HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 9:05 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
I think this whole statement should be prefaced by
"In my opinion..."

Unless you have some references to indicate otherwise?
I can't really reference anything, but it is certainly not just my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 2:35 AM
David

wouldnt be surprised if le cheateau is just opening a 2nd location in pac Centre, they have two in Metrotown (albeit Metro is much bigger). One is unisex and one is only female clothes

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:53 AM

that old fairweather spot is huge though

but yah possibly

le chateau has also started a new store that sells shoes and accessories only - saw one in surrey i think it was it was stand alone from the regular store

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 6:47 AM

The Le Shit-hole in Pac Centre is moving downstairs, there will not be 2 stores. This is according to the staff who work in the mall. I saw the new store and it is almost finished, should be open soon.

Also the new Tim Horton's at Davie and Howe has been open for a couple of weeks now.

But a huge disappointment is the retail space at the Silver Sail on Kingfisher Mews. It was highlighted as a perfect spot for a waterfront cafe and instead has become a home gym store. You can be the strata council for this wealthy enclave was responsible for the change. Another case of NIMBYism ruining the enjoyment of the waterfront for all.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 6:56 AM

^ Sorry I meant Silver SEA on KingHORNE Mews.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 1:52 PM

Wow, looking at the pictures of the Wal-Mart at Grandview Corners, I have to say that is the hottest Wal-Mart I've ever seen. If Wal-Marts could be considered hot.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 2:12 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ Have you been to it yet? It is turly amazing and huge!!
Way better than the newer one on Grandview HWY

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
^ Have you been to it yet? It is turly amazing and huge!!
Way better than the newer one on Grandview HWY
The Grandview Hwy was jammed in ASAP into the old Costco space. The floors are still concrete, which is weird. That doesn't stop it from being busy of course.

Who knew there was a "grandview corners" out in South Surrey?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 3:41 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The Grandview Hwy was jammed in ASAP into the old Costco space. The floors are still concrete, which is weird. That doesn't stop it from being busy of course.

Who knew there was a "grandview corners" out in South Surrey?
See the highlighted part....that's what everyone has been talking about. That store needs more light to light up the dark and ugly concrete floor. I heard that they are considering another place for the Supercentre and this one is only temporary? Who knows?

You didn't know about the one in South Surrey? Give it a visit...it was in the news!

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:04 PM
loafing in lotusland

I think they just wanted a foothold into Vancouver. Once they are in the city, it's easier for city council to acquiesce and give them the location they want.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:11 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ Good point...any idea of the future location?

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:28 PM

Quote:
See the highlighted part....that's what everyone has been talking about. That store needs more light to light up the dark and ugly concrete floor. I heard that they are considering another place for the Supercentre and this one is only temporary? Who knows?

You didn't know about the one in South Surrey? Give it a visit...it was in the news!
Sorry I meant the whole complex called "Grandview Corners". Very suburban USA in name and style. Plus where is the "Grandview" around South Surrey?

Not much chance of me visiting that location since I'm walking distance from the Vancouver one.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:30 PM

Quote:
^ Good point...any idea of the future location?
They still own the land on Marine Drive, I'm sure they are pushing for that. The revenue strapped COV should go for it, but who knows with VV/COPE at the wheel.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:55 PM

how can the city legally discriminate against wal-mart? why do they allow other stores to be built, home depot, costco but not wal-mart? what are the reasons they give for not approving the wal-mart on marine drive?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 6:07 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Sorry I meant the whole complex called "Grandview Corners". Very suburban USA in name and style. Plus where is the "Grandview" around South Surrey?

Not much chance of me visiting that location since I'm walking distance from the Vancouver one.
It's on the intersection...160th street and 24th Ave
Hwy 99 would get you there....I believe it's exit 8B.

You would be amazed if you visit this one...way larger.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
how can the city legally discriminate against wal-mart? why do they allow other stores to be built, home depot, costco but not wal-mart? what are the reasons they give for not approving the wal-mart on marine drive?
They can't.
They can only discriminate on sound planning principles (i.e. zoning bylaws, traffic impacts, etc.) the reports for which came out in support of the project. The COPE council of the day rejected the rezoning despite it meeting the requirements under the "discretionary" zoning allowing highway oriented retail on SE Marine Drive. The Canadian Tire project a few parcels away was collateral damage at the time - both projects were rejected (otherwise, allowing Canadian Tire and rejected Wal-Mart would have clearly invited a discrimination lawsuit from Wal-Mart).
Now that the Canadian Tire project on SE Marine Drive has been approved (I think it has, hasn't it?) - it should be clear sailing for Wal-Mart whenever it decides to reapply for the re-zoning (given that planning reports support the rezoning).

Ultimately, a rezoning for big box retail should be made without regard to who the tenant will be. Retail tenants come and go. i.e. All of the current big box spaces occupied by Petcetera will now be occupied by another retailer. That's the process that occured at The Rise - and that's why Home Depot was able to move in there (as opposed to the rezoning @ Arbutus) - the zoning was in place before the tenants were found.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 9:09 PM
Dérive-r

Quote:
That is what I was wondering. I lived in South Surrey for most of my life and I'm not familiar with anything there called Grandview anything. I'm guessing it is just some generic name given to the area since there was pretty much nothing there a few years ago. Actually I believe the area had a driving range and a barn which is kind of sad cause I used to go to that driving range back in the day. Took some golf lessons there when I was little. It looks completely unrecognizable now. Gross sprawl. It has a great concentration of retail now but it would have been a lot better if it could've been put into some real urban development in Semiahmoo Town Centre instead of this Disneyfied faux-urban highstreet garbage.

And the Wal-Mart there is a gross form of development. And I don't mean to sound like a snob but the one time I went there to check it out you immediately realize you're in the realm of a different subculture. It was full of old white people and... well... rednecks to put it bluntly. The kind of white "rural" working class from Cloverdale, the rural east of South Surrey (east of the highway) and Langley. It felt like I'd just walked into a Wal-Mart in rural Texas. It was actually one of the weirdest experiences I've had as of late. It was surprisingly very noticeable to both me and my mother whom I went there with. Perhaps we're just too conditioned to the upper-middle-class demographics of the Peninsula and the multi-cultural, non-rural demographics of Vancouver.

I also went to the ULounge a couple weeks back and that was another weird experience. It looks quite nice inside, like something that should be in Yaletown, but it just felt so out of place, especially when you look across the street to see Montana's Cookhouse which has a wooden exterior made to look like some sort of old western saloon or something. Like I said, the area is just a little too Disneyfied. It also seems a bit counterintuitive to have a drinking establishment in the middle of one of the most car-oriented new developments in the Metro. I don't know what the transit is like there but I can't imagine it is very good, if there is even any at all.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 9:16 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post

And the Wal-Mart there is a gross form of development. And I don't mean to sound like a snob but the one time I went there to check it out you immediately realize you're in the realm of a different subculture. It was full of old white people and... well... rednecks to put it bluntly. The kind of white "rural" working class from Cloverdale, the rural east of South Surrey (east of the highway) and Langley. It felt like I'd just walked into a Wal-Mart in rural Texas. It was actually one of the weirdest experiences I've had as of late. It was surprisingly very noticeable to both me and my mother whom I went there with. Perhaps we're just too conditioned to the upper-middle-class demographics of the Peninsula and the multi-cultural, non-rural demographics of Vancouver.

Raggedy, you are right and I believe that eveyone there would notice that.
Vancouver is already very multi-cultural and we are used to it. When you suddenly visit places like cloverdale or South Surrey where some old people move their for their retirement...you would notice that this is a distinct area that doesn't belong to the general Vancouver culture.

As for Grandview? I am not sure what you are asking about. I know that the retail development site is called Grandview Corners and the local name for that area is Morgan Heights.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 9:23 PM

the walmart at Guildford mall is suppossed to become a "super centre" when they demolish it - if that ever happens - and reopen it

also there is suppossed to be a super centre going in Poco near the costco? or something in that area - maybe the new "triangle" by the bridge?

grandview corners should be a good place this summer for those in surrey to shop - it will be all open and has some stuff most in the area had to drive very far to reach in the past

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
That is what I was wondering. I lived in South Surrey for most of my life and I'm not familiar with anything there called Grandview anything. I'm guessing it is just some generic name given to the area since there was pretty much nothing there a few years ago. Actually I believe the area had a driving range and a barn which is kind of sad cause I used to go to that driving range back in the day. Took some golf lessons there when I was little. It looks completely unrecognizable now. Gross sprawl. It has a great concentration of retail now but it would have been a lot better if it could've been put into some real urban development in Semiahmoo Town Centre instead of this Disneyfied faux-urban highstreet garbage.

I also went to the ULounge a couple weeks back and that was another weird experience. It looks quite nice inside, like something that should be in Yaletown, but it just felt so out of place, especially when you look across the street to see Montana's Cookhouse which has a wooden exterior made to look like some sort of old western saloon or something. Like I said, the area is just a little too Disneyfied. It also seems a bit counterintuitive to have a drinking establishment in the middle of one of the most car-oriented new developments in the Metro. I don't know what the transit is like there but I can't imagine it is very good, if there is even any at all.
its not that bad geez

but if you want to be among the whites in Canada go to a movie in langley all white people - kinda the opposite to going to a movie on burrard

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy