HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 12:59 AM

Atlanta's greatest asset/strength and a game changing attribute:

Diversity - Many bright minds and tech talent across all ethnicities.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Haha, I don't think any of us proclaim to be "experts", just active observers and excited about our city. I think many people on this forum contribute positively in their own capacities, whether they are architects, in real estate, or they are just a city booster. If you don't want to be a part of this discussion with like minded development people, perhaps city-data may offer the more intellectual, curated atmosphere you are looking for
Most comments are insightful, but it seems a few folks get caught up in their own (baseless) opinions. Just my Irma bad-day bitching I guess.

So in other news....saw a surveyor out on the Eviva site today (really). Anyone have any insight??

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
Most comments are insightful, but it seems a few folks get caught up in their own (baseless) opinions. Just my Irma bad-day bitching I guess.

So in other news....saw a surveyor out on the Eviva site today (really). Anyone have any insight??
Re:Eviva - maybe they were just looking at ways to hang another banner around the perimeter of the property that will get nasty looking after a few months?? I'm obviously kidding but hope there's really movement on this project soon.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:14 AM

There's an article in Businessweek titled "Atlanta's Emperor of Empty Lots." I think that everyone on this board knows who that's about based on the title:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-of-empty-lots

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGump View Post
There's an article in Businessweek titled "Atlanta's Emperor of Empty Lots." I think that everyone on this board knows who that's about based on the title:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-of-empty-lots
Basically a good guy, but what a pompous ass. First of all he "ain't no spring chicken", and yet he says he loves Atl so much but leaves these eyesores (lots) all over highly visible areas, what a joke.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 12:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Basically a good guy, but what a pompous ass. First of all he "ain't no spring chicken", and yet he says he loves Atl so much but leaves these eyesores (lots) all over highly visible areas, what a joke.
BS, I am in the other camp re: Dewberry. I think he is a visionary and not willing to compromise his standards just to throw up something to make a quick buck. With any other developer, we could have easily seen a 4 acre style Novare or FU-qua style development. I applaud him for putting the COA before the almighty $.

With that said, a 4 acre parking lot in the middle of Midtown is bullshit. Dewberry needs to build a park until he is ready to move forward with development.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 12:16 PM
BANNED

Midtown high-rises getting steepest rents, concessions hold steady

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...est-rents.html

195 13th Street

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Re:Eviva - maybe they were just looking at ways to hang another banner around the perimeter of the property that will get nasty looking after a few months?? I'm obviously kidding but hope there's really movement on this project soon.
Eviva will be happening and in fact originally when the property changed hands a new Publix was actually going in the property (though with the delays probably not anymore) I heard they have rejected offers though to sell with a +10% return and for every month they don't start construction they are paying a significant penalty relating to the retail ownership.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Eviva will be happening and in fact originally when the property changed hands a new Publix was actually going in the property (though with the delays probably not anymore) I heard they have rejected offers though to sell with a +10% return and for every month they don't start construction they are paying a significant penalty relating to the retail ownership.
You're probably right that it will break ground in the next 4 - 6 months but I worry the design will be watered down significantly and we'll end up with a 27 story boring glass box.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:17 PM
BANNED

Mayor Reed just "liked" my tweet I sent him this morning.

Quote:
@KasimReed Mayor Reed, Atlanta needs to win Amazon. Offer them branding at GWCC/Amazon World Congress Center and build at the Gulch.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Midtown high-rises getting steepest rents, concessions hold steady

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...est-rents.html

195 13th Street
This is showing up blurry for me on dekstop, so i'm replacing the URL... I think this project will fit in great!

Also- always a confidence boost when Hizzoner appreciates the same idea. I like to tweet at politicians (particularly mayors) and local department heads to try and provide ideas for areas and see if they are receptive to it. I find they often are if you put a little bit of vision into the tweet.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Mayor Reed just "liked" my tweet I sent him this morning.
That is a pretty creative idea- I'm sure there will be a team putting together the proposal for Amazon, and they will be scowering the web for ideas and insights- crowdsourcing will probably help for projects like this. I have to wonder if branding the GWCC would deter any competing industries, e.g. WalMartfest from picking GWCC as a location. I do think 'Amazon' fits with the GWCC efforts to combine hall B and C into one large space (over the RR tracks) and does fit with the fact the GWCC is one of the largest in the country. Amazon would get a lot of visibility in that location from Atlanta's large tourist industry.

Regarding 13th street proposal- I really love the design.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:33 PM

Colony Square Food Hall - "Main and Main"

NAP Announced the concept for their food court/food hall will be named "Main and Main" - the self-promoted moniker Mark Toro has been touting for the intersection of Peacthree/14th Street.

Quote:
“It’s time for Colony Square to re-emerge as a pioneer in the evolution of mixed-use development,” Mark Toro, North American managing partner, said in a statement. “We will redevelop its two insular office towers and antiquated food court to become the Midtown community’s go-to dining and entertainment destination, an urban gathering place that engages and energizes the street level and invites people into an immersive, sensory experience.”

Steve Palmer of Charleston-based hospitality group The Indigo Road, which is behind restaurants such as sushi spot O-Ku and Oak Steakhouse, will serve as “chef curator” for Main & Main.

Architect David Thompson will lead the design.

There will be a dozen or more culinary concepts in the food hall. No tenants have been announced yet.

The food hall will also serve as the setting for more than 200 annual events at Colony Square. It will include 28,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor event space and a stage.

And there will be a greenspace called “The Grove,” that will feature large trees, Spanish steps and a beer garden. It will sit at 14th and Juniper streets.

The inspiration for the food hall came from more than 20 concepts around the country, including Union Station in Denver and Revival Food Hall in Chicago.

North American plans to break ground this fall.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ny-square.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
NAP Announced the concept for their food court/food hall will be named "Main and Main" - the self-promoted moniker Mark Toro has been touting for the intersection of Peacthree/14th Street.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ny-square.html
Main & Main is a pretty dumb name. Maybe it should be called AmazonEATS. (it might help)

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:09 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

Quote:
BS, I am in the other camp re: Dewberry. I think he is a visionary and not willing to compromise his standards just to throw up something to make a quick buck. With any other developer, we could have easily seen a 4 acre style Novare or FU-qua style development. I applaud him for putting the COA before the almighty $.

With that said, a 4 acre parking lot in the middle of Midtown is bullshit. Dewberry needs to build a park until he is ready to move forward with development.
Visionary my ass. What has he done that's soooo visionary? Holding on to something for a long time doesn't make you a visionary. He could have done something visionary time and time again in midtown, instead we get a hellhole in one of the most active and vibrant submarkets in the city. I'm not convinced.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSangha View Post
Visionary my ass. What has he done that's soooo visionary? Holding on to something for a long time doesn't make you a visionary. He could have done something visionary time and time again in midtown, instead we get a hellhole in one of the most active and vibrant submarkets in the city. I'm not convinced.
Did you read the article? Dewberry stated Midtown needs more density and foot traffic to justify building what he has planned. So as much as you think Midtown is the most "active and vibrant submarket" in the city, the fact is Midtown (not Atlantic Station) has not shown the ability to attract or sustain retail outside of restaurants. I do think this will change with the Colony Square redevelopment though.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
That is a pretty creative idea- I'm sure there will be a team putting together the proposal for Amazon, and they will be scowering the web for ideas and insights- crowdsourcing will probably help for projects like this. I have to wonder if branding the GWCC would deter any competing industries, e.g. WalMartfest from picking GWCC as a location. I do think 'Amazon' fits with the GWCC efforts to combine hall B and C into one large space (over the RR tracks) and does fit with the fact the GWCC is one of the largest in the country. Amazon would get a lot of visibility in that location from Atlanta's large tourist industry.

Regarding 13th street proposal- I really love the design.
This was my thinking. Although, Philips Arena naming rights may be expiring soon so that is an option as well.

As for WalMarFest, I could give 2 or 3 craps what they think. In my mind, Wal-Mart is the nutsack of the f'en devil. 80% of their full and part-time workers are on some type of Federal and/or State assistance program because of their low pay and limited or no health insurance. I personally hope Amazon puts them out of business!

Philips Arena Naming Rights

Philips signed a $180,000,000/20 year agreement in 1999 for naming rights. That would put the expiration at 2019. Coincidentally 2019 is the year Amazon wants to have their HQ2 Phase I up and running. Just offering naming rights is worth at least a quarter billion dollars.
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/03/bu...nta-arena.html

Last edited by Atlanta3000; Sep 13, 2017 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSangha View Post
It could be worse. At one time, Jeff Fuqua was looking at developing 10th and Peachtree. I think this was around 1998. I believe that the first iteration was pretty urban, but the second was a more conventional retail use. We should be very thankful that didn't happen. I'll always take a vacant lot (and the potential for positive change) over bad development that's likely to remain unchanged for decades.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Did you read the article? Dewberry stated Midtown needs more density and foot traffic to justify building what he has planned. So as much as you think Midtown is the most "active and vibrant submarket" in the city, the fact is Midtown (not Atlantic Station) has not shown the ability to attract or sustain retail outside of restaurants. I do think this will change with the Colony Square redevelopment though.
He offers no proof or hints at this grand vision of his. He clearly states that instead of contributing to the growth of Midtown, like developing sites that would increase foot traffic, he's just going to sit there and let everyone else do the lifting.

Instead of being the impact, he's waiting for the impact to come and then he hopes to ride the wave.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
He offers no proof or hints at this grand vision of his. He clearly states that instead of contributing to the growth of Midtown, like developing sites that would increase foot traffic, he's just going to sit there and let everyone else do the lifting.

Instead of being the impact, he's waiting for the impact to come and then he hopes to ride the wave.
This is his problem, he has so many properties and some are less than ideal.

I get that there needs to be more foot traffic, though in the past 5 years that has increased significantly.

I understand, he'll need that in order for retail, restaurants, etc. to flourish, but he does need to prove to do something eventually.

And yes, a public park in at least one of his areas would go a long way to helping. He's done it, on a very small scale with the art on 10th street corner especially if his plan to wait it out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations