HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
Oh, you're one of those people.

Personally I think a black painted Dodge Charger is a much better police car design than some Volvo hatchback.
I guess I just like my cars modern and slick rather than beastly and menacing, both serve a purpose I suppose. To each his own

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 9:21 PM

[IMG] Victoria Police by Clayton Perry Photoworks, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 10:07 PM

The thread is about which looks best, and that's subjective of course. In a police chase though the Renault or some other European hot hatch would destroy the overweight Dodge Charger.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 11:57 PM
Heart of the Continent

No, the Charger would destroy the small European car...literally. The tactics used by NA police call for larger cars.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 12:23 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Ooh, Victoria looks amazing...

I still like Winnipeg's design with the black stripe more. I don't like the black car with one white door... it seems odd. Which makes me suspect I like Victoria's design because it's two doors that are white... I don't know.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 1:35 AM

Dodge Charger wins for me, and the Victoria one is really nice..... Someone complained in the local rag that it was too menacing and that it made him scared of the police or something along those lines....

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renthefinn View Post
Dodge Charger wins for me, and the Victoria one is really nice..... Someone complained in the local rag that it was too menacing and that it made him scared of the police or something along those lines....

I prefer the Crown Vic over the Charger, the driving experience is much nicer IMO. Plus there are nor V6 in Crown Vic (engine sound is just incredible when you hit the gas). But I have to admit that the new Charger's design is much better than the old one. They still have their problems though (i.e. rear view from driver seat is terrible especially with the police plexiglass). Still a good looking police car though especially when you compare to europe (Charger and Crown Vic are so much bigger than theirs) they look much more aggresive and "ready to attack" !

As for people complaining about Chargers being too "menacing and scary", well...LOL, i'm glad to see that there are imbeciles in other provinces and not only mine

- Jean: Mais voyons ce ne sont pas des chevals, ce sont des chevaux

- La blonde: ahhh bon!...pourtant sa ressemblait a des chevals

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Devil View Post

As for people complaining about Chargers being too "menacing and scary", well...LOL, i'm glad to see that there are imbeciles in other provinces and not only mine
Well that escalated quickly Must have pretty thin skin to get so worked up over someone's opinion on police cars...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 2:51 AM

Ottawa's old police colours:

And the new colours that the new police cars will have:

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 3:10 AM

Loving Ottawa's new cars!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 8:56 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Smaller work force, lower wages. Less manufacturing jobs. Another brainwashed Canadian who doesn't realize the importance of the middle class.

Just curious, how much do you think an assembly line worker should be paid?
"Brainwashed" indeed. Can you explain to me how all the auto workers at Toyota's Woodstock plant and Honda's Alliston plant are able to lead productive, middle-class lives without being part of a union?

I would consider Toyota's starting wage of $25/hour to be fair for a new assembly line worker. Raises would depend on productivity and experience.

Quote:
The thread is about which looks best, and that's subjective of course. In a police chase though the Renault or some other European hot hatch would destroy the overweight Dodge Charger.
Delusional much?

Dodge Charger: 370 horsepower V8, 395 lb-ft of torque, curb weight 3961 lbs, 186.82 horsepower/ton

Renault Megane RS: 250 horsepower, 340 lb-ft of torque, curb weight 3057 lbs, 163.56 horsepower/ton

Having that extra weight and heft to throw around also helps when Police chases get physical. If you recall from Top Gear, European police forces tend to avoid damaging their cars; American ones smash them up regularly, and then just send them off to have the frame straightened.

Also keep in mind the RS is a special car produced in limited quantities (the Gendarmerie, for example, only bought 70 of them) whereas the V8 Charger makes up the vast majority of North American DCPI sales (most figures I've seen seem to peg it around 75-80%). Most European police departments continue using underpowered diesels (I found the Citroen C4s in Spain to be particularly amusing). The RS is also the top trim level with the most powerful engine; the Charger uses the standard V8 (5.7L HEMI). If police departments equipped it with the 6.4L V8, it would kick out 470 horsepower, more than enough to take on any mainstream European production car. On top of that, it's RWD, meaning you're not going to get catastrophic understeer when your 250hp FWD vehicle has to make a sharp turn and you can perform the PIT maneuver a little more easily. I believe, though, the Megane would definitely have the edge on handling (not like this matters in Canada) and top speed. But would it "destroy" a Charger? Not a chance.

...and this is coming from someone who normally hates Chrysler products.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 9:28 PM
HVAC guru

^ The Chargers were the logical choice for sure. However, when I drove one I noticed how low you sit in it, and it's really restrictive to look behind you. Comparatively, the old Crown Vics were like fish bowls... they had excellent vision from the drivers seat all around.

Back on topic, I remember when the RCMP got their Camaro Z-28's for patolling the Coquihalla way back in the day. Those were sharp looking cop cars!

Burnaby ran Volvo S70 T-5's for a short period... they were cool looking cars but like most FWD's couldn't take the punishment, along with the likes of Impalas and Tauruses

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 10:11 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

The new Ottawa cars look great. The Taurus isn't as aggressive looking as the Charger IMO but it sure beats the old Vics and Caprice's

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
"Brainwashed" indeed. Can you explain to me how all the auto workers at Toyota's Woodstock plant and Honda's Alliston plant are able to lead productive, middle-class lives without being part of a union?

I would consider Toyota's starting wage of $25/hour to be fair for a new assembly line worker. Raises would depend on productivity and experience.

Delusional much?

Dodge Charger: 370 horsepower V8, 395 lb-ft of torque, curb weight 3961 lbs, 186.82 horsepower/ton

Renault Megane RS: 250 horsepower, 340 lb-ft of torque, curb weight 3057 lbs, 163.56 horsepower/ton

Having that extra weight and heft to throw around also helps when Police chases get physical. If you recall from Top Gear, European police forces tend to avoid damaging their cars; American ones smash them up regularly, and then just send them off to have the frame straightened.

Also keep in mind the RS is a special car produced in limited quantities (the Gendarmerie, for example, only bought 70 of them) whereas the V8 Charger makes up the vast majority of North American DCPI sales (most figures I've seen seem to peg it around 75-80%). Most European police departments continue using underpowered diesels (I found the Citroen C4s in Spain to be particularly amusing). The RS is also the top trim level with the most powerful engine; the Charger uses the standard V8 (5.7L HEMI). If police departments equipped it with the 6.4L V8, it would kick out 470 horsepower, more than enough to take on any mainstream European production car. On top of that, it's RWD, meaning you're not going to get catastrophic understeer when your 250hp FWD vehicle has to make a sharp turn and you can perform the PIT maneuver a little more easily. I believe, though, the Megane would definitely have the edge on handling (not like this matters in Canada) and top speed. But would it "destroy" a Charger? Not a chance.

...and this is coming from someone who normally hates Chrysler products.
The weight you have for the Charger seems a few hundred pounds low. I don't have the luxury of driving every different car, but from what I've seen on Top Gear, the lighter European cars always perform better on the track. If I'm in a Ronin type car chase, the Renault is probably at a big advantage. I believe most of the Dodge Chargers used are the v6 models with the 5.7 used more minimally for highway patrol.

As far as wages for autoworkers go... I'm not sure why somebody would be against employees sitting down with employers to work out a fair deal. Looking back, we've seen why unions are necessary, and looking at today we see why unions are still very important. We have rich corporations exploiting people in 3rd world countries, bidding down wages with each country they relocate to without any regard to the poor standard of living and working conditions they provide their employees. Unions=Democracy. That's why corporations love China - Communist dictatorship.

Last edited by logan5; Sep 25, 2012 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 6:24 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
The weight you have for the Charger seems a few hundred pounds low. I don't have the luxury of driving every different car, but from what I've seen on Top Gear, the lighter European cars always perform better on the track. If I'm in a Ronin type car chase, the Renault is probably at a big advantage. I believe most of the Dodge Chargers used are the v6 models with the 5.7 used more minimally for highway patrol.
Thanks for pointing out the weight; that was for the Pentastar V6, the HEMI V8 is actually 4,253 lbs because of the extra metal needed for that monster engine. Which means power/weight is closer to 174 hp/ton. The contest is closer than I thought. I recall reading that the vast majority of Chargers were HEMI-equipped, but I don't really feel like hunting for the statistic at this point. As the Moody Blues would say, I know it's out there somewhere...

