HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Nice article, but the market value of Jim Balsillie's RIM stake is currently in the $3.5 billion to $4 billion range.
As of the end of April, Basillie holds approximately 34,276,000 shares of RIM. On paper, he is worth over $4.7 Billion today for those holdings alone--probably some unexercised options out there as well.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 4:01 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Should be interesting what happens with these teams married to their stadium clauses. How much financial loss are these owners willing withstand. They will probably need to fold their teams entirely.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
According to the news Balsillie did take a serious look at Phoenix but much like Nashville the team is hooked for the arena for a certain period of time.
I think there's an $800 million penalty to break the lease in Phoenix. It had to do with them building a new facility.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurnett71 View Post
As of the end of April, Basillie holds approximately 34,276,000 shares of RIM. On paper, he is worth over $4.7 Billion today for those holdings alone--probably some unexercised options out there as well.
That is certainly much higher than the figure quoted in the article ---- that seems like a bit of lazy journalism to me.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 4:11 AM

Richard Rodier was on Prime Time Sports today and I just had a listen. A few points:

- He made it sound as if Hamilton is pretty well the only city that Jim Balsillie has targeted for re-location, which is just confirmation of something we have pretty well known since 2002 or 2003, when Rodier first came onto the scene. He suggested that Jim is very fond of "The Hammer" and that he is very keen on helping to revitalize a hurting city.

He was asked if JB would consider a purchase of the Toronto Maple Leafs if they ever became available, and his response, after a bit of waffling, was that he did not think so. He was also asked if places like Kitchener-Waterloo would be acceptable as a Plan B and he made it sound like such a Plan B was not in existence.

- He suggested that some kind of evidence would be coming out within the next week or so that would suggest that Gary Bettman would never allow Jim Balsillie to apply for a team without forcing him to agree to not attempt to move a team to southern Ontario for at least seven years.

- He has not been in touch with Gary Bettman or Bill Daly over the last year. It does not sound like JB's camp and the commissioner's camp are on very good terms.

- No specific plan to purchase any specific team is currently in place, but when asked if a deal could come together by September, he suggested that something like that was very possible.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 6:37 AM
On Guard For Thee

All interesting turns-of-events and what is shaping up to be an interesting few years ahead for the league, Jim Balsille and, potentially, Hamilton. The economic situation in the U.S. has definitely put more teams in play--even in some of the better-performing markets in the southern U.S. hockey appears for many to be discretionary entertainment--and thus, expendable in light of tough economic conditions--this obviously hurts that gate considerably. I was surprised to see Tampa on the list, which has been a highly successful franchise--unlike the Panthers who have faultered from the start on the other side of the state. Atlanta is no surprise at all. Nashville and Phoneix have their tricky leases--Phoneix (Glendale actually) spent lavishly to build what is now Jobing.com Arena after the America West Arena provided to be a really difficult place to play hockey in (despite having being built in 1992). If Balsille makes something work, and the economy finally forces Bettman's hand, it could be and would be a great day for Hamilton--something many of us have waited our whole lives for.

I do have to strongly disagree with the opinion on this board that the game has become "Americanized" or is becoming increasingly milquetoast. The just completed Pittsburgh-Detroit series was fantastic, physical and fast. Detroit, which has had great success over the past decade is a deserving franchise with committed ownership and a great legacy as part of the league's history--the Red Wings represent everything that's right with the NHL as far as the U.S. market goes...granted they are more exception than rule.

Would certainly be interesting to see what changes would be in store for Copps...capcity may be an issue--however, it's important to note that the trend in new-builds have been back down after the 20,000+ frenzy of the 1990s--the Devils' new facility, Prudential Center seats only 17,000+ for hockey...about the same as the Igloo...which Pittsburgh is so anxious to get out of.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 7:38 AM
Closed account

there will have to be some contraction of teams in the nhl. there just aren't enough legitimate hockey markets for all these faltering franchises to relocate to - hamilton, winnipeg and quebec...that's it. teams might succeed in portland or seattle but i don't think there's any serious interest at this time. kansas city? not a legit hockey market - go scouts! las vegas? get real. another toronto-based team? perhaps. imo, the nhl is going to become much smaller in a big hurry.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 11:18 AM
It's Hammer Time

Don't count Balsillie out
BlackBerry billionaire determined to bring NHL club to Hamilton

June 05, 2008
John Kernaghan
The Hamilton Spectator

A combination of a weakened American dollar and sagging economy combined with robust revenues from Canada's National Hockey League teams is heating up the issue of U.S. based teams moving to Canada.

And that puts Hamilton and Winnipeg back on the front burner with NHL Players Association head Paul Kelly naming the two cities as prime candidates for relocated U.S. franchises.

Meantime, on the heels of a Toronto Star account that Canada's six teams contribute almost one-third of the 30-team league's ticket revenues, The National Post reports that up to eight NHL teams have been in discussions or have approached BlackBerry billionaire Jim Balsillie about a sale of a franchise or minority ownership.

Meantime, Balsillie's Hamilton friend, Ron Foxcroft, says the RIM mogul seems determined to bring a team to Hamilton.

"Ten years ago I said anyone who wanted to bring an NHL team needed to be on medication. But he's the exception. I wouldn't bet against him."

Another element that could be moving in Balsillie's direction is that the man who seems determined to block his Steeltown aspirations, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, may be losing the confidence of owners.

With a disproportionate chunk of live-gate money coming from Canada, 31 per cent, on top of minimal TV revenue in the U.S., Canadian teams are now subsidizing some Southern U.S. teams.

And the man who brokered the deal which kept the Nashville Predators out of Balsillie's hands last year, William (Boots) Del Baggio, faces two lawsuits for acts of fraud in obtaining loans and seems to have gone underground.

The NHL and the Predators have not clarified if Del Baggio actually put a promised $60 million into the franchise when a local ownership group assumed it.

That Nashville group was assembled after Balsillie began taking deposits on season-ticket packages for the team in Hamilton.

That was during the second of three reported attempts by buy teams and move one to Hamilton.

Balsillie broke off negotiations to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2006 when the league said he could not move the team.

And the Post claimed his plan to buy and move the Buffalo Sabres fell apart for the same reason late last year.

The billionaire, a passionate Canadian and hockey fan, still has to resolve the territorial rights of Toronto Maple Leafs and the Sabres if he tries to move a team.

Richard Rodier, a special adviser to Balsillie, confirmed to the Post that there have been negotiations with current NHL owners, though he declined to name them.

Hamilton councillor Terry Whitehead, the city's pointman on NHL matters, says he keeps in "indirect" touch with Balsillie.

The high-tech magnate has let his exclusivity agreement for leasing Copps Coliseum lapse, Whitehead said, but "there's no other candidate right now and we're interested and open for business."

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 2:23 PM
Closed account

anyone who can stick it to Bettman is a good man in my books.
Bettman blows.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
All interesting turns-of-events and what is shaping up to be an interesting few years ahead for the league, Jim Balsille and, potentially, Hamilton. The economic situation in the U.S. has definitely put more teams in play--even in some of the better-performing markets in the southern U.S. hockey appears for many to be discretionary entertainment--and thus, expendable in light of tough economic conditions--this obviously hurts that gate considerably. I was surprised to see Tampa on the list, which has been a highly successful franchise--unlike the Panthers who have faultered from the start on the other side of the state. Atlanta is no surprise at all. Nashville and Phoneix have their tricky leases--Phoneix (Glendale actually) spent lavishly to build what is now Jobing.com Arena after the America West Arena provided to be a really difficult place to play hockey in (despite having being built in 1992). If Balsille makes something work, and the economy finally forces Bettman's hand, it could be and would be a great day for Hamilton--something many of us have waited our whole lives for.

I do have to strongly disagree with the opinion on this board that the game has become "Americanized" or is becoming increasingly milquetoast. The just completed Pittsburgh-Detroit series was fantastic, physical and fast. Detroit, which has had great success over the past decade is a deserving franchise with committed ownership and a great legacy as part of the league's history--the Red Wings represent everything that's right with the NHL as far as the U.S. market goes...granted they are more exception than rule.

Would certainly be interesting to see what changes would be in store for Copps...capcity may be an issue--however, it's important to note that the trend in new-builds have been back down after the 20,000+ frenzy of the 1990s--the Devils' new facility, Prudential Center seats only 17,000+ for hockey...about the same as the Igloo...which Pittsburgh is so anxious to get out of.
Some great points, although I found much of the Finals to be rather lopsided and uninteresting unless you're a Red Wings fan. They were clearly the better team. Congrats to them.

Capacity at Copps would be fine for an NHL team, although it would require some extensive remodelling to allow for private suites. I think everyone realizes that the Bell Centre in Montreal is too big for hockey at 20,000 +. I think the capacity of the ACC is 18,000.

Bettman doesn't want Balsillie in the league because he is what Mark Cuban is to the NBA. He's a relatively young, self made, passionate fan for whom a team is much more than an investment. He would be a fabulous owner for the fans, but a pain in the ass for the league. I am a born and bred Leaf fan, but it wouldn't be difficult for me to throw my support behind a Hamilton franchise.

Just allow me to get downtown via LRT and all would be fine.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 4:48 PM
On Guard For Thee

Yes, Bettman blows, no argument here. He's made his impact in his time with the league, or, done his damage if you will--the holy grail that was a U.S. TV deal has fallen apart and if there are actually as many disaffected owners as the media is now reporting, it would be a joyful day if they threw the twerp out on his ass.

Of course Copps would require extensive work in order to be revenue-positive. The Bell Centre actually tops out at over 21,000--too large perhaps, but the Canadiens gate is absolutely epic and their contribution to revenue-sharing props up more than a few other teams.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Of course Copps would require extensive work in order to be revenue-positive. The Bell Centre actually tops out at over 21,000--too large perhaps, but the Canadiens gate is absolutely epic and their contribution to revenue-sharing props up more than a few other teams.
I think a team in Hamilton could sell out 21,000 every game, based on the catch basin for a Hamilton team and the interest in the hockey in the area. I agree that Copps is dated and would expect a new arena being needed within 5 years of a team landing in Hamilton. That's the big risk to Hamilton: Where will that arena be built? Downtown, suburbs, K-W................

I think a Hamilton team would be a boost to Toronto and interest in hockey in this market. Look at the Toronto - Ottawa rivalry, and multiply it by 10 for a Toronto - Hamilton rivalry. A Hamilton - Buffalo rivalry might also materialize, but my belief is the Sabres might be hurt as many in our area who travel to Buffalo for a game would redirect their attendence to Hamilton.

I think Hamilton would be a great middle to upper middle of the pack revenue team in the NHL.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 9:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Richard Rodier was on Prime Time Sports today and I just had a listen. A few points:

- He made it sound as if Hamilton is pretty well the only city that Jim Balsillie has targeted for re-location, which is just confirmation of something we have pretty well known since 2002 or 2003, when Rodier first came onto the scene. He suggested that Jim is very fond of "The Hammer" and that he is very keen on helping to revitalize a hurting city.

He was asked if JB would consider a purchase of the Toronto Maple Leafs if they ever became available, and his response, after a bit of waffling, was that he did not think so. He was also asked if places like Kitchener-Waterloo would be acceptable as a Plan B and he made it sound like such a Plan B was not in existence.

- He suggested that some kind of evidence would be coming out within the next week or so that would suggest that Gary Bettman would never allow Jim Balsillie to apply for a team without forcing him to agree to not attempt to move a team to southern Ontario for at least seven years.

- He has not been in touch with Gary Bettman or Bill Daly over the last year. It does not sound like JB's camp and the commissioner's camp are on very good terms.

- No specific plan to purchase any specific team is currently in place, but when asked if a deal could come together by September, he suggested that something like that was very possible.
Here's a link to listen to this interview....

http://www.fan590.com/onair/primetim...04_193510_3836

Jim refers to Hamilton as "The Hammer" lol.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 9:42 PM
Closed account

Quote:

wow...great stuff.
Bettman can't go on much longer like this.
Now he has the players association in support of JB and the idea of a team in Hamilton.
The dollar is on par with US dollar and we hear that 33% of ticket revenue in the league comes from 6 Canadian teams (yes, in a league of 30).
It's common sense (which explains why Bettman is in the opposite camp) and it will happen eventually. Whether the nerdy, non-athletic loser is still around to see it is another story.
I can only hope for this - WHEN the Hammer gets an NHL team and Bettman comes for opening night to do some stupid speech, I will pay an insane sum of money to get into that building and I'll boo so loud that I can't talk for a week.
What a deafening sound it would be if that day happens. He'd be nuts to ever step foot on a Hamilton rink and open his dweeby little mouth.
What a joyous moment it would be.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 1:00 AM
On Guard For Thee

Long live the Prince of Wales and Campbell Conferences.

If the word is in the wind that Balsille could come to Hamilton and have a reasonably successful franchise (in terms of Canadian teams) it's an easy win for the rest of the owners (with two possible exceptions)--revenue sharing and the income Canadian franchises get from TV means higher revenues (potentially) for everyone. I remember seeing a TV news report on the amount the Habs pay into revenue sharing the last time I was in MTL--can't remember the specific numbers--but they were staggering.

Anyone else pick up on this pissing match over the rights to the HNIC theme music? As soon as I heard the reports this morning I figured it was the composer's people turning up the heat to strike a richer deal with the CBC. I would HATE to have to see HNIC without that iconic music--however, I give some credit to the network for not wanting to be taken to the cleaners...Hello Canada, and hockey fans in the United States and Newfoundland...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 1:47 AM
Closed account

I know...I can't believe that we might not hear that theme song again.
Crazy.

They pay $500.00 EVERY time they play that tune (wow...that chick must be raking it in).
I'm not sure if she's trying to up the price or if they've had enough with $500.00 per usage.
Still, that will suck if they can't use it anymore.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 2:10 AM

There are rumours that Del Biaggio, who appears to be in some kind of financial distress and may be ready to file Chapter 11 bankruptcy, offered to sell his stake in the Predators to Balsillie. Balsillie was apparently interested, but the whole thing was apparently scuttled by Gary Bettman.

This appears to be the story that Richard Rodier was hinting about. It appears that the expectation is that Bettman's move will cause a big stink among owners.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I know...I can't believe that we might not hear that theme song again.
Crazy.

They pay $500.00 EVERY time they play that tune (wow...that chick must be raking it in).
I'm not sure if she's trying to up the price or if they've had enough with $500.00 per usage.
Still, that will suck if they can't use it anymore.
Royalties are king!!!! I heard Mel Torme would get at cheque for $250,000 every July because that is when they paid the royalties on a song he co-wrote called, The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)............... And that is re-occuring revenue.

CBC will pick it up again. Just like the Ron Maclean contract negotiations, there will be a public outcry and they will cave and pay whatever it takes......... Anyways, that is my prediction.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 3:22 AM
On Guard For Thee

Agreed FairHamilton--I would shocked if they don't pick it up--sadly the tactics of the organization that represents the composer will be effective. They released their statement this morning, but the CBC has come back and said that it's all news to them--as far as CBC Sports was concerned negotiations were still ongoing...too bad they hadn't bought the rights outright years ago--assuming she was willing to sell.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this supposed upheaval amongst some of the U.S. franchises--in the past they have given lukewarm support to Bettman's efforts to ensure there were no additional Canadian franchises--but after 15 odd years I think it's fair to say that the sport is simply not going to explode outside of it's traditional U.S. markets...and as such, a lucrative U.S. TV deal is simply never going to happen. If things get dire enough and there are teams in danger of folding--is that the game changer that opens the door to more Canadian teams? Borrowing is a tough game these days--so selling franchises would obviously be an uphill battle. The ultimate dream would be teams back in QC and the Peg, as well as Hamilton...like I said...that's a fantasy--but realistically...if we can get a team in Copps...the rest would merely be gravy.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 3:26 AM

According to a news article I read today, $500 per use is the amount that has always been charged. The person holding the rights is not trying to raise the amount, but simply to renew the agreement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation