HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 1:55 PM

73 Hughson Street North | ? m | 41 fl | Proposed

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 2:34 PM

I like it. Good location - close to the Cobalt and MAC student residence, and to the other builds that will be coming nearby. Gives a nice increase in density within a 2 block radius while adding some volume to the core.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 2:43 PM

Looks great, though not sure about the large inset ground floor.

Always happy to lose another parking lot. The sea of parking north of downtown is quickly getting whittled away.

By my count this is the 44th tower (15+ storeys) proposed or under construction in Downtown Hamilton.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 2:44 PM

- 380 residential units
- 2 commercial units
- 176 parking stalls (181 required)

My biggest complaint with this otherwise good plan is the god awful parking ratio that the City requires in one of the most walkable areas of the city and the resulting ground floor plan that is 50% driveway.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
- 380 residential units
- 2 commercial units
- 176 parking stalls (181 required)

My biggest complaint with this otherwise good plan is the god awful parking ratio that the City requires in one of the most walkable areas of the city and the resulting ground floor plan that is 50% driveway.
You won't get complaints from me about Hamilton removing parking standards, but I will note that Hamilton already has one of the lowest parking requirements in Ontario outside of Toronto. Don't be surprised if Hamilton removes parking minimums and the amount of parking being provided in these buildings doesn't drop too much.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
You won't get complaints from me about Hamilton removing parking standards, but I will note that Hamilton already has one of the lowest parking requirements in Ontario outside of Toronto. Don't be surprised if Hamilton removes parking minimums and the amount of parking being provided in these buildings doesn't drop too much.
Even if it were 25% less vehicle stalls that would be a massive benefit. Far less vehicles crossing the sidewalk, far less cars on the road, and smaller lots can reduce driveway space. For example Core Urban was able to get a single lane entry and exit on Augusta as a result of their smaller parking garage. It wasn't until the other proposals adjacent they decided to have one be an entry and another an exit.

A 25% reduction in parking stalls, would mean 44 less cars wearing down our streets, 57 more people walking, cycling and taking transit in downtown. Not to mention the reduced cost to build this type of development and other developments that never see the light of day.

To be honest, this close to LRT should have a parking *maximum*. If you want to own a car, go buy something where the walk score isn't as good, or the bike score or isn't nearly adjacent to a $4billion future LRT line.

We prescribed car ownership for half a century+ I think it's okay to go a bit the opposite and recognize that was hell on our budgets, and infrastructure and culture. People will drive, but there's no shortage of parking or condos with parking. Hamilton is still very accessible to cars, so buying a condo just outside the LRT line with parking should still be easy and add maybe 3 minutes to any drive.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Even if it were 25% less vehicle stalls that would be a massive benefit. Far less vehicles crossing the sidewalk, far less cars on the road, and smaller lots can reduce driveway space. For example Core Urban was able to get a single lane entry and exit on Augusta as a result of their smaller parking garage. It wasn't until the other proposals adjacent they decided to have one be an entry and another an exit.

A 25% reduction in parking stalls, would mean 44 less cars wearing down our streets, 57 more people walking, cycling and taking transit in downtown. Not to mention the reduced cost to build this type of development and other developments that never see the light of day.

To be honest, this close to LRT should have a parking *maximum*. If you want to own a car, go buy something where the walk score isn't as good, or the bike score or isn't nearly adjacent to a $4billion future LRT line.

We prescribed car ownership for half a century+ I think it's okay to go a bit the opposite and recognize that was hell on our budgets, and infrastructure and culture. People will drive, but there's no shortage of parking or condos with parking. Hamilton is still very accessible to cars, so buying a condo just outside the LRT line with parking should still be easy and add maybe 3 minutes to any drive.
I don't disagree, but even with no minimum parking requirements, unless a developer goes right to 0 parking on the site, the ground floor plan here wouldn't change. And I guess my point is that the developer would be unlikely to go to 0 parking here. Perhaps they would go from 4 levels of underground to 2 or 3 levels, but that would still require a parking ramp at grade and access driveway.

And even if you removed parking entirely, the access driveway would still be needed for loading.

Parking and loading takes up a ton of space here because of some poor design decisions which will hopefully get addressed through the approvals process. It certainly doesn't need to take up this much space. Delete the couple of surface parking spaces, relocate the ramp closer to the driveway entrance and make it a standard straight ramp with a 15% grade (vs. 12% proposed), remove one of the sidewalks along the driveway to reduce the width of the gap in the facade, and remove the oversized plaza which is overhung by the building above and the ground floor would be looking a lot better.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; Jul 12, 2023 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 4:25 PM

It's nice to see a proposal that isn't just a plain, boring, flat roof. Hopefully it ends up keeping that aspect if it proceeds

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 5:20 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
It's nice to see a proposal that isn't just a plain, boring, flat roof. Hopefully it ends up keeping that aspect if it proceeds
..But its still a boring unimaginative podium - at least do some fancy brickwork to semi-match the buildings on both sides of it. The brown part makes me cringe especially. Sure we don't NEED lintels and arched windows and cornices anymore but they still LOOK nice.

We need to stop striving for the bare minimum in design. We're better than that. There are tons of subtle little details on the building to the left that make it cool and unique.

..upon saying that what the hell happened to the building on the right, half of it is brick and then the rest looks like someone vomited 1800s stone onto the front lol.. I am guessing the whole building is probably super old and the one half just had a brick overlay put on to cover up the stone. Not many of the stone finishes like that still exist - the one on king william comes to mind..

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 7:40 PM

I seem to be missing the developer here?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
I seem to be missing the developer here?
Core Development Group

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 8:30 PM

Construction will be interesting here, the road is pretty narrow I imagine they will just close it down though

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 9:39 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Very exciting to see this proposal, only minor tweaks needed imo. Love that roof!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Core Development Group
Thank you, interesting that one of their partners is Emblem (queue the dramatic soundtrack).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Thank you, interesting that one of their partners is Emblem (queue the dramatic soundtrack).
Emblem's advertising is actually insane, and a bit grotesque considering it's literally housing.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Emblem's advertising is actually insane, and a bit grotesque considering it's literally housing.
Grotesque?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Grotesque?
Correct. It's housing not an excursion. Considering so many people are struggling to pay the bills and afford food, selling housing with flashy ads like it's fun to purchase property to then rent out for profit is grotesque and tone deaf. I'm okay with purchasing for rental, but tone matters in advertising.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 4:58 PM

I mean developers aren't really in the business of housing people. They're in the business of making money. It's not a charity. Whatever they can do to sell units is what they're going to do. I don't have much issue with a developer coming in and massively increasing the rental supply, what's the issue?

I haven't seen any advertising that I would consider grotesque though, could you provide an example?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I mean developers aren't really in the business of housing people. They're in the business of making money. It's not a charity. Whatever they can do to sell units is what they're going to do. I don't have much issue with a developer coming in and massively increasing the rental supply, what's the issue?

I haven't seen any advertising that I would consider grotesque though, could you provide an example?
Some of our fourm members just like to complain

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 1:11 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
Some of our fourm members just like to complain
Needs cornices

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton