HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
the conventional wisdom is that a NFL star would utterly dominate in the CFL.
I am struggling think of a player that came from the NFL (either a cut or a free agent) and completely dominated the CFL.

I mean, a lot of the CFL's best players have NFL experience, but those guys are by no means the "cream of the crop" of the CFL. There are a ton of players that get cut from both leagues in the same year. The CFL is a pro league, and its talent level is much closer to the majority of talent found in the NFL than what a lot of people believe. Like I said though, the main difference is the size of players each league benefits from.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 10:16 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post

His running partner in Miami that year (meaning he wasn't a guaranteed starter) put up the exact same YPC and 300 more all-purpose yards, yet no one considers Ronnie Brown to be a star.
This is getting dumb now.

Ricky Williams was a Heisman Trophy winner and had five 1000+ rushing seasons, including 1,372 yards in his last full season prior to joining the CFL and 1,121 yards in 2009 (the 10th best in the NFL) three years after leaving the CFL. And as mentioned, Ricky Williams was the 9th most productive rusher in YPC in the NFL during the season immediately prior to joining the CFL.

Your attempt to argue that Ricky Williams was washed-up prior to joining the CFL is both laughable and futile. He was a formidable NFL running back and was still in his prime when he joined the CFL, where even a quarterback rushed for more yards than he did. That's reality. Now can you deal with it?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
What do you actually know about the NFL?

When Ricky Williams came to the CFL he was one of the most talented running backs in the NFL and in his prime. He played in the CFL in 2006 because he was suspended from the NFL for one year for testing positive for marijuana. During one full season in the CFL, he had the lowest rushing yards of the eight starting running backs in the league. After his 2006 stint in the CFL, he played five more seasons in the NFL, rushing for 1,121 yards in 2008 for Miami.
Did Ricky Williams even take the CFL seriously though when he joined?
In any case, that's going to happen from once in a while no doubt. It's just far and few between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
But if the NFL is such a better league talent-wise, even their "washed-up" players should roll over everyone in the CFL, right? Or even do decent?

The fact is, they don't and never have. They can't even cut it in the CFL. The talent level between the NFL and CFL is very close.
Sorry, you're wrong. Washed up is washed up... it doesn't matter what league you play in... and that's how the CFL are getting these ex-NFL'ers - when they're washed up.

And saying that the talent level of the CFL and NFL are very close is like saying the talent level of the AHL and NHL are close. That's what happens when a league has first dibs on all the best players. To make it worse, the CFL has an import rule - which means they aren't even getting the best "leftovers" possible because they have to field so many Canadians - who for the most part never went through the much better development program in the US. Hell, the CFL are even talking about reducing the number of Canadian starters because there's not enough talent coming from Canada.

Lastly, I know a couple of people who've played in the CFL - and they both tried out for a few NFL teams and have told me that it's a night and day difference. There were out-sized and out-skilled at every level by players who themselves couldn't even make the teams. I also know a few others who've tried out for both the CFL and NFL and didn't make the cut in either - but they say the same thing - two different worlds in talent-level.

I can respect the fact that some CFL players go to the NFL and shine, but overall - you can't compare the two leagues.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
This is getting dumb now.

Ricky Williams was a Heisman Trophy winner and had five 1000+ rushing seasons, including 1,372 yards in his last full season prior to joining the CFL and 1,121 yards in 2009 (the 10th best in the NFL) three years after leaving the CFL. And as mentioned, Ricky Williams was the 9th most productive rusher in YPC in the NFL during the season immediately prior to joining the CFL.

Your attempt to argue that Ricky Williams was washed-up prior to joining the CFL is both laughable and futile. He was a formidable NFL running back and was still in his prime when he joined the CFL, where even a quarterback rushed for more yards than he did. That's reality. Now can you deal with it?
I have no personal agenda in this discussion, so there is nothing to deal with. I saw a point that I thought was incorrect and seeked to address it. Ricky Williams was at one point the best RB in the NFL. He had a drug problem and retired for a year, at which point he was no longer a top RB. He put up mediocre numbers in his season before joining the CFL, he put up mediocre numbers in the CFL and he slowly started to improve upon his return to the NFL.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:11 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post

He put up mediocre numbers in his season before joining the CFL...
Dude, in his season before joining the CFL, Ricky Williams was the 8th most productive running back in the entire NFL in rushing yards per carry. That puts him among the elite in the NFL that season.

In the following year in the CFL, he was in the bottom half of CFL running backs.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:37 AM

Great, accept if you only look at YPC than RB stats are useless. When you're part of a 3 member+ backfield than your numbers are skewed depending on where and when you get carries. The top 5 in YPC last year consisted of the likes of Lagourette Blount, Andre Ellington, and Donald Brown. All of who are middling talents at best (Ellington has potential). Until you can sustain those numbers as a 200+ touch lead back than they don't mean much to me.

However this discussion has grown past its usefulness (if it ever had that) , and I agree that just because a player is good in the NFL doesn't mean they would dominate in Canada. Admittedly I'm also quite enjoying the Tiger-cats game right now.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:58 AM

Here is my contribution from a source that would know, re the NFL/CFL debate. He has forgotten more about football than anyone here would know. Doug Flutie played in the CFL almost 20 years ago when Canadian talent was nowhere near as good as it has become due to the "professionalizing" of many Canadian college football programs since his heyday, so the caliber of the Canadian trained player has gotten better

‘You couldn’t tell me winning a Super Bowl would feel any nicer’
In eight CFL seasons, Doug Flutie was named Most Outstanding Player six times. He played in four Grey Cups, winning three. TSN voted him the greatest player of all time. Here’s why Canada’s brand of football is No. 1 in his heart
Doug Flutie SI MMQB July 2014

I miss playing in the CFL, no doubt about it. Boy, it was a lot of fun. People in America have no clue what goes on up there, or about the quality of football we had. That’s what made the experience for me. Most of the guys were NFL-caliber talent, but were undersized or just didn’t fit the mold in one way or another.

My CFL career started in 1990, with the BC Lions, and I didn’t know what to expect. But I could tell I was going to be viewed as a backup in the NFL, and you only have so many years to play this game, and I wanted to play. So I figured I’d give the CFL a whirl. When I first went up to Canada, I thought I’d put in two years up there and then try to get back to the NFL. But I enjoyed it so much, I wound up making a career out of it.

The game in Canada was more exciting, more explosive, more wide open. It was what the NFL is now becoming. We were going no huddle, over the ball, from the time I got up there. No-back sets, six wide receivers, throwing the ball all over the field. There is a 20-second clock between plays rather than 40. It just creates a pace that the NFL is now realizing to be more exciting—and actually more effective. The NFL is turning into a no-huddle, up-tempo, fast-paced, throw-the-football type of game now. The CFL has been that for the past 30 years.

By the time I finished up in the CFL, I was basically my own offensive coordinator, calling all the plays on the field. We had our playbook, but I had my ideas from watching film during the week of game-planning and seeing things on the field. My whole theory at quarterback was to keep my receivers from having to think too much. Let them just be full speed and go. Rather than making them read everything on the fly and then adjusting, I would give them a route and they would just run it. I told them, “I’ll deal with the pressure, I’ll deal with the hot reads, I’ll build something in where I’ll get rid of the ball quickly.”

When I played in Toronto, we were playing a regular-season game against Edmonton, and I called a quarterback draw. The running back, Robert Drummond, was going to run a swing route to try to pull a linebacker with him. But the linebacker lined up on the edge, and it was an all-out blitz, so there was nothing in the middle of the field. It was either going to be a touchdown or we were going to be stopped at the line of scrimmage. Drummond was faster than I was, so just before the ball was snapped, in the middle of my cadence, I said, “Hey, just jump in and take the snap direct and run the draw.” He busted it for like a 70-yard touchdown.

Another time, we were going into the Grey Cup against Saskatchewan in 1997, and they had been giving us headaches with their zone blitzes. Instead of changing all of our pass protections and really worrying about it, I built in a hitch screen. Every time they came with a blitz from one side of the field, I would just turn and throw the hitch screen. They tried to zone blitz three or four times in the first quarter, and we averaged like 18 yards a catch off this silly little hitch screen to a back or wide receiver. And they quit doing it. We just lit them up. We scored a mess of points and had a really efficient day.

To do that in the NFL, though, it would probably have to be a coordinator’s idea. And then you would have to clear it with the offensive line coach, to make sure you can block all this stuff. Then you would have to execute it a couple of days in practice, and if it looked OK, it would make its way into the game plan. In the CFL, I was in a position where if I saw something in the middle of the game, I could just put it in without having to ask anybody. As long as you keep it simple enough, guys can just react and go. The NFL, for years, has been a copycat league. A coach would have to see something be successful elsewhere before he was willing to try it—and the league has been very slow to change because of that.

I’ll tell you what drove me nuts more than anything: I went from calling my own plays in the CFL, then back to the NFL for eight seasons, where I had a radio in my helmet and as soon as one play ended, the coaches were talking to you in the helmet for 20 seconds. It took so long to get a play call in, and your first thought was, What is the coach looking for? rather than, What do I want to do here?

During my days with the Buffalo Bills, we were a running, play-action team that played really good defense in low-scoring games. You adapt, and you do it that way. But boy, the mindset was different. When I was in the CFL, I was very aggressive. Aggressive in my play-calling; aggressive in my decision-making. In the NFL, I became much more passive, trying to do what I thought the coaches wanted me to do all the time.

Of course, when you’ve got a Peyton Manning, a Tom Brady or a Drew Brees—a guy who has been in an offense for a number of years—the trust factor goes up. The coaches start letting go of the reins and let quarterbacks have much more of a say. But I never got to that point with an NFL team, where I was there long enough (or starting long enough) to gain that trust. In the NFL, with what’s at stake money-wise and the pressure on coaches, they want total control because their necks are on the line.

In the CFL, it was more of a game. And it was a lot more fun. The length of the workday really helped with that, too. By CBA rule, they could only keep us there 4½ hours. In the NFL, it’s 10- to 12-hour days, every day, and it becomes a grind. I know the NFL is a big business, and it’s getting more complicated and tougher, but the burnout level, especially for quarterbacks, is crazy. I just wish there were some way around that, to somehow keep the fun in the game.

I was actually, for a while, making more money in the CFL working a 4½ hour workday than I would have in the NFL with a 12-hour workday. And I was in total control of the offense. You can see why I enjoyed it so much. I’d go in around 10 a.m., watch some film on my own and do some game-planning, grab lunch, and then start the day with the team at 1 p.m. We’d end by 5:30.

I’m pretty sure the trajectory of my career would have been different today. I would have been in a position to be more successful in the NFL running some of these current styles of offenses, and I think an NFL team would have been more open to turning me into a franchise guy if things went well. I was always viewed by NFL teams as a band-aid: A guy who could help us win, keep us competitive, and while he’s doing that, we’re going to go find our franchise quarterback. It has turned into a little bit different mentality now with the success of guys like Brees and Russell Wilson, and the success of the spread offenses in the NFL.

But the CFL gave me so much. When I left Toronto for Buffalo, I was 35 and I was ready to retire. I figured I’d come back to the NFL for maybe a year or two, just to prove I could do it. I ended up playing another eight years. That was just crazy. The CFL gave me the opportunity to be a starter, regain my confidence, and then come back and be a starter in the NFL. And, I got to play eight games with my younger brother, Darren. We were both with the BC Lions in 1991.

Another thing I’ll always remember is how fanatical the fans are up in Canada. Especially in some of the smaller markets, this is their football and they love their teams. You can draw a parallel with just about every city to a team in America. Saskatchewan reminds me a lot of Green Bay. They live for their team. Hamilton, with its blue-collar fans, is Pittsburgh. Calgary would be Denver—you’re at an altitude, and everybody who goes into Calgary to play is out of breath.

Calgary is where I won my first CFL championship, in 1992. We played against Edmonton in the Western final to go to the Grey Cup, and we had to drive the length of the field, into the wind, in the last seconds to win that game. I ended up running the ball in from a few yards out for the winning score. That was my shining moment that season.

Then we played the Grey Cup in Toronto, and I just remember dominating the game against Winnipeg. The last minute or two, I was standing on the sideline with Dave Sapunjis, my receiver and best friend on the team, putting on our Grey Cup champions hats, and playing to our crowd behind our bench. It was just a moment in time for me. You couldn’t tell me winning a Super Bowl would feel any nicer.

Last edited by elly63; Aug 1, 2014 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Lastly, I know a couple of people who've played in the CFL - and they both tried out for a few NFL teams...
So do I. And these people played in both leagues and said the only difference was the sizes of players at certain positions and the number of players invited to camp.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
So do I. And these people played in both leagues and said the only difference was the sizes of players at certain positions and the number of players invited to camp.

I wouldn't be surprised if those people Berklon "knew" were walk-ons.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if those people Berklon "knew" were walk-ons.
Ummm...no.

And here's a question. If the CFL has roughly the same level of talent as the NFL, why aren't the worst NFL teams stocking up on the best CFL players?

If I were GM of the Cleveland Browns, who suck every year, why would I continue to sit at the bottom of the league scraping for a few free agent NFL signings and try to make something of my draft picks - when I can just raid the CFL of all/many of their best players - at a cheaper price? I'd be stupid to field the worst group of players in the league with all this amazing talent available across the border ready to sign with my team at the drop of a hat at the league minimum salary in most cases.

The answer is that with the exception of a few CFL players who crack an NFL lineup, the best CFL players aren't good enough to play on the worst NFL teams.

Like what you like... there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a fan of the CFL, AHL, MLS, etc - but don't try to sell people on the talent being close to other bigger leagues... because it's not.

That's the last point I'll make on this discussion, as I don't want to come across as someone bashing the league or putting people down for liking it (I used to be a big fan years ago) - I'm not. I just like to be realistic. My apologies for my rant.

To change topics, it's 2014 - why hasn't there been any real movement on Halifax (or some other city out east) getting a CFL franchise? I remember being in elementary school 30+ years ago hearing all this talk of the "Atlantic Schooners" in Nova Scotia coming to the CFL - but it never materialized:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Schooners

At this point I can't believe it still hasn't happened. I would figure a University out east somewhere would partner with a potential CFL owner to build a bare-bones 20,000 seat stadium to make it happen.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 2:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Ummm...no.

And here's a question. If the CFL has roughly the same level of talent as the NFL, why aren't the worst NFL teams stocking up on the best CFL players?

If I were GM of the Cleveland Browns, who suck every year, why would I continue to sit at the bottom of the league scraping for a few free agent NFL signings and try to make something of my draft picks - when I can just raid the CFL of all/many of their best players - at a cheaper price? I'd be stupid to field the worst group of players in the league with all this amazing talent available across the border ready to sign with my team at the drop of a hat at the league minimum salary in most cases.

The answer is that with the exception of a few CFL players who crack an NFL lineup, the best CFL players aren't good enough to play on the worst NFL teams.

Like what you like... there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a fan of the CFL, AHL, MLS, etc - but don't try to sell people on the talent being close to other bigger leagues... because it's not.

That's the last point I'll make on this discussion, as I don't want to come across as someone bashing the league or putting people down for liking it (I used to be a big fan years ago) - I'm not. I just like to be realistic. My apologies for my rant.

Personally I would never claim that the overall talent in the CFL is on par with the NFL, but the issue I have is when people say that the CFL talent level is so low that it makes it not even worth watching.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 3:36 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

To be honest, most of the CFL bashing is in response to slights against Toronto or anti-Toronto behaviour, perceived or otherwise. For example, im all over several soccer related forums and related news articles/blogs and every time Toronto FC, a Toronto NFL team or a Canadian soccer league is discussed, some random twat named RidersFan4Life or CFLrulez, etc. will say something to the effect of:
"F**k MLS, Toronto is not going to get an NFL team this century or ever!! Soccer is for pansies, never gonna happen, Toronto sports fans are a bunch of anti-Canadian heritage wannabe Americans, we will do whatever we can to discourage soccer or NFL from that city! World class city my a*s!". This is swiftly followed by irrate Torontonians hitting back at the poster and what will hurt them the most (bashing their beloved CFL) and so on and so forth. Toronto sports fans who want the growth of soccer or an NFL team in their city are not anti-CFL, they just want more options, more shiny toys to play with if you will, the belief that they are trying to undermine the CFL is purely a perception from CFL'ers who believe the CFL can't stand on its own merits if Toronto gets another football brand. Sports should stand on their own merits (though I understand the value of public funding of stadiums) and heritage shouldn't be an excuse for the city bashing that goes on otherwise we could bash other cities for not focusing on Lacrosse and snowshoe racing. Build your city and your country up, don't try to pull down the edifices that other cities build. What we build will not drag down what you are building unless you're riding on our coattails, in which case a sense of entitlement and aggressiveness will win you no sympathy, only reason and mutual interest will. Oddly enough, I don't ever recall Argos fans bashing Toronto teams like TFC or the NFL, its always some prairie city CFL fan on a Toronto soccer blog/forum.
Before some of you guys shoot the messenger, please remember that most Torontonians are nowhere near as outspoken or direct as people like me. They'll tend to turn the other cheek and quietly do what they feel is in their best interests anyway. If you guys are smart, you will take these insights and alter your approach, because quite frankly the boosters out there are making CFL fans look quite bad and are not serving their cause. As much as I want the CFL to prosper, im really turned off by the aggreeiveness, manipulative logic (most Torontonians can see through that stuff but won't come out and say it, their actions speak for them), immigrant baiting and entitlement complex of many of the more outspoken CFL fans.

Last edited by mistercorporate; Aug 1, 2014 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:
And saying that the talent level of the CFL and NFL are very close is like saying the talent level of the AHL and NHL are close.
No, it's more like comparing the talent in the NHL and KHL. They're the top leagues in their respective regions, they play on different sized playing surfaces, and they value different skill sets. NHL players are usually better but not always, and NHL stars don't always thrive in the KHL.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
To be honest, most of the CFL bashing is in response to slights against Toronto or anti-Toronto behaviour, perceived or otherwise. For example, im all over several soccer related forums and related news articles/blogs and every time Toronto FC, a Toronto NFL team or a Canadian soccer league is discussed, some random twat named RidersFan4Life or CFLrulez, etc. will say something to the effect of:
"F**k MLS, Toronto is not going to get an NFL team this century or ever!! Soccer is for pansies, never gonna happen, Toronto sports fans are a bunch of anti-Canadian heritage wannabe Americans, we will do whatever we can to discourage soccer or NFL from that city! World class city my a*s!". This is swiftly followed by irrate Torontonians hitting back at the poster and what will hurt them the most (bashing their beloved CFL) and so on and so forth. Toronto sports fans who want the growth of soccer or an NFL team in their city are not anti-CFL, they just want more options, more shiny toys to play with if you will, the belief that they are trying to undermine the CFL is purely a perception from CFL'ers who believe the CFL can't stand on its own merits if Toronto gets another football brand. Sports should stand on their own merits (though I understand the value of public funding of stadiums) and heritage shouldn't be an excuse for the city bashing that goes on otherwise we could bash other cities for not focusing on Lacrosse and snowshoe racing. Build your city and your country up, don't try to pull down the edifices that other cities build. What we build will not drag down what you are building unless you're riding on our coattails, in which case a sense of entitlement and aggressiveness will win you no sympathy, only reason and mutual interest will. Oddly enough, I don't ever recall Argos fans bashing Toronto teams like TFC or the NFL, its always some prairie city CFL fan on a Toronto soccer blog/forum.
Before some of you guys shoot the messenger, please remember that most Torontonians are nowhere near as outspoken or direct as people like me. They'll tend to turn the other cheek and quietly do what they feel is in their best interests anyway. If you guys are smart, you will take these insights and alter your approach, because quite frankly the boosters out there are making CFL fans look quite bad and are not serving their cause. As much as I want the CFL to prosper, im really turned off by the aggreeiveness, manipulative logic (most Torontonians can see through that stuff but won't come out and say it, their actions speak for them), immigrant baiting and entitlement complex of many of the more outspoken CFL fans.
Some good points and a few thin skinned comments.
This outsiders view from the prairie is this: there is no way the average Toronto sports fan is going to be forced to support a specific team or league. They have to make that choice. It is the overt undermining of the CFL by the likes of Rogers and the Toronto Star. Like it or not the national media is based in Toronto and when certain aspects of that media is overtly anti-CFL then the citizens of that city get lumped in with the backlash that will come from the hinterland.
If the national media was based in Regina then you guys would be pissed at us for not covering enough Jays and Leafs!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 5:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Some good points and a few thin skinned comments.
This outsiders view from the prairie is this: there is no way the average Toronto sports fan is going to be forced to support a specific team or league. They have to make that choice. It is the overt undermining of the CFL by the likes of Rogers and the Toronto Star. Like it or not the national media is based in Toronto and when certain aspects of that media is overtly anti-CFL then the citizens of that city get lumped in with the backlash that will come from the hinterland.
If the national media was based in Regina then you guys would be pissed at us for not covering enough Jays and Leafs!
This is suuuuuuuuuuch a good comment.

Yeah, I am sure that in the corporate boardrooms of Rogers, CTV, Global, etc. they are saying:

"Grrrr. Those buggers on the Prairies are showing disrespect for our beloved Hogtown! Let's show 'em who's boss by waiting until all of the NFL highlights, even the battle of the bottom feeders in the AFC South, before we even talk about the Grey Cup! That'll show those bumpkins!"

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is suuuuuuuuuuch a good comment.

Yeah, I am sure that in the corporate boardrooms of Rogers, CTV, Global, etc. they are saying:

"Grrrr. Those buggers on the Prairies are showing disrespect for our beloved Hogtown! Let's show 'em who's boss by waiting until all of the NFL highlights, even the battle of the bottom feeders in the AFC South, before we even talk about the Grey Cup! That'll show those bumpkins!"
Come on now, there is no question that the media has a great role in shaping popular tastes. The Toronto Star is the most influential local newspaper in Canada and it has had scant CFL coverage for over a decade... I swear, the U of Manitoba Bisons football team gets more press in Winnipeg than the Argos get in Toronto.

As we all know, Sportsnet relegates the CFL to also-ran status... not surprising given that its corporate parent benefits when sports fans opt to watch baseball. Also, for quite a few years when Paul Godfrey was behind the push for a NFL team in Toronto, the Toronto Sun was outspokenly dismissive of the CFL (although that has changed ever since Quebecor took over).

Contrast that with what you get out west... the Winnipeg media covers the Bombers with the same degree of comprehensiveness as the NHL gets. Not surprising therefore that people will talk about the team and be interested in it. My mom is a sixtysomething immigrant who barely has a grasp on the rules of football, but she will watch every Bomber game because the day after, it'll be the topic of conversation among colleagues and friends... that would never happen in Toronto with the Argos. Media has a large role in that.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 7:02 PM

I find TSN to be pretty balanced in terms of coverage. You might see a commercial for Thursday Night Football or the "Risky Business" segment on Sportscentre, but it's obvious that their primary focus is the CFL. Makes sense given the broadcasting deal they have with them. In terms of Rogers, I can only see Sportsnet Ontario so I don't what it's like out west, but they seem to be only focused on hockey and basketball here. Once again, makes sense given their stake in both franchises. In terms of National media exposure, what else is there?

I didn't know anyone used the newspaper for sports news.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 7:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Come on now, there is no question that the media has a great role in shaping popular tastes. The Toronto Star is the most influential local newspaper in Canada and it has had scant CFL coverage for over a decade... I swear, the U of Manitoba Bisons football team gets more press in Winnipeg than the Argos get in Toronto.

As we all know, Sportsnet relegates the CFL to also-ran status... not surprising given that its corporate parent benefits when sports fans opt to watch baseball. Also, for quite a few years when Paul Godfrey was behind the push for a NFL team in Toronto, the Toronto Sun was outspokenly dismissive of the CFL (although that has changed ever since Quebecor took over).

Contrast that with what you get out west... the Winnipeg media covers the Bombers with the same degree of comprehensiveness as the NHL gets. Not surprising therefore that people will talk about the team and be interested in it. My mom is a sixtysomething immigrant who barely has a grasp on the rules of football, but she will watch every Bomber game because the day after, it'll be the topic of conversation among colleagues and friends... that would never happen in Toronto with the Argos. Media has a large role in that.
I think we are basically saying the same thing. Aren't we?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think we are basically saying the same thing. Aren't we?
Except I'm not being sarcastic

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 8:31 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

I don't want to come across as someone bashing the league or putting people down for liking it.
LOL! I think it's about two years too late for that. Your obsessive bigotry against the CFL (as opposed to just being an NFL fan) is already legendary on these threads. Like all forms of bigotry, however, your obsession with ridiculing the CFL at every opportunity has been backed-up with nothing but ignorance and it has been mildly amusing watching your not-well-thought-out attacks get refuted over and over again.

It would almost be a shame if you stopped providing us with a daily laugh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada