HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 6:07 PM

I love the infill that this project represents.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 8:49 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher_of_cats View Post
I love the infill that this project represents.

There are a MULTITUDE of properties all across the city that are ripe for something of this scale... including within the former "suburban" municipalities.

Even just 3-4 storey buildings on many of them would be worthwhile, never mind 6 floors.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 10:51 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post

There are a MULTITUDE of properties all across the city that are ripe for something of this scale... including within the former "suburban" municipalities.

Even just 3-4 storey buildings on many of them would be worthwhile, never mind 6 floors.
Personally I'd rather leave them to core urban so all those spots don't just get filled with generic cookie cutter box designs hehe..

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I feel like we don't know much about this project. Thought I'd get an aerial shot of it.

Great aerial photo of a great project. This is exactly the kind of infill I wish were permitted as of right throughout the city in a block's proximity to any local arterial street or commercial area. It's taller than its neighbouring detached single family homes, no doubt, but it is well proportioned and with a deft design hand and good execution by the builders, this type of building would be a very natural-feeling addition to the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
l I'd rather leave them to core urban so all those spots don't just get filled with generic cookie cutter box designs..
I would disagree in respect to the housing issue that currently exists. Builds like these seemingly go up rapidly so leaving it all up to one developer would certainly be inefficient.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 9:19 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettisam View Post
I would disagree in respect to the housing issue that currently exists. Builds like these seemingly go up rapidly so leaving it all up to one developer would certainly be inefficient.
There isn't an issue of housing - there is an issue of AFFORDABLE housing - there are PLENTY of places to live in - NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING that is built in the downtown core will EVER be "affordable". The 1800 days of people living on top of the businesses is more or less gone - now you have to have money to live down there, or someone has to pay for it for you. There are some airbnbs granted there not all regular units but generally, anything new is going to cost an arm and a leg down there, and if you're going to build something that costs an arm and a leg to live in, it SHOULD look good, at least in the core - if you wanna build cookie cutter vranich style stuff all else throughout the city then sure go ahead - but leave the core looking classy please.

Basically all I want is the core to be classy - it's our core, we need to have showcase buildings that make our city feel like a proper city - I have no issue with infill projects literally everywhere else - just leave us the core for "core" urban please lol

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 11:25 PM

Quote:
There isn't an issue of housing - there is an issue of AFFORDABLE housing - there are PLENTY of places to live in - NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING that is built in the downtown core will EVER be "affordable". The 1800 days of people living on top of the businesses is more or less gone - now you have to have money to live down there, or someone has to pay for it for you. There are some airbnbs granted there not all regular units but generally, anything new is going to cost an arm and a leg down there, and if you're going to build something that costs an arm and a leg to live in, it SHOULD look good, at least in the core - if you wanna build cookie cutter vranich style stuff all else throughout the city then sure go ahead - but leave the core looking classy please.

Basically all I want is the core to be classy - it's our core, we need to have showcase buildings that make our city feel like a proper city - I have no issue with infill projects literally everywhere else - just leave us the core for "core" urban please lol
You couldn't be more wrong with this. Housing is unaffordable because the demand is greatly outweighing the supply.

There are not "plenty of places to live", which results in prices skyrocketing. If we increase the supply (eg. more units available) there will be less competition to purchase and prices should decrease.

If 1000 people are looking for housing, and there's only 100 houses, the houses will be worth way more (hence unaffordable) than if there were 900 houses available on the market.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 12:03 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
You couldn't be more wrong with this. Housing is unaffordable because the demand is greatly outweighing the supply.

There are not "plenty of places to live", which results in prices skyrocketing. If we increase the supply (eg. more units available) there will be less competition to purchase and prices should decrease.

If 1000 people are looking for housing, and there's only 100 houses, the houses will be worth way more (hence unaffordable) than if there were 900 houses available on the market.
What are you talking about?? We have literally built THOUSANDS of new units downtown in just the past few years - The issue is that apartment owners simply keep jacking the rent higher and higher and higher and costs keep going up and NEVER go down - they look at "market price" across the city and aim for that, regardless of what is actually needed. When I first moved into my apartment 15 years ago the average price for a 2 bedroom was under 700 dollars - its now close to 2000 - for WHAT? There is no amt of improvement needed that requires a cost hike THAT big. It's JUST greed.

And the houses are NOT worth more because there is more demand and less houses, the houses are worth more because people from places like the richer areas of the golden horseshoe comes here and they ask 2-3 times the price that people are asking for their houses, because as much as they are paying for them its still far cheaper than the richer cities closer to toronto! We are building TONS of new housing.. the areas up on the escarpment keep expanding further and further out as farmowners sell their acres and entire neighbourhoods pop up in their place.. I work for the cable company - I see the subdivision plans they are building - there is no shortage of places being built.

we are literally mowing down entire acres of farmland to build giant subdivisions and building giant skyscrapers downtown - there is not a shortage of places to live. They simply are just much too expensive.

I can guarantee you if we build more units the cost will not go down because simply MORE people will scoop them up - the demand never goes down and the greed of the people who sell them never goes away, especially when people from say toronto are coming in and asking more for houses than is being offered, and when apartments can take an apartment, refurbish it and then ask way more for the price of it, or simply ask giant prices if its new, and people will pay it! And I can speak from personal experience - the price of rent is going up faster than the wages being paid for peoples jobs are, squeezing those who are already paying rent, and making it far harder for someone who is just starting out to afford a new place.

It's not gonna go down man, the prices NEVER go down anymore, esp. apartment rent, it will just go up, and up, and up.. and as it gets more expensive people start to move out to the more outlying areas, build those up, and then make THOSE expensive.

Also we may have more places for people here if we stop bringing every tom dick and harry into our city and instead focus on the disparity that already exists here. Work on maintaining our population instead of always having to grow. I get the aging population is going to leave a vacuum but we're still taxing things in the meantime - they're not all dead yet!

Anyways I have said my peace - I have a good idea where this conversation is going and this is not the place to have a back and forth.

Last edited by Chronamut; Aug 15, 2023 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 1:08 AM

Yup, we are building a lot of housing. But demand is still outgrowing the supply.

If the supply increases, the power shifts from the landlord/seller to the renter/buyer. We haven't reached that point though.

There are other factors like inflation and interest rate hikes driving prices up too, but claiming building more housing isn't important is objectively wrong.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 1:09 AM

Quote:
we are literally mowing down entire acres of farmland to build giant subdivisions and building giant skyscrapers downtown - there is not a shortage of places to live. They simply are just much too expensive.
This is sort of the point of what I’m saying. A building like this that goes up quickly, isn’t complicated to build or hard to get permits for is less expensive to build and therefore less expensive to own. Most know this issue by the term “the missing middle.”

Middle density, mid rise residences that are easy to build and don’t require skyscraper foundations. Obviously the single houses in the suburbs are expensive because they are so large.

Last edited by spaghettisam; Aug 15, 2023 at 1:19 AM. Reason: Added suburb comment

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 3:25 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettisam View Post
This is sort of the point of what I’m saying. A building like this that goes up quickly, isn’t complicated to build or hard to get permits for is less expensive to build and therefore less expensive to own. Most know this issue by the term “the missing middle.”

Middle density, mid rise residences that are easy to build and don’t require skyscraper foundations. Obviously the single houses in the suburbs are expensive because they are so large.
I say we opt to just have people sleep in drawers ala hong kong or cloud atlas lol - just stack people on top of each other like shipping crates

Old Posted Aug 19, 2023, 2:32 PM

I'm assuming this is a rental?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 4:03 PM

Taken today.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 6:49 PM

February 14

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
This one is going quite quick. I wonder the estimated completion. I wouldn't be surprised if summer 2024 is expected move in.
Was reviewing when this started, and damn this was a good guess. Occupancy June 2024 according to site supervisor.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 12:30 AM
Ham-burgher

More please. All over the city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton