HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I am in love with the design of that Selig project. It reminds me of a Norman Foster.
Looks more like a "mini-me" of WTC Tower 3 by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners (formerly Richard Rogers & Partnership).

WTC Tower 3

Seligs' West Peachtree Project

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Oh there are several of these ( at least four) that have been built in and around downtown Athens in recent years.
The ones in Athens are far less luxurious than new Atlanta highrise rentals (not that I'm convinced the ones at Tech are nicer than new Atlanta highrise rentals either).

My broader point is that the idea that these highrises are only for Scrooge McDuck children is misguided. They're for suburban upper middle class families who can afford $1k/mo versus $600/mo to live in Home Park or dorms or whatever. I don't see why this should be derided more than any other luxuries of the suburban upper middle class; I think things like $90,000 SUVs and 4,500 SF houses are a lot sillier than giving your kid a nice place to live close to class during college.

Plus internationals.

The 1% has nothing to do with this. Atlanta ain't a 1%er town.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 2:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
Looks more like a "mini-me" of WTC Tower 3 by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners (formerly Richard Rogers & Partnership).

WTC Tower 3

Seligs' West Peachtree Project
This is beautiful. Is it actually being built or just a proposal?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Dorms are $4-5k per semester, basically the same as the apartments.
This is exactly right-- Sending 2 kids to college has proven to me that these luxury high rises essentially cost the same as dorms on campus. The dorm business is quite profitable, especially when you figure 2-4 persons per unit--

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:28 PM

My attempt at parsing demographics was not on target. I agree Atlanta is not really a 1% town, maybe more like 15%-70%-15%. I'm glad the consensus here is that The Standard will not try to exclusively appeal to the top niche.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 4:25 PM

The Vireo is likely named after the bird: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-throated_vireo

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Go to 0:27 in the video and help me understand what makes this project relatively "low-level" compared to other new luxury apartments. In my opinion The Standard has the largest amenity deck of any project I am aware of.

This is a fly-by video of a rendering with no details on the interior finishes or quality of the build out. I mean the amenity deck is sizable, but it is also built for 765 residents. The gallery on The Standard's website is probably a better source to grade the quality of this build out. In this case, they have granite counters with pictures showing a mix of under mount and over mount sinks. Over mount is rarely ever done in new builds, only in projects done with laminate counters, which are not done in new, market rate construction. Granite is also a step down from the quartz typically used in new construction. The interior pictures also show a low-level appliance package that, while stainless, is about as low quality as you can get. The range is an electric coil, which again, is rare in new construction as most at the minimum will do the smooth tops. The cabinets, the LVT, the carpet, the lighting package - all very low quality, entry-level sort of stuff for new construction.

I'm not saying its bad, but for what people are building these days, this is very, very low comparably. It would be hard to comment on the amenities as they aren't done and so it would be difficult to discuss their quality. They definitely have quantity on their side, which cool, but they also have a ton of people. Outside of the golf simulator and tanning services, they are all standard looking amenities, and the renderings do not indicate that they'll be on par, in terms of quality (construction & design), with new Class A towers.

Anyways, still nice for students, better than being in old dorms. There is a reason these things lease up.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:18 PM

GSU/Summerhill Updates

1. Summerhill Georgia Avenue

I don't remember if this site plan has been posted yet.

Source: http://www.boarddocs.com/ga/investat...15.17%20v3.pdf

2. Aspen Atlanta
Quote:
Aspen Heights Partner’s vision is to create a 220 unit off-campus student housing project comprised of 680 beds, which offer residents value through access to GSU and its new stadium while including best in class amenities.

Source: http://www.boarddocs.com/ga/investat...15-17%20v2.pdf

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:36 PM

All hideously bad imo. It's like the Capitol Homes redevelopment all over again.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Recent picture of Mercedez-Benz stadium with the roof open:
What does this look like from the outside?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
What does this look like from the outside?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
1. Summerhill Georgia Avenue

I don't remember if this site plan has been posted yet.

Source: http://www.boarddocs.com/ga/investat...15.17%20v3.pdf

2. Aspen Atlanta

Source: http://www.boarddocs.com/ga/investat...15-17%20v2.pdf
Good solid infill development-- Using existing fabric.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
All hideously bad imo. It's like the Capitol Homes redevelopment all over again.
I agree T-50 this is bullshit! This is why I was hoping GA State would not succeed in getting the Turner Field land. Considering GA State and Carter basically stole this land at $425K an acre, I think we all have reason to be extremely critical of their architectural (or lack of) design direction.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I agree T-50 this is bullshit! This is why I was hoping GA State would not succeed in getting the Turner Field land. Considering GA State and Carter basically stole this land at $425K an acre, I think we all have reason to be extremely critical of their architectural (or lack of) design direction.
You realize the first plan is mostly existing small scale retail buildings on Georgia Ave., right. Shown here in rendering form before to some praise--

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 9:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
You realize the first plan is mostly existing small scale retail buildings on Georgia Ave., right. Shown here in rendering form before to some praise--
I actually questioned the "GA Ave retail" rendering
because it lacked the density I felt this area needed. With that said, the Perkins+Will rendering with the blimp and green roofs came before the GA Ave rendering and this new sketch (I refuse to call it a rendering) is a complete 180 from that.

Last edited by Atlanta3000; Sep 18, 2017 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
Agree. That is pretty bad. And the planned future retail not fronting Georgia Avenue is practically Fuqua-esque. Super disappointing.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Agree. That is pretty bad. And the planned future retail not fronting Georgia Avenue is practically Fuqua-esque. Super disappointing.

I'm confused by your statement. How does the retail not front Georgia Avenue, when it clearly does? Are you saying that you're not happy that future development is going on other side streets in other phases?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 1:23 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
I'm confused by your statement. How does the retail not front Georgia Avenue, when it clearly does? Are you saying that you're not happy that future development is going on other side streets in other phases?
I believe that was a reference to the area below the dashed red line labeled "Future Development." The statement that it doesn't front Georgia was an identification of that area as opposed to the retail that does front. And I agree. The rehab/restoration along Georgia Ave is the strong part of this plan. The "future development" area seems poorly done.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
the planned future retail - Everything left of the dotted line is "future development" none of which is on Georgia Avenue. This site plan bears a striking resemblance to Fuqua's "liner" retail building MO.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 1:36 PM
BANNED

No Vision Whatsoever

This plan is an utter travesty. GA State and Carter are literally starting with a blank slate and a piece of land they only paid $425K an acre. They had an opportunity to create a mid-density urban development, but they have missed the mark by a mile. Instead we (the tax payers) got FU'qua. SERIOUSLY - I am the last person to bitch about parking, but I count 7 parking lots over the 4 blocks.

Last edited by Atlanta3000; Sep 21, 2017 at 9:54 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations