HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 10:18 PM
Nashville born and raised

And the latest rising and proposed mashup...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 10:23 PM

Sorry, bumping up to new page..too much work to get lost on back pages!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
A year end compilation of major projects completed, rising and proposed in Nashville.

First, the recently completed projects of note....

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
The under construction projects...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
And the proposed projects...

Latest announcement and very promising...

April 2017 Groundbreaking

Likely but later...

Promising...

We'll see...

Hopeful...

Probably...

Likely...

Likely also...

Promising...

Close...

Likely...

Took a big step toward happening. Very likely...

Hopeful...

No news for a while...??

Start delayed...no word why...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 2:15 PM

Another Germantown Development...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 4:53 PM

My 2016 Xmas Wish List for Nashville
  1. All planned projects get the financial backing and approvals needed.
  2. Lake Palmer is purchased by someone else and an announcement of a new major development for the site.
  3. The major office/residential complex that was announced for the southern part of SoBro will resurface and get approved with height variances.
  4. MDHA will overturn it's choice of projects for the trolley barn property and select one of the better designed submissions.
  5. All the car dealers on Broadway are relocated to make way for a major retail, entertainment, residential and office development. This should include an urban Target Store.
  6. The area between Church Street and Charlotte Pike in mid-town will see announcements for a couple of 20-30 story buildings.
  7. IKEA announces it's buying up much of the property in the Trinity Lane area west of I-24/65 and will build a new store to start the transformation of the area.
  8. Transformation of the East Bank will begin including relocating the metal recycling company.
  9. TSU announces firm plans to build a new on-campus football stadium and developers begin focusing on the western portion of the Jefferson Street Corridor.
  10. An announcement that at least one 50+ story office building will be built in downtown or SoBro.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 7:13 PM
Future God

It was just announced today that the project below is not happening. The land owner decided to sell his property to Vanderbilt. Ah well, you can't win them all. I can't say I'm surprised by this news, to be honest.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 2:45 PM

I was hopeful that it would be built but given the "so-called" developer I suspected it would not. He seems to be about acquiring land and reselling as opposed to really developing projects. I can't recall if they had already done demolition work or not and if Noshville had already closed. Kind of sad if they did and it turns out they didn't really need to. Vanderbilt probably won't do anything with that property anytime soon. Of course it would be nice if they consider developing it in the same manner as it was proposed or do something better.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
It was just announced today that the project below is not happening. The land owner decided to sell his property to Vanderbilt. Ah well, you can't win them all. I can't say I'm surprised by this news, to be honest.
It may be a while, but I think whatever happens will be a plus to the neighborhood. The Vandy insider on UP seems to think they want to do some bold academic development on all the land they now own along Broadway from the campus to this new purchase. He dismissed the idea of putting up the new stadium here. It would create a traffic nightmare, anyway, in addition to having no place to tailgate.

But about the stadium; the Athletic Director has been very tight-lipped about anything other than the University is looking into building a completely new, 35 to 40 thousand seat stadium, sooner than later. It may be on the site of the existing stadium (they play in the Titans stadium for a couple of years) or on a large undeveloped piece of land across the street currently used as surface parking. No other information or rendering has been released.

However, that doesn't stop me from working up my own FANTASY RENDER based on Alabama State's stadium in Montgomery.

My FANTASY RENDERING OF A NEW VANDERBILT FOOTBALL STADIUM!!
40,000 SEATS

Also related to all this news is the serious effort to attract a Major League Soccer franchise to Nashville. The City has budgeted $50 million towards a stadium and the state has agreed to extensive tax breaks to help. A partnership with Vanderbilt was mentioned in articles about the soccer effort, so we may hear something one way or another by January 31, 2017 when the application is due. There are some serious players pushing the effort.

Alas, all this is speculation is wonderful for the 'It City', but it's not an IKEA. So sad!!

NOT!!!!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 8:05 PM

Pillowtalk, you mentioned construction of a new stadium for Tennessee State University (TSU). That would be wonderful. With a 20,000+ seat on-campus stadium, easily expandable to 40,000, maybe located on the hill overlooking the river, I can see TSU moving up to the FBS level someday. If Western Kentucky can do it and be a top 25 FBS team, surely TSU could with it's tradition and location in Nashville.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Pillowtalk, you mentioned construction of a new stadium for Tennessee State University (TSU). That would be wonderful. With a 20,000+ seat on-campus stadium, easily expandable to 40,000, maybe located on the hill overlooking the river, I can see TSU moving up to the FBS level someday. If Western Kentucky can do it and be a top 25 FBS team, surely TSU could with it's tradition and location in Nashville.
The plans AFAIK from about four years ago were to either fully renovate and expand Hale Stadium (which is used for regular home games outside of the John Merritt Classic and Homecoming) or tear it down and rebuild on its current footprint on campus.

As far as TSU moving up to Division I FBS someday, that's nothing more than wishful thinking at best as other HBCUs (historically black colleges and universities) have tried to test those waters in the past. Florida A&M came the closest to becoming the first to do so over a decade ago, but returned to Division I FCS after just one year in the transition period. It all comes down to money and finances (not just academics), and not every school has the means to pay their own way to move up on the NCAA division hierarchy.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 1:51 PM

MidTenn 1,

As James Owen stated, if TSU builds a new on-campus stadium, it more than likely will be in the same location as the current stadium. However, an alternate site would be across the street from the Gentry Center Complex, which is where TSU is exploring plans to develop what it is calling Cumberland City. Which is supposed to be an office, research and residential project.

As for TSU moving up to FBS, I would love to see that happen. However, there would need to be far more financial and fan support to make that happen, especially considering that TSU would have to increase the number of sports it participates in unless they receive a waiver on that requirement. James Owen also mentioned other HBCU's who attempted to move up to the next level, well only FAMU actually made the effort. And, it was a poorly planned effort. VERY poorly planned effort. Alabama State explored the move, but that was really a pie in sky dream that was put on the table to lure former TSU coach LC Cole to ASU. And, I'll stop there because there are far too many nuances to this scenario to explain and so unrelated to the purpose of this site .

As far as Vanderbilt's stadium is concerned, I would suspect that a new stadium would far exceed the one built by Alabama State. I have no issue with the ASU stadium, would love for TSU to have something similar. However, trust me when I say it doesn't even come close to what an SEC school would expect with a new stadium. It could have the tiered decking you've shown. But, it would be done on such a different scale in terms of finishes than ASU's stadium. I also, wonder just how many council members would be on board with a joint stadium project with Vanderbilt given it's a private university. I suspect there are members of the council who might be more inclined to support a joint stadium with TSU given that it's a public university. Like the BBVA Compass Stadium in which Houston's soccer team and Texas Southern University share. The issue I see with that scenario is that TSU wants an on-campus stadium, to get away from sharing an off campus stadium, where as BBVA Compass Stadium is off campus for TxSU. It's about 2.5 miles away. I also don't see the soccer team wanting to be in the TSU area since right now it is underdeveloped. Although, a stadium in that area for both TSU and a soccer team could be the catalyst to promote development.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 5:20 PM

Thanks for the clarification and enlightenment,PT, regarding the TSU stadium situation. The Alabama State example I used was to illustrate how a 40,000 seat stadium could use a two tier formation. I would expect there would be more architectural embellishment, however.

I agree that TSU needs an on-campus, exclusive stadium and I hope it comes to fruition.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 3:31 AM

A few pictures from a beautiful, 70 degree day in Nashville...

The Bridgestone North American Headquarters with about 4 more floors to go plus the decorative fins on top.

The ever deepening canyon on Demonbruen Street...

Possibly, the world's tallest honkytonk!!!

The 33 story SoBro Apartments open for business...

The 222 Office Building (to be 25 stories) still rising...

And off in the distance, in downtown, the 45 story 505CST is about halfway up...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 10:54 PM

505 Church Street

Another view of 505 Church Street under construction

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 1:28 PM

I like the photo of the Bridgestone Headquarters with the grassy green space. If I recall that's in front of the Hilton. Has that been remodeled? It seems there were some walkways and gardens. Maybe they aren't captured by the angle of your shot.

I wish Nashville would consider creating more green space like that in SoBro. They don't have to be as large but just a few to create some openness within the city core. When I visit NYC, I like walking among the tall buildings then suddenly finding one of those open niches in the streetscape. Some are simple plazas with benches. Others are like tiny parks with trees, gardens and benches. It always amazes me just how little green space it takes to create a simple relaxing environment just for a few minutes or to sit and eat lunch, etc.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
I like the photo of the Bridgestone Headquarters with the grassy green space. If I recall that's in front of the Hilton. Has that been remodeled? It seems there were some walkways and gardens. Maybe they aren't captured by the angle of your shot.
It was extensively remodeled a year or so ago to allow for a large grassy area for activities related to special events at the arena and Convention Center such as the CMA Awards and Festival (90,000 people), the Hockey All-star game and other similar events. They can put up large tents (fancy) for receptions and staging for the red carpet events or install stages for musical entertainment.

The 'Walk of Fame' was relocated to the perimeter of the park. There is an outdoor ice skating rink in one corner of the park right now.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 8:52 AM

What a impressive list of projects Nashville has going on !

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 5:17 PM

Quote:
It may be a while, but I think whatever happens will be a plus to the neighborhood. The Vandy insider on UP seems to think they want to do some bold academic development on all the land they now own along Broadway from the campus to this new purchase. He dismissed the idea of putting up the new stadium here. It would create a traffic nightmare, anyway, in addition to having no place to tailgate.

But about the stadium; the Athletic Director has been very tight-lipped about anything other than the University is looking into building a completely new, 35 to 40 thousand seat stadium, sooner than later. It may be on the site of the existing stadium (they play in the Titans stadium for a couple of years) or on a large undeveloped piece of land across the street currently used as surface parking. No other information or rendering has been released.

However, that doesn't stop me from working up my own FANTASY RENDER based on Alabama State's stadium in Montgomery.

My FANTASY RENDERING OF A NEW VANDERBILT FOOTBALL STADIUM!!
40,000 SEATS

Also related to all this news is the serious effort to attract a Major League Soccer franchise to Nashville. The City has budgeted $50 million towards a stadium and the state has agreed to extensive tax breaks to help. A partnership with Vanderbilt was mentioned in articles about the soccer effort, so we may hear something one way or another by January 31, 2017 when the application is due. There are some serious players pushing the effort.

Alas, all this is speculation is wonderful for the 'It City', but it's not an IKEA. So sad!!

NOT!!!!
As an aside, Vandy looked awful the other night.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
As an aside, Vandy looked awful the other night.
Still, it was a good season, with wins over Tennessee and Georgia, bowl game, and much improved offense. Maybe the Franklin years were not a fluke.

To put it in context of urban issues, having a major university with strong athletics can't help but make Nashville a more rounded city. It would be just one more thing that makes Nashville an extraordinary place to live, work and play. The arrival of the Oilers and Predators to Nashville, didn't put Nashville on the map. Its music and entertainment industry did that. But it did provide additional validation to its status as a major upcoming city.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Dec 31, 2016 at 1:18 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations