HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Trinity no longer holds an interest in the Corbett Centre. They sold their interest to Rio Can earlier this Spring
Yeah, they dont even mention the new stores listed at the Trinity site on the Riocan page.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 3:47 PM

Surprised but not shocked re delay in the Hilton construction. Surprised that they did not already factor in the soil issue when they made their bid to council. They didn't do their homework. This has been a known issue for years. But having said that I am pleased they will maintain the 11 storeys.

Last edited by Freddypop; Aug 14, 2010 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 10:01 PM

Found the following on the RioCan site re Corbett Centre.

Full report can be found here:

https://riocan.com/_bin/investor/retailDevelopment.cfm

CORBETT CENTRE
Fredericton, New Brunswick
This 26 acre site, acquired by way of a 66-year long-term lease, is currently being developed into a 473,000 square foot new format retail centre. The site is anchored by Home Depot, which owns its own store and operates as part of the overall site. A Costco, which also owns its own store, will commence operations in 2011. RioCan purchased Trinity’s interest in the property in the second quarter of 2010.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 10:57 PM

In the full report they must mean the fit ups being done in the strip mill with the dollarama to be completed by the third quarter of 2010, especially since I dont believe they count Costco because they own the store and Riocan is only responsible for the site works and not the store itself. Based on the dates they have in the report for potential future development (2011-2012), it looks as though the new stores listed on the Trinity site are not dated properly, which doesnt surprise me (as was brought up earlier on here).

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
In the full report they must mean the fit ups being done in the strip mill with the dollarama to be completed by the third quarter of 2010, especially since I dont believe they count Costco because they own the store and Riocan is only responsible for the site works and not the store itself. Based on the dates they have in the report for potential future development (2011-2012), it looks as though the new stores listed on the Trinity site are not dated properly, which doesnt surprise me (as was brought up earlier on here).
Re current fit-up...I think you are correct. Re future development I believe the key is their policy statement that they will essentially not build on spec but will not proceed further development on any of their properties nationwide until contracts are signed, sealed and delivered. Having said I am confident that things will pick-up at The Corbett Centre once Costco is up and running. It is after all historically a retail magnet which will draw other retailers.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 9:23 PM

Yeah definately, it will surely attract others to the site.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 11:52 AM

New school planned for Lincoln
Published Monday August 16th, 2010
Education | New facility will be built on same site as Lower Lincoln Elementary
A1
By NICOLE VEERMAN
veerman.nicole@dailygleaner.com

Students in Lincoln are getting a new elementary school.

Finance Minister Greg Byrne said because the cost of renovating is almost as much as building a new school, the Lower Lincoln Elementary School will be replaced.

"Because of the age of the school and because of what would have been necessary to bring it up to code, the cost of the renovations would be over 75 per cent of the cost of building a new school," said Byrne. "So it didn't seem to make a lot of sense from a financial standpoint (to renovate)."

The estimated cost of the renovation was $8.8 million, while the estimated cost of a new building is $10.7 million, said Byrne.

The new building will be built on the same site as the current school. Byrne said he wasn't sure when building will proceed or when the facility will be finished. He said the first step will be putting together a planning committee to begin the design preparation.

The new school will designated a NB3-21C school.

That means the new school will have an enhanced focus on improving student achievement in literacy, numeracy and science, while also integrating the teaching and learning of 21st century competencies, all within a technology-rich environment, said Byrne.

There are 30 schools in the province that have been identified as NB3-21C schools.

Byrne said the new Lower Lincoln Elementary School is important for the students and the growing community.

"This is a community school. It's not only an educational institution; it's a place for many community activities. This will provide an enhanced environment for the community as well."

District 17 Supt. David McTimoney said the new building is great news for future students and the 180 students currently enrolled at the Lower Lincoln Elementary School.

"It's very exciting," he said. "This will be a great improvement to an aging structure; not so much an improvement, but a great replacement.

"Right now our students are certainly safe in the building, and they're getting the appropriate education they deserve, but with the creation of a new school, that's going to enhance the learning opportunities for them that much more."

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 11:55 AM

Tenders for new arena expected to go out soon
Published Monday August 16th, 2010
A3
By HEATHER MCLAUGHLIN
mclaughlin.heather@dailygleaner.com

Tenders should be issued by the end of August for the construction of the Grant * Harvey ice hockey arena and sports centre, the city's community services committee was told recently.

Tony Hay, assistant director of community services, which is responsible for recreation facilities in Fredericton, said much of the site preparation was done ahead of time, so construction can move ahead quickly once city council receives prices and determines the successful contractor by the end of September or early October.

In the meantime, work has started to install a geothermal heating system that will recover warmth from the earth and turn that into an environmentally friendly way of heating and cooling the building.

It will be a demonstration site for the system, to be supplied by Ice Kube Systems Technology.

The system will cost $2.3 million.

The Ice Kube geothermal heat pump equipment will capture heat from the centre's ice plant, which will be used to heat liquid stored in a closed ground loop. From there, the underground thermal energy system distributes heat back to the Grant * Harvey Centre to heat the building and its water supply.

The systems are designed for hockey and curling arenas in North America.

Hay told city councillors that he doesn't expect the city will be hit with huge fluctuations in steel prices, as the city experienced with construction of Willie O'Ree Place.

The Grant * Harvey Centre will have an NHL-sized ice rink, plus an Olympic oval.

The city has also started construction of an artificial turf field that will be ready this fall for soccer and football play before the season wraps up.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 12:58 PM

75 jobs coming to Oromocto
Published Wednesday August 18th, 2010
Call centre | Government providing loan of $6,000 per job to company
A1
By STEPHEN LLEWELLYN
llewellyn.stephen@dailygleaner.com

A new contact centre with 75 jobs is setting up in Oromocto.

The official announcement will be made today in the model town.

"Virtual-Agent Services is announcing the establishment of a contact centre in Oromocto," said Finance Minister and Fredericton-Lincoln Liberal MLA Greg Byrne on Tuesday.

"They will create 75 new jobs."

He said VAS has been in New Brunswick for more than 11 years.

"They are a very successful business and they employ more than 950 people," said Byrne. "They have centres throughout the province, many in rural communities."

The company has centres in Bristol, Doaktown, Stanley, Nackawic, Perth-Andover, Minto, St. Louis, Hillsboro, St. George, Neguac, Rogersville, Petitcodiac, Chipman, Sussex, Plaster Rock and St. Andrews, he said.

"These jobs are welcomed by the community in which they are located," said Byrne. "They often provide families with second incomes."

He said VAS has pioneered the distributed workforce concept through Bell Aliant.

While the centres are spread across the province, they're linked by a common telephone system so it acts as one virtual operation, said Byrne.

"Despite the economic crisis and despite the many challenges that businesses are facing, they have been able to grow their business and create new opportunities," said Byrne. "We are proud to be a partner."

He said the province is providing financial assistance to VAS in the amount of $6,000 per job, or about $450,000.

"It's a forgivable loan, so they have to maintain those jobs during the contract period in order to be eligible," he said. "Usually when they establish a centre they grow well beyond their initial expectations."

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 1:01 PM

Contract for $2.3-M sound berm along Vanier Highway awarded
Published Wednesday August 18th, 2010
Project | Work will begin in a few days, Byrne says
A3
By STEPHEN LLEWELLYN
llewellyn.stephen@dailygleaner.com

Work on the long-awaited sound berm between the Vanier Highway and Skyline Acres will begin in a few days, the province says.

Finance Minister and Fredericton-Lincoln Liberal MLA Greg Byrne said Tuesday that the $2.3-million contract for the barrier has been awarded to the Fredericton firm Springhill Infrastructure Ltd.

"I am very pleased that the project is going to be moving forward," he said.

"It will be great to see construction will start right away."

Springhill was the lowest of six bids on the project, according to the Department of Transportation.

The bid came in several hundred thousand dollars over the department's estimate. The highest of the six bids was $2.8 million, said department spokesman Andrew Holland.

"They are a firm with extensive construction experience and a great reputation," Byrne said about Springhill.

He said he hopes the work can be completed this fall.

"It is a considerable undertaking," said Byrne.

"It is 1,300 metres of noise barrier."

It will run from Kimble Drive to the off-ramp to the highway leading to the Princess Margaret Bridge.

"It will be a berm that has an elevation of approximately 1.7 metres above the roadway and then there will be a wall that will extend 2.8 metres above that," said Byrne.

"That wall will be on steel post and they will be in concrete footings."

He said the earth and wall berm is designed so there is no need to relocate the power lines that run parallel to the Vanier Highway, which would be expensive if required.

"It is a very effective sound barrier," said Byrne.

"It will have a tremendous impact on noise reduction and for the residents living adjacent to the highway it will certainly improve their quality of life."

Byrne said he was in the Skyline Acres area Monday night and spoke to many residents who live along the highway and they are thrilled by the news about the berm.

"It has been a project that has been talked about for many, many years," he said.

Byrne said there will be no impact on roads in the area during the construction.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 8:57 PM

Roundabouts

Just heard from a reliable source that the first round-about in Freddy will be on Brookside Drive at the Brookside Drive-Reynolds Street-West Hills Crossing junction. Plan is for the city to start with a smaller round-about before tackling the larger ones. Official announcement coming soon....

Should be interesting.....

Last edited by Freddypop; Aug 19, 2010 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Just heardfrom a reliable source that the first round-about in Freddy will be on Brookside Drive at the Brookside Drive-Reynolds Street-West Hills Crossing junction. Plan is for the city to start with a smaller round-about before tackling the larger ones. Official announcement coming soon....

Should be interesting.....
I saw that as well. That's actually a very logical place for a roundabout. Will be interesting to see how traffic handles it. I wonder how they will deal with pedestrians.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I saw that as well. That's actually a very logical place for a roundabout. Will be interesting to see how traffic handles it. I wonder how they will deal with pedestrians.
Yes....will be intersting as to how the pedestrians are handled. Currently just a cross walk there. I understand that Sobeys gas bar is slated to be located at the Hill Bros property at West Hills Village. That should result in an increase in traffic.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 1:47 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

How is the pedestrian traffic up there now? The last time I was in that neighbourhood, there were only a few houses in West Hills, the condos/apartments behind Brookside Mall, and the strip mall was still under construction, so there was practically no pedestrian traffic at all (I don't even remember sidewalks there).

That location is a great one for the first roundabout to get people used to them. I could see them handling the pedestrian issue similar to this (this is just brainstorming, so take it all with a grain of salt):
-mid-block crossing(s) on Reynolds with overhead lights, or a pedestrian actuated traffic light at the entrance to Brookside Mall (not sure how warranted any of this is, but it's an idea)
-crossing at Summerhill Row-West Hills Crossing intersection (with no sidewalk on the east side of West Hills Crossing)
-pedestrian actuated or traffic actuated light at Brookside Dr entrance to Brookside Mall (given the state of that mall when I last saw it, I'd lean towards pedestrian actuated).
Took a quick peak at streetview and it looks like the city planners might have something like this in mind since there's no sidewalk on the east side of Reynolds or West Hills Crossing. Overhead pedestrian lights are (relatively) easy to move, and the current ones would have to go with a roundabout anyway. There's no sidewalk on the south side of Brookside either, but that's another easy fix.

Crosswalks and roundabouts can co-exist, but drivers and pedestrians both have to be hyper-vigilant where they do. I really like the idea of a roundabout there though.

As for the hotel, I'm also surprised they didn't know enough about the soil issues on site, but it might be a case of chalking this up to "that's just the funny nature of soil". There could be a complication on this lot that wasn't there on the convention centre or office building lots. I wouldn't say this is common, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time something like that happened anywhere. Good to hear they can keep 11 floors on it though, probably just need to expand the foundation beyond what they expected, which will add costs but doesn't sound like it's severe enough to put the project in jeopardy.

Last edited by Smevo; Aug 20, 2010 at 5:04 AM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 2:31 AM

Noticed that El Burrito Loco is up for sale....

http://www.exitadvantage.ca/listing/...04-king-street

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 3:39 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I hope he's moving, and not closing. In spite of his 'personality', that place has some excellent food.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
How is the pedestrian traffic up there now? The last time I was in that neighbourhood, there were only a few houses in West Hills, the condos/apartments behind Brookside Mall, and the strip mall was still under construction, so there was practically no pedestrian traffic at all (I don't even remember sidewalks there).

That location is a great one for the first roundabout to get people used to them. I could see them handling the pedestrian issue similar to this (this is just brainstorming, so take it all with a grain of salt):
-mid-block crossing(s) on Reynolds with overhead lights, or a pedestrian actuated traffic light at the entrance to Brookside Mall (not sure how warranted any of this is, but it's an idea)
-crossing at Summerhill Row-West Hills Crossing intersection (with no sidewalk on the east side of West Hills Crossing)
-pedestrian actuated or traffic actuated light at Brookside Dr entrance to Brookside Mall (given the state of that mall when I last saw it, I'd lean towards pedestrian actuated).
Took a quick peak at streetview and it looks like the city planners might have something like this in mind since there's no sidewalk on the east side of Reynolds or West Hills Crossing. Overhead pedestrian lights are (relatively) easy to move, and the current ones would have to go with a roundabout anyway. There's no sidewalk on the south side of Brookside either, but that's another easy fix.

Crosswalks and roundabouts can co-exist, but drivers and pedestrians both have to be hyper-vigilant where they do. I really like the idea of a roundabout there though.

As for the hotel, I'm also surprised they didn't know enough about the soil issues on site, but it might be a case of chalking this up to "that's just the funny nature of soil". There could be a complication on this lot that wasn't there on the convention centre or office building lots. I wouldn't say this is common, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time something like that happened anywhere. Good to hear they can keep 11 floors on it though, probably just need to expand the foundation beyond what they expected, which will add costs but doesn't sound like it's severe enough to put the project in jeopardy.
I think there has been a pretty good increase in pedestrian traffic out there now. There are several hundred houses out there with all the expansions to the existing ones and new subdivisions (Brookside West, Northbrook, West Hills) and the mobile home park.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
I think there has been a pretty good increase in pedestrian traffic out there now. There are several hundred houses out there with all the expansions to the existing ones and new subdivisions (Brookside West, Northbrook, West Hills) and the mobile home park.
Add the Tannery Court building now under construction as well. I travel that route on a daily basis and the growth over the past 5 years has been amazing. West Hills is nearly full and Brookside West is on Phase IV. Even the Brookside Mall has undergone some positive changes (Lawtons, Nubodys, NB Liqour plus 350 new provincial jobs) and is now receiving its share of traffic.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I hope he's moving, and not closing. In spite of his 'personality', that place has some excellent food.
But did you see that he had an illegal Mexican working for him for $300/week, and held his passport? That's f'ed up.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Noticed that El Burrito Loco is up for sale....

http://www.exitadvantage.ca/listing/...04-king-street
It's been for sale since February or March.

Also for sale is Jive's. It closed within the last couple weeks. Supposedly bankrupt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces