HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 10:44 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Wow this is classy, I like it and well suited for the area.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 6:47 PM

Is there ground level retail?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 7:35 PM
It's a nickname from work

Based on the amount of ground floor doors in the rendering, I'd say so. Didn't the owners say something about incorporating another bowling alley?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:35 AM

My childhood neighbourhood as well, thankfully this looks like it has morphed into a reasonable and decent looking proposal. Hope it moves forward.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:19 AM
Forever forward.

UrbanSolutions' microsite for this proposal is now online. I have some... uhh... thoughts... about the proposal, but for this post, I'll just bring forward some content.

Architect is KNYMH. The height of the midrise is 12 storeys, or 45.5 metres to the top of the mechanical penthouse.

470 units total. 384 in the midrise, of which 162 are 1 bedroom units, 123 are 1 bedroom + den units, 61 are 2 bedroom units, and the remaining 40 are 3 bedroom units. The 84 units in the stacked townhomes are all 2 bedroom units.

The proposal includes 2070 m2 of commercial space in the midrise. However, 1393 m2 of that is for a replacement bowling alley, and it takes up about 80% of the ground floor frontage along Fennell. The other 677 m2 of commercial space is along Upper Ottawa.

Here are the renderings:

This rendering is the same as the one a couple posts above... but they've replaced the gas station across the street with a fake park:

This was the only rendering I could find of the townhouses:

Now onto the elevations of the midrise.

An inspired (/s) material palette:

South (Fennell Avenue) elevation:

North elevation:

East (Upper Ottawa Street) elevation:

West elevation:

Finally for this post, I want to bring forward the site plan, and the first and second floor plans:

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 12:53 PM

I have never bothered to check but does this city not have minimums for landscaped areas? If NIMBYs want to complain, then lack of shade, trees, etc with an increase in localized temperatures is quite valid.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 5:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

Proposed mixed-use development at former Sherwood Centre to be discussed by Hamilton councillors
The proposed development will include a 12-storey building, 34 town houses no more than two-storeys.

https://www.thespec.com/news/propose...ce1a183e9.html

It may not be what many east Mountain residents living near the former Sherwood Centre on Fennell Avenue East want, says Ward 6 Coun. Tom Jackson, but the proposed residential development may be more palatable than previous plans.

After five years of discussions, public meetings and negotiations, the Burlington-based Elite MD Group is proposing a 12-storey, 394-mixed-unit building, plus 34 townhouses that will be no more than two storeys on the former Sherwood Centre at the corner of Upper Ottawa Street. The number of units has been shaved from 470 to 428. The planning committee is scheduled to discuss the application at its July 11 meeting.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
It may not be what many east Mountain residents living near the former Sherwood Centre on Fennell Avenue East want but it's what the city needs, says Ward 6 Coun. Tom Jackson, but the proposed residential development may be more palatable than previous plans.
Fixed it. There's a housing crisis. NIMBYism is truly embarrassing.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 8:26 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Fixed it. There's a housing crisis. NIMBYism is truly embarrassing.
It is. People seem to like to say they support intensification... just not anywhere near their homes.

This guy in particular needs some valium and a smack in the head. Unfortunately it's probably a common cry for long-tenured homeowners all across town.

Quote:
But Drazen Spehar remained opposed to the proposal, emphatically stating he will be one of several homeowners directly impacted by the townhouses proposed.

“You are destroying our lives,” said Spehar, who lives on Rendell Boulevard. “You are destroying my livelihood. It’s not going to provide the value to my house.”

Spehar said he has worked hard over 30 years to create his home and told the development proponents: “You have someone destroying my home.” Spehar asked if the city was going to compensate him for the loss of his home’s property value.

He remained skeptical that a 20-metre setback from his home, along with a fence and other buffering options, including trees and bushes, would provide any protection.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 10:55 PM

It’s especially hilarious to me as the existing condition is a parking lot falling apart - instead he’ll be getting some nice 2-storey new townhouses with 23 foot deep backyards full of grass and trees. It’ll be a far better facing condition than existing, and the midrise is so far away from the existing residential units it’s really not a problem.

In terms of intensification sites this is actually a really good one to back on to.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 12:09 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
It’s especially hilarious to me as the existing condition is a parking lot falling apart - instead he’ll be getting some nice 2-storey new townhouses with 23 foot deep backyards full of grass and trees. It’ll be a far better facing condition than existing, and the midrise is so far away from the existing residential units it’s really not a problem.

In terms of intensification sites this is actually a really good one to back on to.
Totally true.

The home he has spent more than 30 years to create will probably be worth much more after this is built.

And if his neighbours share the sentiment he's expressed, I think it may be the people living in the new development that may need the "protection" of buffers the most.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 9:12 PM

I noticed that the Honest Lawyer was open on Saturday, but then closed on the Sunday (New Year's Eve) and hasn't been open since, although I haven't looked today. Wondering if the lease ended. Crazy Bill's next door also had their lease end in December.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I noticed that the Honest Lawyer was open on Saturday, but then closed on the Sunday (New Year's Eve) and hasn't been open since, although I haven't looked today. Wondering if the lease ended. Crazy Bill's next door also had their lease end in December.
Google shows it as "Permanently Closed". A friend does his off-track betting there. Now there's only one off-track left, in Stoney Creek.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton