HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Not sure how new this building is, but seems relatively new.
http://www.vcbo.com/dixie-health-science.html

It's interesting how the massing of this building might be typical of say a 60's building at BYU like the McKay or old JFSB. Yet, the diverse materials and their application, window arrangements, etc. make it so much more attractive than it's cousins from the 60's. I think todays styles/detailings are infinitely more attractive than those of the 60's and 70's.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 7:12 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Will St.George ever develop anything over 6-stories? What is the tallest building in St.George?.......the temple?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 2:48 PM

I don't know if St. George is there yet, as far as mid-rise architecture is concerned. The new Holland Library at DSU is 6 floors on the south elevation. 5 on the north. The temple is by far the tallest building, with the tabernacle being the next tallest. When St George proper begins to near 100,000 residents, I imagine that something along the lines of 7-10 stories might pop up.

Years ago, I worked for State Bank of Southern Utah. They had a major problem with their branch on the 400 East and the Boulevard. The plan was to do a complete rebuild, but they weren't sure about cost effectiveness. I presented the idea of doing a 7 story building like the Wells Fargo building in Provo. Plenty of office space to lease, with residential on the top levels. Everyone at the meeting looked at me like I was stoopid. That was when I learned to keep my mouth shut. They never rebuilt that branch, instead they built a different branch up by the Olive Garden.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 1:59 AM

New art museum for SUU

Quote:
Work begins on cultural projects at Southern Utah University by Brooks + Scarpa
Quote:
Brooks + Scarpa has designed three new centres for the Southern Utah University (SUU) campus: the Southern University Museum of Arts (SUMA); the Beverley Taylor Sorenson Center for the Arts; and an Artistic/Production Building. The SUMA will be the anchor for the Beverley Taylor Sorenson Center for the Arts which will replace the existing open-air Adams Theater.

Construction is due to begin on the project shortly, providing updated art gallery space on the Southern Utah University campus. Inspired by the nearby sandstone formations of Bryce Canyon and Mt. Zion National Park, the design team has generated a canyon-like roof system with a dramatic cantilever that provides an additional 5,000 sq ft of external space.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=24715

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 2:07 AM

Uh.... What the hell? They're replacing the Adams Theater (the Shakespearean Globe) at SUU? Why? It's the one cool thing about Cedar City.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 2:03 PM
Transit Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Uh.... What the hell? They're replacing the Adams Theater (the Shakespearean Globe) at SUU? Why? It's the one cool thing about Cedar City.
Terrible... I can see wanting new venues but why tear down something that pretty much made Cedar City pseudo relevant. We'll see if locals and other donors allow this to happen.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 7:11 PM

Umm, where does it say that??!! There is nothing in this article that says it is tearing down the Globe theater. Here is the only part that mentions the Shakespeare theater:
Quote:
The Beverley Taylor Sorenson Center for the Arts includes rehearsal areas, a costume shop, studio theatre, and administration offices, while the Shakespeare Theater and Production Building will blend office and conference rooms with rehearsal space and a black box theatre.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Umm, where does it say that??!! There is nothing in this article that says it is tearing down the Globe theater. Here is the only part that mentions the Shakespeare theater:
"The SUMA will be the anchor for the Beverley Taylor Sorenson Center for the Arts which will replace the existing open-air Adams Theater." Maybe they mean SUMA will replace the outdoor theatre as the anchor? but not the building? It's debatable but seems to imply replacing the actual theatre.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 7:10 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Yeah, I think it can be read either way, it is worded poorly.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 7:52 PM

No, I looked it up. They are tearing down the Adams Theater. They will EVENTUALLY replace it with a new globe replica and renaissance village near this new performing arts center.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 5:39 PM

Major Multi-Use Development Planned For Downtown St. George

FOX 13 - From an article dated August 8th by Zach Whitney - http://fox13now.com/2014/08/07/st-ge...e-development/

Artist rendition of Joule Plaza as seen from Tabernacle Street | Image courtesy of Ben Rogers, CRSA, St. George News

ST. GEORGE, Utah – Plans for a major multi-use development in downtown St. George are one step closer to reality after approval by the city council.

The 3.9-acre property is located on the south side of Tabernacle Street from 200 West to 300 West. Dubbed with the name “Joule Plaza,” the multi-use development will contain retail and residential space.

“It’ll be a first for St. George,” said St. George city community development coordinator Bob Nicholson. “It’s in the downtown, so we think it’s a good location, walkable, bring some vibrancy to the downtown.”

Nicholson said it’s been in the works for about two years, but developers have been waiting for the economy to improve. But the approval of a conditional use permit for the height of the building, and a consideration for parking mean plans are a go.

Renderings show the four-story buildings will add about 130 residential units and about 24,000 square feet of commercial space. This kind of design is outlined in the city’s long-term plans for redevelopment.

“It’s fairly common in larger cities,” Nicholson said. “Even in larger cities in Utah. Salt Lake, Ogden, Provo, Orem. They all have mixed use projects.”

The commercial development will take up about two-thirds of the city block, making it one of the largest here in the downtown area...

Last edited by delts145; Nov 27, 2014 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 8:22 PM

Nice addition to Saint George!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 7:39 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I agree, a nice addition, appropriately scaled to the existing downtown. Slightly taller than the other buildings, but a common sense increase in height.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 8:55 PM

Last time I was in downtown St. George I was pleasantly surprised. Most of the retail seemed to be centered around the east part of St. George Blvd but the rest was nice.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 3:31 AM
BANNED

I saw that United Express/SkyWest is adding a second daily flight from Denver to St. George this summer. With this I believe there will be six daily flights out of SGU this summer..four to SLC and two to DEN. This additional Denver flight is seasonal only and it allows better connections to and from Denver.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 5:48 AM
Bring out the cranes...

With all these added flights I wonder if they will need to add on to their airport anytime soon? More gates?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 6:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
With all these added flights I wonder if they will need to add on to their airport anytime soon? More gates?
They won't need to add any gates. There are currently two gates. One has a jet bridge and the other is just a hard stand that uses a ramp to the plane when the jet bridge has a plane at its gate. On average a single gate at a U.S. Airport does about five to six flights a day. So the current two they have now will be perfect for the airport. With the current two gates they have, SGU could easily do 10-13 daily flights. The turn around times for the flights now are only about 30-45 minutes, so even now the planes are not on the ground long at all. And again, they are only at six daily flights during their peak of the season. During the slower months of the year, SGU only has about four or five flights a day, depending on the day of the week.

When it comes to expanding the passenger terminal, SGU was built so that expansion would be an easy add on, so to speak. There is plenty additional room to add one and maybe even two more airlines at the check-in counters, which are already built but not used. Right now only Delta and United have counters. They can also add a lot more seating in the passenger waiting area if needed. The planes that Delta and United fly in are only 50 seaters (CRJ-200). If they were to bring in either 65 or 76 seat airplanes (CRJ-600/700 or the Q400 in United's case) then they would probably add more seats. Also if one or two more airlines come in such as American/American Eagle or Alaska/Horizon Air then they would add more seats because flight arrivals and departures times would most likely overlap. If any expansion is going to happen then I expect the baggage carousel and claim area to be the area.

If American/American Eagle comes into SGU then I could see them adding a flight to either Los Angles or Phoenix....Dallas/Ft. Worth would be a long shot. If Alaska/Horizon Air adds a flight it would most likely be to Los Angeles on a 76 seat Q400 (turboprop). The problem with SGU is that most airlines are getting rid of their CRJ-200's and that is the only commercial plane that flies into the airport. So if airlines want to come into SGU or add more flights they are going to have to use a plane that seats about 65-76 passengers. I think SkyWest on behalf of Delta and United is going to fly to SGU on their own at risk with the CRJ-200. So those flights will be fine. It's more of an issue now with that particular plane getting taken out of service and if airlines think they can fill and make money on flights with slightly larger planes to SGU.

Last edited by LumberJack; Jan 14, 2015 at 7:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Also, SGU handles on occasion SunCountry Airline charter flights which come in on Boeing 737-800's with no problem.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 3:59 AM
BANNED

Aloha everyone. Here is an article with a video talking about updates to the St. George airport. It mentions the possibility of being renamed to St. George Regional Airport, the mention of some Canadian airlines inquiring about flying into the airport, and the possibility of becoming an international airport. I recommend watching the short video than reading the article. I would guess the Canadian airlines interested in flying into SGU are WestJet and maybe Air Canada Rouge. Right now the airport has six flights a day. Four to SLC on Delta Connection and two to Denver on United Express.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.VWKcDXBOKrV

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 5:04 PM
BANNED

St. George Regional Airport (SGU) is officially the new name of the airport. Regional is replacing Municipal in the airport name. The change is to help attract more airlines and hopes to connect more cities to fly into SGU. The airport is seeking a $400,000 grant from the FAA in hopes to land a nonstop flight to either Los Angeles (LAX) or Phoenix (PHX). American Airlines/American Eagle would obviously be the airline if Phoenix is chosen and if Los Angeles is chosen either American/American Eagle, Alaska/Horizon Air, or United/United Express would be the airline. I personally think it will be service to Los Angeles on American/American Eagle as the new city and airline. American is trying to grow their Los Angeles hub and United is actually shrinking their Los Angeles hub and eliminating short haul regional flights. I don't think it will be Alaska because their turboprop aircraft that they use for regional flights which holds 76 passengers is probably too large in terms of seats to be profitable for a daily flight to Los Angeles, compared to the 50 seat aircraft that United, Delta, and American use for their regional flying. Phoenix would be an awesome choice too. Phoenix would probably offer better connections but LAX is in a major city and a huge hub.

Here are the updated passenger numbers between May 2014 and April 2015. Delta/Delta Connection and United/United Express both operating under SkyWest are the only two airlines at SGU. There are currently four daily flights to Salt Lake City on Delta and two daily flights to Denver on United for a total of six daily flights.

Salt Lake City (SLC) 45,000
Denver (DEN) 16,000

SGU is the third busiest airport in Utah in terms of passenger after SLC and Provo Municipal Airport (PVU).

Last edited by San Diego-Honolulu; Jul 21, 2015 at 9:29 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West