HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:37 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Thorne will make it 6 floors with 2 parking per unit.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
fantastic design....would be awesome to get something other than a flat roof skyline.
2 years ago this would have no problem passing city hall...in fact, it would have been praised.
Sadly, the NIMBYs are in control now....
It's hard for me to not be a little resentful of Lamb for coming in and inducing an immune response in the DNA over what is still IMO an inappropriate place for the most radical new design and density in generations. He probably got CHCH for a song and liked that the neighborhood was turnkey compared to the northern core in terms of redevelopment. I'm not going to argue with the business case there but if he really sees potential in this city it would have been nice if he just spent 20 million on a surface parking lot or even used that carwash he got on Main and avoid all this NIMBY BS for himself and everyone else.

Especially if it's all for nothing and he ends up settling for the new height limit, he has cost us developments like this one on the LRT route where it makes sense, at least until there's more out of town interest once it gets under construction.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:27 PM

there was a time when this would've been on the cover of the Spec. LRTfan is right NIMBYs are in control now.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 6:23 PM
Hamilton Historian

source

I wouldn't mind the colour if say this block had a bunch of these types of towers all different class colours - then it'd look kinda innovative.

I am liking the roof, but this feels more like a fantasy design. We'll see what ACTUALLY gets built here.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 10:42 PM
Great White Norf

I was wondering why 20/22 George has the big blank wall. Now it makes complete sense.

Go Vrancor Go!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
I was wondering why 20/22 George has the big blank wall. Now it makes complete sense.

Go Vrancor Go!
To the victors go the spoils. Wish he could keep on building, no real competition, a lot of posers in the Hammer.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 1:38 AM

I can't imagine how certain people in Hamilton believe that every other huge successful progressive and prosperous city in the world is wrong but they are right .... Block development because it blocks the views and creates traffic .... And yet ...let's keep surface parking lots and vacant buildings because they are just the way things go around here and change is scary

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:15 AM

Surface parking lots are slowly becoming a thing of the past for Hamilton. The city has sold almost half a dozen lots in the downtown core and is making a conscious effort for garages(wheater publicly or privately owned). More city owned lots are to be deemed surplus in the future.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 4:10 AM

I wouldn't mind the height limit as much if they had a height minimum as well. Forcing g development to conform to 4-20 storeys and a more European feel with designs that actually look good like the ones proposed in the Burlington thread with some colour and cool designs. But Hamilton would rather push for more suburbia in Elfrida.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 2:33 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post

Go Vrancor Go!
Yeah it was always meant to be "plugged into" - although the side on the south east of the building is still going to show as bare concrete no matter what, unless they demolish that newly renovated building next door to it - which is rather unsettling, almost like they planned for that in future..

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anactualalien View Post
It's hard for me to not be a little resentful of Lamb for coming in and inducing an immune response in the DNA over what is still IMO an inappropriate place for the most radical new design and density in generations. He probably got CHCH for a song and liked that the neighborhood was turnkey compared to the northern core in terms of redevelopment. I'm not going to argue with the business case there but if he really sees potential in this city it would have been nice if he just spent 20 million on a surface parking lot or even used that carwash he got on Main and avoid all this NIMBY BS for himself and everyone else.

Especially if it's all for nothing and he ends up settling for the new height limit, he has cost us developments like this one on the LRT route where it makes sense, at least until there's more out of town interest once it gets under construction.
Respectfully I disagree fully on this.
Hamilton's lower city has shrunk for 45 straight years....that is not Brad Lamb's fault, the DNA's fault or any other scapegoat group.... fault lies 110% with City Hall.
We've had an anti-business, NDP-type crowd running this city forever and the results are plain as day to see.
Every city on earth has small groups of whiny babies. Hamilton is one of the only ones who actually lets them run the show.
There is zero leadership or vision at city hall.
And until Hamiltonians stop pretending to be offended everytime someone points it out, it'll never change.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 3:27 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Respectfully I disagree fully on this.
Hamilton's lower city has shrunk for 45 straight years....that is not Brad Lamb's fault, the DNA's fault or any other scapegoat group.... fault lies 110% with City Hall.
We've had an anti-business, NDP-type crowd running this city forever and the results are plain as day to see.
Every city on earth has small groups of whiny babies. Hamilton is one of the only ones who actually lets them run the show.
And until Hamiltonians stop pretending to be offended everytime someone points it out, it'll never change.
Don't blame the NDP. They have never had more than a quarter of members of council. On the other hand in Toronto they have dominated city council and the city has thrived.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
I agree with this completely. City Hall has no vision for a better Hamilton. They think making Hamilton better means gentrification and pushing out all of the poor people to make way for nice new shiny wealthy people.

That's not what getting better means. It means both improving areas, which is love it or hate it, gentrification, AND doing something for the lower income people in this city. Hamilton would rather keep the city shitty, so they don't have to deal with underlying issues like homelessness, drug addiction, mental health and other ills of society that we refuse to acknowledge. Yet Everytime Malleum fixes something up, they praise it as bringing new life, while completely contradicting everything they said they stand for. Mealleum can fix things, but city hall also needs to realize that things don't get nicer without getting more expensive.

Instead of approving things, they deny everything and are weirdly proud of it. The city has denied more condos downtown than they've approved in like 20 years. Hamilton's downtown desperately needs educated people to bring jobs, and continue the upward swing, but the city would rather deny it, than deal with the reality that they would need to actually improve housing for lower income individuals and transit, and bicycle lanes.

Look at Cannon. The most used cycle track in the city is going to be closed from May - August for Cannon repaving to allow for cars to continue using it. Love it or hate it, the Cannon cycle track has been a complete success, and yet for the peak period they're just saying, "find another place to cycle". The cycle lanes is a vanity project for them, to put on econ dev ads rather than an actual piece of infrastructure.

City Hall doesn't want change, it means having g to put in effort.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 3:57 PM

EcDev is a disaster. I would like to call out the marketing dude. Nothing but fancy "unstoppable" ads, when it reality they stop everything.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 7:20 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Yeah it was always meant to be "plugged into" - although the side on the south east of the building is still going to show as bare concrete no matter what, unless they demolish that newly renovated building next door to it - which is rather unsettling, almost like they planned for that in future..
If it's going to become nothing more than an alleyway (if not very closely abutting the proposed new podium; perhaps even attached) why does it matter if it's a concrete wall?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post

Look at Cannon. The most used cycle track in the city is going to be closed from May - August for Cannon repaving to allow for cars to continue using it. Love it or hate it, the Cannon cycle track has been a complete success, and yet for the peak period they're just saying, "find another place to cycle". The cycle lanes is a vanity project for them, to put on econ dev ads rather than an actual piece of infrastructure.

City Hall doesn't want change, it means having g to put in effort.
I use the Cannon cycle track often. It's in horrible shape. It's getting an upgrade. How else would it be improved without closing it? Construction means sacrifice.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
If it's going to become nothing more than an alleyway (if not very closely abutting the proposed new podium; perhaps even attached) why does it matter if it's a concrete wall?
I think he means the part thats visible from Bay st above and behind the Textile building.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 8:05 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
I think he means the part thats visible from Bay st above and behind the Textile building.
It's still an alleyway. And sure to be blocked in by something if not the Mac grad residence proposal, plus whatever the remaining parking lot on the NW corner of Bay/George becomes.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
I use the Cannon cycle track often. It's in horrible shape. It's getting an upgrade. How else would it be improved without closing it? Construction means sacrifice.
Not to derail the thread, but Cannon will still be open, but only to cars. 2 lanes on the North side while they pave the south side, then the opposite. Westbound lanes are being reduced by 3 when they add LRT, but they can't even reduce it by 2 while Cannon gets repaved. It shows Hamilton isn't serious about cycling infrastructure that they don't even have an official detour route planned.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It's still an alleyway. And sure to be blocked in by something if not the Mac grad residence proposal, plus whatever the remaining parking lot on the NW corner of Bay/George becomes.
Oh I understand. I'm not offended by a bit of exposed concrete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton