HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 12:51 AM

Red face OKLAHOMA CITY | Development Updates

Here are just a few of many to come developments in oklahoma City. I will post more in increments as to try to keep this topic strong. These are a few residential developments in the downtown area. There are a lot of these to come.

The Flatiron Lofts
The plan: Currently there is a 2-story brick flatiron building that is in severe condition on the triangle-shaped site. Originally the building would be demolished, but not so ... Humphreys commissioned 4 firms to make a case for him to keep the building on the site, and the winning design adds up to 5 stories, and there will be a few additions. The mixed-use development will include condos, offices, and retail.

Upper Bricktown Canal Renovation
The two-story building, which houses a Zio's and a gift shop, and the 5-story building that stands empty and in disrepair has been bought. The windows will be replaced, the facade cleaned up, possible additions made, and they will be adding offices, retail, and housing. The investment on this development will exceed $10 million according to the developers. They have reached a deal with a long-time Bricktown developer, Jim Brewer, and a partnership to operate and build a parking garage behind the building fronting Reno Avenue, that will be used to provide parking for this development, and for a canalside hotel that will soon be proposed by Jim Brewer. Located at the western dead end on the upper canal.

The Hill
11 acres at Stiles Ave and NE 2nd;
Under development, cranes moved in last month;
Well, originally they were going to create 191 townhomes ranging from 1,200 to 2,900 square feet, two and three bedrooms. All units come with two-car garages that are hidden from plain sight. The plans haven't changed much, except that they were downsized to 157 townhomes.

BLOCK 42
4th Street and I-235 Service Road, historic Maywood/Deep Deuce area;
In the middle of construction, will be finished this year;
Grant Humphreys is planning 18 townhomes and 12 elevated lofts, together the 30 units will range from 1,050 to 2,700 square feet, selling at an average of $300k. There will be a large landscaped courtyard in the middle of the development, between units and the streets, that will have WiFi Internet access.

The Candy Factory Lofts
The entire block bounded by East Sheridan Avenue, Main Street, Oklahoma Avenue, and the BNSF Railroad;
No buildings will be demolished. The 7-story brick building on the east side of the block will become lofts with street retail, and the 2-story Bunte Candy Factory building become office and it's uncertain whether the parking lot in the center of the property will be developed and what will become of the upper level of the buildings facing Sheridan

The Centennial on the Canal Condos
Reno Avenue in Bricktown. This is in front of the Harkins Bricktown theatre;
Construction is underway;
There will be 30 condominium units, ranging from 1,100 to 2,000 square feet, and $305,000 to $595,000. 27 of the 30 have already been pre-sold. The $14.3M development comes with 62 underground parking units, and 30 storage units. The Kingpin Bowling Lounge (10-alley bowling alley) and a Starbuck's will be on the canal level as retail anchors. There will be more retail spaces along the street-level terrace, a format similar to the upper canal and a swimming pool will be on top of the roof. It's 5 stories tall including the below-street canal level.

Last edited by Architect2010; Jun 10, 2007 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 1:51 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Good work.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 2:28 AM
Meh

Nice update. I know we don't have many Oklahomans on here anymore, but I'd be in favor of making this an update thread like Austin and San Antonio have. That is, if this thread stays active enough. Maybe it would spark some interest and keep the updates coming.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 4:17 AM

Not bad at all. Nice to see all this great development going on in Wichita's (3hrs to get to) neighbor to the south

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 4:40 AM

I like all of those except The Centennial. What are they thinking doing an EFIS exterior in BRICKtown? It would look fine if it were all brick, and if there weren't a surface lot behind. Maybe in the future they'll redo the exterior and build an addition on that parking lot...

There's also a big mixed-use development on the east end of Bricktown that's in the planning stages. Some renderings:

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 7:40 AM

Legacy at Arts Quarter Luxury Apartments
301 N. Walker;
OCURA took bids for the city block at Walker and Robert S. Kerr in 2002, and Mike Henderson won with his plans to build the Legacy with its 303 residential units. The units range from 750 square feet to about 2,000 square feet, and the 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom plans are all named after, get this, cups of coffee. For example, the largest floor plan is the Java Grande, then there's the Cinna Dolce, all the way down to the Cafe Au Lait. 303 of these, there are. The 1st floor of the 5-story development is entirely retail, and the parking is in a garage that is hidden from view. Construction is now complete.

Hampton Inn Bricktown
East Sheridan on the north side of the Bricktown Ballpark;
This $20 million project by Madison, Wis-based Raymond Management Group will be a Hampton Inn upon completion, and the tallest building in Bricktown, at that, 9 stories. There will be about 200 rooms. Under Construction now.
former rendering and design

design after downgrades

Skirvin Hilton Hotel
Once Oklahoma's most luxurious hotel, the Skirvin has laid untouched since the late 1980's and has eluded demolition several times until recently renovated. Construction crews have been making their way all around the facade of the building and through the interior, all of which has been completely restored. The 1930 configuration of the Skirvin had 530 rooms, whereas the 2007 configuration will have 225 rooms; 20 suites, and one presidential suite each with flat screen televisions. There shall also be 22,000 square feet of meeting space, plus a destination lounge and a signature restaurant. It should be noted however that the City's website puts the room/suite count at 235. One of the more exciting aspects of this restoration is that the grand ballroom will be restored to its original splendor. The renvation is complete.

Lofts at Maywood Park
NE 2nd St and Oklahoma Ave;
Proposal, will break ground at the start of this summer;
This development is highly significant in that it is a large addition to the lower side of the scale in terms of downtown real estate $$$. The lofts, which there will be exactly 55, will range in price from $126k to $304k and most will sell for below $200k. There will be ground floor office/retail. Underground parking is included. This and the Brownstones at Maywood Park (which this is designed with in mind) are designed for replication along NE 2nd and 3rd streets so we will see this become part of a much larger development very soon

Central Avenue Villas
NE 4th and Central Avenue;
Construction is kicking into high gear after plans were hung up due to an underground high voltage line where the underground parking will be. Problem solved;
Specifications are 1-3 bedroom, 735-2,800 square feet, and $125,000-$375,000. Construction started in mid 2006 and should be finished before 2007 is over.

Center Point Market on the Bricktown Canal
The plan: 35,000 square feet of retail with office space on the second floor.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I like all of those except The Centennial. What are they thinking doing an EFIS exterior in BRICKtown? It would look fine if it were all brick, and if there weren't a surface lot behind. Maybe in the future they'll redo the exterior and build an addition on that parking lot...

There's also a big mixed-use development on the east end of Bricktown that's in the planning stages. Some renderings:

Yeah this is the proposed $200 million dollar development that would be by Redhawk owners Bob Funk and Scott Pruitt. The development would call for filling the entire Coca Cola Events Center's Parking lot with mid rise retail an lofts with a much need parking garage. And on the tiny strip of land adjacent to the east side of the ball park, a 5 star high rise hotel. They are in negotiations with the city and so far things arent going so well...

Thanks for the support. I have always noticed how the Oklahoma Threads will start out strong and then will fade. Hopefully we can fix that problem, but we have to work together, that sounds so corny...lol ...... I'm for real tho.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 7:27 PM
Meh

I'll go ahead and make it a sticky topic.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 8:37 PM

alright!! well thank you KevinFromTexas!.......

http://www.okcbusstops.com/
This is a website for Oklahoma City's new Bus stops to help promote our citizens to to be more pedestrian friendly instead of car dependent. There are seven designs that u can vote on from that link provided above. I myself chose #7, thats my favorite and then #1. Please check this out because whichever one is chosen out of the seven designs will be replacing our rickety wooden benches all over the city!!! lol. And try to think about what these designs might look like aftera couole years to try and get the best one economically and the one that might last the longest.

Here are the designs, but you have to vote for them on the website!!!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 11:37 PM

#6 is definately interesting.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 2:33 AM

yes well........#6 is not one of my favorites either...lol
but i also think that any one of these would be a good alternative to those concrete slabs with four wooden legs that we call our bus stops today. Yeha but then again a huge bright purple bus stop with blinking red cubes could be distracting to the car traffic...yup thats an accident waiting to happen...lol im playing.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 5:27 AM
Meh

One thing, though, guys, can you please credit the photographer(s) of those photos? Or else atleast post a link to where you found them. That'll be forumwide rules soon. If all the photos are owned/created by one photographer, then just credit that person at the top for the thread. If there's multiple photographers for multiple photos, then credit each one below each photo. If you don't know who owns/took the photos, then atleast provide a link to where you found them in the same manner as the photographer credits.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jun 11, 2007 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 2:51 PM

Nice thread architect! Between all of these projects DT OKC is basically one big construction site these days.

Lately some different news is that Office Depot will be opening a 22,000sf, brick and cast stone exterior, urban designed location in Midtown OKC. This is part of developer Greg Banta's Midtown Renaissance project. He says he has many other national retailers interested in Midtown, and Office Depot coming in hopefully will inspire others to have more confidence.

Of the recent residential projects, I think about 500 units have been moved into over the last month or two, mostly in the Arts District due to Legacy Apartments and Park Harvey Tower.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 9:37 PM

yeah, I've heard of that Office Depot. Hopefully it does lure other retailers and shops downtown and around midtown to help enhance and promote the growth of residences in downtown and midtown. Especially after the core to shore development takes place. I should really post that on here.....
I'll be posting soon.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 4:09 AM

http://www.okc.gov/planning/coretosh...uals_data.html

Core to Shore will provide a plan for the changes and growth that will result from the upcoming I-40/Crosstown Realignment.
The Oklahoma Department of Transportation has already started re-routing the existing I-40 freeway to approximately S 7 Street between I-35 and May Avenue.

Core to Shore Concepts

Gateway to Downtown: Soon after the new freeway is built, the overhead lanes of the current I-40 between Oklahoma and Walker Avenues will be replaced with a new boulevard at ground level. This new street will be the gateway to downtown and encourage new development to compliment recent downtown investments. Completion for the new freeway is targeted for 2008. Construction of the new street will take about 18 months and is targeted to start in 2009.

Boulevard Concepts
#!

The new I-40 realignment and boulevard will bring significant changes to Oklahoma City, especially to the area between downtown (the “core”) and the Oklahoma River (the “shore”). This will open up new interests for development opportunities and provide better access to neighborhoods and businesses throughout the area between downtown and the river.

The Core to Shore Plan is a revitalization of the dilapidated area just south of downtown. When this project is complete, it will help contribute a major deal to Downtown Oklahoma City's Downtown Renaissance and Riverside Development and will help promote a better image for Oklahoma City.

Last edited by Architect2010; Jun 14, 2007 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 2:41 PM

Kinda curious about the I-40 realignment. I know through downtown it is an elevated highway, but with its new realignment, will it be brought to ground level or go underground entirely?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 8:40 PM

it will be at grade-level and semi depressed, a combination of the two.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 8:42 PM

From Downtownokc.com's skyline snapshot. - http://downtownokc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=83 click on skyline snapshot Q2 2007 on this page

The four-mile relocation project is
estimated in 2004 to cost $360 million. The project has
received federal appropriations of approximately $216.3
million in discretionary funds. Approximately $184.7
million of the appropriated funding has been encumbered
for engineering design efforts, first construction, and the acquisition of 190 of 205
needed parcels of land on the path of the new alignment.
The relocated segment will be 10 lanes wide and able to accommodate
173,000 vehicles per day. The current six-lane expressway between May Avenue
and the Ft. Smith junction was finished in 1965 and designed to carry 72,000
vehicles per day; it now averages about 120,000 vehicles per day. The new highway will
be a combination of on-the-ground or semi-depressed roadway instead of the elevated
thoroughfare presently in place.
The existing highway will be replaced with a new
downtown boulevard designed to enhance visitors’ first impression of Oklahoma City.
The existing Crosstown will continue to be used while the new facility is being
built, resulting in very few construction delays for motorists. Additional enhancement
features are planned for inclusion that will benefit the nearby communities, including a
park, a pedestrian bridge, and a sound wall. First drafts of concepts for overpasses at
Western, Walker, Robinson and Shields have been developed and are being refined.
Status: All design contracts for the new interstate have been approved by ODOT and
designs are progressing on all parts of the mainline interstate project. Construction began
with a groundbreaking ceremony on Nov. 14, 2005, with bridges over the south end of the
Bricktown Canal. Construction is now underway. Assuming full federal funding,
the projected completion date is expected to be late 2008 or early 2009.
The project received commitments from Congress for an additional $130 million in
federal funding over five years in the transportation bill passedin July 2005.
So far, ODOT has received approximately $35 million of that new funding.
[B]Contact: John Bowman, ODOT; (405) 522-6611, jbowman@odot.org[

yup at grade or semi-depressed.

Last edited by Architect2010; Jun 14, 2007 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 2:19 PM
Big City Enthusiast

Yes Kevin, thanks for the sticky.

I imagine Dallas and Houston might want one as well?

As for the bus stops, I also voted for 7 but I liked 4 and 1 also. The others don't seem to be practical although I do hope the city goes ahead with MORE THAN JUST ONE design, since some bus stops are large while others are small. some of the small designs could work at the small inner city locations while the large ones obviously would work at commuter/suburban stops. Nevertheless, it is great that the city is moving forward with transit - but I think we also need to get in some good sidewalks and lights, to further encourage transit use in OKC.!!!

I was also elated to hear that the city plans to move forward with the design (and hopefully soon construction) of the downtown circular, which would be a low-floor light-rail modern streetcar (ie. Portland Streetcar). The sooner we can get this built the better it will be to lure residents AND BUSINESSES back into the Downtown districts and Midtown. They can build in 'high-floor' light-rail and/or commuter rail to the suburbs later once they get the bus and brt/park n rides going and accepted.

I don't think it takes too long to build a streetcar line, especially since the city already has the right-of-way and much of the route today is underpopulated. I hope they dont wait too long to get the first route constructed (and I hope that route is more comprehensive through downtown than what was originally proposed by Metro - what a joke).

The first route should be a circle, running up Walker to 10th then turn to Hudson, head south to 5th, run down 5th to Robinson, run south to Sheridan, turn east into B-town, make the turn at Mick Mntl dr then turn to Reno all back to Walker. Later, the line could be extended at 10th and Walker to go into Midtown and perhaps on to the Asia District and OCU, there could be an extension added to go up the bridge on OK ave into Deep duece, Triangle then on to OHC and the Capitol district, and there could be "infill" track to cover more of the downtown core and (of course) expansion into the new south downtown. I hope they do very well with this one as it will put OKC in a great position for downtown development.

As for the Core-to-shore boulevard, I hope they go with boulevard 3 because of its size and "signature" status. We need a true BIG CITY boulevard leading into downtown and choice 3 looks like a great opportunity for that.

As for the Crosstown, too bad they are not going deeper with it near Union Station (instead of just partially below ground there), why not go completely under the rail yard - thus preserving it??? Why didn't anyone think of this.

Going back to the high-floor light rail or commuter rail idea (that would come after the downtown streetcar circular), I think the first corridor should be Edmond to downtown on to Norman, in fact - Amtrak or O-Dot should already be running a Guthrie to Downtown via Edmond and then on to Norman line with the Heartland flyer or with another train - Im sure that route would get lots of pax already given the tourism potential of guthrie, the suburb/bedroom draw of Edmond, the obvious entertainment/business/cultural draw of downtown, and the "OU" draw of Norman as well as aleviate the traffic congestion of I-35, especially with the construction it has seen recently.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 4:34 PM
Oklahoma City

Although I've been a forum member for awhile, I've rarely posted. But, this is a nice thread that interests me, so I think that I will.

A question, before I get too carried away ... is the function of this thread to show what "is becoming," what "might become," and/or what already is?

For example, is something like the Chesapeake Boathouse along the Oklahoma River and the OCU Regatta, pics I took last summer beyond the scope of the thread? I'm looking for some guidance, here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral