HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 1:42 PM

That 1 story, odd looking building (lawyer's office) on the NW corner of Washington and Peoria is just about gone. I remember a rendering for a replacement a few months/years back, but nothing of any major significance.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 1:58 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Found out what's proposed:

6 floor building with 30 units, 36 parking spaces, 19 bike storage room with 3400 sq ft of retail space on the ground floor. They'll need a zoning change for this.
Borrrrring. I guess it's too far from the 'L' to qualify for TOD, although with excellent bus service and a very walkable area, it would have been nice to see it be taller, denser, and a lower parking ratio, given it's definitely an area people can live without a car. It's interesting how high the ceilings are in it, though. It's six stories in the same space that the building next to it has eight - almost eight and a half - stories. Given the difference in ceiling heights, I guess if this was eight stories, it would be about the same height as its neighbor if the rendering is correctly proportional. At six units a floor, that could be another dozen units. If the parking stayed the same, that'd be a .85:1 ratio, which wouldn't be bad.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Borrrrring. I guess it's too far from the 'L' to qualify for TOD, although with excellent bus service and a very walkable area, it would have been nice to see it be taller, denser, and a lower parking ratio, given it's definitely an area people can live without a car. It's interesting how high the ceilings are in it, though. It's six stories in the same space that the building next to it has eight - almost eight and a half - stories. Given the difference in ceiling heights, I guess if this was eight stories, it would be about the same height as its neighbor if the rendering is correctly proportional. At six units a floor, that could be another dozen units. If the parking stayed the same, that'd be a .85:1 ratio, which wouldn't be bad.
Parking in that area is a nightmare and it's way too far to be a TOD. The developer is probably also trying to be realistic about what can get approved too.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 2:50 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
That 1 story, odd looking building (lawyer's office) on the NW corner of Washington and Peoria is just about gone. I remember a rendering for a replacement a few months/years back, but nothing of any major significance.
Damn that was fast! They only built that thing a few years ago

What's replacing it?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Damn that was fast! They only built that thing a few years ago

What's replacing it?
http://www.tarisrealestate.com/900-w-washington/

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
And another to keep an eye on:

ADM to close Fulton Market wheat mill for new LaSalle County plant

Could be a really awesome conversion.

i dont know how easily those silos could convert into another use tho. would imagine this will get demod.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i dont know how easily those silos could convert into another use tho. would imagine this will get demod.
It's more, how hard is it to demo vs convert? These things are built to last. Slow to take down, many trips to haul away. It could actually be easier to cut holes for windows and build a steel frame inside for floors and halls

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:31 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
It's more, how hard is it to demo vs convert? These things are built to last. Slow to take down, many trips to haul away. It could actually be easier to cut holes for windows and build a steel frame inside for floors and halls
Are you envisioning a hillbilly "Marina City"?
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
They make EXCELLENT climbing walls.
http://upperlimits.com/bloomington/
(b.t.w. UpprLimits is cheap, and offers sessions tailored to Cub Scout and Boy Scout merit badges).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:33 PM

I know of at least two instances where grain elevators were converted to other uses. There is Calhon Isles condos in Minneapolis and there is a crown plaza hotel in Akron, OH. I could see the ADM silos here making a very nice loft building if they are in decent shape. Would also be harder for neighbor to cry about height since the structure is existing.

Quacker Oats Mills hotel from waymarking.com

Calhoun Isles Condos from Minnesotaloftsandcondos.com

Also apparently there is another silo development like this in Baltimore that's more recent.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:57 PM
The City

^ That would be a rad idea, and consistent with this area's theme of converting meat packing/industry type uses into residential/commercial

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Are you envisioning a hillbilly "Marina City"?
If that's what they call adaptive re-use of industrial and agricultural structures.......sure

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:04 PM

Also this luxury hotel/gallery redevelopment by Thomas Heatherwick...

https://www.dezeen.com/2017/05/18/ro...-south-africa/

Source: https://www.dezeen.com/2014/02/27/he...va-waterfront/

I think it could be one of the coolest adaptive reuse opportunities close to downtown, along with that power station across from Riverline.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 7:58 PM

^
thats pretty cool. dont get me wrong, would love to see something similar done here

actually, some sort of art gallery would make a lot of sense (altho prob not financial sense).

or nightclub for that matter. think about Berghain in Berlin

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jun 6, 2017 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:
^
thats pretty cool. dont get me wrong, would love to see something similar done here

actually, some sort of art gallery would make a lot of sense (altho prob not financial sense).
Well, it's situated pretty squarely between the West Loop and West Town (with galleries leaving the former for the latter), and Richard Gray Gallery just opened a warehouse gallery space on the 2000 block of West Carroll, so it would make sense from a geographic standpoint. Whether they've got tenants that could fill the space is another issue, though I imagine there are quite a few who might relocate from River North if that district is getting too expensive.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 8:04 PM

Quote:
or nightclub for that matter. think about Berghain in Berlin

I've always thought it'd be cool for someone to open a Berghain for house music in the Central Manufacturing District.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
I've always thought it'd be cool for someone to open a Berghain for house music in the Central Manufacturing District.
yea. unfortunately for whatever reason, this sort of music just dosent draw the same sorts of interest in the US (outside of like, the mega commercialized EDM variety festivals). even smartbar which is booking leading underground talent that would sell out a Berghain size space in Europe, usually is lucky to draw moderate crowds on a given night. and thats only a 400 capacity space.

those berliners are really really passionate about their techno in a way that the average chicagoan simply isnt, to the extent that they can support all sorts of cutting edge clubs. the best we can hope for is sloppy Excalibur-esque "concepts" to draw in the douchey naperville bottle service set.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 8:12 PM

Giant beer fermentation and conditioning tanks? 8)

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 9:34 PM
Constantly Sketching

I would love to see a Berghain style night club there. It's a shame Chicago's techno taste is so poor. Alas the best the West Loop can muster is The Mid

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's very safe and boring. The document stated it was 74 feet in height, so that's an average of a little more than 12 feet per floor. Hope the units are nice inside - that's a good height for ceilings (probably will be a little less than 12 feet is my guess though)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development