HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Yeah I love it. Its growing into one of my favorite places in the city. Maybe its the various connections I have to it... but I'm a huge Pleasantville fan.
Do I see a home purchase in your near future????

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:02 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Do I see a home purchase in your near future????
Ha, if I had the cash its the neighbourhood I'd be looking at.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 5:35 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quidi Vidi Village

Why isn't Quidi Vidi protected as a heritage area?

Quidi Vidi residents unhappy with development plan

Quote:
A proposed housing development for Quidi Vidi has some St. John's councillors wondering why the historic village has not been protected by heritage rules. . .

People in the community were opposed to a plan to put three view-obstructing homes in the area 10 years ago, but they were built anyway. . .

Squires doesn't believe city hall has done much to protect the historic village from new developments.

Deputy Mayor Shannie Duff, chair of the city's heritage advisory committee, said there is no way to enforce heritage standards in the area. But she will be trying to change that.

"I am going to be recommending that Quidi Vidi be designated a heritage conservation area," Duff said.
Article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...plans-227.html

I think the most important question is how large should the area boundary be?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 11:43 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

I'm not one to toss heritage zones around, but I really do think Quidi Vidi should be designated a heritage and conservation area. Within reason. It shouldn't cover too much. Just where the road narrows (if that makes sense).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 11:47 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It does make sense. It should protect important heritage structures, like Mallard Cottage, and that core part of the village where the homes are in close proximity to each other. But that's it. There's no reason to prevent development back on the hillsides where it is being proposed.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 4:39 PM

Any new updates regarding the new Empire Theatres and other retailers/restaurants for the Field Power Centre lately? Does anyone know if Harvey's is opening soon?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 4:40 PM

Saw a new sign on harveys saying opening soon, as well they had an ad in the paper for an employment fair happening soon.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwspencer38 View Post
Saw a new sign on harveys saying opening soon, as well they had an ad in the paper for an employment fair happening soon.
Awesome! I can't wait to try Harvey's! I would imagine they will have a slow first few months though because they are quite literally the only business in the middle of a field on a road to nowhere right now, haha! But that will change soon!

Also, is the Empire Theatres or any other restaurants/buildings even under construction yet??

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 10:30 PM

I don't think any buildings have started yet but site work seems to be on going. I thought empire was slated for this spring? I could be wrong on that.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

March 5, 2013

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:41 PM

^ that'll look good, I drove down their yesterday.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:57 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
March 5, 2013

Does anyone know if this little area is going to continue to have more built there? I'm too lazy to look at the Pleasantville plan right now, but I'm not even sure if this is part of it or not.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The golf course behind stays, I'm sure, yes - but the rest, if I remember correctly, will be pretty filled in once the plan is complete.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 6:26 PM

I think that current development is on the southern edge of the Pleasantville development. I don't think it's a part of the redevelopment as a whole but the apartment complex will compliment it nicely

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 10:30 AM

Good to see some diversity shows that people from other cultures are calling this place home

Proposal for Muslim Cemetery in Torbay

Quote:
The Muslim Association is waiting on a meeting with the town of Torbay on a proposal to develop the province's very first Muslim cemetery and funeral home. President Dr. Syed Pirzada says they already own a five-acre site for a cemetery off the Bauline Line, which will be developed as needed. Pirzada says they're also hoping to develop an area that will include a funeral home, and a sanctuary for family and the community to hold prayers before the burial of a body according to Muslim tradition.

Until now, the local Muslim community had cemetery plots in the General Protestant Cemetery on Waterford Bridge Road, but the community is growing so fast, space is running out, and another solution had to be found.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=31998

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 10:40 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Aww, I love that.

I've been meaning to stop by that mosque on (is it Torbay Road or Logy Bay Road?) and leave some flowers or something on the doorstep, and sneak away. It'd be nice to do some stealth welcoming.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Aww, I love that.

I've been meaning to stop by that mosque on (is it Torbay Road or Logy Bay Road?) and leave some flowers or something on the doorstep, and sneak away. It'd be nice to do some stealth welcoming.
the Mosque is on Logy bay road next to the NTV studios .. they've been wanting to build a larger one too lately

There is a Sikh temple on Logy Bay road somewhere too I believe

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=st.+joh...,93.72,,0,2.28

Off of Torbay road is the Hindu temple

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=st.+joh...71.52,,1,-8.48

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:23 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I think that current development is on the southern edge of the Pleasantville development. I don't think it's a part of the redevelopment as a whole but the apartment complex will compliment it nicely
Oh buddy, what's being built there is only the tip of the iceberg. These are the first few parts of Pleasantville that were sold, and they are indeed the south-eastern corner of the development. I would also consider that section to be about 5-10% of the total space available in Pleasantville over the coming years.

Here is a quick picture I threw together in Paint. Not perfectly accurate, but gives you an idea. Yellow is the total area that is to be redeveloped. Red is what Signal has been taking pictures of. The blue sections are land I am aware of that has been sold, but has yet to have developers move forward. Considering that Andrews Street was removed completely last fall, I am assuming that SOME development will start up in the Spring. More is expected to be sold this year.

As it extends, many of the old army buildings will be destroyed. Also note I missed a small section that should be in the yellow, above the DND building, kind of on the western curve of Churchill Ave. That will be developed as well. Basically everything below the golf course and above The Boulevard is fair game, with the exception of some of the newer condo buildings that have been put in PVille over the past ten years (I think there are two). Those are staying.

Last edited by Copes; Mar 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 4:28 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

What you have outlined looks like the brown area at lower right in this brochure map:

http://www.clc.ca/sites/default/file...012_fa_rev.pdf

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:15 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
What you have outlined looks like the brown area at lower right in this brochure map:

http://www.clc.ca/sites/default/file...012_fa_rev.pdf
Pretty much yeah. The brown area, at the time of the brochure, was all that had been sold. Not sure what the purple represents... in one section is the Affordable housing building but I'm not sure what the other piece of land would be. Then the brochure is actually advertising part of the blue I have outlined (which has since been shown).

EDIT: If you add the "jagged" blue section on mine, plus the red where the Affordable Housing is, you get the purple section on the brochure. However I know for certain they are separate parcels of land, so the purple still confuses me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's