European performance cars do better on the track, but good track results don't always translate into good real-world results. Clarkson is always complaining about how useless the C63 AMG is on actual roads, after all. Also, as 240glt pointed out, FWD cars don't like taking damage as much.

Quote:
As far as wages for autoworkers go... I'm not sure why somebody would be against employees sitting down with employers to work out a fair deal. Looking back, we've seen why unions are necessary, and looking at today we see why unions are still very important.
I have nothing wrong with employees working out a fair deal with their employers. Nor do I think Unions are completely irrelevant at this point. What I don't like is having Unions misrepresent the facts to their employees and the public (a la EMD) and then proceed to make unreasonable and politically-motivated demands that may result in plant closures and the loss of jobs.

Quote:
We have rich corporations exploiting people in 3rd world countries, bidding down wages with each country they relocate to without any regard to the poor standard of living and working conditions they provide their employees. Unions=Democracy. That's why corporations love China - Communist dictatorship.
Apple seems to be particularly guilty of this, and yet ironically many of their most Liberal customers turn a blind eye and continue to go after the likes of GM and Citi.

Unions are not really democracy incarnate; if they were more open to the idea of core and non-core dues, or even open shop, then maybe I'd agree with you. But as it stands, they monopolize power in the workplace and impede individual bargaining, and even force members to donate to political causes they may not support (via union dues). Now, I've said this before, but the love affair Western corporations have with China is going to come back to bite them in the ass. Unless the Communist government collapses or becomes considerably more open and democratic (and begins to resemble- dare I say it- Taiwan), they are playing the game for one reason and one reason only: to gain access to Western technology, and use it for their own ends. Look up the story of how SAIC (state-controlled auto company) stole SsangYong's hybrid technology- they could get away with it because puny South Korea wasn't going to be able to retaliate in any measurable way.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:16 PM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
The new Ottawa cars look great. The Taurus isn't as aggressive looking as the Charger IMO but it sure beats the old Vics and Caprice's
Would have been better if they made the Taurus RWD though... I don't understand why anyone would buy a large FWD car.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
Would have been better if they made the Taurus RWD though... I don't understand why anyone would buy a large FWD car.
The Crown vics and Chargers weight nothing at the back over the wheels, all tho they are gripping to the pavement like hell in the summer, they are like ice skates in the winter even with the best winter tires around and a trunk full of gear, they get stuck everywhere and just for that, I like the idea of a 4wd better than a RWD

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 2:03 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
Mostly for interior space. Big front-wheel drive cars like the Chrysler LHS or the Volvo S80 have lots of room for passengers because you've removed the intrusive drivetrain. However, I notice that German RWD vehicles are also very efficient with interior space, so I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
The Crown vics and Chargers weight nothing at the back over the wheels, all tho they are gripping to the pavement like hell in the summer, they are like ice skates in the winter even with the best winter tires around and a trunk full of gear, they get stuck everywhere and just for that, I like the idea of a 4wd better than a RWD
Vics are bad in the snow because they have the world's worst traction control system (or just none at all). Chargers are actually quite a bit better but any RWD vehicle is going to suck once things get slippery. Auto enthusiasts who tell you otherwise are delusional. I personally find 4WD makes things a bit too complicated from a mechanical viewpoint, so not good for fleet vehicles but fantastic for consumers (there is a reason why Subaru sells more cars per capita here than the US)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 2:57 PM
Utilisateur enregistré

The Sherbrooke Police Service began to replace some of their Crown Victorias with Interceptors.

LA TRIBUNE, RENÉ-CHARLES QUIRION

98,5 fm

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 5:44 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Toronto police cars in the 80s, usually mistaken for taxis by tourists.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada