HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I do wonder a bit if developers might be missing the market a bit with these houses. On the one hand, this neighbourhood seems to be intended for younger people, with families.

On the other hand, my now-retired parents are looking to downsize to a smaller house, and one of their biggest Wants is a lack of stairs. Their current house (the one I grew up in) is 3 stories; bedrooms at top, kitchen dining/living in the middle, family/laundry at the bottom + a basement. After 30-some years, they're tired of climbing stairs.

The problem they're having is everywhere they are looking, there isn't much of a supply for (smaller) single level homes. Everything on the market (not necessarily the Moncton Market) is multiple stories. With the aging Maritime population, maybe the developers aren't quite making the right homes?
I don't know what the demand is for single level homes for seniors. I'm in my 50's and most of the people I know who are empty nesters and want to downsize are looking at condos or apartments like the highrise being built in Dieppe. It's not that they don't want stairs, they don't want the upkeep of a house. They want to travel and have places in Florida or Arizona for the winter and don't need the hassle of owning a property.

For young families, the rules for buying a house now are getting stricter for financing so cheaper options might work well on a new home.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
Those compact homes are ridiculous, I remember seeing some built in Dartmouth a number of years ago (turning right at the intersection where left takes you to MicMac mall) and asking myself who'd buy an eyesore like that.

Has the price of land in Moncton gone up so much that people can only afford to buy either a semi or a 50 feet wide plot of land to build a comical looking house that needs an elevator in it once you turn 60?
Fifty feet sounds generous. That house looks like it might be on a forty foot lot. I don't think they look that bad, but if you're going to have such narrow lots it probably makes more sense to have back alleys and no driveways at the front of the house. This would allow for more appropriate scaling of the facades.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 8:45 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
The problem they're having is ... there isn't much of a supply for (smaller) single level homes.
If these homes are meant for cost-conscious buyers, having a design that needs less building materials makes sense. Multi-floor homes have shorter plumbing distances, and a smaller foundation. Also, heat rises so multi-floor homes are cheaper to heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Fifty feet sounds generous. That house looks like it might be on a forty foot lot. I don't think they look that bad, but if you're going to have such narrow lots it probably makes more sense to have back alleys and no driveways at the front of the house. This would allow for more appropriate scaling of the facades.
Back alley's don't make sense in a heavy snow zone. They'll be doubling the cost for snow removal.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
We drove by Lotus Vienamese last night and my wife said it appeared empty inside, has the place closed? It was never exactly busy but I'm not finding anything to indicate they have closed.
This place has been transformed into an Asian grocery called 'Kim's Mart'. I didn't get a chance to go in but from the outside it looks pretty big.

Edit: I had to add this... but I told my wife we would henceforth refer to Kim's Mart as K-Mart.

Last edited by Feneant; Feb 14, 2018 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:17 AM

Patricio's Pizza (at least I think it's that storefront, I didn't get the best look) is being replaced by Pita Panda. I don't know if that's a brand of if all the good names were taken.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 12:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Chinese style pizza???

EDIT - I just re-read your post and saw that it was Pita Panda, but I like this image of a panda style pizza so much I'm not going to take it down.....

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Patricio's Pizza (at least I think it's that storefront, I didn't get the best look) is being replaced by Pita Panda. I don't know if that's a brand of if all the good names were taken.
It's probably just another pita sandwich place. But the name does imply some Chinese-MiddleEastern/Greek fusion cuisine. MonctonRad went the same place my first thoughts went.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:43 PM

https://www.facebook.com/PitaPandaNPatricioPizza/

Their mascot looks pretty angry.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I like my pizza panda better.........

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:37 AM
Throbbing Mass

AFAIK, Patricio's moved to the former bar on east St. George St. The one that was called, variously, "The Office", "Snafu", and "Phase II".

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumater View Post
AFAIK, Patricio's moved to the former bar on east St. George St. The one that was called, variously, "The Office", "Snafu", and "Phase II".
Actually it was Phase III Pub, and you forget that it was a weed dispencery as well untill I think they got raided for selling weed illegally.

The Unit seems to not be used very long by any business though.

I'm glad to see something else then another Pizza place on Mountain Rd.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 12:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another new subdivision planned for the area immediately to the west of the Mountain Way subdivision:

You can see how this subdivision connects to "future street A" in Mountain Way on the subdivision plan below.

I think the prospect of the new anglophone middle school in Mountain Way is going to unlock a lot of development in the area.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 12:42 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

And yet another residential development for NW Moncton, this time on the south side of Ryan Street, to the east of the Horsman roundabout:

In short, an elongate residential development on a private ROW between Ryan Street and Silver Shale Way with a four storey apartment building on the Ryan Street end, with smaller apartment buildings further to the south. The south end of the development will abut with and have access to the Northwest Trail.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And yet another residential development for NW Moncton, this time on the south side of Ryan Street, to the east of the Horsman roundabout:

In short, an elongate residential development on a private ROW between Ryan Street and Silver Shale Way with a four storey apartment building on the Ryan Street end, with smaller apartment buildings further to the south. The south end of the development will abut with and have access to the Northwest Trail.
The larger Building reminds me of 219 Lewisville Road with the 2 Comercial Units on the front and apartments behind, and above the only differents I see is the fact the render is 3 floors in the front, and 4 behind the commercial units, and all the way back. This housing/commercial project should do well seeing as they would be in a very accesible location with the bus stop almost in front of the building, and easy drive to Mapleton/Plaza area, Trinity Drive, and also to the Moncton Industrial park.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 9:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I think we know enough now to come up with the street grid that is going to develop between Twin Oaks and Ryan Street over the next 10 years or so:

I added in the school locations (including the new anglophone middle school, the proposed north end community centre, and the proposed residential care facility in the Mountain Way subdivision to flesh out the plan, and to help give some rationale for the shape of the street grid.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I think we know enough now to come up with the street grid that is going to develop between Twin Oaks and Ryan Street over the next 10 years or so:

I added in the school locations (including the new anglophone middle school, the proposed north end community centre, and the proposed residential care facility in the Mountain Way subdivision to flesh out the plan, and to help give some rationale for the shape of the street grid.
If it's still a plan You missed a street coming off south of Holand going towards Ryan, and turning onto Twin oaks facing the entrance of Ecole Le Sommet. There where plans for an apartment building on Ryan Street, and semi's behind it .

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 1:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Could be. I make no claim as to the ultimate accuracy of my map, but it is based on the two recent subdivision presentations to the PAC, and to the common knowledge of the ultimate extension of Twin Oaks through to the Horsman roundabout. We also now know exactly where the new anglophone middle school is being built, and where the city intends to put the north end community centre.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 3:02 AM

Quote:

Could be. I make no claim as to the ultimate accuracy of my map, but it is based on the two recent subdivision presentations to the PAC, and to the common knowledge of the ultimate extension of Twin Oaks through to the Horsman roundabout. We also now know exactly where the new anglophone middle school is being built, and where the city intends to put the north end community centre.
True My statment was both meant to be Joky, and also a statment based on Before they had built the French school, and roundabout after the Farmland had been purchased. they had a plan that was floating around that showed off some semi's, and a large 60 Unit 4 level apartment building.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 12:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Work ongoing in the interior of the new Pur & Simple breakfast restaurant and juice bar at 1909 Mountain road (old Big League Burger location)

Phote from their Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pursimpleat...location=group

internet address - http://pursimple.com/en/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
If it's still a plan You missed a street coming off south of Holand going towards Ryan, and turning onto Twin oaks facing the entrance of Ecole Le Sommet. There where plans for an apartment building on Ryan Street, and semi's behind it .
This was on the south side of ryan between Lady Russell & the north west trail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces