HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 1:53 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Ya that's very understandable! However, this project (to me at least) does seem a step above most recent projects and actually appears to be a quality proposal and design
Never judge a mediocre project by the less worthy when there are better ones to compare to. And to be clear here I only have an issue with the at grade first 2-3 stories - the rest imo is fine. It's hard to be innovative with balcony stuff. It's the giant cookie cutter/ellen faircloudesque brick monolith entrances I have an issue with. Don't be fooled by the glossy renderings - brick never looks like that when it's done.

Compare to legends like Liuna and Core urban who are currently rebuilding the gore buildings and the downtown.

I get that we need all types downtown - I just really hate where our trend is going. If it wasn't for the 2 aformentioned architectural firms every single new build would be cookie cutter plastic soulless geometric shapes with windows punched in. It's not a good feeling for us.

-----

Noone is going to come here 100 years from now to look at any of these buildings like they did those built a century ago, but a little bit or architectural detail never gets old. That's why all these buildings that are 100-200 years old are getting revitalized instead of just torn down, because they have architectural details worth preserving. Can you say the same for the design for this one?

It's brick walls with windows punched in. No lintels, no stone, no architectural designs of any kind. To add insult to injury they could even use concrete precast panels with stamped brick on them like they did at king and queen.

We may not be able to stop it, but by god we are not laymen here - we are ALL here because we HIGHLY value architectural design, so it is well within our right to call out shoddy craftsmanship when we see it, esp when we have seen decades worth of other stuff to compare it to, both in the past and current.

I know this may not be an architecturally "significant" building - I mean it's tucked away - but when you look at the buildings that are literally everywhere in this city from the past - they ALL had something architecturally ambitious or beautiful about them, and not only that, do you know why people come and film in this city? It's not for the modern crap they build - it's for all the old historic buildings. Character is not dead, and the way to get with the times is not to strip every ounce of character out of everything we build just for the sake of size.

Take the render below - and cover the building on the right that is existing with your hand - ist is actually the building next door that actually makes the new design seem better - without it - it's just a boring brick entrance.

Now look at the back of it - the building on the left looks like the same people who made the ellen faircloud building made it - it's a brick monster lol.

Still, the gunmetal grey brick COULD be worse - at least they have some sorta design on the top and there seems to be some grates and balcony glass, but it's still evokes a bit of an "ugh".

Anyways I've said my piece - old man rant done haha. Also are those stone lintels on the ellen faircloud back building on the left? I can't really even tell.. if so it's very unusual to recess them that way.. and to have them at the top instead of the bottom..

also I will give them credit, if you look really closely above and below the windows they appear to have turned the brick on its end and have the brick going up and down instead of across - but still -we're capable of more fancy brick design - and before anyone says "we don't have the skilled labour for that" - bullshit - it's placing brick ffs not rocketscience.

(also for those pissed that I may be being pessimistic and picking this design apart - that is LITERALLY what this forum is for - is to add critique, as well as show progress pics and debate it lol - that and I am one of the few people here with an architectural background and not just going off how i feel hehe)

Last edited by Chronamut; Nov 20, 2020 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post

also I will give them credit, if you look really closely above and below the windows they appear to have turned the brick on its end and have the brick going up and down instead of across - but still -we're capable of more fancy brick design - and before anyone says "we don't have the skilled labour for that" - bullshit - it's placing brick ffs not rocketscience.
Especially since all brick is not structural anymore. Even structural brickwork isn't perfect in the old buildings. I'm always kind of a amazed they stay standing to be honest.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 3:44 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Especially since all brick is not structural anymore. Even structural brickwork isn't perfect in the old buildings. I'm always kind of a amazed they stay standing to be honest.
I think it's because many had multiple layers of brick - so the ones behind acted as structure while the ones in front were more decorative. We have some great examples of brick patterning in the downtown left over. Heck even the new facades that were just finished on arliss shoes building and the one beside it have some nice brickwork on them.

Although it does say something that these buildings are 100-200 years old and aside from some wear and tear and staining are still relatively intact.

I esp. love when they add stone and different coloured brick as well. And it's not like we don't have the colours - we have the still functional brick factory on lawrence rd that is still pumping out different coloured bricks to this day!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 12:13 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Personally I love the overall design, colour scheme and height here. I would just like to see a few architectural details added to pay homage to the city and or street here. This colour and brick design would be perfect to incorporate some industrial look at the podium level with some steel beam work or railway rails to keep with the theme of Ferguson Ave. Nothing too crazy just some details or whimsy to make it's mark on the city!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 7:31 PM

The dark/blackish colour of of brick is all the rage now! Just drive through a new subdivision.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Personally I love the overall design, colour scheme and height here. I would just like to see a few architectural details added to pay homage to the city and or street here. This colour and brick design would be perfect to incorporate some industrial look at the podium level with some steel beam work or railway rails to keep with the theme of Ferguson Ave. Nothing too crazy just some details or whimsy to make it's mark on the city!
I worry that the dark colour may not be in the final product as the material sheet shows that dark brick as being almost a yellow brick now.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 8:46 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I worry that the dark colour may not be in the final product as the material sheet shows that dark brick as being almost a yellow brick now.
if you look closely at the render the brick isn't dark at all - its actually the mortar and outer edges of the brick that make it look dark - each individual brick is almost a weathered white inside with a bit of a darker rim edge, just like the materials sheet.

Also the floor plans show it a bit better:

the brick is more that weathered white finish look they do to antique furniture.

compare it to each individual brick close up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
and yeah that's the general consensus here - the podium is a bit too.. modular and plain - esp. with the building next door - needs some sorta architectural element imo. I still have a really hard time with that red brick part - it just feels ugly. It feels like the back of a building right beside an entrance to a building.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 5:44 PM

The entire property is now clad in plywood. Demolition soon?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 2:46 AM
Forever forward.

Hoarding up, perhaps they're gearing up for demolition. Pictures from this afternoon:

In case you're curious, the orange notice in the first picture is just referring to the Committee of Adjustment application on the site that was dealt with last week.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 3:23 AM

Is there a link for pre-sales on this project yet ?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Is there a link for pre-sales on this project yet ?
Just got this ad, looks like it's still in registration:

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 4:46 AM

Saw this in my Instagram feed....354 units - that is quite a few!

www.allaccess-homes.com/project/1-jarvis/

QUICK FACTS
Developer: Emblem Developments
Address: 1 Jarvis St, Hamilton
Nearest Intersection: King William St & Wellington St N
Occupancy: Anticipated For 2023
Pricing: From the High $300’s
Storeys / Suites: 15 Storeys / 354 Suites
Suite Types: One Bedroom – Three Bedroom Suites
Square Footage: TBA
Maintenance Fees: TBA
Deposit Structure: TBA
Incentives*: Platinum VIP Pricing & Floor Plans, First Access to the Best Availability, Capped Development Levies, Assignment, Leasing & Property Management Services Available, Free Lawyer Review of Your Purchase Agreement, Free Mortgage Arrangements
Suite Finishes: Laminate Flooring, Stone Kitchen Countertops, Stainless Steel Kitchen Appliances, Stacked Washer & Dryer and more
Building Amenities: TBA

http://www.emblemdevcorp.com/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:10 AM
Hamilton Historian

This is a great render of the area:

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 5:19 PM
Ham-burgher

Very nice view.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:13 PM
It's a nickname from work

Jarvis st. needs some work, doesn't it?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
Jarvis st. needs some work, doesn't it?
In what sense?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
In what sense?
It's just very incoherent, isn't it? It's a service street with a parking lot where a building used to be, but the parking lot doesn't blend well with it's surroundings, so altogether it's messy and disjointed, and not in a good way. It can't just be woonerf'd either, since with the 2 new condos going up there'll still need to be a service street.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 8:25 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
It's just very incoherent, isn't it? It's a service street with a parking lot where a building used to be, but the parking lot doesn't blend well with it's surroundings, so altogether it's messy and disjointed, and not in a good way. It can't just be woonerf'd either, since with the 2 new condos going up there'll still need to be a service street.
I've always found that clock to be an oddity. It's dedicated to those lost in wars, but it's a target for tagging and deserves to be in a park instead.

With development picking up in the eastern downtown, I can see someone buying that lot from the city and putting up a 3 or 4 storey building facing King, with commercial on the first floor and rentals above. E.g., Core Urban could do something really nice there.

Trying to exit that lot onto King isn't easy either, even if the light at Wellington is red and there's a break in traffic, there can be a lot of pedestrians (and scooters) and the building on the west side creates a blind angle. The few times I've parked there I ended up leaving via Jarvis instead.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 12:21 AM

^I'd like to see it turned into a proper square.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 1:27 AM

This might just be one of the only times I'd decide against a public space, but only because it's 1 block from a public space on both sides It needs a new building, because this is the 1 missing tooth in an otherwise unbroken streetwall, from Wellington all the way to James! I do like the idea of putting that clock in a park, because It's actually not that bad now that I look at it... Imagine it in Wellington Square where that fountain is now.

That Denninger's lot needs some work too

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton