HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 9:45 PM

Target has released its finalized list of new store locations in Canada along with their opening dates.

The Centre Mall location is opening March/April 2013. The Ancaster Meadowlands, Queenston Road and Upper James locations will open the summer of 2013.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 10:18 PM
Hammer'd

That sounds about right. The Centre Mall Zellers just started the whole "Store Closing" process in the last month. The place is starting to look pretty barren.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 10:28 PM

I was in the Upper James Zellers last night, and saw the 'Total Liquidation' signs in store.

The store will end their participation in Zellers flyers offers this Friday, and go into 'All Sales Final-No Returns or Exchanges' mode on Saturday.

The Final Countdown(man, I love that song...XD) to Target begins there this weekend. =)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2012, 11:16 PM

The former Zellers/Soon to be Walmart at Mohawk and Upper Sherman has a sign up saying they are open during renovations. I had a trunk full of groceries or I would have checked it out.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 1:59 PM

I believe it's just the pharmacy that continues to operate while the store gets renovated.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
I believe it's just the pharmacy that continues to operate while the store gets renovated.
Pharmacy, Health & Beauty and Cosmetics, with a little bit of Back-To-School up by the registers. (Store number is 1154 for those keeping track)

Interesting contrast in corporate strategies. Target passed on Zellers' pharmacy business, while Walmart couldn't even wait for Zellers to close to start operations.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 4:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

Rumour has it that Nordstrom will take over Sears location at Limeridge Mall.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

Maybe with more high end retail Hamilton can get off of this list....

http://www.bows-n-ties.com/mens-fash...in-Canada.html

Hamilton Ontario is the 4th Most Fashion Challenged City in the World

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Rumour has it that Nordstrom will take over Sears location at Limeridge Mall.
Didn't the Sears there just do a major remodel?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 7:48 PM

Sears did just to a prototype reno at their Lime Ridge Mall location. I don't expect to see them close this location down anytime soon.

From what I have heard, Nordstrom is looking to take over recently closed Sears locations in Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver, and plans a fourth store anchoring the expansion at Sherway Gardens in Toronto. I also hear they are negotiating taking a couple floors of the Sears located at the Toronto Eaton Centre. I don't see Nordstrom making a move to Lime Ridge as part of its Canadian beachhead. If it does eventually move there, I would expect they would step in to one of the spots held by HBC at the mall.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Maybe with more high end retail Hamilton can get off of this list....

http://www.bows-n-ties.com/mens-fash...in-Canada.html

Hamilton Ontario is the 4th Most Fashion Challenged City in the World
There's probably some truth to that, however Dublin is the 3rd worst dressed city in the world so I'll take it with a grain of salt.

I don't know, perhaps if there were fewer Wal Marts, Targets and Zellers, we'd get off that list. Probably not, though. You can't ask a leopard to change his spots any more than you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. We're track panted bingo goers.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 5:18 AM

First of all, I wouldn't take this too much to heart, the website seems to have no credibility aside from a few fashion buffs with an internet connection and somewhat crudely constructed blog.

Albeit, with that said, this doesn't surprise me whatsoever, and I'm glad someone had the gull to bring this to attention. All narcissism aside, I pride myself on dressing fairly well and fashionable and throughout my experience have noticed that a stigma is carried against those who like me take up on current fashion trends. The root of this problem isn't necessarily access to higher-end fashion store, although it certainly doesn't help, but a lot of it has to do with the people of this city and its culture. Hamilton is and use to be mainly a manufacturing based economy which, unfortunately, doesn't attract citizens of the greatest economic stature. And currently Downtown, some of the Central Mountain, and most of the East-End is dominated by lower-class vagrants who don't have the resources (ex. excessive monetary funds and transportation) to access higher-end clothing stores which are edged in the far corners of Hamilton such as H&M, for example. Clothing, therefore has to be comfortable, accessible, and easy to wear, and undoubtedly cheap to match the means of the majority population.

Personally, I don't think there are any immediate and simple answers to correcting this mediocre issue. With that said, I am a staunch supporter of bringing high-end clothing stores to Hamilton, and creating a stronger and more trendy clothing center in the core as it will encourage people to have their focus placed more downtown which will slowly trickle down to the people.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post
And currently Downtown, some of the Central Mountain, and most of the East-End is dominated by lower-class vagrants who don't have the resources (ex. excessive monetary funds and transportation) to access higher-end clothing stores which are edged in the far corners of Hamilton such as H&M, for example. Clothing, therefore has to be comfortable, accessible, and easy to wear, and undoubtedly cheap to match the means of the majority population.
That's me alright. But at least I don't sit on my ass while looking crappy, I run a business. Instead of paying for a car to drive to Limeridge to buy expensive clothes, I pay rent on a storefront to serve customers. And some of them might visit my neighbour who opened a high end clothing store.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 7:43 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Hamilton should be the head office of Walmart Canada.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 7:51 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

But then again, Tim Hortons is the Walmart of coffee, they started in Hamilton and yet their Head Office is in Oakville. Hamilton can't even make a head office for a brand like Tim Hortons. It appears that the directors of Tim Hortons are like, "NO WAY. ARE WE GOING TO WORK IN DOWNTOWN HAMILTON". I don't want to work around crack-dealers in Gore Park either. I don't blame them. But still for being anti-Hamilton, I buy all my coffees at McDonalds or PAM's.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 1:25 AM
Hammer'd

The head office is in Oakville because Ron Joyce lived in Hamilton and Tim Horton lived/played in Toronto. It was to supposed to be a convenient halfway point for them. Or at least that's the rumor I heard...

I'm not at all bothered by the fact that the Tim Hortons HQ is in Oakville, considering the fact that it's target audience is automobile users. I'm sure if it was in Hamilton it would just be somewhere on the East mountain or Ancaster like the coffee plant they are building here. No different than being in Oakville.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 2:29 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
The head office is in Oakville because Ron Joyce lived in Hamilton and Tim Horton lived/played in Toronto. It was to supposed to be a convenient halfway point for them. Or at least that's the rumor I heard...

I'm not at all bothered by the fact that the Tim Hortons HQ is in Oakville, considering the fact that it's target audience is automobile users. I'm sure if it was in Hamilton it would just be somewhere on the East mountain or Ancaster like the coffee plant they are building here. No different than being in Oakville.
At the time TH put their head office in Oakville, it was considered a suburb of both Hamilton and Toronto. The biggest selling newspaper in Oakville up until the mid eighties was The Hamilton Spectator.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 2:33 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
But then again, Tim Hortons is the Walmart of coffee, they started in Hamilton and yet their Head Office is in Oakville. Hamilton can't even make a head office for a brand like Tim Hortons. It appears that the directors of Tim Hortons are like, "NO WAY. ARE WE GOING TO WORK IN DOWNTOWN HAMILTON". I don't want to work around crack-dealers in Gore Park either. I don't blame them. But still for being anti-Hamilton, I buy all my coffees at McDonalds or PAM's.
If you don't like it here you could leave. They do have public housing in other cities you know.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 3:45 AM

Ohhhhh snap! That just happened, people!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 7:36 AM
Happily mad!

not really an option when someone is living in their mother's basement...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion