HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 4:26 PM

Don't know how I missed this thread before, but I remember seeing some soil testing here last year. Good to see this is coming along. Dr. Disc will be surrounded by this and the new development on York/James.

When you factor in how many things are coming to the seas of parking lots around Wilson/Rebecca/John/Hughson area, it's amazing. Let's just hope there's some pizzazz in some of these builds. I'd rather wait a few years to see higher quality than build for the sake of build.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 3:35 PM

For anyone not on UT and hasn't seen, a formal consultation application has been made to increase the height of this:

File Number: FC-23-128
Description: To develop a mixed-use 41-storey development with a 7 level podium. The 41st storey will be an amenity area. Floors 2 to 40 will be residential, with approximately 500 units. The building will have 4 levels of underground parking.
Proposed Total Residential Units: 500

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
For anyone not on UT and hasn't seen, a formal consultation application has been made to increase the height of this:

File Number: FC-23-128
Description: To develop a mixed-use 41-storey development with a 7 level podium. The 41st storey will be an amenity area. Floors 2 to 40 will be residential, with approximately 500 units. The building will have 4 levels of underground parking.
Proposed Total Residential Units: 500
Between this proposal and 117 Jackson I'm going to optimistically start prepping the obituary for the City's ridiculous height limit.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 6:13 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccheck7 View Post
Between this proposal and 117 Jackson I'm going to optimistically start prepping the obituary for the City's ridiculous height limit.
I think we'll see some developers seek exceptions, but it'll be a while before the limit is removed.

The 'as of right' aspect of 30-storeys will still be attractive (and financially viable) to many.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I think we'll see some developers seek exceptions, but it'll be a while before the limit is removed.

The 'as of right' aspect of 30-storeys will still be attractive (and financially viable) to many.
I hope you are right. Hamilton has some exciting changes coming its way.. I hope removing height limits is part of that.

On a separate unrelated note.. I'm obsessed with how the Templar Flats turned out.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 8:09 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
On a separate unrelated note.. I'm obsessed with how the Templar Flats turned out.
I think it's fantastic. Core Urban's finest (though I think they're hitting the stuff on that block of Augusta-James out of the park too... everything that company does is GOLD, to me)

There will come a day when they build a skyscraper. And we will rejoice.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 8:22 PM

They are doing 12 storeys on James North now.. maybe their next project will be a real "high rise".

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 7:18 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
They are doing 12 storeys on James North now.. maybe their next project will be a real "high rise".
Unfortunately it seems the higher they go, the more generic their stuff tends to look - I am not thrilled on the skyscraper portion of the one on james N, nor was I of the last one on augusta, when they are known for so much more craftsmanship, so I am a little worried they may be starting to become a bit "architecturally lazy" for lack of a better word..

but we shall see, my gripes are more like a disappointed parent when their straight A kid gets a B, they are still THE gold standard for hamilton, I just hope they don't just start to get lazy and complacent as a result.

On the plus side their buildings go up SUPER fast on average.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton