HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
If that message was being put out in those words, I don't recall ever seeing it. It would come as a bit of a surprise, I imagine, for the vast numbers of people who are not accepted for immigration to Canada, or as refugees for that matter.
This is true but one cannot deny that Canada has a global reputation for being one of the most "open" western countries, at least when legal channels are concerned.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is true but one cannot deny that Canada has a global reputation for being one of the most "open" western countries, at least when legal channels are concerned.
Absolutely. I just don't like shorthand that seems to forget the rule of law.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:25 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
If that message was being put out in those words, I don't recall ever seeing it. It would come as a bit of a surprise, I imagine, for the vast numbers of people who are not accepted for immigration to Canada, or as refugees for that matter.
It doesn't mean we accept anyone - it means that we accept people no matter their religious or ethnic background.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:26 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Absolutely. I just don't like shorthand that seems to forget the rule of law.
I don't think that anyone has forgotten that.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I don't think that anyone has forgotten that.
I was wondering about that question as well.

No one has talked about changing or shirking on established Canadians laws and processes with respect to this issue.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:09 PM
BANNED

This article seems to suggest:
1) Not all asylum seekers with criminal backgrounds are deemed "criminally inadmissible"
2) Not all asylum seekers with criminal backgrounds are detained until their hearing
3) Not all asylum seekers deemed "criminally inadmissible" are detained until they are deported

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada...0m&ocid=HPCDHP

Tbh, I'm not surprised by any of this. EU countries were until recently, quite fine with just anyone wondering in and requesting asylum. Their experience should be a wakeup call for us here in Canada. It will be interesting to see how the Canadian public and government react to and handle the situation as it continues to evolve.

So far I am actually impressed by the CBC's frank coverage that seems to keep common people's interests and viewpoints in mind. A lot more than can be said of many EU news agencies. They seem to favor their governments' liberal policies and a globalist world view over the concerns of the ordinary citizen.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
This article seems to suggest:
1) Not all asylum seekers with criminal backgrounds are deemed "criminally inadmissible"
2) Not all asylum seekers with criminal backgrounds are detained until their hearing
3) Not all asylum seekers deemed "criminally inadmissible" are detained until they are deported

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada...0m&ocid=HPCDHP

Tbh, I'm not surprised by any of this. EU countries were until recently, quite fine with just anyone wondering in and requesting asylum. Their experience should be a wakeup call for us here in Canada. It will be interesting to see how the Canadian public and government react to and handle the situation as it continues to evolve.

So far I am actually impressed by the CBC's frank coverage that seems to keep common people's interests and viewpoints in mind. A lot more than can be said of many EU news agencies. They seem to favor their governments' liberal policies and a globalist world view over the concerns of the ordinary citizen.
That report makes it pretty clear that only those deemed a threat to public safety are detained. This is not an issue of liberlism or globalism or any other "ism" other than pragmatism - administrative detention is expensive. As for those who are eventually deported, I don't know where the line is drawn, but I believe that they must have been convicted of "serious" criminal offences (i.e. a U.S. DUI is not likely to render you inadmissible).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:28 AM
BANNED

I'm curious as to an article in CBC today that was about Saskatchewan and some asylum seekers there and how they tend to not chose that province because that province doesn't pay for anything when they come. Where as MB does pay for everything.

Wouldn't it be simple to just be like Sask? It isn't against and laws or charter of rights.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 12:15 PM
Still optimistic

It's probably also a function of distance. The nearest large population centre to either Manitoba or Saskatchewan is Minneapolis. If you're looking to head to Canada, why would you rent a car and drive 900-1000km to Saskatchewan (since there's no bus service to anywhere near the border) when you can get to Manitoba in 500km on a $50 bus ticket?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I'm curious as to an article in CBC today that was about Saskatchewan and some asylum seekers there and how they tend to not chose that province because that province doesn't pay for anything when they come. Where as MB does pay for everything.

Wouldn't it be simple to just be like Sask? It isn't against and laws or charter of rights.
To be precise, what is not paid are legal costs for refugee claims, not "everything" (exactly what Sask does/doesn't spend wrt refugee claimants, I don't know). The courts have not (yet?) deemed it unconstitutional. Whether it's good public policy is a discussion that could be had. I suppose what I'd want to know is the thinking that has led 6 of the 10 provinces to offer such legal aid.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:21 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I heard a news story on the radio where authorities at the border in Quebec were complaining that their American counterparts were deliberately leading migrants to cross the border illegally. Basically, they were leading them to the unofficial border crossing as opposed to the official one at Lacolle. At the latter "official" crossing, they'd get turned away under the safe third country provisions.

The U.S. border protection spokesman denied this, and said that their only job is to secure the border from the American side. Whatever else happens... happens.

The U.S. border guy had a wonderfully French Canadian name BTW: Normand Laguë.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:48 AM
BANNED

Seems like there are many steps that could be taken to tighten border rules and slow/control the flow of refugees. I saw another CBC article today showing that the numbers have in fact been steadily increasing month by month with the onset of spring. It will be interesting to see at what point there will be a louder outcry, when the government will take action and what action it will take. Should it ever come to that, of course.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 3:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
Seems like there are many steps that could be taken to tighten border rules and slow/control the flow of refugees. I saw another CBC article today showing that the numbers have in fact been steadily increasing month by month with the onset of spring. It will be interesting to see at what point there will be a louder outcry, when the government will take action and what action it will take. Should it ever come to that, of course.
Could we stop calling them refugees. People with simple minds think that they are like the actual true to the word Syrian refugees with nothing left.

It's been noted that these so called refugees from the ( USA ) have money and are just leaving their first country they chose to migrate to since some idiot is in power. This is why these people have mostly criminal records. Where as the Syrians have been checked long before they set foot on a plane to Canada.

These Asylum seekers are just cheats and should all be turned around IMO. They take away from the ones that actually go through proper channels to get into Canada and these cheats are a burden on our society. Our RCMP have better shit to do then hold these people's hands every night.

Trumps changing all these rules. Change this stupid one that allows them in ans we cannot send them back.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:56 AM

Regina woman charged with human smuggling after 9 asylum seekers intercepted at border

Michelle Omoruyi, 43, arrested after 4-month police investigation

CBC News Posted: Apr 19, 2017 9:13 AM CT Last Updated: Apr 19, 2017 2:10 PM CT

A Regina woman is facing charges after a four-month investigation into human smuggling.

On Friday, RCMP stopped nine foreign nationals on the Canadian border between the North Portal, N.D., and Northgate ports of entry.

Police arrested Michelle Omoruyi, 43, who was driving a vehicle with the nine people in it.

She has been charged with one count of human smuggling under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and one count of conspiracy to commit human smuggling.

The nine people weren't harmed, and were all taken into custody by the Canada Border Services Agency. They have since been released.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...sask-1.4075498

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:58 AM

lol they went through the trouble to blur this in the article

and then at the bottom of the page they show this pic for another story...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The U.S. border guy had a wonderfully French Canadian name BTW: Normand Laguë.
Seems like half the U.S. people at the three crossings I regularly use (Stanstead, Hereford, and East Hereford) have Québécois last names.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:07 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Canada and Trudeau's openness to refugees vs the USA is not obscure stuff. Both the BBC and the Economist have published numerous articles related to it in the last few months alone, often making reference to Trudeau's tweets.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:27 PM
BANNED

When one argues for open borders they should look to Paris & see how that's working out these days.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:48 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
When one argues for open borders they should look to Paris & see how that's working out these days.
Who argues for open borders?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:50 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Who argues for open borders?
By arguing against highly controlled borders, the likes of you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada