HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
How do you come to that conclusion? Commonwealth has a massive track around it that puts fans tens of metres away from the action. It's the worst pure soccer venue of the 3 being submitted, because its not a pure soccer venue.... it's an athletics venue. BMO field is the best pure soccer venue because its a soccer specific stadium aka pure soccer venue.
Many Soccer stadiums have athletic tracks around them. The track does not impede Olympiastadion in Berlin which is a top-level facility.

For size and the ability to host. BMO Field may be the best soccer facility out of our 3 presented in Canada, but it is not a world-class facility by any stretch.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 6:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good point re MTL, in recent years they've added temporary seating to bump total capacity up to ~70,000 for major events. I don't get why they wouldn't do that for the World Cup... the one endzone near the jumbotron has room for a huge temporary grandstand.
I thought the same. Though one thing this does show is that the inclusion of the Big O is probably not based solely on assumptions about renovation plans for it.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Also not sure where you're getting the Morocco 20K seat venues. They're all planned to be over 40K with 14 stadiums not 13.
They will be modular stadiums that will reduced to 20,000 after the tournament

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
I love soccer, always have, but bending over to FIFA, one of the most corrupt international organizations, bullshit demands makes me wonder what compelled the CSA to go in on this joint bid.
Amen. After seeing what Vancouver, Chicago et al refused I don't know how any of the rest of the cities can go on with it in good conscience. It all sounded like a great idea until the outrageous demands became public. At least the Alberta government said something, what the hell is going on in Toronto and Montreal? Maybe they're counting on the feds to bail them out and with this government, they probably will.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Many Soccer stadiums have athletic tracks around them. The track does not impede Olympiastadion in Berlin which is a top-level facility.

For size and the ability to host. BMO Field may be the best soccer facility out of our 3 presented in Canada, but it is not a world-class facility by any stretch.
Now you're changing your original comment. You're talking best facility in general not "pure soccer facility" as you first posted which commonwealth is not. Sure commonwealth may be a better facility in general but it is not a better "pure soccer facility" as first stated.

Allianz Arena in Munich is a better pure soccer facility than Olympic Stadium in Berlin because it doesn't have a track.

San Siro in Milan is a better pure soccer facility than Olympic Stadium in Rome because it doesn't have a track.

A track around a stadium reduces atmosphere.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:34 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
For size and the ability to host. BMO Field may be the best soccer facility out of our 3 presented in Canada ...
It's the only soccer-specific stadium of the bunch so yeah, i'd hope so.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo
Canada easily has the worst venues as part of this bid package, which is quite sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by king10
How do you come to that conclusion?
He always trolls that along with his trolling about Canadian construction standards. And yet we never hear the evidence to support it.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:50 PM

Running track is somewhat of a buzzkill. You can still have atmosphere, but definitely not as good as it would be without.

West Ham fans are pissed about their move from Upton Park to Olympic Stadium. The running track kills it for them. They were so pissed that a couple of weeks ago two fans invaded the pitch separately and a bunch of fans started shouting directly at the owner in his box. And someone apparently connected with his face on a coin throw.

The move to a tracked stadium was one of their biggest grievances among the litany of things gone wrong.

River Plate's El Monumental can still provide for a great atmosphere with their passionate and crazy/criminal fans, but their atmosphere doesn't match that of their rival Boca's La Bombonera, which is basically a cage. When I watch highlights from the two, Boca's atmosphere is insane.

BMO is nice. I've watched three internationals there. One WC qualifying and two Gold Cup. I regret not going to the youth WC there though a decade ago. Would have been great.

For one TFC game, when streamers were still allowed, I was sitting with the Red Patch Boys in the SE corner. I threw a streamer during a DC United corner and bonked the guy right on top of his head. High fives all around. Dude didn't flinch though. I'm sure he's seen worse than a streamer. Anyway, couldn't do that at Commonwealth.

Also was at the TFC vs Galaxy game at the Dome when Becks was playing. Sold out. Great atmosphere. Idiots were throwing powerade and beer cans at Becks. No idea why they would sell actual cans at a game. Dumb asses also threw a can at a Craig Forrest and Jerry what's his name on the broadcaster's desk, which was set up on the 2nd deck actually.

I was pleasantly surprised by how close the stands were to the pitch at Saputo. It was like dangerously close. I wouldn't want to be a player on that pitch. But great for fans. Also been to the Big O, but not for footy. If they can get anything close to when the Impact were contending for the CONCACAF CL then it'll still be a nice atmosphere.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It's the only soccer-specific stadium of the bunch so yeah, i'd hope so.
The only thing that describes a soccer specific stadium to me is 1) no track 2) no artificial turf and 3) seats closer behind the goal. That's my opinion only

If anyone can come up with some others I'd love to hear about it, because I always see the same people trolling about how the vastly inferior Canadian stadiums can't pass FIFA standards (as if the people posting have actually looked at what those standards are). Every new stadium in Canada was built to be FIFA compliant (and that includes artificial turf) whether people want to play on it or not. Also many of those brilliant Euro stadiums have a track which kills the idea of soccer specific to me.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
The only thing that describes a soccer specific stadium to me is 1) no track 2) no artificial turf and 3) seats closer behind the goal.
That's mostly it, along with being a right-sized venue to provide for atmosphere, potential slope/grade of some stands, and other amenities (roofing, etc.).

A running track is absolutely not soccer-specific and is, by definition, multi-purpose.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 8:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

As luck would have it I've been to games at many of the stadiums (with and without tracks) that have been mentioned in the last few posts.

I will agree that tracks are often a negative in terms of atmosphere, but one of the reasons for that is that even if we imagine that these are legendary soccer clubs, most of them don't sell out their huge stadiums for all of their games. So you often have crowds of 35-40,000 people kicking around stadiums of 60,000-70,000.

Kind of similar to your average Edmonton Eskimos game at Commonwealth, really.

I've also been to various stadiums with tracks when they are packed - and it's a totally different story. There is no problem with the atmosphere then, especially when something important is on the line.

So in the case of hypothetical MWC games in Montreal and Edmonton, I don't think attendance or atmosphere will be issues.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 8:59 PM

^ I agree. I think people dramatically overstate the impact of tracks.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I thought the same. Though one thing this does show is that the inclusion of the Big O is probably not based solely on assumptions about renovation plans for it.
A big selling point of this bid seems to be that all the proposed stadiums are ready-to-go, so that's not surprising. However, that seems like an artificially low number of seats. I'm sure there is a way to expand and get the stadium to seat more without ripping out the Jumbotron in the endzone and putting the seats back.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
A big selling point of this bid seems to be that all the proposed stadiums are ready-to-go, so that's not surprising. However, that seems like an artificially low number of seats. I'm sure there is a way to expand and get the stadium to seat more without ripping out the Jumbotron in the endzone and putting the seats back.
Do they need a higher capacity other than for say Canada or one of the big ones (Brazil, England, Spain, etc.) If it is Tunisa vs. Sweden, I think 50K will be more than enough

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:06 PM

Hey guys off topic

I'm starting a Youtube channel Reviewing/Touring/Scoring Stadiums. My plan is to rate the building,Food experience ect. Also showcase the teams that play there, and the history surrounding the stadium/arena, Interior, exterior and player facilities. Any tips as we are all stadium nuts what would you wanna see in particular?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Hey guys off topic

I'm starting a Youtube channel Reviewing/Touring/Scoring Stadiums. My plan is to rate the building,Food experience ect. Also showcase the teams that play there, and the history surrounding the stadium/arena, Interior, exterior and player facilities. Any tips as we are all stadium nuts what would you wanna see in particular?
Great idea! Will it be sorta like these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oalh_jQdD3Y

They've only done hockey arenas I think and they don't score on the same things you're going to have.

Personally, what catches my eye first is architectural coolness (outside and in) but maybe you could also add neighborhood amenities like bars and restaurants? Location and transportation too perhaps?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
Great idea! Will it be sorta like these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oalh_jQdD3Y

They've only done hockey arenas I think and they don't score on the same things you're going to have.

Personally, what catches my eye first is architectural coolness (outside and in) but maybe you could also add neighborhood amenities like bars and restaurants? Location and transportation too perhaps?
It's funny When I first had the idea I went to check if its being done and these guys were the only ones really doing anything like it. I appreciate what they are doing but I find them very dull and have Almost no knowledge on the Venues. Also These guys are more hockey related then Arena/Stadium focused.

I actually want to go there live, 4-6 minute video, Attend a game, Get a tour, try the food (all on camera) Give some info on The franchise(s) that play there, Showcase the city a bit and then wrap up with a review and rating. I'm trying to figure out the right way to monetize it. But any ideas would be appreciated. I'm hiring a professional video editor and Camera guy for this I really wanna go all in. the only competetion I can see is Stadium journey and They are all website based where I will mainly focus on Social Media.

If I do this right I could end up partnering with someone like Barstoole or Bleacher report.

Last edited by Oilkountry; Mar 28, 2018 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Hey guys off topic

Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City is on my bucket list just for how good the food is there for tailgating experience I have heard it puts 5 star restaurants to shame.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City is on my bucket list just for how good the food is there for tailgating experience I have heard it puts 5 star restaurants to shame.
I wanna bring that experience to the world through YouTube

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 7:58 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
I wanna bring that experience to the world through YouTube
DO IT!!! You've got a guaranteed subscriber right here, let us know when the channel is up! Good luck!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada