and row of new loge seats will not impair the view of the people sitting above them in those renders. Guess we won't know for sure until there built though.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 10:55 PM

Jets in playoffs, yes!

I was thinking the same thing on the potential for obstructed views by the loge seating. It's already difficult to see the near boards from up there, especially if you're in the corners. But isn't that bad at the moment. Here's hoping. Otherwise the improvements look nice!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Hope I'm wrong, but at the prices they are charging for Grey Cup tickets, I think they'll have trouble selling out either way. Maybe other season ticket holders went for the 3 year contract for a $100 discount. My group didn't. We didn't buy our Grey Cup tickets for $300 a seat.

IMO they better pray that the Riders or Bombers end up in the game.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Hope I'm wrong, but at the prices they are charging for Grey Cup tickets, I think they'll have trouble selling out either way. Maybe other season ticket holders went for the 3 year contract for a $100 discount. My group didn't. We didn't buy our Grey Cup tickets for $300 a seat.

IMO they better pray that the Riders or Bombers end up in the game.
I have season tickets in the second last section of the upper deck... Grey Cup tickets were more money per seat than our seats for the entire season. No thanks. Maybe it'd be different if I thought we had a shot at making it.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 6:58 PM

Anyone else alarmed by the direction this season has suddenly taken? From winning streak and playoff surge to losses aplenty, and now Kane is apparently done for good in a public blowup that means Chevy will be lucky to get a living, breathing NHL-calibre player for him? Wow.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 7:48 PM

The way I see it. Enstrom and Bogosian return to the lineup, team drops 5 straight. Hmmmmm, for real. The whole Kane situation is ridiculous. He's a little baby. The potential everyone has been hanging on to hasn't materialized. Now the situation, he opts for surgery. Kane will be traded at the draft, from what I can tell. Unless someone is willing to pony up now, Chevy will not let him go for nothing.

Jets have to pick up the play for this season. Chevy will be making some type of move for a forward, maybe two if he can.

Offseason (or now if Chevy makes the forward moves) we need to get rid of Enstrom. He is just too small and gets knocked around. Not the Jets style of play. Bogosian isn't living up to anything and is constantly injured. Makes mistakes all game long and just looks out of place on most of the rushes he attempts.

Jets need to get Postma and Pardy in the lineup consistently. Harrison can be #7 Dman. They all have size and have proven to be reliable. Buff and Chiarot pairing one, Trouba Stuart pairing two.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan