HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 6:46 PM

Steelport Redevelopment

Classic blogTO with it's overly dramatic Hamilton bashing --- However I hadnt heard or seen anything about this very interesting project on here:

https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-t...milton-stelco/

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 7:46 PM

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 10:06 PM
Ham-burgher

It's been discussed here: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...140400&page=20

But there was a Spec story today as well about how the developers have submitted the proposal to the city for review, so we'll see more and more about the specifics for sure soon. Judging by the renders posted on BlogTO I like what is proposed!

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Feb 22, 2024 at 10:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 10:18 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateittoo View Post
Classic blogTO with it's overly dramatic Hamilton bashing --- However I hadnt heard or seen anything about this very interesting project on here
I don't think it was all that disparaging to the city -- it's true that the Stelco and Dofasco lands are "foreboding" to look at (and while AM Dofasco will be undergoing its own transformation to new fuel sources which should make it a cleaner operation, its plants will likely still be there for a long time to come).

Though I do hate how the steel mills have tainted so many outsider opinions about the city. People forget that for decades these factories provided so much economic activity and materials for the country! And perspectives about heavy industry have changed.

Hopefully the outcome does come close to the vision. Having public access to parts of the waterfront on that massive square of land will be revolutionary itself... as it was more than two decades ago for the west harbour.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I don't think it was all that disparaging to the city -- it's true that the Stelco and Dofasco lands are "foreboding" to look at (and while AM Dofasco will be undergoing its own transformation to new fuel sources which should make it a cleaner operation, its plants will likely still be there for a long time to come).

Though I do hate how the steel mills have tainted so many outsider opinions about the city. People forget that for decades these factories provided so much economic activity and materials for the country! And perspectives about heavy industry have changed.

Hopefully the outcome does come close to the vision. Having public access to parts of the waterfront on that massive square of land will be revolutionary itself... as it was more than two decades ago for the west harbour.
I like the view of the factories and flames from a distance at night.

That blogTO article is kind of exaggerated: "a tired rust belt-era Hamilton, Ontario skyline as a foreboding Mordor-like hellscape spitting flames into the sky" and "Flame belching industrial wasteland"

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:

Exactly! All you should think when see those stacks is $$$$. Ore in, Steel out, Money in. They built this city.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 5:43 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:

Let them think how they do - they can keep their toxic arrogance in other cities - who do they think supplied them with the steel to make their cities - at least Hamilton people tend to be more real and down to earth - we don't put ourselves on a pedestal.

The render kinda feels like nature has reclaimed it after being abandoned 200 years later lol

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 4:28 PM

It's nice to mention and remember that the steel mills provided soo much economic benefit to the city and the country , however, at what costs ??? They completely destroyed our waterfront and huge portions of our urban fabric - they caused pollution in the environment and cancer in residents - they may be a significant part of our city but they are also a huge problem that will unfortunately mark our beautiful city for ages to come

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 7:06 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
It's nice to mention and remember that the steel mills provided soo much economic benefit to the city and the country , however, at what costs ??? They completely destroyed our waterfront and huge portions of our urban fabric - they caused pollution in the environment and cancer in residents - they may be a significant part of our city but they are also a huge problem that will unfortunately mark our beautiful city for ages to come
The price of progress I am afraid.

One would do well to remember that without those factories you wouldn't have half of hamilton - remember beach road used to be "the beach" - they infilled a lot of that bayfront park was infilled to cover up a dump - pier 8 redevelopment wouldn't exist - none of these redevelopments would exist - hamilton would be a bit smaller..

on the plus side, it would probably reflect cootes paradise a bit more - at least we have that pristine area to look out on when you cross the bridge.

Also what's the health going to be like for this "revitalized" area? Just how much remediation is going to be needed to not be inhaling cancer particles from this area or the surrounding area when you peruse it?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 8:45 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Yes, the costs have been huge. And they're ongoing and will continue into the far future. This all developed in an era when there was little understanding (or concern) about environmental impacts, and a lack of oversight. And when things changed for manufacturing of all types, the social impacts of closures and downsizing also had a huge impact that probably wasn't well understood nor was it probably something the makers of production decisions cared much about. These things do need to be kept in mind.

If not steel-making, our harbour and location would still have attracted economic activity. Whether an alternative would have been "better" is hard to say... there are so many what-ifs about many of our economic sectors and their effects on the natural environment and society. Those things do need to be acknowledged and understood.

I was merely pointing out that there's another side to all this and when people look out from the Skyway and simply see "dirty" or put Hamilton down for similar reasons they're not considering the broader perspective or even bothering to try. Same goes for the way some view "average blue-collar" Hamiltonians... a stereotype that's slowly changing but there are those who continue to disparage that group of people or think that they represent the residents of the entire city.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Feb 28, 2024 at 8:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 10:07 PM
Hamilton Historian

Honestly I see no issue with being considered "blue collar" - those people tend to be more relateable and down to earth then the trendy hipstery alternative.

I'm proud of our blue-collar roots.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 12:00 AM
Ham-burgher

There isn't an issue at all. I've just known people who have looked down on that demographic... someone in our family has a parent who says that all Hamiltonians are "hillbillies". Uh, ok. That person does have a perspective tainted by past experiences with individuals, but still... I guess that makes me one too.

I'm a Ticats fan and I've also seen many new players speak about looking forward to playing for the city's "hard-working, blue-collar, lunch-bucket fans". THF may be the one place in Hamilton where that description is the most true, but it's still a vast oversimplification that makes me wince, and I often wonder if they've been 'coached' to say that not actually knowing much about the city except that they've signed a contract to play for one of its teams. Sometimes it comes from a player who's been here a long time!

The sad thing is many people who spent 30+ years working at Stelco when it was a major employer are gone or late in their retirement. Most will not see this development or whatever version of it comes to fruition, if it does.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton