HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:28 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I don't know if enough people would take a Salmon arm bypass if it were built but tolled, and the original route left open. Look at the millions of cars trips that were taken on Highway 1 between Hope and Kamloops by people that refused to pay the Coquihalla toll just out of stubbornness, that was a long distance too.
A lot of truckers used the canyon not only to avoid the toll but also because the grades made the trip a real slow grind in a semi. I don't think that many people in passenger cars did it though, it adds an extra 2.5 hours to the drive to Kamloops and has a heavy semi traffic, so it can be really slow as well. Not really worth saving $20 I wouldn't think

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:28 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Don't forget that 100+km of 2 lane TCH in BC is federal responsibility as it's in national parks. BC couldn't upgrade that even if they wanted to.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:39 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

IMO, if BC gets highway 1 twinned around Revelstoke and even grade-separates 1 and 23 with 2 interchanges, widens the 2.5 km in Illecillewaet and extends the current 4-lane section further west of Donald, Parks Canada might want to put in plans to twin the sections through the 2 national parks. (Funding’s a whole different matter though.)

If KHC 4’s done and interchanges with 95 and with the service area built in Golden, we might even see Parks Canada try to start working on the remaining 40 km in Yoho.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
A lot of truckers used the canyon not only to avoid the toll but also because the grades made the trip a real slow grind in a semi. I don't think that many people in passenger cars did it though, it adds an extra 2.5 hours to the drive to Kamloops and has a heavy semi traffic, so it can be really slow as well. Not really worth saving $20 I wouldn't think
At least once every couple of trips to the coast, we would use the canyon. a more scenic ride. But the Koke is great for if you have a time issue and can deal with the weather. When I was hailing boats to and from the coast, the Koke was better even with the long climbs. 40 boat trailer with 60ft boats made for a tough drive in the canyon.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:54 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
At least once every couple of trips to the coast, we would use the canyon. a more scenic ride. But the Koke is great for if you have a time issue and can deal with the weather. When I was hailing boats to and from the coast, the Koke was better even with the long climbs. 40 boat trailer with 60ft boats made for a tough drive in the canyon.
I still drive it every so often if I’m leaving Vancouver and headed to the cabin at Bridge Lake near 100 Mile house, as it’s actually faster than the Coq.. it is a neat drive and there’s some nice views... But I remember driving down to Vancouver with my family before the Coq even exisited, we did it at least 2-3 times a year and that was a long trip, especially crammed in the back with two younger sisters. From Vernon you save about 4 hours taking the Coq via Kelowna vs. The TCH in a passenger car

I did some hauling for a friend’s auto transport company back when I was in college, I’d run down early Saturday morning from Vernon in a three car carrier unloaded on the Coq, pick up three ICBC wrecks at the yard in Richmond and then take the canyon back to Vernon. The buyers liked one ton trucks and big luxury yaght sedans, and the old International S Line I was driving didn’t have a ton of throttle so the trip back would have been pretty painful on the Coq

I’m sure people take the canyon for an adventure or to see a different route but I think the vast majority of people who just want to get where they’re going will save tevtime and take the Coq

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
I don't know if enough people would take a Salmon arm bypass if it were built but tolled, and the original route left open. Look at the millions of cars trips that were taken on Highway 1 between Hope and Kamloops by people that refused to pay the Coquihalla toll just out of stubbornness, that was a long distance too.
I did the Fraser Canyon once to avoid the toll and vowed never ever to do it again. If I recall correctly it was 11 bucks. More than worth it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 10:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I did the Fraser Canyon once to avoid the toll and vowed never ever to do it again. If I recall correctly it was 11 bucks. More than worth it.

Similarly in NS I went through Wentworth Valley to and back from Halifax on my first East Coast trip. When I found out the toll was only $4, I made sure to go on Cobequid on my second trip to and back from Halifax and never through the valley again.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 10:38 PM

The toll no longer exists on the Coq. I love the canyon and take it a lot, especially in winter. In fact, my last two trips down to Vancouver I had to take the canyon because the Coquihala was closed due to snow.

As for twinning the rest of the TCH to Alberta, it's a joke. They are building the easy sections first, which is just putting the burden on future generations/governments. Not fair at all.

Also, they could save HUGE money building a freeway from just west of Chase through the turtle valley to Salmon Arm. Every engineer I know who has done reports on this road tells me it's a no brainer, but the government is so stuck in a rut about never bypassing towns (even though Sorrento in this case wants them to bypass) that they will blast through 50km of rock and skirt around a lake instead of doing the right thing for half price.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 10:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is "donating" to the cost of the highway, just another way of saying "tolls"?
Or, maybe taxes....

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 10:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is "donating" to the cost of the highway, just another way of saying "tolls"?
Quote:
Don't forget that 100+km of 2 lane TCH in BC is federal responsibility as it's in national parks. BC couldn't upgrade that even if they wanted to.
It's twinned through Baniff, so it could be twinned the rest of the way.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 10:48 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Or, maybe taxes....
Well the premise’s to not have to increase tax, but if that’s a pipe dream, I hold my peace.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 10:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Well the premise’s to not have to increase tax, but if that’s a pipe dream, I hold my peace.
If you want it, you gotta pay for it somehow.

So, if taxes do not increase, what service do you use would you like shut down?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 11:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
If you want it, you gotta pay for it somehow.

So, if taxes do not increase, what service do you use would you like shut down?
Perhaps having the truck association donate money to construction is a pipe dream. In that case we should just toll the freeway where there are reasonable alternative routes. That should be fair.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 4:26 AM

BC has a bad habit of building roads on the cheap. The 3 most glaring examples are the Island Highway which was suppose to be freeway but is just a 4 lane roads with endless lights. The South Frazer Perimeter Road which BC calls an `expressway` even though it is just 4 lanes littered with traffic lights and built to such low standards that they didn`t even properly ramp the roads so transports are constantly flipping over when making turns. The other is the Okanagan Connector which could easily be connected to the Koke but instead goes all the way thru Merritt adding 20 minutes travelling time for cars and 35 minutes for transports as the connection would avoid the very steep and very long de/accents into Merritt.

Last edited by ssiguy; Dec 15, 2018 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 5:09 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

There are plans in motion to complete twinning through Yoho. But as we have become used to; "funding for this project is not currently available"

Check it out:
http://https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/yoho/gestion-mgmt/ie-ei/rtc-tch

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 10:14 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...rder-1.4958461

Well just more news, nothing shovel-ready yet.

Funny enough, absolutely nothing has been heard from the Manitoba side. Too busy with Winnipeg Perimeter Highway eh?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 5:39 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

What is happening with the Perimeter Highway in Winny ?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 9:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
What is happening with the Perimeter Highway in Winny ?
Not a whole lot, not sure what Dengler was referring to. The south section is being studied for upgrades to eventually make it a freeway but that is a long time and boatload of money away. I guess Dengler might be suggesting that the province has it's eyes focused there rather than the short segment of the TCH not twinned near ontario

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 10:36 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I guess Dengler might be suggesting that the province has it's eyes focused there rather than the short segment of the TCH not twinned near ontario
Bingo (although I wouldn't call 15 km short).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada