HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
It would be a great venue for smaller festivals in the summer.
If memory serves, there used to be summertime Shakespeare productions up on that roof. I think it was called "Shakespeare in the City". Not sure if it still goes on, though.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 6:01 PM
Closed account

What do they plan on doing with the library and market space after the new areas are built?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
What do they plan on doing with the library and market space after the new areas are built?
THe new area is temporary space while the market is being renovated.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 6:08 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Or, it could take over the old Bank of Montreal podium space.
I think, in a roundabout way, that's what he meant without defining it properly. I've certainly enthusiasticlly suggested this one myself at least twice before.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 6:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by block43 View Post
THe new area is temporary space while the market is being renovated.
oh ok.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 8:06 PM

It'll be interesting how the temporary location works out for the Farmer's market. I have a gut feeling that its setup will be quite successful, given its multiple entryways and smooth flow of foot traffic. At any rate, it'll be nice to see that old stretch of the concourse reopened and occupied.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 7:44 PM

During a pass through JS today I noticed a few things:

1. It was bustling -- maybe it was the sunshine...
2. The space being reno'd for the temp market is looking good. Still quite a bit of work to do, but it looked clean and bright. I think this will work well.
3. Sushi on the Run is now exposed and it looking like it will open really soon. It's a nice store front, however, I think they should have gone with larger font for their sign. Just me thou.
4. It looks like Toby's has been reno'd. I haven't eaten there for awhile but it looked nicer/more modern as I passed by. Also they refreshed their outdoor signage which gives them better street presence on King St.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 8:19 PM
Closed account

I bet ya that Sushi on the run sign will glow so nicely that size won't matter.

Signage is tricky - they aren't trying to stop traffic along a highway. The better the design execution - the more it will attract folks who are walking along there.

One of the biggest mistakes downtowns made were making their signs too large for the scale of the buildings.

See Subway and Money Mart along King as perfect examples.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 2:17 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quickly scuttled through JS this morning and HCC before heading outside again. While neither are architectural marvels inside or out, I much prefer being inside HCC to JS, one reason.... natural light!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Quickly scuttled through JS this morning and HCC before heading outside again. While neither are architectural marvels inside or out, I much prefer being inside HCC to JS, one reason.... natural light!
Just got out of there a few minutes ago, looks like that electronics guy by the elevator got himself some more space.

Oh and don't be fooled by the "home decor" place by the lotto booth, the "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE - 70% OFF" signs increment by 10% each month until they fall back down to 50 or so.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 11:22 PM
Hammer'd

I agree that the design of the HCC is much better, but the stores are just downright depressing.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 9:11 PM

upper court yard

Wow what a wasted treasure. So much room. I was at a conference at the Sheraton and had a great view of the upper deck.
This is so under utilized. There should be or there will be with all the movement downtown.
maybe have a Festival up there. There could be daily vendors with crafts for the tourists. Sidewalk art. Buskers.
lots of benchs and picnic tables with a regular police patrol presence.
Out door coffee patio with umbrellas.
Hotdog vendors and ice cream stands, Piped in music K-Lite FM.
So much patio so little use.
hey have a outdoor weekend jazz or blues fest with a beer tent.
Maybe have the wing fest up there.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 2:11 AM

I think this kind of thing will happen very soon! Especially once traffic calms down along York after the 2-way conversion.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 1:56 PM

I agree that the JS rooftop has much under utilized potential. I often spend a few minutes up there to catch some sunshine when taking a break from work.

I think the City should consider doing some additional gardening up there during the spring / summer, even if that meant doing less in some other areas in the city. I've always thought that if it was a little greener and looked more like a park it might attract additional people up there. Also, it could even see some type of seasonal cafe or food vendor take interest.

Of note, it looks like Toby's is adding a street patio on King St. Nothing spectacular, but they've sectioned off a small area with some glass walls. I guess a small patio is better than no patio.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 3:22 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk View Post
I've always thought that if it was a little greener and looked more like a park it might attract additional people up there.
What would attract additional people up to the JS roof would be a reason to go there - either passing through on the way to a destination or as a destination itself.

The main problem is that the JS roof, like the megablock itself, was specifically designed to be segregated from the street - elevated walkways and all. It was designed by people who hated and feared the city, with its hodgepodge of mixed uses and serendipitous connections.

Successful places in cities are crossroads: places where people come into contact over the course of their travels and undertake exchanges. That's why it's so important to cultivate pedestrian friendly streets, since streets are where people connect.

The JS roof is deliberately and explicitly removed from the continuum of urban street life. Unless it functions as a viable destination in itself (and no amount of landscaping is going to draw real crowds), it will never function as a successful public space.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 3:34 PM
Closed account

Took the words right out of my mouth. And then exchanged them for better words. And fleshed out my thoughts. Nice work, Ryan.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 3:44 PM

Just putting up a large sign above the King and James entrance that says: Hey! there's a park up here!
would quadruple the number of people that would use it.

Sometimes people need a reminder that certain features are there, even though they pass them everyday. Or in 95% of people who work in the area they need to be informed that there is a park on the roof in the first place. I'm guessing that most people don't even know what's up there.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 4:01 PM

Makes sense Ryan. I guess my rooftop park idea was more of a daydream I had up there recently over a coffee and some morning sun.

The view from my office peers down on a part of the JS rooftop, and I can't help but think that with some innovative thinking this under-used part of the core could add to the uniqueness of our city -- rather than sit vacant, elevated, and segregated from the street... Currently, the term 'high and dry' comes to mind.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 4:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

Get rid of it. There's plenty of space in the core for another urban plaza. Install skylights to brighten JS.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 5:56 PM

Central parkade

I was just reminded on another topic to not always look at changing things, like the old vs renovated farmer's market.
So look at the court for what it is a refuge or like central park in the middle of new york a change.
So enbrace it as a quiet place to read, suntan or visit in the middle of all the rustle and bustle.
Like mentioned green it up LEED it with roof solar panels that provide solar lighting or spot lights for an evening cool off area.
plug in a noise box and have outdoor yoga or free dancerize, thi chi
partner up with Good life.
Mark and measure a walking route and people can to laps at lunch. Put up a huge bike parking area or locker so local employees have a safe place out of sight to park their bike.
use it don't lose it.
Everyone complained about that cheap resting area about 100 m away near the Lister.
maybe organize a flower planting for this area. I bet Bob Bratina would ask parks and rec for help and flowers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues