HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 1:12 PM

edit

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
In which case you're not supporting (most of) those border-hoppers, since Canada has officially deemed Haiti to have recovered from the 2010 quake.
And they almost certainly aren't escaping any legitimate threats from the country they are leaving - the USA. Perhaps they believe they have perceived threats, but that is not the same as legitimate.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
And they almost certainly aren't escaping any legitimate threats from the country they are leaving - the USA. Perhaps they believe they have perceived threats, but that is not the same as legitimate.
I think it was reported at the beginning of the year that about 10% of Haitian refugee claimants were successful, although this was based on a very low number of cases.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I think it was reported at the beginning of the year that about 10% of Haitian refugee claimants were successful, although this was based on a very low number of cases.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1DN02Z

If it is the case that most of the refugee claims are being refused, then the government should really advertise this better - for their own benefit if nothing else. It would do a great deal to quell the resentment felt by this, as well as discouraging further border crossings and show the world that actually, despite Trudeau's claims, we don't welcome everybody and there are rules. I suspect the message would now be too 'off brand' now though.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
In which case you're not supporting (most of) those border-hoppers, since Canada has officially deemed Haiti to have recovered from the 2010 quake.
Maybe, but I'm not seeing the cases and it's not for me to decide. I just mean I support the principle overall, whereas others may not.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1DN02Z

If it is the case that most of the refugee claims are being refused, then the government should really advertise this better - for their own benefit if nothing else. It would do a great deal to quell the resentment felt by this, as well as discouraging further border crossings and show the world that actually, despite Trudeau's claims, we don't welcome everybody and there are rules. I suspect the message would now be too 'off brand' now though.
I was thinking that too, and I think numbers come out annually in any event, but that article raises issues that the Government may well not want to advertise. For example, about 40% of applicants either withdrew their claim or didn't show up for their hearing -- how many of these people remained in Canada or is this unknown? Publicizing numbers could also highlight the fact that many of these people are going to be in Canada for many years before their claims are definitively disposed of.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 3:51 PM

I want to say that my opposition to illegal/irregular border crossings (and other's I'm sure) is not out of some heartless, 'I'm alright jack', mentality, but actually because I think it is detrimental to the health of our society and the plight of the refugees.

There are many reasons why uncontrolled border crossings are counter productive:
  • It's unpredictable and uncontrolled, so places cannot be prepared for the influx and may harm a city's systems - 40% of Toronto's homeless shelters are filled with refugees being processed
  • It generates resentment in the population, even in the immigrant population, as these claimants are, quite fairly, seen as line skippers. This creates political opposition to further immigration which we desperately need
  • The refugees will only be settled in a small number of border cities
  • Allowing this to happen encourages more. This might be a more controversial opinion, but I think once the floodgates open and people start migrating from a country en masse, that is actually detrimental to the country they are leaving as it is all the 'good people' leaving and bad people remaining. We cannot possibly let in enough people that we can solve the world's problems through immigration - these countries have to have their problems fixed at home
  • Illegal immigration inevitably leads to illegal workers. We absolutely do not want this to happen here as has happened in the states. Once you get an underground economy such as down south, it is impossible to snuff out as so many forces are pulling in different directions. So don't let it happen.

You might be able to fix some of this with better implementation, which is great in theory but never actually happens in practise.

I'd also like to say that I say all this as someone who supports vastly increased immigration to Canada. I'd happily put our immigration numbers at a million a year. We need more people. They just have to come here in a controlled fashion. I believe many Canadians, including those on the right, support this view.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:08 AM
The good old days are now

Le Triangle area must have the ugliest assortment of condo buildings in Montreal...

dsc_5505 by André Querry, on Flickr

dsc_5507 by André Querry, on Flickr

dsc_5503 by André Querry, on Flickr

dsc_5435 by André Querry, on Flickr

Another collection of uglies downtown:
dsc_5675 by André Querry, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:00 AM
Fake News

Dear Lord! It’s like Laval is spreading into Montreal. Right down to the Bureau en Gros and Chateau Entrepot signs filling in for the trusty blue hammer.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 12:23 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

BREAKING NEWS!

Employees of the Laval Clockzilla are on strike!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 2:02 PM
arf

Are they on strike or did they escape?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 11:13 PM

I really don't like the material used, and the design of this building : Origine Écocondos de la Pointe aux lièvres. It's the tallest building made with wood in North America at Quebec City, but not the most beautiful.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 5:41 AM

I was literally a mile away. There was a quarry, a highway and TWO giant malls between me and... it.
I thought I was safe, but I was not.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:17 PM

Stumbled upon this house in Windsor while doing a street view on google maps. What an odd looking house.

I erased the house number. Not trying to disparage the homeowner, I don't know their situation, but it is a peculiar looking house. I myself would consider living in an odd looking house in my city if that's what was available in my price range.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:22 PM

Odd in that the raised roof would normally be facing the back, but not particularly ugly, imho. The entire roof seems slightly raised to me, so I'm wondering if the second floor was added at some point.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:27 PM
Midtowner since 2K

It's a bit odd, but not really when you think of home designs for the time. The house on the right looks worse I'd say.....it's lie the roof has a pair of wings, or it's like a open book within the roofline.

that Nissan is the most ugly thing in that photo from what I can see. Tries to look modern, not aerodynamic.....bleugh….

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
It's a bit odd, but not really when you think of home designs for the time. The house on the right looks worse I'd say.....it's lie the roof has a pair of wings, or it's like a open book within the roofline.

that Nissan is the most ugly thing in that photo from what I can see. Tries to look modern, not aerodynamic.....bleugh….
But the upstairs rooms would be massive compared to a normal storey and a half. With that big side staircase, I suspect that it's been converted into a duplex.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:38 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
But the upstairs rooms would be massive compared to a normal storey and a half. With that big side staircase, I suspect that it's been converted into a duplex.
Yea. Still, I don't get the point of keeping that roofline, except because of cost to remove it, and maybe structural integrity (EDIT:, nevermind….saw the gap)....anyways, here, some Missingsausage SFH:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.58076...=en&authuser=0

That driveway is ridiculously long....
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.58062...=en&authuser=0

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 4:23 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTravailleur View Post
I was literally a mile away. There was a quarry, a highway and TWO giant malls between me and... it.
I thought I was safe, but I was not.

Shudder... How do you live in its shadow?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 4:30 PM
Fake News

In ugly related news I’d like to nominate the moderation of this website, particularly the Calgary construction forum. I was banned with no explanation or reason for weeks simply for arguing against a well known troll who was comparing multifamily buildings to cockroaches. I think this might be one of my last posts. SSP has been overrun by far right wing trolls.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada