HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:45 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I saw this earlier....it looks very clumsy. Not too ugly, but definitely unattractive.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 11:58 PM
Identity Condiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
This is one of my favourite passive aggressive things in a while. Whoever they hired to do these renders for a proposed expansion to a parking garage in St. John's (not Murmansk) CLEARLY hates the proposal.

If they can't see it, they can't oppose it based on looks!

I like the one with the transport; is that a hotel or a logistics facility?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 4:50 PM
Fake News

A nice little ugmo I discovered while walking today. It’s so ugly it’s literally trying to hide its face behind a mask.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 8:39 PM
Kneel before Irving

This isn't what we mean when we ask for traditional architectural styles in heritage areas.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.07544...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:34 AM

Doug Ford refuses to denounce white nationalist he posed with at Ford Fascist Fest last weekend:
https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/09/...bq_a_23540529/

This should give pause to those New Canadians who thought they could ever be part of Ford Nation.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:24 PM
Fake News

Details emerge about the naked kidnappers in Leduc:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4482670/n...rs-armageddon/

Like an episode of CSI.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:51 PM

Pretty hilarious to read about. Must have been messed up being in the situation.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:17 PM
Derp

For me, religious beliefs = straight comedy
I think even Hollywood couldn't have made this one up

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 10:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Council workers are enforcing heritage bylaws in my neighbourhood all of sudden (I suspect prejudice), and it's BARELY a heritage area. There's like two protected blocks. The rest is early 1900s, not heritage.

It used to be a teahouse. Now it's a salon

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Sep 30, 2018 at 9:45 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 12:15 AM
Identity Condiment

The g is the most aesthetically pleasing thing in that photo.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:51 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Council workers are enforcing heritage bylaws in my neighbourhood all of sudden (I suspect prejudice), and it's BARELY a heritage area. There's like two protected blocks. The rest is early 1900s, not heritage.

It used to be a teahouse. Now it's a salon
It's amazing to me that you guys don't consider early 1900's stock buildings heritage worthy. Here that is literally the era of our heritage buildings along with late 1800's. Based on that picture though I have to agree that this building does not appear very noteworthy. Like Vid said, the sign is the most appealing part of it. It's insane that council would claim that affects its heritage status. Especially in a city as colourful as St. John's.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:57 PM
Fake News

Not necessarily Canadian but definitely one of the ugliest displays I have ever seen. Brett Kavanaugh might as well have been Nic Cage in Wickerman he was so ridiculous.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:59 PM

Ya, no wonder why Trump likes him. Speaking of this was pretty ugly as well.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:00 PM
Fake News

Quick, alert the thread police! We need to maintain the Canadian purity of this forum.

P.S. Of course the groper in chief would appoint a black-out drunk sexual assaulter to the Supreme Court. Women are only good for sex. What a piece of shit.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:03 PM

Well he was talking about the Canada Mexico Trade deal so in a round about way that video works

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:12 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Well he was talking about the Canada Mexico Trade deal so in a round about way that video works
Yes let's go with that.

On that topic isn't it convenient that Andrew Scheer is complaining about the trade deal now after complaining that they weren't signing a deal soon enough. He sounds like fucking Trump when he claims he would have gotten a better deal just because.

He also side stepped questions about his proposal to replace the carbon tax. I can see more Stephen Harper style LED lightbulb rebates. Woohoo! That will definitely tackle the existential crisis of our time. If it were in an outdoor venue I'd attend the Dog Fart / Jason Kenney Scrap the Carbon Tax rally in Calgary to protest. Baby Boomer Conservatives are determined to fuck the planet cause they know they won't be around for the worst of it.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:15 PM
arf

When most people think 1900s building stock, they think stone and brick and old western warehouse and early skyscraper. Outside of the splendid churches in St John's and some of Water and Duckworth Street, the vast majority of what lies in the heritage designation areas are two or three-story flats with clapboard siding, some colours, although quite a bit of drear as well.

I think looking more closely at areas gives a sense of what they try to preserve.From the more touristy and not SignalHillHiker' neighbourhood:
oneHundredToOneAgainstAndFalling

To the more working class, which I believe is SignalHillHiker's neighbourhood:
butTheView

The second photo thread shows a lot of similar things to what SignalHillHiker showed. What it has that a lot of now development does not have is a sense of place. Ugly or not, it is a place, you know you're there and not somewhere else. It has feel for all its squalor. There is nothing uglier to me than nondescript I could be anywhere kind of thing. Sure every place has some buildings like what we see in St. John's, but few, if any, have the concentration of this and this overall feel.

I have drastically oversimplified this, but it might give an idea why SignalHillHiker thinks it is ludicrous.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Yes let's go with that.

On that topic isn't it convenient that Andrew Scheer is complaining about the trade deal now after complaining that they weren't signing a deal soon enough. He sounds like fucking Trump when he claims he would have gotten a better deal just because.

He also side stepped questions about his proposal to replace the carbon tax. I can see more Stephen Harper style LED lightbulb rebates. Woohoo! That will definitely tackle the existential crisis of our time. If it were in an outdoor venue I'd attend the Dog Fart / Jason Kenney Scrap the Carbon Tax rally to protest. Baby Boomer Conservatives are determined to fuck the planet cause they know they won't be around for the worst of it.

LOL, I 100% agree. I actually think no matter who was in power right now we would have had to bend at the knees over dairy just to appease the moron to our south. That's all he really cared about which is such a small part of our market and an even smaller part of theirs.

Speaking of ugly, DoFo tweeted like his Cheetos faced hero like to do that the feds better step in and bail out the dairy. He did this after they already announced they would. But hey his base will think it was his idea so that's all that matters.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:25 PM

I feel a bit sorry for Scheer on USMCA. Of course Canada made concessions, as every sentient Canadian knew they would. He is obliged by his position, however, to spin the fantasy that his party would somehow (not to be explained in any real world way) have negotiated a better treaty. Depending on how the partisan winds are blowing, he may even demand that Canada not sign/ratify this agreement (since he and his MPs can do precisely nothing to prevent its going forward, however they vote). The theatre isn't even good theatre anymore, it's just tedious.

Or perhaps the 2019 election will indeed be fought on whether or not Canada should withdraw from USMCA. That, at least, would be interesting...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Quick, alert the thread police! We need to maintain the Canadian purity of this forum.

P.S. Of course the groper in chief would appoint a black-out drunk sexual assaulter to the Supreme Court. Women are only good for sex. What a piece of shit.
Oh, HomeInMyShoes is correct. Sorry, I've accidentally given you the wrong impression.

1910 is basically a dividing line here. Surviving buildings and neighbourhoods built before it (basically the Downtown core, Georgestown, Hoylestown, etc.) are attractive and mostly protected. Neighbourhoods built after it, including mine - Rabbittown - and certainly everything modern - are mostly cheap and, while varyingly urban/engaging, ugly.

BTW, Georgestown literally does walks where neighbours tell each other about the history of their houses lol

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 2, 2018 at 9:49 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada